Donald Trump

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    There were good people on both sides
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    And just yesterday some here were talking about how trump supporters follow along blindly. 
    Who here is following blindly? Refer to my earlier post. It isn't clear he is referencing gang members. This is the problem with "off the cuff" commentary as a leader. He lacks the understanding of words. Worst communicator to ever be president.
    I understand what you are saying, but he is able to connect with a large group of people that the politicians have been talking over for a long time.  I completely understand the off the cuff speaking and moving between topics, etc cause that is how a lot of people talk everyday in their lives.  

Now - it's the topics and words and policies I have a problem with.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    mcgruff10 said:
    And just yesterday some here were talking about how trump supporters follow along blindly. 
    That was me. You can watch the unedited clip if you want and make your own determination. People will either say he was referencing ms13 specifically or broader immigrants or illegal immigrants. No media source guided my interpretation. I do see the people who claim trump’s not a racist really work hard at telling us what he really meant. Over and over again in these situations. 

Yeah the thing is, if you aren't a racist, etc. you could say something like that and everyone would know what you mean.  But when you add up his history, if there is any doubt, it's no surprise some think he'd be referring to all immigrants.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    I watched the above clip several times. MS13 was mentioned but it sounds like he is talking about immigrants in general. The point is:He's clueless and doesn't communicate like an adult. I have an alcoholic cousin. When she gets hammered she begins rambling about absolute crap. I can barely follow her thought pattern. Trump reminds me of her.
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    eddiec said:
    I watched the above clip several times. MS13 was mentioned but it sounds like he is talking about immigrants in general. The point is:He's clueless and doesn't communicate like an adult. I have an alcoholic cousin. When she gets hammered she begins rambling about absolute crap. I can barely follow her thought pattern. Trump reminds me of her.
    was she on here a few nights ago rambling about putin pitbulls and adoptees?
    JC29856 said:
    eddiec said:
    was she on here a few nights ago rambling about putin pitbulls and adoptees?
    Lol... you can be a funny dude JC, well played!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited May 2018
    eddiec said:
    the part that makes me believe he's generalizing all immigrants with that is " And we're taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that's never happened before". are you really getting rid of MS13 members at a rate that's never happened before? My take is he was speaking of all illegals, not just the gang members. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    eddiec said:
    the part that makes me believe he's generalizing all immigrants with that is " And we're taking them out of the country at a level and at a rate that's never happened before". are you really getting rid of MS13 members at a rate that's never happened before? My take is he was speaking of all illegals, not just the gang members. 
    not sure about ms13 deportations but arrests have doubled.
    does is matter that trump referred specifically to ms13 and gang members in the past as animals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utjyue2NUhQ

Post edited by JC29856 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JC29856 said:
    eddiec said:
    does is matter that trump referred specifically to ms13 and gang members in the past as animals?

I don't know. does it matter he also referred to all illegal immigrants from mexico as rapists and murderers and drug dealers and some good people?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

JC29856 said:
    eddiec said:

I don't know. does it matter he also referred to all illegal immigrants from mexico as rapists and murderers and drug dealers and some good people?
    "I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight!"
  • jdasilvafjdasilvaf Posts: 187
    MS 13 is American made, it started in Southern California. We exported it to Central America when we started deporting MS 13 members who committed crimes in the U.S.. ICE is not only arresting and deporting "criminals", they long ago expanded to also arresting and deporting legal permanent residents who have minor infractions, everything from being arrested for a DUI to marihuana possession, people who already either served their time or paid fines. MS13 has a relatively small/weak presence in the US in 2018 compared to the power it wields in certain Central American countries (particularly El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras). Trump, as usual, uses hyperbolic rhetoric to scare white people into voting for racist Republicans.
    jdasilvaf said:
    Trump, as usual, uses hyperbolic rhetoric to scare white people into voting for racist Republicans.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Washington (CNN) https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/politics/animals-trump-sanders-ms-13/index.html

President Donald Trump said Thursday he was referring to MS-13 gang members when he called some undocumented immigrants "animals" during an event at the White House a day earlier.

"I'm referring to the MS-13 gangs that are coming in. I was talking about the MS-13," Trump said, insisting his comments were clear. "I'm actually surprised you're asking this question."
    Trump was unapologetic about his language and said he'd use it again.
    "These are animals. They're coming in to our country and we're getting them out," he said. "I referred to them as animals. And guess what: I always will."
      Trump on Wednesday did not directly refer to MS-13 when he used the term "animals" on Wednesday, but his comments came after Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims talked about her struggles in navigating state and federal laws to allow Immigration and Customs Enforcement to "find the bad guys" in their jails and specifically said "there could be an MS-13 member."
      That's when Trump interjected: "We have people coming into the country, or trying to come in. ... You wouldn't believe how bad these people are. These aren't people. These are animals."
      White House press secretary Sarah Sanders also defended Trump's comments, which some interpreted to be referring to a broader set of undocumented immigrants, saying he was "very clearly" referring to gang members.
      "This is one of the most vicious and deadly gangs that operates by the motto of rape, control and kill," Sanders said. "If the media and liberals want to defend MS-13, they're more than welcome to. Frankly I don't think the term that the President used was strong enough."
      She went on to describe in graphic terms several violent crimes she said were carried out by MS-13 gang members.
      "It took an animal to stab a man 100 times and decapitate him and rip his heart out. It took an animal to beat a woman they were sex trafficking with a bat 28 times, indenting part of her body. And it took an animal to kidnap, drug and rape a 14-year old Houston girl," Sanders said. "Frankly, I think the term animal doesn't go far enough, and I think that the President should continue to use his platform and everything he can do under the law to stop these types of horrible, horrible disgusting people."
      I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
      So, as it stands...
      White Supremacists/Nazis:
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 
      Some rapists and animals.

? Did I get that right?
      Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
      edited May 2018
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Not quite. I actually agree that Trump was talking about the MS-13 gang members in the case of the "animals" statement, and I think the media is doing exactly what fucking Sarah Huckabee Sanders is accusing them of. I hate it when she's right (on those rare occasions).
      I think we all know the context of the whole rapists comment, and yes, it was racist, even when you accept that he didn't mean all Mexicans.
      And yeah, he defends Nazis!
      Post edited by PJ_Soul on
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Not quite. I actually agree that Trump was talking about the MS-13 gang members in the case of the "animals" statement, and I think the media is doing exactly what fucking Sarah Huckabee Sanders is accusing them of. I hate it when she's right (on those rare occasions).
      I think we all know the context of the whole rapists comment, and yes, it was racist, even when you accept that he didn't mean all Mexicans.
      trump’s already built the foundation associating negatives with Mexicans and Central Americans to the point of when he says “they” or “them” his supporters will make the connection on their own now. Notice in the video, the Sheriff talks for awhile about ICE agents and the difficulty working across agencies. trump doesn’t respond until she says something about ms13 and jumps at it, saying them, they, people, and then animals. He doesn’t say ms13 specifically, which relays the overall racist message, associating a negative with immigrants, and provides the out the next day. “Oh he was referring to ms13”. And now right wing media sends the dividing message after liberals spot racism, they say ‘look at the liberals supporting ms13.’
    • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      trump’s already built the foundation associating negatives with Mexicans and Central Americans to the point of when he says “they” or “them” his supporters will make the connection on their own now. Notice in the video, the Sheriff talks for awhile about ICE agents and the difficulty working across agencies. trump doesn’t respond until she says something about ms13 and jumps at it, saying them, they, people, and then animals. He doesn’t say ms13 specifically, which relays the overall racist message, associating a negative with immigrants, and provides the out the next day. “Oh he was referring to ms13”. And now right wing media sends the dividing message after liberals spot racism, they say ‘look at the liberals supporting ms13.’
      Its called a dog whistle. And some people hear it loud and clear for all the wrong reasons.
      09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Yes, I agree with all that too. It doesn't change the fact of the specific comments, but for sure, Trump has set it all up for himself... and he and his minions are wonderful at turning it back at "liberals" (man, do I ever hate how that term has been deformed over the past couple of years) the way they are. That little line from Sanders about that makes my blood boil.
      With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Do you honestly think he has a problem with all immigrants or just illegal immigrants?  Big difference.
    • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
      mcgruff10 said:
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Do you honestly think he has a problem with all immigrants or just illegal immigrants?  Big difference.
      I think he’s the type of racist where he feels whites are generally superior (see “shithole countries” and Norway reference) but that individual minorities can be okay if they meet a higher set of criteria. If you know enough racist people you’ve probably seen it. They aren’t outwardly hostile, but they avoid interactions with minorities until that person is deemed worthy. 
      edited May 2018
      mcgruff10 said:
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      I think he’s the type of racist where he feels whites are generally superior (see “shithole countries” and Norway reference) but that individual minorities can be okay if they meet a higher set of criteria. If you know enough racist people you’ve probably seen it. They aren’t outwardly hostile, but they avoid interactions with minorities until that person is deemed worthy. 
      Agreed.

