2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    So who is going to shoot and or play defense for the Lakers next year?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Next year's All Star Game: Golden State vs The World
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Lakers will make the playoffs.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    edited July 2018
    Warriors got even better. Cousins signs 1 year deal. And for $5.3 million
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Cancel the season 
    igotid88 said:
    Boogie Cousins?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    It's ridiculous.  Although it's interesting because the max contracts were intended to create league parity.  Who knew that players would take less money to win? Cousins is taking 20% of his market value.  Crazy. 
    Ha! Big goals next year for Bron Bron!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 612
    mrussel1 said:
    It's ridiculous.  Although it's interesting because the max contracts were intended to create league parity.  Who knew that players would take less money to win? Cousins is taking 20% of his market value.  Crazy. 
    Exactly, sometimes these players can’t win. Take the money and play for a losing franchise and you’re branded a loser. Take less money to play in the best situation and you’re just taking the easy way out. If I was a player I know what I’d do, sign with the best team in a city I like with teammates I enjoy playing with. The difference in the Max vs Super Max contracts is a lot but really how much is your quality of life going to change whether you have $250 million in the bank vs $150 million? Even if you could buy happiness I’m pretty sure it can be acquired for 1% of what these guys are making,
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
    Just the playoffs.  Not planning on them going very far.

Lakers sign Rondo to a 1 year deal.

Yeah, I know.

Weird team they have around him. It's like he's wasting a year of his career....pretty late in his career.

chinese-happy.jpg

Yeah, I know.

Weird team they have around him. It's like he's wasting a year of his career....pretty late in his career.

I feel like he's settling his family in California for good, and beginning his post basketball life.  It's really crazy because he's been around forever,  yet in the corporate world,  he'd be considered very young.  Nice life. 
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    How about that brawl in the Australia vs. Phillipines game?!
    I wonder if Maker will get suspended in the NBA?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Saw that. It's always painful to watch basketball players fight. No one ever knows how to punch
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

I feel like he's settling his family in California for good, and beginning his post basketball life.  It's really crazy because he's been around forever,  yet in the corporate world,  he'd be considered very young.  Nice life. 
    Apparently the high school Lebron Jr will go to also has Pippen’s and Kenyon Martin’s kids on the bball team. They might be better than the Lakers.
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

His segue into the business aspect full time will be a breeze for him.  He's surrounded himself around 3 other people his whole life and the four of them have amassed a billion dollar person in Lebron and branched out into a budding production company.

He is a force to be reckoned with outside of basketball.

Go Lakers.  They might have piecemeal enough talent to do something interesting this year.  Let's see.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    hoping the sixers land leonard.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    igotid88 said:
    Boogie Cousins?
    no DeMarcus :tongue:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    igotid88 said:
    Boogie Cousins?
    no DeMarcus :tongue:
    Cute, lol.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

Go Lakers.  They might have piecemeal enough talent to do something interesting this year.  Let's see.
    Interesting is probably the right word.
    LeBron's biggest on court nemesis in recent years, Lance Stephenson now a teammate.
    LeBron's biggest off court nemesis in recent years, Lavar Ball now a constant presence (unless they trade his kid)
    Super genius JaVale Magee getting beautiful passes from LeBron only to have uncontested layups blocked by the rim on a nightly basis.
    Petulant former LeBron hater Rajon Rondo as point guard making Lonzo Ball and his possibly worse than Rondo's outside shot (but way better than Markell Fultz's shot) redundant, and how that sits with wannabe Laker coach/GM/owner Lavar Ball.
    And Magic Johnson who famously traded for the contracts of Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez helming the ship.

It won't be boring that's for sure. It will be a terribly dysfunctional basketball team. LeBron himself will probably will them to 42 wins and a 7 or 8 seed out west and a first round exit, but the supporting cast is such a band of misfits its laughable.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

LeBron's biggest on court nemesis in recent years, Lance Stephenson now a teammate.
    LeBron's biggest off court nemesis in recent years, Lavar Ball now a constant presence (unless they trade his kid)
    Super genius JaVale Magee getting beautiful passes from LeBron only to have uncontested layups blocked by the rim on a nightly basis.
    Petulant former LeBron hater Rajon Rondo as point guard making Lonzo Ball and his possibly worse than Rondo's outside shot (but way better than Markell Fultz's shot) redundant, and how that sits with wannabe Laker coach/GM/owner Lavar Ball.
    And Magic Johnson who famously traded for the contracts of Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez helming the ship.

It won't be boring that's for sure. It will be a terribly dysfunctional basketball team. LeBron himself will probably will them to 42 wins and a 7 or 8 seed out west and a first round exit, but the supporting cast is such a band of misfits its laughable.
    Hence my term piecemeal, lol.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Geez, I unplug for a few days and seems I've missed everything.

Not really surprised Lebron is going to LA, but I am a little surprised he didn't wait a little bit to see what happened via trades.

Boogie to Golden State kind of caught me off guard.
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

Don't forget IT IV.... he's still there, correct?  
    edited July 2018
    I'll root for the Lakers now because I'm a Clevelendar and LBJ did what he did for us.  But damn it will be a little bit harder knowing that it's also supporting Lance.  
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

No, Lakers renounced his rights and he's a free agent, probably headed to Disney World.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Poncier said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah, I know.

No, Lakers renounced his rights and he's a free agent, probably headed to Disney World.
    Ah, thanks for the info.  I was really confused why they signed Rondo but now it makes more sense.  
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I already hear the narrative.

"They need 5 all-stars to beat a 34 year old man."  :weary:
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Saw that. It's always painful to watch basketball players fight. No one ever knows how to punch
    That fight was a disgrace and what was worse was the Filipino coach trying to justify his players and staffs actions after. Yes, the Australian player, Daniel Kickert should not have retaliated after the foul on Goulding in the key. He should have been ejected and suspended, but the way the Filipino players (Andre Blatche plays for them now??), their bench and officials and crowd got involved was a disgrace. Thon Maker's actions didn't look good, but the Australians had 5 players on the court getting swamped by 20+ people, so he had to try and stick up for his team mates. At one stage , Goulding was pinned on the ground with about 6-8 players and officials punching and kicking him and chairs were also being used/thrown.
    Natahn Sobey was coward punched by an official right in the jaw and then had  a chair lobbed at him. Thank god that the great Lucian Longley came in and cleared the people away from Goulding. Again, their coach tried to justify the beating by saying Goulding was flopping and also sledging his players - just ridiculous to try and justify that. He can be heard in a time out saying to his team " Just go out and hit someone, put them on the floor". He should have his licence torn up

FIBA needs to come down HARD on this and suspend Kickert and then throw the Philippines out of the comp and take the 2023 World Cup away from them. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    where's the buzz for the raul neto re-signing? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    New Orleans offered Cousins a 2 year/40 million contract right before the Playoffs started.  He turned it down. They pulled the offer.