PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited June 2018
    I watched some bullshit that showed Bono being a dictator and rehearsing the fuck out of it to get the songs perfect.
    Not interested.
    They do have some really great songs.

Yeah the live stuff...eh. Wish I saw them 25 years ago though.

Tough to beat Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as back to back albums. Both are top notch and both could not be more different from each other. Always respected them for being willing to completely change their sound at the height of their popularity. Not many bands are willing and able to do that.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    For some reason going to see U2 tonight.  Shoot me.
    Open up about your Bono obsession, Cliff.
    Not a fan.  Take your sunglasses off, you're indoors.  Also, what kind of grown man goes by a name like The Edge?  While you're at it, take your winter hat off, it's 70 degrees inside.

Drunken purchase.  Oh, U2 tickets are $30...have never seen them, that seems like a good idea.  Nope.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UuKVtpiw9g

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I know some of y'all like WoD...not sure if you like vinyl.  This looks badass but I am not much of a fan.
    https://www.turntablelab.com/products/the-war-on-drugs-lost-in-the-dream-colored-vinyl-vinyl-2lp-turntable-lab-exclusive

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    That was horrible and the weirdest most self centered thing I have ever seen. He basically spit on “the edge”

willie mays on mets
    Bono was on one side of the stage, “the edge” was on the other. He spit water out of a water bottle, a visual stream went over a screen, a straight line of water, and landed on “the edge” on the other end where he was hit with real water.

Fucking bizarre 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Willie Mays in Mets. :rofl:
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    I know some of y'all like WoD...not sure if you like vinyl.  This looks badass but I am not much of a fan.
    https://www.turntablelab.com/products/the-war-on-drugs-lost-in-the-dream-colored-vinyl-vinyl-2lp-turntable-lab-exclusive

Their last album was a goddamn masterpiece. Listen to that on a beautiful day (like today) with the windows open, breeze blowing and that sound echoing through the house. Good. Shit.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    Bono was on one side of the stage, “the edge” was on the other. He spit water out of a water bottle, a visual stream went over a screen, a straight line of water, and landed on “the edge” on the other end where he was hit with real water.

Fucking bizarre 
    Cliffy I was there last night as well and my 1st U2 show. Thought the same thing about the spitting the water as Edge played guitar.  very weird and disrespectful I thought.  Also didn't like that for at least half the show Bono was either down the ramp or totally on the other stage from the band. it's like the band was a backup band.  Not a fan of the screen all the way down the middle either. that added nothing to the show and just cuts the arena in half.  

all-in-all glad I went and saw them once but eh it was ok. i'd say 6 out of 10.  they have a ton of great songs but even their anthems didn't sound anthemic if that makes any sense. 

edited June 2018
    pjhawks said:

Fucking bizarre 
    Cliffy I was there last night as well and my 1st U2 show. Thought the same thing about the spitting the water as Edge played guitar.  very weird and disrespectful I thought.  Also didn't like that for at least half the show Bono was either down the ramp or totally on the other stage from the band. it's like the band was a backup band.  Not a fan of the screen all the way down the middle either. that added nothing to the show and just cuts the arena in half.  

all-in-all glad I went and saw them once but eh it was ok. i'd say 6 out of 10.  they have a ton of great songs but even their anthems didn't sound anthemic if that makes any sense. 

Completely agreed.  The Bono show.  Half the time when he was at the other end, the band barely had any lights on them.  

WHY WAS IT A RAMP?  Why did it have to be on an incline?!

Edit: Oh my.. Just looked at a couple pictures from last night.  REMEMBER WHEN HE WAS GAZING INTO A MIRROR ON THE SCREEN LOOKING AT HIMSELF??!?!
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

Their last album was a goddamn masterpiece. Listen to that on a beautiful day (like today) with the windows open, breeze blowing and that sound echoing through the house. Good. Shit.

