Wildfire(s) Out West

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Firefighters in Ontario ... much respect.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Brian, you are always welcome to move to Southwestern Ontario ... the farmers have done a real nice job of making sure trees are not a problem.  We don't get forest fires this far south ... it just goest to show that the most stable genius ever Trumps suggestion of too many trees is the problem ...  ;)
    Sounds nice!  Is there an ocean near by? lol. 

At the very least, I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive from the nearest beach.  That's already way to far.  I grew up much closer to the coast and miss being that close big time.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

No wonder I can't breathe well this morning.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    Brian, you are always welcome to move to Southwestern Ontario ... the farmers have done a real nice job of making sure trees are not a problem.  We don't get forest fires this far south ... it just goest to show that the most stable genius ever Trumps suggestion of too many trees is the problem ...  ;)

At the very least, I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive from the nearest beach.  That's already way to far.  I grew up much closer to the coast and miss being that close big time.
    I am surrounded by the Great Lakes ... no ocean but plenty of fresh water and beaches ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

I am surrounded by the Great Lakes ... no ocean but plenty of fresh water and beaches ...
    I lived close to Lake Erie for two years in the 70's.  A big lake like that is nice but there's a lot missing- the tides, the big waves, the smell (both good and not so good).  Even the Atlantic ocean has never matched my yearning to be by the Pacific, that big beautiful, abused and dying monstrous body of water. 

What did Jimi say about, "Slips into the sea/ eventually"?  He was a west coast boy too.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I lived close to Lake Erie for two years in the 70's.  A big lake like that is nice but there's a lot missing- the tides, the big waves, the smell (both good and not so good).  Even the Atlantic ocean has never matched my yearning to be by the Pacific, that big beautiful, abused and dying monstrous body of water. 

What did Jimi say about, "Slips into the sea/ eventually"?  He was a west coast boy too.
    You will not find the culture and attitudes that ocean proximity bring here in Ontario. I'm convinced that ocean proximity has a huge impact on a person's ability to relax.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

You will not find the culture and attitudes that ocean proximity bring here in Ontario. I'm convinced that ocean proximity has a huge impact on a person's ability to relax.
    A great lake just isn't the same at all. It's cool that they're there for the people in the region, but I've been on the shores of one, on a beach, with water as far as the eye can see, and as someone born and raised on the Pacific coast, I could seriously really feel the difference between that and the Pacific deep down in my soul.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think you may be right, Ben, but with exceptions.  I remember Toronto from my visit there years ago as being very culturally forward.  Is it not so?

I've just been informed that California is no longer "The Golden State".  It is now "The Tinderbox State" or "America's Tinderbox".

Isn't that the truth.

Mendocino Complex fire has broken the 300,000 acre mark.  Crazy.

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    PJ_Soul said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

A great lake just isn't the same at all. It's cool that they're there for the people in the region, but I've been on the shores of one, on a beach, with water as far as the eye can see, and as someone born and raised on the Pacific coast, I could seriously really feel the difference between that and the Pacific deep down in my soul.
    That's exactly what I mean :) From my few visits to the beautiful coasts (including one a few weeks back in Seattle), I know I'm not in the best place ;) 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    edited August 2018
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think you may be right, Ben, but with exceptions.  I remember Toronto from my visit there years ago as being very culturally forward.  Is it not so?
    Culturally forward, sure, I guess?? I'm not actually too sure what that means. People from Toronto are stereotyped as being far less relaxed compared to people on the west coast. :lol: Torontonians are basically Canada's New Yorkers as far as that goes. The west coasters are stereotyped as Canada's hippies, yoga freaks, and pot heads.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Culturally forward, sure, I guess?? I'm not actually too sure what that means. People from Toronto are stereotyped as being far less relaxed compared to people on the west coast. :lol: Torontonians are basically Canada's New Yorkers as far as that goes. The west coasters are stereotyped as Canada's hippies, yoga freaks, and pot heads.
    Well, we know that's true of almost all of us on the western fringe of North America, right?  :lol: 

Oh, and pass that bong, would ya!

Of course living by the Ocean would be great ... I'm not willing to pay outlandish living cost just to live in overly populated areas...water is water ... its all polluted the same.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2018
    Of course living by the Ocean would be great ... I'm not willing to pay outlandish living cost just to live in overly populated areas...water is water ... its all polluted the same.
    There is a whole lot of Canadian coast without a big city on it.
    Illegal campfires trigger $48,000 in fines over B.C. Day weekend

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/illegal-camp-fire-bans-prompt-48000-in-fines-over-bc-day-weekend-1.4779728

How can  people be this stupid?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Illegal campfires trigger $48,000 in fines over B.C. Day weekend

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/illegal-camp-fire-bans-prompt-48000-in-fines-over-bc-day-weekend-1.4779728

How can  people be this stupid?  
    Sock it to 'em!

I agree sock it to them...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    The smoke in metro Vancouver is horrible - we've had a thick smoke cover for days. I can taste it and feel it in my lungs. This is the 3rd year in a row with this. Before 2015, this NEVER happened from what I can recall, as someone born and raised here. We'd maybe get a haze once in a while, but never did we have smoke to thick that the sun was obscured in any way. Now it's apparently the new normal. BC is just going to burn down - it's only a matter of time.
    PJ_Soul said:
    The smoke in metro Vancouver is horrible - we've had a thick smoke cover for days. I can taste it and feel it in my lungs. This is the 3rd year in a row with this. Before 2015, this NEVER happened from what I can recall, as someone born and raised here. We'd maybe get a haze once in a while, but never did we have smoke to thick that the sun was obscured in any way. Now it's apparently the new normal. BC is just going to burn down - it's only a matter of time.
    I seen images, not sure if it was Vancouver ... it looked bad.  couldn't even see the mountains.  Do you wear a mask when outside, the 3M kind that filters this junk out?  Do you try to just stay indoors?  Still it sucks, especially since it restricts the outdoor enjoyment...stay safe and take pre-cautions to protect your lungs ... Dad and Sister both have asthma.  So I do not want to see people develop breathing problems...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    A community devastated by a wildfire sends messages to the couple whose trailer started it

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/us/carr-fire-community-sends-notes-trnd/index.html

Good to see some humanity still around.  These folks should be proud of themselves for being so kind ....
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    I seen images, not sure if it was Vancouver ... it looked bad.  couldn't even see the mountains.  Do you wear a mask when outside, the 3M kind that filters this junk out?  Do you try to just stay indoors?  Still it sucks, especially since it restricts the outdoor enjoyment...stay safe and take pre-cautions to protect your lungs ... Dad and Sister both have asthma.  So I do not want to see people develop breathing problems...
    Yeah, it's very bad. No distant views at all. The sun has pretty much just been an orange circle in the sky since Sunday evening. I have seriously considered wearing a mask just for commuting to and from work, and to the store and stuff ... but so far I've just dealt with it, with a little discomfort with a heavy feeling in my chest just from walking, and I'm mainly just staying indoors. My A/C at home really helps a lot. Every time I leave home I immediately really look forward to returning to it, lol.

It's time the world declared a state of emergency,  For all life too, not just humans.  

Here's what British Columbians are facing under a blanket of smoke and blazing wildfires

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/photos-wildfires-bc-2018-1.4786462
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Here's what British Columbians are facing under a blanket of smoke and blazing wildfires

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/photos-wildfires-bc-2018-1.4786462
    Bummer!  We had the same for about two weeks.  For the last few days we've caught a nice break due to some favorable (for us) air currents- but of course that means someone else it getting it.

Are the Canadian fires setting records in size and/ or the number of fires?

edited August 2018
    brianlux said:

Bummer!  We had the same for about two weeks.  For the last few days we've caught a nice break due to some favorable (for us) air currents- but of course that means someone else it getting it.

Are the Canadian fires setting records in size and/ or the number of fires?

2017 was when all the records were broken, and as of today there are apparently more fires burning in BC than there were last year, but I don't think the serious ones are as huge as last year. As of today there were 48 fires "of note" (meaning they are highly visible and/or pose a potential threat to public safety),  There was a state of emergency last year until mid-September though, and they seem to be expecting the same with this newly announced state of emergency. Over 600 wildfires are currently burning in BC. I remember in a recent year there being over 800, so that number isn't groundbreaking or anything.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • I can attest to the bad air.

It's f**king unbelievable right now in the Okanagan and interior. Things cleared up a bit today, but the previous two days was essentially living in the middle of a camp fire.

I'm concerned this is becoming the norm. My estimation for 2100 being about the time shit hits the fan might be way off.

Would officials tell people 'we're f**ked' in real time? Imagine the chaos that would ensue.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    The smoke from the fires in Canada hazed the sky all weekend here in Minnesota. Orange dot behind gloomy gray with air quality warnings. What would have been a gorgeous weekend up on the north shore of Lake Superior was completely blotted out by the gray hole sun. I really hope things get better up there soon.
    It's a hopeless situation...