Highly Suspect

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    It's a little heavier than I go for casual (high lol) listening, but iveI been rocking them out pretty hard on the treadmill.  The Reading set on YouTube adds almost a mile to my 30 minute warm up run.

I love Lydia, Serotonia, My Name is Human, Lost, Little One and Bath Salts so far.
    Dude shreds on the guitar, he's not at a McCready level but he's got better chops than I expected.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Am I crazy or half of these songs sound like they could be lower-tier PJ songs?  It seems like their best stuff is pretty unique, but their album tracks are stuff that remind me of Habit or My Father's Son.
  • rgambs said:
    It's a little heavier than I go for casual (high lol) listening, but iveI been rocking them out pretty hard on the treadmill.  The Reading set on YouTube adds almost a mile to my 30 minute warm up run.

I love Lydia, Serotonia, My Name is Human, Lost, Little One and Bath Salts so far.
    Dude shreds on the guitar, he's not at a McCready level but he's got better chops than I expected.
    Which album do you prefer? I like Mister Asylum a little bit more because of the energy it keeps throughout the whole album. Have you ever caught them live? 

rgambs said:
    Am I crazy or half of these songs sound like they could be lower-tier PJ songs?  It seems like their best stuff is pretty unique, but their album tracks are stuff that remind me of Habit or My Father's Son.
    I see what you are saying but I dont think either band would do the other justice on their material. Highly Suspect has an element of rap-rock that I don’t think many could successfully pull off. 

I see HS doing Soundgarden material before PJ if a cover ever happens. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I only have Boy Who Died so far and I've heard mostly songs from it.

• WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Anyone going to see them in Phoenix in April?
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    edited April 2018
    Closing slot at Coachella tonight. 

Wish I could be there.

BUT I have the next best thing and will watch the live thing being streamed on youtube... in just a few minutes. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Performance review... 

Johnny’s voice was really rough. I know he injured it in Europe and had to cancel their last two shows, but it doesnt seem like he gave it all the attention it may have needed. 

The set had to have been their shortest ever, ringing in at 6 songs if I counted correctly. It was really fun as always though and they got their fuck trump moment as well with fun graphics displayed behind them.  
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    More dates added... 

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I really want to go see them in Columbus with my brother who is obsessed with them for his birthday but my lovely (not being sarcastic there, she is lovely) wife is being a petty bitch.
    For real, no shit direct quote:
    "I don't think I can go so I don't see why you should get to have fun without me."
    Damn! That’s a bummer. Hopefully it gets figured out and you can go
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Damn! That’s a bummer. Hopefully it gets figured out and you can go
    Oh, I'll go and she can get the fuck over it lol
    I just hate that pettiness.  It's ugly.

I hope Johnny takes time to rehab his voice this spring.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    Can’t wait for the Pittsburgh show. 
    Can't wait for the Pittsburgh show as well!  Going to be a fun night.  I've been listening to Mister Asylum at the gym every day and it is one damn fine album.
    Really hoping to hear Claudeland and Lost.
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:
    Can't wait for the Pittsburgh show as well!  Going to be a fun night.  I've been listening to Mister Asylum at the gym every day and it is one damn fine album.
    Probably my two favorite songs to hear live are Lost and Mom. Im sure it will be a blast. Make sure to report back on it! 

Thy also added more dates in the fall. None very close to me unfortunately. And on Twitter Johnny said there would be new music before the end of the year
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    rgambs said:

Highly Suspect is a staple for me at the gym.
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:
    Probably my two favorite songs to hear live are Lost and Mom. Im sure it will be a blast. Make sure to report back on it! 