Such a great band. Seeing them again at xpn next month.
    chinese-happy.jpg

I may have to go to that. Also going to Old Crow on the 24th. This is all within the week we get back from vacation. I'm trying to pick my poisons with the wife.

I may have to go to that. Also going to Old Crow on the 24th. This is all within the week we get back from vacation. I'm trying to pick my poisons with the wife.

I got roped into going to Billy Joel WITH the wife and that happens to be the night before XPN. Gonna be a weird weekend.
    chinese-happy.jpg

I got roped into going to Billy Joel WITH the wife and that happens to be the night before XPN. Gonna be a weird weekend.
    That sounds awful.
    I wanted to see Whitesnake this weekend but have family in town. 

So, if I want to start with some WoD and give it a deeper dive, which record should I get?

That sounds awful.

So, if I want to start with some WoD and give it a deeper dive, which record should I get?

There isn't a whole lot - 4 albums I believe? But I'd say there's a lot of crossover with Kurt Vile so digging into his stuff will help too - "Walkin' on a Pretty Daze" I am a huge fan of - and WoD's first album has him all over it.

But strictly WoD albums I'd say albums 2-4 get better with every subsequent album. "A Deeper Understanding" is just so fucking good.

It ain't no Whitesnake tho...

That sounds awful.

I would go with either of the last two albums because that's what the band sounds like now. They're both incredible. First two albums are really good too but they've changed their sound quite a bit since then.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited June 2018
    Will give it a look.  I tried KV before also and couldn't dig it.
    Maybe when I bonged out I would have liked it more.
    edited June 2018
    Will give it a look.  I tried KV before also and couldn't dig it.
    Maybe when I bonged out I would have liked it more.
    Alls I know is I'm turning on Wakin' on a Pretty Daze right this minute followed by A Deeper Understanding.
    Whitesnake was good and brought them great popularity (and Tawny (pre-OJ!)) but this bastard (Slide it In) hit it for me as a  4th-5th grader.  (My older brother was a metal-head so I was a bit ahead of my friends...they would freak out when we spun records on my brother's deck.)

Recall getting a copy of Come An'Get It and we all laughed at what we saw in the snake's mouth.

Two out of three from the Rocks is more like it.

Beast seems to be awakening from his slumber. Couple more weeks of this brutal stretch to go...

chinese-happy.jpg

Beast seems to be awakening from his slumber. Couple more weeks of this brutal stretch to go...

phinally.  And Obdubel got a few hits also.
    Will be in philly later tonight to see The Horrors and Underground Arts.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    edited June 2018

16 more games to go. So even 6-10 leaves them at 41-41 on July 2nd with mostly turd teams for that whole month. I'll take that.

Have fun. I have no idea what that is though.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    pjhawks said:

Fucking bizarre 

Completely agreed.  The Bono show.  Half the time when he was at the other end, the band barely had any lights on them.  

WHY WAS IT A RAMP?  Why did it have to be on an incline?!

Edit: Oh my.. Just looked at a couple pictures from last night.  REMEMBER WHEN HE WAS GAZING INTO A MIRROR ON THE SCREEN LOOKING AT HIMSELF??!?!
    I just got back from the 2nd show and i agree with  everything you guys said .

What the hell was that montrosity in the middle of the Arena? I think that split the crowd up way too much, and took a lot of energy away. Imagine the people who had to sit in direct line of that thing? 

pjhawks you make a ton of sense  on the show when you said : "  they have a ton of great songs but even their anthems didn't sound anthemic if that makes any sense". That's the way i felt about those songs too.

Yeah, what the hell was the Mirror act about? Strange, really.

Other than Cliff who the hell can stand Bono?

16 more games to go. So even 6-10 leaves them at 41-41 on July 2nd with mostly turd teams for that whole month. I'll take that.

Have fun. I have no idea what that is though.

they're a "shoegaze" indie band from the UK
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    chinese-happy.jpg
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Not a bad view.  Good day to have diamond club seats so you can go in for AC and drain a few beers.
    Nerris finally sent down to AAA
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA