Highly Suspect

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,187
    I wonder why more people that frequent the board havent heard of them or maybe dont like them? It’s always interesting to read other thoughts on a band. 
    I really like Bloodfeather, but find the rest just ok. The fuzzy guitars get to be a bit much. I hear a mix of Kings of Leon, Bush and the Foo on their debut album.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    I do also really like My Name is Human, but I haven't listened to much from the 2nd album. I'll have to delve into it more.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I didn't think My Name is Human would translate well live, but it really did.  That chorus is powerful and catchy.

Claudeland to me sounds like it could be a cover of a PJ song.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,364
    I am really hooked on Vanity and it may be my favorite song by them. Seeing Mom live was insane also and really changed my opinion on it
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    I am really hooked on Vanity and it may be my favorite song by them. Seeing Mom live was insane also and really changed my opinion on it
    Vanity is awesome and probably a top 3 Suspect song for me. Please tell me you saw Johnny do it solo acoustic on YouTube?
    Vanity is awesome and probably a top 3 Suspect song for me. Please tell me you saw Johnny do it solo acoustic on YouTube?
    I think you are referencing the Spotify sessions? Really great version. Listen to that one a bunch
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    We were the group shouting for Guess What in Pittsburgh, and they played it and it was obvious most people didn't know it.  That surprised me that it isn't well-known because YouTube suggested it for me.
    I think you are referencing the Spotify sessions? Really great version. Listen to that one a bunch

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hDH7D8_31X8
    Fuck yeah, the Napster one is the one Ive listened to and its better than the Spotify version.
    rgambs said:
    Fuck yeah, the Napster one is the one Ive listened to and its better than the Spotify version.

god I fucken love it lol
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    Way better than most of the newerish bands that are popular in PJ circles... Arctic Monkeys and MMJ in particular I don't understand the love.  I even think Highly Suspect is at least equal to if not better than QOTSA. 
    I agree with your first two, but not the last. QOTSA are amazing.
    Agreed, QOTSA is way, way, way better than Highly Suspect.... But Highly Suspect is pretty good.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    You can definitely hear some QOTSA in Suspect’s music. I suspect that Suspect was influenced by them. No pun intended.  :D. The song Postres comes to mind.
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    Way better than most of the newerish bands that are popular in PJ circles... Arctic Monkeys and MMJ in particular I don't understand the love.  I even think Highly Suspect is at least equal to if not better than QOTSA. 
    Agreed, QOTSA is way, way, way better than Highly Suspect.... But Highly Suspect is pretty good.

Eh, I don't dislike QOTSA, but they are pretty highly touted.  I think they are just about as overhyped as Foo Fighters, who I also like...but neither of them is as good as people want them to be.  I guess I should just be glad they all aren't Five Finger Death Punch because I can't bear to listen to them and accept their massive success.
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Eh, I don't dislike QOTSA, but they are pretty highly touted.  I think they are just about as overhyped as Foo Fighters, who I also like...but neither of them is as good as people want them to be.  I guess I should just be glad they all aren't Five Finger Death Punch because I can't bear to listen to them and accept their massive success.
    I think the Foo Fighters absolutely suck shit, music-wise. They are barely better than Nickelback as far as I'm concerned. Meanwhile QOTSA is one of my favorite bands of all time and their music and artistic style is truly genius (and I could barely believe my eyes when someone placed them and Highly Suspect on a similar level TBH). I don't think 'people wanting them to be good' is the issue in any case though. I'm not deluding myself into loving QOTSA. I truly do feel they are that amazing, just like big Foos fans truly think that crap is amazing, lol. ;)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Five Dinner Death Pinch (according to my auto correct :lol:) are annoying as F. I do see your point about QOTSA because I find the Foos a tad annoying and over hyped even though I like some of their stuff. I do appreciate Dave's love for music though.

Either way, I enjoy listening to Highly Suspect and hope more new rock bands start breaking out again. It's a slim field these days unless you're over 50.
    edited August 2018
    I feel like the issue with Highly Suspect is the vocals. I don't think there is much power behind the guy's voice, and he's got a bit of a generic kind of sound. I like the music and the writing, but the feel of the vocals just leaves them a little bit flat at the end of the day. Even then, I still like them alright, but it could be a way better band with a more unique-sounding and powerful singer IMHO.
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

I think the Foo Fighters absolutely suck shit, music-wise. They are barely better than Nickelback as far as I'm concerned. Meanwhile QOTSA is one of my favorite bands of all time and their music and artistic style is truly genius (and I could barely believe my eyes when someone placed them and Highly Suspect on a similar level TBH). I don't think 'people wanting them to be good' is the issue in any case though. I'm not deluding myself into loving QOTSA. I truly do feel they are that amazing, just like big Foos fans truly think that crap is amazing, lol. ;)
    Welllllll, you not only like Bugs, but you actually claim it's good sooooo.....:wink:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:

Welllllll, you not only like Bugs, but you actually claim it's good sooooo.....:wink:

:lol:;)
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    Saw some of their live stuff on YouTube today and I was intrigued - raw and dirty. Then I listened to their studio stuff on Spotify and I'm not interested at all. Definitely sounds like corporate polish to appeal to teen and twenty-something demographic. I don't hear anything new, honest or groundbreaking. As someone else said they kinda sound like King Of Leon, Bush and Foo Fighters...but not nearly as good as any of those bands. Sorry...I listened to both albums and only liked a couple of songs. Wouldn't listen to them again. I won't diss them and I hope they bring some younger kids into the "rock" genre, but they are just not for me. 
    edited August 2018
    I almost find it insulting to hear anyone thinks they sound like KOL. I really am not a fan of them. Im still trying to really get into qotsa. I dunno, they both kind of bore me when I work through their stuff. Highly Suspect was just this immediate click. 

And yeah, that version pearl linked above is very good too
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited August 2018
    I almost find it insulting to hear anyone thinks they sound like KOL. I really am not a fan of them. Im still trying to really get into qotsa. I dunno, they both kind of bore me when I work through their stuff. Highly Suspect was just this immediate click. 

Well, that's how it goes. Specific artists' music just really, really speaks to some people, while others think the same music is total crap, lol. For example... there seem to be a tons of PJ fans who also think DMB is amazing.... Ugh, omg, DMB is the WORST as far as I'm concerned and I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that people who are touched deeply by PJ could also find DMB appealing in any way. But the DMB people are nuts for that shit! =)  Go figure. If I'm "missing something", then I'm fine with that, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, that's how it goes. Specific artists' music just really, really speaks to some people, while others think the same music is total crap, lol. For example... there seem to be a tons of PJ fans who also think DMB is amazing.... Ugh, omg, DMB is the WORST as far as I'm concerned and I find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that people who are touched deeply by PJ could also find DMB appealing in any way. But the DMB people are nuts for that shit! =)  Go figure. If I'm "missing something", then I'm fine with that, lol.
    Other than 2 songs, just about the only thing I like about DMB is that he seems like a genuine and good person.
    edited August 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Other than 2 songs, just about the only thing I like about DMB is that he seems like a genuine and good person.
    Oh sure, I believe you. Same with Dave Grohl with the Foos. I hate his voice, but he seems like a really great guy. The whole band seem like great guys. They are super likeable, despite their canned rock. I get how they probably have a good stage presence. Although I can't go that for about Dave Matthews. I got stuck at a DMB show once and I really wasn't going for their stage vibe at all. I assume many others do though - fans seem to think their shows are fantastic for some reason.
    edited August 2018
    From their facebook...

“Ok so we’re just gonna be super transparent and candid here on Facebook as a sort of official announcement to let you know the plan. Everyone’s been asking so, I guess if you see this and your friends are asking too just spread it around. Reddit or wherever the fuck it needs to go”

Not letting me post the whole thing for some reason, so here is the link: 

https://www.facebook.com/185902445436/posts/10160824721005437/
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    From their facebook...

“Ok so we’re just gonna be super transparent and candid here on Facebook as a sort of official announcement to let you know the plan. Everyone’s been asking so, I guess if you see this and your friends are asking too just spread it around. Reddit or wherever the fuck it needs to go”

Not letting me post the whole thing for some reason, so here is the link: 

https://www.facebook.com/185902445436/posts/10160824721005437/
    awesome!
    They certainly at least talk a good game. I'm interested to hear it after that description.
    PJ_Soul said:
    They certainly at least talk a good game. I'm interested to hear it after that description.
    have you seen them live before?
    edited August 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh no. I've only gone as far as casually checking out their catalogue on Spotify. I only think they're okay from what I've listened to. I find the vocals a bit bland.... Although that means there is room for improvement, lol. There are a couple songs I particularly like.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Oh no. I've only gone as far as casually checking out their catalogue on Spotify. I only think they're okay from what I've listened to. I find the vocals a bit bland.... Although that means there is room for improvement, lol. There are a couple songs I particularly like.
    Check them out live if you ever get the chance. I think they're the best new band around. IMO.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Check them out live if you ever get the chance. I think they're the best new band around. IMO.
    Their new album here is going to have to be a lot better than what they've already done (IMO) for me to feel inspired to pay money for tickets TBH. And hey, maybe it will be. :) So far they've only reached "that not a bad song to have turn up in my Discover Weekly playlist" status, haha.