Roseanne Barr

Comments

• benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,931
    I'm saying that anyone who doesnt find what she said to be racist - is racist.

Pointing at other people and saying "look what they did!" can not be any excuse.  

Who cares is what she said can be taken racist?  Have we reached this point in society that twitter backlash is the judge, jury and executioner?  Are you comfortable with that?
    Public opinion has always been the social judge, jury and executioner. That's why the show was cancelled, and why Roseanne isn't going to jail or being charged for being racist.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mattsl1983mattsl1983 Posts: 711
    benjs said:

Pointing at other people and saying "look what they did!" can not be any excuse.  

Who cares is what she said can be taken racist?  Have we reached this point in society that twitter backlash is the judge, jury and executioner?  Are you comfortable with that?
    Public opinion has always been the social judge, jury and executioner. That's why the show was cancelled, and why Roseanne isn't going to jail or being charged for being racist.
    So you were and okay with the nazi’s persecuting jews?  I like to think we’ve learned and evolved from that world, but I guess we haven’t 
    benjs said:

So you were and okay with the nazi’s persecuting jews?  I like to think we’ve learned and evolved from that world, but I guess we haven’t 
    What the fuck are you saying? Don't you dare put those disgusting, vile words in my mouth.

I will defend Roseanne's right to be a gross racist in public, until the day she tries to do illegal harm to a black person. I will also defend a neo-Nazi's right to be a neo-Nazi and share whatever gross opinions they have, until they act illegally on those stances. Then it crosses into a legal issue, which is addressed by the judicial system, rather than the social system.

'05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

What the fuck are you saying? Don't you dare put those disgusting, vile words in my mouth.

I will defend Roseanne's right to be a gross racist in public, until the day she tries to do illegal harm to a black person. I will also defend a neo-Nazi's right to be a neo-Nazi and share whatever gross opinions they have, until they act illegally on those stances. Then it crosses into a legal issue, which is addressed by the judicial system, rather than the social system.

Hey man, you are the one that’s cool with social jury, judge, and executioner.  I was arguing against that type of mentality.  But you support it.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    I stand by my statement.  To try and find a bigger picture to take any other view on what she did (and has done many other times) is trying to look past her racist idiocy. 
    My opinion.  You can certainly have a different on and share it here, as you are.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    I stand by my statement.  To try and find a bigger picture to take any other view on what she did (and has done many other times) is trying to look past her racist idiocy. 
    My opinion.  You can certainly have a different on and share it here, as you are.  
    You stand by your opinion, nothing wrong with that.  I stand by mine.  If you are going to be at Wriggly field, I’ll gladly buy you a hot dog or a beer if you drink.  Differing opinions are good and I think both out hearts are in the right place, just maybe not the same level.  It’s all good
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Hey man, you are the one that’s cool with social jury, judge, and executioner.  I was arguing against that type of mentality.  But you support it.
    What don't you understand?

Social judge, jury, executioner: the right to choose to associate (or not) with who you want, based on the words and actions of a person

Legal judge, jury, executioner: the right to sentence a person based on the words and actions of a person, typically involving a physical impact to one's freedom such as imprisonment, physical harm, or the death sentence

Once again, the acts of the Nazis were in the latter category, and thinking that the world has the right to shun Roseanne Barr because she speaks in racist ways does not in any way, shape or form mean that I feel the Nazis were justified in persecuting the Jews. That's a shockingly stupid conclusion to draw. Especially when you're talking to a Jew.

EV
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    vaggar99 said:
    what can I say? a walking caricature of the female Trumpist?  Classic short sighted conservative "thinker"?  Or mostly just another umemployed has been?
    I think it’s a case of a double standard.  Honestly how many vile shots have been taken towards this recent presidentancy and where have the reprocussions?  I’m not saying I suport anything she said, but look at the bigger picture, in all honesty if you can.  I doubt that you’ll be able to based on your use of Trumpist.  But seriously pause, step back and look at what’s been said and going on.  It’s bigger than you don’t like the present day president, but what’s going to happen when another president you support and someone says something?  What happens when you are judged and hung by your Twitter post?  Scary times we live in.  Freedom of speech is out the window and politically correct is in full effect.
    Were you not alive during the Obama presidency?

And please look up freedom of speech. 
    I was very much alive, and an adult, and I remember all the sound bites that were taken out of context.  Trump is the first president to live in the world of Twitter is news.  What was your stance on my previous comment again?  Maybe you are questioning my idea of bringing up freedom of speech?  Where is freedom of speech if you hold an unpopular idea or make a terrible joke that for whatever reason although comedians can say whatever they want under the gise of comedy, there’s some sort of line that doesn’t exist, but does and as long as you cross it one way you are good, and the other you are terrible and outed?  What’s the next step, public humiliation, public firing, public execution?  As long as the twitterers are on board it’s really what’s righteous right?
    1) Trump made twitter "news" by all his crazy, lying tweets.  He has no moral high ground to claim persecuted by twitter.  Hypocrite.
    2) Where is freedom of speech?  Well it's in the fact that Rosanne can say what she did and not be arrested and thrown in jail.  That others can call out the president and even make disgusting remarks about him and to him and not go to jail or disappear Putin style.  That's your freedom of speech.

I do agree that the public is always just waiting to be outraged....and then the immediate response to everything is to "FIRE THEM".  I wonder how many of those same keyboard champions would want to be fired for every mistake they made?  But then there are those things which cross the line soooooo far that there really is no choice.  Rosanne compared a lady to an ape....classic racist move.  Can't be ignored.  The only question is, why was she so comfortable tweeting to the WORLD this thought?  Why is it becoming ok to be outwardly racist?  Hmmmmmmmmmm..... I wonder.