Thy also added more dates in the fall. None very close to me unfortunately. And on Twitter Johnny said there would be new music before the end of the year

I really want to hear the song Mister Asylum live. They rarely play it. Although they’ve been around a few years now, this is the best new band out there IMO.
    Post edited by pearldavidson on
    Tomorrow is the night for both of you! Can’t wait to hear the reviews. I have read other people saying they are back on top of their game right now. And sounds like Johnny is happy and living a little less crazy 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Fuck yeah I'm excited!!  My brother still doesn't know that he's going to the show tonight or that I am going and know all their songs!
    The show was great!  The Three Rivers Regatta was happening and the guys were walking around chatting with folks.  The set was very loose and fun, I don't know if that's common for them but it seemed like it.  We had rail just right of center and it was a ton of fun.
    I'd love to see this band break out but it's going to be tough.  Their next album is going to need to be phenomenal and lucky.
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    The show was great!  The Three Rivers Regatta was happening and the guys were walking around chatting with folks.  The set was very loose and fun, I don't know if that's common for them but it seemed like it.  We had rail just right of center and it was a ton of fun.
    I'd love to see this band break out but it's going to be tough.  Their next album is going to need to be phenomenal and lucky.

Their first album was phenomenal and the second is great, too. I think they have broken out. I’ve seen them live 6 times now and the venues are getting bigger. As far as the Pittsburgh show, it was great. They opened with Lost which was nice because every time I’ve seen them they have opened with Bath Salts. Just a great show. I can’t wait to do it again. I left that show soaked. I was jumping around a lot haha.
    Post edited by pearldavidson on
    rgambs said:

Their first album was phenomenal and the second is great, too. I think they have broken out. I’ve seen them live 6 times now and the venues are getting bigger. As far as the Pittsburgh show, it was great. They opened with Lost which was nice because every time I’ve seen them they have opened with Bath Salts. Just a great show. I can’t wait to do it again. I left that show soaked. I was jumping around a lot haha.
    I would like to see them tip up into arena show level of fame.  Big time radio play and full hockey arenas is what I would like to see, but that's tough, there aren't many bands as new as them that make it to that level. 
    It was a pretty sweaty night, but the AC was cranking and I've endured much worse at shows lol
    PJ in Stadhalle Vienna was stifling, that was a tough one, heat wise.
    We got there at 3ish and were lucky enough to be in the little entrance area that was covered so we waited in the shade, ate street tacos, and watched the Regata off and on. 
    I might come back for the Regata next year, those rocket boats were sweet.
    Looking forward to album 3. I am worried and excited all at once. The selfish part of me wants them to stay small. But that would be pretty awesome to see them command an arena stage
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    rgambs said:
    It was a pretty sweaty night, but the AC was cranking and I've endured much worse at shows lol
    We got there at 3ish and were lucky enough to be in the little entrance area that was covered so we waited in the shade, ate street tacos, and watched the Regata off and on. 

You’re correct. It is very hard for new rock bands to get to that level. This band would be a lot bigger now if the rock n roll market wasn’t so fucked up. 
    rgambs said:

You’re correct. It is very hard for new rock bands to get to that level. This band would be a lot bigger now if the rock n roll market wasn’t so fucked up. 
    They have a pop element, but not enough to break the poprock scene, and they have a hard edge, but not hard enough to break the metal scene.  That duality is what makes them better than either and more fun to listen to, but it will be hard for them to keep rising.
    The two bands I think of are Kings of Leon and Five Finger Death Punch.  They are halfway between the two and way better than either, but I just have a hard time imagining them breaking it as wide as that.

And like drake said, I want them to be big for their sake and it would be fun to see them rock an arena...but a 3 hour wait for rail is easy peasey and even the back of that pit was closer than 95% of fans will ever see PJ.
    I wonder why more people that frequent the board havent heard of them or maybe dont like them? It’s always interesting to read other thoughts on a band. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    I wonder why more people that frequent the board havent heard of them or maybe dont like them? It’s always interesting to read other thoughts on a band. 

I’m surprised by that, too. Oh well. I think they’re amazing.
    Way better than most of the newerish bands that are popular in PJ circles... Arctic Monkeys and MMJ in particular I don't understand the love.  I even think Highly Suspect is at least equal to if not better than QOTSA. 
    rgambs said:
    Way better than most of the newerish bands that are popular in PJ circles... Arctic Monkeys and MMJ in particular I don't understand the love.  I even think Highly Suspect is at least equal to if not better than QOTSA. 
    I’m not sure I have ever agreed with a post more than this ha
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    rgambs said:
    I agree with your first two, but not the last. QOTSA are amazing.
    It's a hopeless situation...