Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited June 2018
    Saw a rabbit in my front yard this morning. I'm guessing he's surviving off of our neighbor's garden lol. Couldn't get my phone out quick enough to get a picture before he scampered off. I hope he's careful though, because the neighbor behind my house has seen (and killed :( ) 3 snakes in the last couple of months.

Every summer we get some beautiful cardinals that nest close by. Have yet to see them, but with as hot as it's been, I haven't spent too much time outside.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    brianlux said:

To be clear, I did not imply that my very real story was funny or amusing. In fact, I specifically made mention that it was sad. Further, the above referenced post was in response to another member discussing this very topic, perhaps even worse. I can only surmise that because those posts were not criticized, critiqued or mocked, that maybe your familiarity with certain people gives them a "pass" if you will.

As it stands, I do enjoy, respect and understand that which is wildlife. This thread is a good thread with some great photos and, in my opinion should remain open. For the more sensitive on this forum, I will remove my post that is in question. 
    Yeah, sorry about that.  The other post bugged me too.  Sorry if I misunderstood yours. 

It's not about being overly sensitive,  I've seen gory stuff in both civilization and nature and understand that  is part of life.  But I'd like to suggest we stick with just wildlife that visits our homes, where ever they may be.

Again, sorry if I offended. 

Let's keep it going.
    Thanks Brian...we're good. As we all know, it's often times difficult to understand a persons emotions via typed word. 

Now, I live in NW Indiana and our wildlife is mostly deer, a few couote, and a handful of fox. Keep those bad ass pictures coming in people!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:

To be clear, I did not imply that my very real story was funny or amusing. In fact, I specifically made mention that it was sad. Further, the above referenced post was in response to another member discussing this very topic, perhaps even worse. I can only surmise that because those posts were not criticized, critiqued or mocked, that maybe your familiarity with certain people gives them a "pass" if you will.

As it stands, I do enjoy, respect and understand that which is wildlife. This thread is a good thread with some great photos and, in my opinion should remain open. For the more sensitive on this forum, I will remove my post that is in question. 
    Yeah, sorry about that.  The other post bugged me too.  Sorry if I misunderstood yours. 

It's not about being overly sensitive,  I've seen gory stuff in both civilization and nature and understand that  is part of life.  But I'd like to suggest we stick with just wildlife that visits our homes, where ever they may be.

Again, sorry if I offended. 

Let's keep it going.
    Thanks Brian...we're good. As we all know, it's often times difficult to understand a persons emotions via typed word. 

Now, I live in NW Indiana and our wildlife is mostly deer, a few couote, and a handful of fox. Keep those bad ass pictures coming in people!
    :plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• camsjamcamsjam Posts: 375

In the park where I walk the dogs.  It was about 5-6 feet away from us.  Just sat there, calm as you please, and watched us watching it.
    Wow...that's beautiful!
    Saw this faceoff when backing out of the driveway. The roadrunner lives in our backyard and we call him Rocky. Don't know who's cat this is. 
    Here he is posing on our roof
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    The loss of the bunnny is sad Brian, but I don’t think sharing the story was intended to upset anyone or to derail the thread.  Sadly, it’s the cycle if life.  

Here is something to cheer you up though.  I took it in my garden this afternoon.  Peace & love to you.

That's a cool looking butterfly, different shape to what I am used to, more like a bat.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,705
    Nature is wonderful  and glorious 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    The loss of the bunnny is sad Brian, but I don’t think sharing the story was intended to upset anyone or to derail the thread.  Sadly, it’s the cycle if life.  

Here is something to cheer you up though.  I took it in my garden this afternoon.  Peace & love to you.

That's a cool looking butterfly, different shape to what I am used to, more like a bat.
    I believe it's a moth.

I believe it's a moth.
    :smile:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

camsjam said:
    Here he is posing on our roof
    Roadrunners are so cool!  

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    chinese-happy.jpg

• Looks like some solid bocce games could be played on that spread!
    "My brain's a good brain!"

Looks like some solid bocce games could be played on that spread!
    LOL.

I think the deer is saying, "Hey, I'd of mowed that lawn for you.  Just open the gate!"

There are times when there’s 10ish deer back there just hanging out. My dog has gradually grown to get used to them. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    ^^^ That's quite a herd! 

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Sweet!

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Roadrunners, bunnies and deer, oh my.  So cool. 
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    heard an animal in our apartment complex around 3:30-4:00 this morning.  Thought it was like a cat at first but I don't think it was.  Went outside to look for it but it must have heard me and left.  Heard it again a few minutes later and went outside again to see what it was.  Heard it in the bushes close by went to look and it scampered away.  I think it was a fox (only saw the back of it).  And the sound it was making didn't really sound like a cat.  Seen them in the complex before so i'm guessing that's what it was. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited July 2018
    I have green acres directly across the street from me so I get a lot of wildlife. Lately I ve been getting Lots of  hummingbirds (first time ever) and this morning I woke up to these guys: 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Now I know why your forum location is set as "Behind that bush over there." lol
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    That s all I have so far
     A moth
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That moth is beautiful.  It looks like old lace.

Came across a tiny 7 cm garter snake on my walk yesterday.  Couldn’t get my camera out in time before it slithered off into the underbrush.  It was cute  :)
    That moth is beautiful.  It looks like old lace.

Came across a tiny 7 cm garter snake on my walk yesterday.  Couldn’t get my camera out in time before it slithered off into the underbrush.  It was cute  :)
    You carry a tape measure on your walks?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited July 2018
    Nope, just very good at estimatating size and distance.  Fare thee warned says I!  Yaaar
    Yes we thought old lace as well =)
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

You have a very green yard Juggler.
    Do you live rural?
    That s all I have so far
     A moth
    Nice! 

I'll have to try to remember to get take photos of our outdoor and indoor mini-wildlife as well.