dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    this seems to be a gunfight over stupid shit.

not that the festival was a target.
    That's what i figured.  
    I am sure the shooter went through all the proper background checks, fingerprinted, got a referral from his boss and had a current firearms id card.
    Scruffy are you being sarcastic?
    But of course (although that is what you actually have to go through in nj to get a firearm).  He was a known gang member who just got out of jail for homicide; legally he can't even own a firearm.

I’d be willing to bet that gun laws weren’t even on the gangsta’s radar. 

Yeah I believe he had an extended mag which are illegal in the people's republic of new jersey.
    PJpower you'll love this: nj just changed their tight gun laws yet again to 10 rounds max.  So I know have to either forfeit all my 15 round mags or pay to get them blocked.  I hate this state.
    I’m sure all residents are good little law abiding citizens like you and will comply with those magazine laws.  How are the authorities going to even know who is complying and who is not?  I’m guessing they are not going door to door checking everything everyone owns...I bet it makes someone feel good, though.  Gotta pander to the gun control crowd’s feelings now and then when not actually doing anything to make a difference.   

That is why I am a big proponent of H-Bombs for all.  If criminals can get their hands on them, we might as well make them legal then.  Same with bank robberies.  Criminals do them so let's just make it legal for all.  Give me your address and I'm going to steal your TV and valuables since that is currently illegal, but in your world there is no need for laws if people just break them.
    No, I understand the need for laws, just not ones that absolutely cannot be enforced.
    Also not a fan of laws that essentially turn someone into a criminal for possession of something they purchased legally.  Thanks again captain exaggeration.
    Here's a quick pro tip, when someone commits a crime with a banned weapon or accessory they will probably have added charges and jail time. Does that make you feel better?
    I have zero problem with that.  I do have a problem that these new laws have effectively made hundreds of thousands of gun owners criminals after they were purchased legally. 
    Exactly!  I know we were joking about I earlier, but what about calibers that use the same mags (.458 socom and .223)?  If it were labeled a .458 SOCOM mag, would it be legal since it can only hold 10 rounds of that caliber?  There are so many loopholes...but if it makes people feel good, then I guess it is a good law.
    I would think that it would be legal.  I have an ithaca .22 lr that my grandmother gave my grandfather before entering the service during ww2 (made around 1942)...it is a tubular magazine that holds 15 rounds.  I'm guessing I have to turn that in (which is complete bs)?
    Yikes, I haven’t read your new law, but are you sure it does not just apply to detachable mags (no tubular)?  Sorry you are having to “try” to comply with poorly constructed feel good laws.  What is keeping you in NJ?  Texas has plenty of opportunities and you would not be a criminal here, lol

My family keeps me here. I'm remarried so I have partial custody for my son.  There is no way I could move away from him.  But when they get older I do plan on moving out west somewhere.  I still have to visit Texas!  What is a good place to start?
    Off topic.. but here's the thing about the west, in my experience.  And this is particularly true of the coastal west (not TX).  CA gets a bad rap from conservatives for lots of reasons (I guess it's bad to have the 6th largest economy in the world), but there is one thing that I really like after having worked with west coast people a lot.  

On the East coast, where I've lived all my life, including metro DC, people define themselves by their job.  On the west coast, I find that people define themselves by what they do with their free time.  In other words, a job is simply a facilitator for a better, more fulfilling life.  I think it's damn true that east coasters do define themselves by work.  I think the west coasters have got it right in this case and that's really appealing to me.  
    In Colorado most of the people adhere to the work to live not live to work analogy.
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unless you are a connected politician or retired/current police officer it is virtually impossible to get a carry permit in New Jersey. So there are literally zero good guns with guns in nj. 
    I guess that 4% American made Budweiser rendered you feeble lol!

Stupid joke I made earlier on your fumbled words (highlighted for you).

Cheers.
    So zero non cops are allowed to carry in New Jersey. 

And that's a bad thing? If so, why is it bad? Sounds like the only thing NJ got right to me
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unless you are a connected politician or retired/current police officer it is virtually impossible to get a carry permit in New Jersey. So there are literally zero good guns with guns in nj. 

Cheers.

And that's a bad thing? If so, why is it bad? Sounds like the only thing NJ got right to me
    Bad thing imo.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Cheers.

Bad thing imo.  
    Is it a feeling of safety you would be missing or do you really believe they make life safer? It seems there is this belief among gun owners that if they don't have a gun there will just be all these "bad hombres" running loose robbing and assaulting people at will with no way to protect themselves.

Do you carry? If so, how many times have you had to use your gun to defend yourself?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,601
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's what i figured.  
    I am sure the shooter went through all the proper background checks, fingerprinted, got a referral from his boss and had a current firearms id card.
    But of course (although that is what you actually have to go through in nj to get a firearm).  He was a known gang member who just got out of jail for homicide; legally he can't even own a firearm.

Yeah I believe he had an extended mag which are illegal in the people's republic of new jersey.
    PJpower you'll love this: nj just changed their tight gun laws yet again to 10 rounds max.  So I know have to either forfeit all my 15 round mags or pay to get them blocked.  I hate this state.
    I’m sure all residents are good little law abiding citizens like you and will comply with those magazine laws.  How are the authorities going to even know who is complying and who is not?  I’m guessing they are not going door to door checking everything everyone owns...I bet it makes someone feel good, though.  Gotta pander to the gun control crowd’s feelings now and then when not actually doing anything to make a difference.   

That is why I am a big proponent of H-Bombs for all.  If criminals can get their hands on them, we might as well make them legal then.  Same with bank robberies.  Criminals do them so let's just make it legal for all.  Give me your address and I'm going to steal your TV and valuables since that is currently illegal, but in your world there is no need for laws if people just break them.
    No, I understand the need for laws, just not ones that absolutely cannot be enforced.
    Also not a fan of laws that essentially turn someone into a criminal for possession of something they purchased legally.  Thanks again captain exaggeration.
    Here's a quick pro tip, when someone commits a crime with a banned weapon or accessory they will probably have added charges and jail time. Does that make you feel better?
    I have zero problem with that.  I do have a problem that these new laws have effectively made hundreds of thousands of gun owners criminals after they were purchased legally. 
    Exactly!  I know we were joking about I earlier, but what about calibers that use the same mags (.458 socom and .223)?  If it were labeled a .458 SOCOM mag, would it be legal since it can only hold 10 rounds of that caliber?  There are so many loopholes...but if it makes people feel good, then I guess it is a good law.
    I would think that it would be legal.  I have an ithaca .22 lr that my grandmother gave my grandfather before entering the service during ww2 (made around 1942)...it is a tubular magazine that holds 15 rounds.  I'm guessing I have to turn that in (which is complete bs)?
    Yikes, I haven’t read your new law, but are you sure it does not just apply to detachable mags (no tubular)?  Sorry you are having to “try” to comply with poorly constructed feel good laws.  What is keeping you in NJ?  Texas has plenty of opportunities and you would not be a criminal here, lol

My family keeps me here. I'm remarried so I have partial custody for my son.  There is no way I could move away from him.  But when they get older I do plan on moving out west somewhere.  I still have to visit Texas!  What is a good place to start?
    Off topic.. but here's the thing about the west, in my experience.  And this is particularly true of the coastal west (not TX).  CA gets a bad rap from conservatives for lots of reasons (I guess it's bad to have the 6th largest economy in the world), but there is one thing that I really like after having worked with west coast people a lot.  

On the East coast, where I've lived all my life, including metro DC, people define themselves by their job.  On the west coast, I find that people define themselves by what they do with their free time.  In other words, a job is simply a facilitator for a better, more fulfilling life.  I think it's damn true that east coasters do define themselves by work.  I think the west coasters have got it right in this case and that's really appealing to me.  
    I have never thought about it that way, but I do think that is pretty true outside of agriculture (farmers/ranchers are usually pretty defined by those roles).  In Austin, though, many people go to work in their swimsuits and hit the springs as soon as they get off.

Ah...Austin.. an oasis of awesomeness.  
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's what i figured.  

In Colorado most of the people adhere to the work to live not live to work analogy.
    I would definitely put Colorado in that camp.  I think CO is probably the best state in the Union right now.  There's a lot going for it.  If I wasn't so rooted in family and job here in Virginia, I'd be out there in a minute.  I travel there 4x a year and love every minute.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:

PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:

That's what i figured.  

I never thought of it that way but you are right.  My next trip out west is gonna be either montana, idaho or wyoming.
    I absolutely love california (been there about 8 times) but despise los angeles and the surrounding areas.
    Agreed, LA sucks.  It's over the top.  Monterrey is the place for me...
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Cheers.

Bad thing imo.  
    Is it a feeling of safety you would be missing or do you really believe they make life safer? It seems there is this belief among gun owners that if they don't have a gun there will just be all these "bad hombres" running loose robbing and assaulting people at will with no way to protect themselves.

Do you carry? If so, how many times have you had to use your gun to defend yourself?
    I don’t carry because nj makes it impossible to legally carry. Honestly the only time I would carry is when I am in the woods. I ve seem some real sketchy people over the years. Plus I sometimes hike in bear country, it would be nice to have something other than bear bells lol. 

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Pretty much impossible to legally carry in Maryland too.  Basically have to be a police or federal officer or an armored truck driver. Otherwise, there is no carry.  And I'm ok with that.  I actually feel a lot safer that way than knowing a bunch of rednecks in a bar might all have their sidearms on them ready to pick fights er, I mean, defend me against tyranny.
    Pretty much impossible to legally carry in Maryland too.  Basically have to be a police or federal officer or an armored truck driver. Otherwise, there is no carry.  And I'm ok with that.  I actually feel a lot safer that way than knowing a bunch of rednecks in a bar might all have their sidearms on them ready to pick fights er, I mean, defend me against tyranny.
    Totally agree that carrying in a bar is retarted. Alcohol and firearms should never mix in any capacity. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    Totally agree that carrying in a bar is retarted. Alcohol and firearms should never mix in any capacity. 
    dude, stop saying that word. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is is not illegal to carry in bars?  Here in TX, if a certain percentage of the businesses sales come from alcohol sales, then it is illegal to carry there whether or not you have a license.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don't like when tarts are tarted again either.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m not calling people retarted i m saying the idea is 
    Retarted.  Big difference. Around here people use it in that context a lot. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I m not calling people retarted i m saying the idea is 
    Retarted.  Big difference. Around here people use it in that context a lot. 
    Can I buy a "d" please...
    Please tell me you teach science, not spelling?
    mrussel1 said:
    MY spelling is absolutely atrocious! My handwriting is even worse lol. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I write like a serial killer. 
    edited June 2018
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I write like a 10 year old boy with ADHD.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I write like 10 year old boy with ADHD.
    That's not good.  I wrote okay until college, but then it went downhill.  
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Lol. That is awesome!! My writing skills in college were great but have gone downhill since. 
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    We're still talking handwriting here, right? My writing skills are good - it's just my printing/handwriting that sucks, lol.
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    We're still talking handwriting here, right? My writing skills are good - it's just my printing/handwriting that sucks, lol.
    My writing skills have definitely diminished since college. I write up assignments and exams but that is it. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah . I'm a good writer but horrible handwriting.  In fact,  there are cursive letters that I struggle to remember. 
    So sketchy dudes in the woods, and bears?

Also, brother, I'm far from a spelling nazi... but you really don't know its retarded?

Also, one last thing brother, I'm not exactly a social justice warrior or the PC police... but using the word retarded the way that you are is pretty fucked up and not very cool nowadays. I'm a little shocked that as a parent and educator you use it so openly in that way. Might want to think twice about it, it can be pretty offensive.

Now, sketchy dudes in the woods, and bears? Sounds like Betsy DeVos on the Appalaichan Trail lol
    edited June 2018
    my2hands said:

Also, brother, I'm far from a spelling nazi... but you really don't know its retarded?

Also, one last thing brother, I'm not exactly a social justice warrior or the PC police... but using the word retarded the way that you are is pretty fucked up and not very cool nowadays. I'm a little shocked that as a parent and educator you use it so openly in that way. Might want to think twice about it, it can be pretty offensive.

Now, sketchy dudes in the woods, and bears? Sounds like Betsy DeVos on the Appalaichan Trail lol
    Yeah McGruff, like it or not (I'm find with it), no matter what the context, it just isn't acceptable to use that word anymore. I know it can be hard to not use it - I think we're about the same age, and I know that we both used the word pretty much ubiquitously back in the 80s and 90s; it took a while for me to break the habit too (and the word still comes up in my brain - I've just learned not to say it out loud) ... Sorry, it just doesn't fly anymore. Just like how saying something is "gay" to say it's dumb is no longer okay. It makes no difference if you're thinking about actual gay people when you use the word like that. Like my2hands, I'm pretty surprised you don't seem to know this by now.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah McGruff, like it or not (I'm find with it), no matter what the context, it just isn't acceptable to use that word anymore. I know it can be hard to not use it - I think we're about the same age, and I know that we both used the word pretty much ubiquitously back in the 80s and 90s; it took a while for me to break the habit too (and the word still comes up in my brain - I've just learned not to say it out loud) ... Sorry, it just doesn't fly anymore. Just like how saying something is "gay" to say it's dumb is no longer okay. It makes no difference if you're thinking about actual gay people when you use the word like that. Like my2hands, I'm pretty surprised you don't seem to know this by now.
    I will do my best to not use that word!  It is literally said every day around me but I will refrain from using it.  Allie I turned 40 this past November and graduated in '96.
    My bad guys.  

my2hands said:

Dude that is out it comes out on my iPhone! lol.  fuck is always duck lol.  Again, my bad guys.

And on the other note, yeah I've seen some sketchy people deep in the woods while running or hiking.  It's a pretty unsettling feeling when you are two miles from your car.
    I also graduated in 96 and will be turning 40 in September. Too bad you're not going to Boston for a few IPA's
    my2hands said:
    I also graduated in 96 and will be turning 40 in September. Too bad you're not going to Boston for a few IPA's
    yeah the dates didn't match up with our schedule.  I would have loved to have had a few IPA's with everyone.
This discussion has been closed.