Highly Suspect

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Haven't heard it yet, but I will retain hope since I thought 16 was twice as good as Upperdrugs.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,364
    rgambs said:
    Haven't heard it yet, but I will retain hope since I thought 16 was twice as good as Upperdrugs.
    It seems like Johnny wants to be a solo artist. It’s him and Young Thug. I thought maybe we would get RATM vibes when he mentioned some rap songs, but it’s just mainstream and rather boring to me.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    rgambs said:
    It seems like Johnny wants to be a solo artist. It’s him and Young Thug. I thought maybe we would get RATM vibes when he mentioned some rap songs, but it’s just mainstream and rather boring to me.
    I’m actually enjoying Tokyo Ghoul. However, I’m hoping for an album that is more Rock N Roll than anything else. And yeah, when they are putting stuff on IG saying “featuring terriblejohnny.” It sounds like he does want to go solo. I’m willing to bet that any hip hop on this album is Johnny’s doing. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if they broke up someday.

Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,613
    As a huge fan of the first two albums, I'm not a fan of the 3 new songs I've heard so far.  Ive given the first two a few weeks and neither has grown on me.  Oh well...
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II

I did see this.
    As a huge fan of the first two albums, I'm not a fan of the 3 new songs I've heard so far.  Ive given the first two a few weeks and neither has grown on me.  Oh well...
    I hear you man... I’m kinda on the disappointed side myself.
    I hear you man... I’m kinda on the disappointed side myself.
    We still have collaborations with Gojira and Nothing But Thieves left to hear. So that’s promising on the rock front. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Looks like I’ll get to see these guys in Pittsburgh!! It will be my only concert this year. Yikes. 
    Looks like I’ll get to see these guys in Pittsburgh!! It will be my only concert this year. Yikes. 
    Awesome! I am getting excited for the Atlanta show already. And I have time to digest the new album before the show too, which I always appreciate more than going into it cold. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Awesome! I am getting excited for the Atlanta show already. And I have time to digest the new album before the show too, which I always appreciate more than going into it cold. 
    I agree. It’s nice to warm up to the new tunes.
    Canals drops Friday 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Canals drops Friday 

I’ve listened to it about 5 times this morning. Anyone else put newly released songs on repeat just to see if you like it or not?
    Canals drops Friday 

I’ve listened to it about 5 times this morning. Anyone else put newly released songs on repeat just to see if you like it or not?
    I have given it 3 rounds now. Just like the others, I am not sure how to feel. I want to love it, but it hasn’t clicked yet. It feels like the lyrics are forced both in writing and music pairing. I enjoy different elements on their own. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Canals drops Friday 

I have given it 3 rounds now. Just like the others, I am not sure how to feel. I want to love it, but it hasn’t clicked yet. It feels like the lyrics are forced both in writing and music pairing. I enjoy different elements on their own. 
    I THINK I like it more than the other songs to be honest, but I’m not in love with it.... for now. Definitely not in love with any of the other songs. 
    Tonight is the night! I’m excited and prepared to be confused. I will be listening at midnight (hope it’s worth it). 

Enjoy MCID everyone. Looking forward to hearing the reviews. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • What a weird fucking album. 

I felt like I was in an alternate universe playing sonic the hedgehog. It’s going to take a while to process. Had it’s high and low points, but after the first listen I really think it had a lot more highs for me personally. 

It’s hard to listen to it and not think it’s Johnny’s first solo album. 

Lyrics are strange/simple at times and the album doesn’t flow all that well, but overall I (think) am pleased. Some really great songs sprinkled in. I really hate the filler ~1 minute instrumental songs. Not because they are bad necessarily, but they feel unnecessary.  

After I go through it a few more times I am going to get back to everyone about thoughts on individual songs.

My last thought, more of a feeling really, it felt like a goodbye in a sense. A goodbye as in their last album? Johnny leaving? goodbye to expectations? Or maybe just rather depressing lyrics? I don’t know how to describe it much more than those questions and the general feeling at the moment. It’s all just weird and mixed feelings. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • So I listened a second time. I think the anticipation and hope carried my enjoyment the first time. 