Also, he was a BIRTHER. That right there is racist as fuck - I'm always surprised that people keep forgetting that little tidbit.

Plus he's the type of racist who doesn't mind other huge racists at all. And finally, he's the type of racist who does shit like this, simply lacking respect for other ethnicities and cultures:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/oct/07/trump-attempts-to-use-spanish-accent-to-pronounce-puerto-rico-video

and this:

http://www.dw.com/en/donald-trump-revives-pocahontas-jab-during-event-honoring-native-americans/a-41556481

... Well, fuck it. So many things started coming to mind. I'll just post this:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/01/15/opinion/leonhardt-trump-racist.html

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
      mcgruff10 said:
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Exactly. I don't think he has an issue with white immigrants. Hell, he even married a couple of them, including the current FLOTUS who was here on a questionable visa and once her status became permanent used "chain migration" to bring her parents here.
      "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
      edited May 2018
      mcgruff10 said:
      PJ_Soul said:
      rgambs said:
      So, as it stands...
      Some very fine people.
      Immigrants: 

? Did I get that right?
      Got ya and I agree. Isn’t this what Canada does when dealing with immigration?  They don’t accept everyone rather there is all different types of criteria.
      Post edited by mcgruff10 on
      He was one of the main birthers... that right there should have shown people he isn't fit to get anywhere close to the oval office
    • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
      edited May 2018

my2hands said:
      He was one of the main birthers... that right there should have shown people he isn't fit to get anywhere close to the oval office
      Trump's birther Twitter archive.  What a douche.  It was probably then he thought he could become POTUS.  So easy to fool and manipulate the republican base.

Yet to see his tax returns.
      Post edited by Smellyman on
    • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
      The percentage of unauthorized immigrants without criminal records that ICE is picking up and deporting is growing in leaps and bounds. Despite the fact that Trump keeps saying they are deporting "criminals", in fact now fully two thirds of those arrested by ICE do not have a criminal conviction. And no, being in the US illegally is not a criminal act; it's apparently a civil violation, not a criminal violation.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/trump-arresting-noncriminal-immigrants_us_5afdedf4e4b07309e0562f7d
      my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
      Calling MS-13 animals, is actually an affront 
       to the entire animal kingdom. They make ISIS look like a church choir.  People being skinned alive carefully, down to the rib cage, to where you can actually see their organs moving.  Ffffffuckk.  There is literally nothing ISIS has done that's worse than the cartels.  Nothing.  So referring to them as animals, is more of a compliment than they deserve.
      If there was no collusion, repeat 7 times, why the hard court press to expose a confidential informant and reference the FBI as jack booted thugs or storm troopers? If anyone here thinks the Team Trump Treason is innocent in all of this, I have a drained swamp to sell you.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
      Amateur hour in the White House but most of us know this already. Every hour, everyday.

A White House aide taped meetings with Trump so he could replay it to impress his friends - Business Insider https://apple.news/A19_M9GpdS-ChLpVkObeAUA

Brilliantati©
    This discussion has been closed.