What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Pap said:
    Little Miss Sunshine (2006)
    Great movie! Can't believe it came out 12 years ago already.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    The Strangers: Prey at Night

Holy shit was that bad.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    Pap said:
    Pap said:
    Basmati Blues (2017)
    How was it Pap?
    An easy-to-watch-feel-good movie. Some cleverly funny moments in there too. Nice use of the Stone Gossard penned song Obey The Law Of The Heart! :smile: The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that, at times, it becomes too naively predictable. But again, it's an uplifting film with some inspiring messages to guide you through life.
    Thanks, I'll have to look out for it when it's available on DVD. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Hell House LLC
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Incredibles 2

good as the first?  probably not (maybe slightly below).  Still very entertaining and good though.

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Annihilation.  Interesting Sci-Fi.

Would be fun to hear a conversation on the future of technology in the world between Alex Garland and Charlie Brooker. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Incredibles 2, awesome.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    20th Century Women

Inspired me to write my first Netflix review.  Here it is:

This is an excellent film in many ways, a bit flawed in some and very exceptional in just a few that are quite amazing. I'm not an apt enough film critic to address the excellence of the film and even less qualified to speak to any minor flaws, so it's the few qualities that set this film apart that I think are worth mentioning. This is a film, if not fully about, is at the very least certainly informed by a specific and brief period of time, the time in and around the year 1979. It's a film about personal struggles with identity and relationships as well as personal and cultural disillusionment, ennui, violent and/or joyous purgings, yearnings, disruptions, breakdowns and creative bursts of energy. The characters in the film are, at times, often aimless and confused, but for them to be otherwise, their actions would not serve the time period of this film nearly as well. The focus of much of the film is on the three main female characters, yet the interweaving stories are very much about people in general as well. And when is the last time we heard Suicide and Black Flag, or Talking Heads and the Germs (with a little Louis Armstrong and Rudy Vallee in the mix to add balance) all in the same film score? Brilliant! I'm a baby boomer with a passion for this time period and all it's glorious (and sometimes discomforting) shambles. 1979 has rarely been portrayed so spot on.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    2001: A Space Odyssey.
    It was the first time I watched it.
    I found it very trippy, especially the Monolith music.
    I'll watch it again.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,204
    Oceans 8.  Absolutely terrible.  This could not have been more dull and boring.  
    edited June 2018
    Blue Velvet (1986)

Never saw it before (I was never really a huge David Lynch fan).  It was ok not as weird as Twin Peaks.  Dennis Hopper was the best part of the movie.
    Post edited by eeriepadave on
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Let's Play Two

stumbled across it last night on TV, wasn't expecting to see that on, so wife and I watched it and got us very pumped for Fenway!
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    What Maisie knew. Really good.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    Blue Velvet (1986)

Never saw it before (I was never really a huge David Lynch fan).  It was ok not as weird as Twin Peaks.  Dennis Hopper was the best part of the movie.
    “Mommy! Baby wants to fuck!”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Blue Velvet (1986)

“Mommy! Baby wants to fuck!”
    :lol: I realized i never really saw many of Lynch's movies.  Maybe I should start?  Lost Highway I hear is good and i remember hearing that Mulholland Drive is also pretty good. I haven't watched Dune in years, didn't really care for that one when i first saw it.

Saw Jaws today at the local indie theater in 35mm. :smile:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Patrick Melrose. I know, not a movie, but oh, so good. And painful to watch.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    The Post. It was okay. Pretty slow. Didn’t deliver considering the powerhouse cast. 
    What do people think of 2001: A Space Odyssey? 
    I am looking forward to watching it for a second time.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    End of school year movie night with kids last Friday. We watched a double feature of Meatballs and Dazed & Confused.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2018
    While I can appreciate some things about it and understand the cinematic value of it, and technically that kind of story/theme is right up my alley, but I actually think it's pretty fucking boring (and no, I don't demand tons of action and shit to enjoy a film, lol. When some people find out I dislike this movie, along with The Godfather, they assume I can't appreciate the subtleties of the films or something, but that isn't the case at all).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    The Whistleblower - with Rachel Weisz

Not bad - like most movies she's in
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    PJ_Soul said:
    While I can appreciate some things about it and understand the cinematic value of it, and technically that kind of story/theme is right up my alley, but I actually think it's pretty fucking boring (and no, I don't demand tons of action and shit to enjoy a film, lol. When some people find out I dislike this movie, along with The Godfather, they assume I can't appreciate the subtleties of the films or something, but that isn't the case at all).
    It did seem very all over the place plot wise, I just enjoyed the special effects and that eerie monolith music and the stargate sequence.
    Plus the classical music with the pictures is cool.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I believe it to be the greatest film of all time. I totally understand the viewpoints of people like pj_soul though. Movies are a visual medium, it’s the biggest thing that sets them apart from books and other forms of entertainment, and no movie has ever let the visuals tell the story better than 2001, in my opinion. 
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    PJ_Soul said:
    I agree with you 100%. Also understand and appreciate the history and value of it, but I really found it a grind to watch. I first watched it as a 17 year old, whilst studying film at school (it wasn't required for school though, just thought it would be valuable to watch it) and have revisited it when I was about 35, thinking it may have gone over my head as a young fella. Didn't enjoy it the second time either. 

Like Pj_Soul, I also consider myself fairly open and educated on the subtleties in film and I just couldn't get into this. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
    John Wick Chapter 2

Pretty damn tone deaf. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    It easily ranks as one of the greatest. I think Kubrick 2 greatest films are this, and Barry Lyndon, but my favorite is Clockwork. 

2001 is still the discussion of film classes all over the world, so he did something right when he made it 
    edited June 2018
    dankind said:
    John Wick Chapter 2

Pretty damn tone deaf. 
    What do you mean? I saw it in the theatre, but can't remember it well enough to get what you're referring to. I know I liked it though, even though I prefer the Jack Reacher films over John Wick.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    John Wick Chapter 2

Pretty damn tone deaf. 
    What do you mean? I saw it in the theatre, but can't remember it well enough to get what you're referring to. I know I liked it though, even though I prefer the Jack Reacher films over John Wick.
    Um, mass shootout/shooting at a concert. Whatever, as long as it entertains, I guess.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    edited June 2018
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    John Wick Chapter 2

Pretty damn tone deaf. 
    Um, mass shootout/shooting at a concert. Whatever, as long as it entertains, I guess.
    Oh. Okay, I see. Yeah, I don't really go for that kind of thinking when it comes to films. It just feels like emotional censorship or over-sensitivity to me TBH. I don't think current events should lead to avoiding topics or events in film. On the contrary, actually. I think it makes the films more relevant.
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    John Wick Chapter 2

Pretty damn tone deaf. 
    Oh. Okay, I see. Yeah, I don't really go for that kind of thinking when it comes to films. It just feels like emotional censorship or over-sensitivity to me TBH. I don't think current events should lead to avoiding topics or events in film. On the contrary, actually. I think it makes the films more relevant.
    Much more relevant to anyone with PTSD--that's for sure.
    I SAW PEARL JAM