I like about 4 songs and love 2 at the moment. Even knowing they were going to change styles, I was open to it. Execution was pretty bad. Lyrics are... well... meh. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited November 2019
    So I listened a second time. I think the anticipation and hope carried my enjoyment the first time. 

I like about 4 songs and love 2 at the moment. Even knowing they were going to change styles, I was open to it. Execution was pretty bad. Lyrics are... well... meh. 

I gave the album two rounds & shit.... I don’t really have anything good to say..... for now. The album lacks real instruments and real vocals. Johhny has good pipes, but chooses to rap too much. I am disappointed, but will it grown on me? It has a chance just like any other album I listened to. I agree with you on the lyrics... Johnny’s worst really. All being said, my favorite tracks are Canals, Arizona & These Days. What songs do you like?
    edited November 2019
    My top 3 that I really enjoy would be Snow White, Upperdrugs (it finally clicked) and Taking Off. Taking Off is very different, but I get a Bowie x QOTSA vibe that is awesome. 

The others I like would be Canals, These Days, and Arizona. Lyrics on these aren’t spectacular, but I can get past it enough to enjoy them. 

Freakstreet and the fillers I really (really!) could do without completely. If @tddybear wasn’t so blatantly about a teddy bear, I think it has merits as a song. 

All songs not mentioned I would just say I am indifferent to at the moment. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    Not a fan of this album. Mister Asylum is a classic, The Boy Who.. is a solid follow up with a couple tracks worth skipping, and MCID is just them falling apart. I don't have any issue with experimenting/branching out/evolving at all, but this just misses the mark. The lyrics throughout the album are half assed and lazy. Musically, it just isn't up to par with either of their first two albums.

It's quite obvious that Johnny is looking to take this thing more and more on his own, which is fine. I just much prefer pushing the boundaries as a band, and not an electronic hip hop act.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,613
    edited November 2019
    Album 3 is an Incredible rock band turning into hip hop with boring basic lyrics 

I’ve given it a few listens and I think they lost me with this one.  Would still see them live if the set lists are heavy on first two albums
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
  • Meet & greet tonight! Excited to experience the new stuff live. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited November 2019
    I love this fucking band. Still amazing, new stuff was even better live. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • My short and sweet review from Atlanta. I had bought the meet and greet tickets with no expectations and basically thought, why the hell not. Fast forward to actually doing it, I wouldn’t really call it worth the money, but still enjoyable. There wasn’t time for much interaction and they shuffled you through the photo line really quick. Basically got to shake their hand and thank them for the music, snap photo, and move on. We couldn’t even use our own phone for the photo. To top it off, Johnny wasn’t present. I didn’t mind that at all, it is what it is, but some of the people there were not happy about it and could not stop bitching while we waited to be allowed into the actual stage area (Tabernacle is beautiful by the way). The complaining annoyed me more than him not being there. I get that we paid for it, but geez! And come to find out Johnny was basically having a rough day with his anxiety / not feeling well in general and that was the reason for his absence. What ended up being the main perk out of all this was getting to the rail and not having to run to beat people for it. For $150 though? Probably won’t be doing it again any time soon. 

The actual show was nothing less than amazing, per usual. The only real difference compared to the last two times I have seen them was Johnny talked a bunch more, but it didn’t seem to disrupt the flow. New songs sounded great and the highlight of my night was hearing Snow White. The addition of Matt Kofos on guitar is great and by all my personal accounts he is genuinely a super nice guy; even came back out to the barricade after people started clearing out to take selfies and such. They played a solid 2 hours and the energy in that room was on another level and you could tell the band could feel it and were responding to it. I expected them to play a couple more songs, but I am going to attribute them ending a little early to Johnny’s bad day. 

Can’t wait to see them again in February!

And the opening band, Sloth Rust, is definitely worth a listen. They almost remind of Primus in ways. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    pjpitt89 said:
    Not a fan of this album. Mister Asylum is a classic, The Boy Who.. is a solid follow up with a couple tracks worth skipping, and MCID is just them falling apart. I don't have any issue with experimenting/branching out/evolving at all, but this just misses the mark. The lyrics throughout the album are half assed and lazy. Musically, it just isn't up to par with either of their first two albums.

It's quite obvious that Johnny is looking to take this thing more and more on his own, which is fine. I just much prefer pushing the boundaries as a band, and not an electronic hip hop act.

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 
    edited December 2019
    My short and sweet review from Atlanta. I had bought the meet and greet tickets with no expectations and basically thought, why the hell not. Fast forward to actually doing it, I wouldn’t really call it worth the money, but still enjoyable. There wasn’t time for much interaction and they shuffled you through the photo line really quick. Basically got to shake their hand and thank them for the music, snap photo, and move on. We couldn’t even use our own phone for the photo. To top it off, Johnny wasn’t present. I didn’t mind that at all, it is what it is, but some of the people there were not happy about it and could not stop bitching while we waited to be allowed into the actual stage area (Tabernacle is beautiful by the way). The complaining annoyed me more than him not being there. I get that we paid for it, but geez! And come to find out Johnny was basically having a rough day with his anxiety / not feeling well in general and that was the reason for his absence. What ended up being the main perk out of all this was getting to the rail and not having to run to beat people for it. For $150 though? Probably won’t be doing it again any time soon. 

The actual show was nothing less than amazing, per usual. The only real difference compared to the last two times I have seen them was Johnny talked a bunch more, but it didn’t seem to disrupt the flow. New songs sounded great and the highlight of my night was hearing Snow White. The addition of Matt Kofos on guitar is great and by all my personal accounts he is genuinely a super nice guy; even came back out to the barricade after people started clearing out to take selfies and such. They played a solid 2 hours and the energy in that room was on another level and you could tell the band could feel it and were responding to it. I expected them to play a couple more songs, but I am going to attribute them ending a little early to Johnny’s bad day. 

Can’t wait to see them again in February!

And the opening band, Sloth Rust, is definitely worth a listen. They almost remind of Primus in ways. 

I went to the show last night in Pittsburgh. Johnny butchered a lot of vocals. He came in late often and seemed to be barely singing. To be fair, his guitar solos were all great. I’ve seen this band 7 times now and last night was the worst of it. The highlight of the show was My Name is Human. They fucken slayed that track. Snow White & These Days were pretty decent. They played a new song called Everything is Sex and I enjoyed it. Freakstreet & Fly were ok at best, but I hardly like either song. Decent show, but Johnny’s performance wasn’t all that good. 

& yes slothrust is a darn good band

It seems you had a better experience than me Drake. I’m glad you enjoyed it!
    Post edited by pearldavidson on
  • jwhjr17jwhjr17 Posts: 1,878
    Saw them last night in Minneapolis.  5th time seeing them and by far the worst.  Johnny was really struggling (mentioned something about losing his voice).  Luckily for them since it was a part of a combo show they had a short set and only 9 songs.  I've enjoyed seeing them less and less each time as they appear to enjoy it less and less themselves.  It's sad really, but I'll still see them if they come through again as last night wasn't really a good representation of a regular show.
    1998-06-30 Mpls | 2006-07-06 Las Vegas | 2010-05-03 Kansas City | 2011-07-01 St. Louis EV | 2011-07-02 Mpls EV | 2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20 | 2011-09-17 Winnipeg | 2012-09-30 Missoula | 2012-11-18 Tulsa EV | 2013-07-19 Chicago | 2013-11-15 Dallas
    2013-11-16 OKC | 2014-10-09 Lincoln | 2014-10-17 Moline | 2014-10-19 St. Paul | 2014-10-20 Milwaukee | 2016-08-20 Chicago
    2016-08-22 Chicago | 2018-08-18 Chicago | 2018-08-20 Chicago | 2022-05-09 Phoenix | 2022-05-20 Las Vegas | 2022-09-18 St. Louis 
    2022-09-20 OKC | 2023-08-31 St. Paul | 2023-09-02 St. Paul | **2024-05-16 Las Vegas** | **2024-05-18 Las Vegas** |
  • What a bummer to read^^! 

It seems like Johnny hates touring now. Strange times, but I hope he does something that makes him happy soon. I have come around to enjoying most of MCID at least. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016