You bring up Johnny Depp and someone else in another post.  You seem offended by their statements.  Will you go see a movie that Johnny Depp is in?
    hippiemom = goodness
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Social judge, jury, executioner: the right to choose to associate (or not) with who you want, based on the words and actions of a person

Legal judge, jury, executioner: the right to sentence a person based on the words and actions of a person, typically involving a physical impact to one's freedom such as imprisonment, physical harm, or the death sentence

Once again, the acts of the Nazis were in the latter category, and thinking that the world has the right to shun Roseanne Barr because she speaks in racist ways does not in any way, shape or form mean that I feel the Nazis were justified in persecuting the Jews. That's a shockingly stupid conclusion to draw. Especially when you're talking to a Jew.
    I guess you don’t see how one leads to the next.  History man.  Argue it all you want, but learn you up some things on history, and you will understand the scariness of what this mentality can lead to.  It’s all good, I don’t think you’re a bad person.
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

I guess you don’t see how one leads to the next.  History man.  Argue it all you want, but learn you up some things on history, and you will understand the scariness of what this mentality can lead to.  It’s all good, I don’t think you’re a bad person.
    History looks back at the Nazis and sees a failed social system in addition to a failed legal system and holds both accountable (one socially, one legally, respectively). History, man.

A smarter civilization would learn from its mistakes and assure that there are true social ramifications for such sentiments as the ones espoused by Adolf Hitler which would limit the abilities to access the power to modify the legal structures, rather than cherry-picking which gross messages are acceptable and which are not. 

EV
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

History looks back at the Nazis and sees a failed social system in addition to a failed legal system and holds both accountable (one socially, one legally, respectively). History, man.

A smarter civilization would learn from its mistakes and assure that there are true social ramifications for such sentiments as the ones espoused by Adolf Hitler which would limit the abilities to access the power to modify the legal structures, rather than cherry-picking which gross messages are acceptable and which are not. 
    Kind of like railing hard against someone that made a comparison to ape that is outspoken towards one side but giving passes for everything else on the other side?  Regardless of death threats.  Yeah man, you are so right.  That could never happen again..
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    What lunacy.  Dude, she called a black person an ape.  
    Where is the double standard here?

Only a racist fails to see that this is an unacceptable racist thing.

Criticizing the president is something totally unrelated to her getting her due as a racist piece of donkey shit.

benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Kind of like railing hard against someone that made a comparison to ape that is outspoken towards one side but giving passes for everything else on the other side?  Regardless of death threats.  Yeah man, you are so right.  That could never happen again..
    I don't think I said anything personally about being okay with death threats. Intent to harm is a very serious issue, and it moves from something socially unacceptable to something legally unacceptable.

EV
    benjs said:

This is the dumbest thing i think I have ever read. 

Btw, its Wrigley Field
    I live watching people try and defend Roseanne... 

When you're a star of a hit TV show, and you tweet out racist garbage, you're gonna get fired. It's pretty fucking simple.

Just because Trump did it and got your vote, doesn't mean its acceptable. 

Now feel free to continue to compare Roseanne to Nazi era Jews, it's a cute look. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

What is this, “gives passes for everything else?” Can you site examples of the other side in comparison to Rosanne?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    PJ_Soul said:
    ^^ Although I'll have to say that just physically, Roseanne has aged extremely well... Of course she had gastric bypass to get there, and a breast reduction, and some plastic surgery, lol, but still... she looks pretty good, despite her terrible personality.
    Yeah, I was thinking the same. 
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Holy shit, we actually found someone comparing Roseanne Barr losing a tv show for making a racist comment....to the holocaust. 

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Roseanne is a peice of shit just like this president and if you can defend her statements or his I’d say you have to really look in the mirror and ? Your moral compass! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    vaggar99 said:
    what can I say? a walking caricature of the female Trumpist?  Classic short sighted conservative "thinker"?  Or mostly just another umemployed has been?
    I think it’s a case of a double standard.  Honestly how many vile shots have been taken towards this recent presidentancy and where have the reprocussions?  I’m not saying I suport anything she said, but look at the bigger picture, in all honesty if you can.  I doubt that you’ll be able to based on your use of Trumpist.  But seriously pause, step back and look at what’s been said and going on.  It’s bigger than you don’t like the present day president, but what’s going to happen when another president you support and someone says something?  What happens when you are judged and hung by your Twitter post?  Scary times we live in.  Freedom of speech is out the window and politically correct is in full effect.
    Trump got where he is by acting like a racist pig and pandering this nonsense to the ignorant and mentallly ill in this country. You reap what you sow
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,869
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

You are really reaching. It would have been a good idea to think that thought out more to determine if it had any legitimacy at all. This is a tough place for sloppy intellectual work.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,482
    “Hung by your twitter post?” What is this? Another “high tech lynching?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,172
    vaggar99 said:
    it's always great in these type of cases when people show they have no real understanding of what Freedom of Speech really is.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    FREEDOM OF SPEECH ONLY PROTECTS YOU FROM PROSECUTION, NOT FROM PERSECUTION. 

say it again:

FREEDOM OF SPEECH ONLY PROTECTS YOU FROM PROSECUTION, NOT FROM PERSECUTION
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I would totally watch "Dan."  John Goodman is my favorite actor of all time.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,391

I feel like minimizing Roseanne's blatant racism to the point of simply dismissing it as an "unpopular opinion" is a problem in and of itself.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I would totally watch "Dan."  John Goodman is my favorite actor of all time.
    every time he smiles I see the playfullness of a little kid. 

he is an amazing actor. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

You are against there being repercussions for saying vile, racist statements?

So what, in your opinion, would have been the correct response, matts?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf