The Concept of God

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I don't see how anyone calling themselves a Christian could support tRump.  Makes absolutely no sense.
    Ditto. I think it's sick.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • LongestRoadLongestRoad Posts: 477
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:
    If there is a god, why does he/she allow the horrors of this world to occur?
    God is not at all happy about the horrors and wickedness that occur in this world.  Jesus came the first time with the purpose of being crucified.  He did it for you and I and all (yes all)  who will accept Him, and the price He paid on the cross, for our sins.  He paid our sin debt in full if we will just accept that, that's all He's asking.  It's very hard for a lot of people to comprehend that all he really wants from us is love.  He's having a hard time getting it from lot of folks.
    John 3:16
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever, believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Jesus is coming back again.  I think it's going to be sooner rather than later.  And it will only take about 15 minutes, and all the horrible and wickedness of this world are going to be overturned in a big big way.  This is what Christians are looking forward to.  Justice will be done.  All the terrible people of the world are going to be put in their place and and it's going to be a great day. 
    Jesus is not coming back again as a baby to be crucified again, that has been done already.  This time He's coming back to rule as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The wicked are going to feel the full weight of God's Wrath.

Those who love him will not have 1 hair on their head singed.  Nothing to fear.
    Some people might scoff at this and that's fine with me, I have no problem with that.
    But if there is even one or two out there who gain some comfort from this, that's what I hope for, the more the merrier.
    This song by Johnny Cash sums it up pretty well.  When The Man Comes Around.

Setting aside whether or not people really believe this, logistically, how would this even be possible? There are over 7000 different languages spoken in the world today - could Jesus communicate with every one of them?
    Not to mention that there are over 4000 recognised ‘religions’ (or belief systems, or faiths, whichever phrase you choose) - is everyone who has a religion going to just change their beliefs or suffer “the full weight of God’s Wrath”? If Christianity accounts for roughly 31% of all believers, what will happen to the rest of us?

Not trying to be facetious, or argumentative, just playing a little (for want if a better phrase) devil’s advocate with some of your assertions that I can’t get my head around.

If they still reject Jesus and still choose to follow Satan after all that, that's when it's over for them.  
    So if you reject Jesus you follow satan?  that's total horseshit.... you look down on non-christians... you think you are somehow superior to non-christians... that's what your religion and its followers does...  it's the foundation of your beliefs... you are no better than a white supremacist or someone who believes males are superior to females... 

And you want me to be polite? Lol, get the fuck outta here... I'm more polite,  have more empathy,  and judge people far less than any Christian I know... maybe YOU guys need to mind YOUR manners

Your religion and its followers are judgemental fools... don't get your feelings hurt when I let you know... because us non-believers have been judged and looked down upon for far too long in this country... time to start calling out your bullshit

https://youtu.be/DhODYyZVL6Y
    It sounds like you're looking down on yourself. It doesn't sound like what was said was to look down or to judge. God is love.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:
    God is not at all happy about the horrors and wickedness that occur in this world.  Jesus came the first time with the purpose of being crucified.  He did it for you and I and all (yes all)  who will accept Him, and the price He paid on the cross, for our sins.  He paid our sin debt in full if we will just accept that, that's all He's asking.  It's very hard for a lot of people to comprehend that all he really wants from us is love.  He's having a hard time getting it from lot of folks.
    For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever, believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.
    Jesus is coming back again.  I think it's going to be sooner rather than later.  And it will only take about 15 minutes, and all the horrible and wickedness of this world are going to be overturned in a big big way.  This is what Christians are looking forward to.  Justice will be done.  All the terrible people of the world are going to be put in their place and and it's going to be a great day. 
    Jesus is not coming back again as a baby to be crucified again, that has been done already.  This time He's coming back to rule as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.  The wicked are going to feel the full weight of God's Wrath.

Some people might scoff at this and that's fine with me, I have no problem with that.
    But if there is even one or two out there who gain some comfort from this, that's what I hope for, the more the merrier.

Setting aside whether or not people really believe this, logistically, how would this even be possible? There are over 7000 different languages spoken in the world today - could Jesus communicate with every one of them?
    Not to mention that there are over 4000 recognised ‘religions’ (or belief systems, or faiths, whichever phrase you choose) - is everyone who has a religion going to just change their beliefs or suffer “the full weight of God’s Wrath”? If Christianity accounts for roughly 31% of all believers, what will happen to the rest of us?

Not trying to be facetious, or argumentative, just playing a little (for want if a better phrase) devil’s advocate with some of your assertions that I can’t get my head around.

If they still reject Jesus and still choose to follow Satan after all that, that's when it's over for them.  
    So if you reject Jesus you follow satan?  that's total horseshit.... you look down on non-christians... you think you are somehow superior to non-christians... that's what your religion and its followers does...  it's the foundation of your beliefs... you are no better than a white supremacist or someone who believes males are superior to females... 

And you want me to be polite? Lol, get the fuck outta here... I'm more polite,  have more empathy,  and judge people far less than any Christian I know... maybe YOU guys need to mind YOUR manners

Your religion and its followers are judgemental fools... don't get your feelings hurt when I let you know... because us non-believers have been judged and looked down upon for far too long in this country... time to start calling out your bullshit

It sounds like you're looking down on yourself. It doesn't sound like what was said was to look down or to judge. God is love.
    Love, and punishment. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I really don't mind the idea of "God is love" if it is taken at face value. 
    If God is love, then Love is god.
    And what's wrong with Love?  Not a damn thing. 
    But the question is, Are there any religions that leave it at "God is love/ Love is god"?
    And for that matter, does "God is love/ Love is god" need to be seen as a religion or can it just be?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:
    I really don't mind the idea of "God is love" if it is taken at face value. 
    If God is love, then Love is god.
    And what's wrong with Love?  Not a damn thing. 
    But the question is, Are there any religions that leave it at "God is love/ Love is god"?
    And for that matter, does "God is love/ Love is god" need to be seen as a religion or can it just be?
    Exxxxxxxxxaaaaaaaactly!
    If "God is love" is the truth, then there isn't any need for the rest of the bullshit.
    If God is love, then God shouldn't need us to obsess over It under penalty of eternal torture.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    If God is love and love is God then same-sex love is fine.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    Good spot for the abridged version

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    God is violence. The Old Testament doesn't show much love coming from that mythological being. It was all about eye for an eye, pestilence, famine, wars, incest, rape, murder, threats. 
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    RIP George Carlin 
    George Carlin is God!

Well, ok, a god anyway, lol!  Love all his stuff.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:

https://youtu.be/vhsHv6VFWrU
    edited May 2018
    RYME said:
    my2hands said:
    RYME said:
    goldrush said:
    RYME said:

https://youtu.be/vhsHv6VFWrU
    "Save You" is such an awesome song! I really dig the live version from "Live at the Show Box" is killer!

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited May 2018
    What’s the point in getting angry?, there are good and bad people everywhere.  The tensions only get stronger. The real problem is what the anger should directs to.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    Annafalk said:
    What’s the point in getting angry?, there are good and bad people everywhere.  The tensions only get stronger. The real problem is what the anger should directs to.
    A little off topic, but I think anger can be very destructive but it can also be very useful and positive.  John Lydon once said (and sang) "Anger is an Energy".  In his excellent book, Anger is an Energy, My Life Uncensored, Mr. Lydon talks about using anger to motivate oneself to be creative. 

In that Showbox version of "Save You" I posted above, notice Mike at the very end of the song.  In a flash of anger, he whips off his guitar over his head and throws it face down on the stage.  I know I'm just guessing here, but I think Mike is thinking, "Damn it!  I almost threw my life away!"  There is anger there but also the exhilaration of purging and he really pours himself into that effort in the song.  It is ultra cathartic and beautiful. 

brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    A little off topic, but I think anger can be very destructive but it can also be very useful and positive.  John Lydon once said (and sang) "Anger is an Energy".  In his excellent book, Anger is an Energy, My Life Uncensored, Mr. Lydon talks about using anger to motivate oneself to be creative. 

In that Showbox version of "Save You" I posted above, notice Mike at the very end of the song.  In a flash of anger, he whips off his guitar over his head and throws it face down on the stage.  I know I'm just guessing here, but I think Mike is thinking, "Damn it!  I almost threw my life away!"  There is anger there but also the exhilaration of purging and he really pours himself into that effort in the song.  It is ultra cathartic and beautiful. 
    I agree about anger being used the right way as a force to do good and to react on things that’s wrong.
    I’m thinking it’s no point in getting angry at someone only because they believe in god. 
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

I agree about anger being used the right way as a force to do good and to react on things that’s wrong.
    I’m thinking it’s no point in getting angry at someone only because they believe in god. 
    I agree, Anna.  As long as someone is not using their belief to cause war or trying to force it on a non-believer or thinking that makes them better or using it in a judgemental way, there's no reason to be angry.  I think a lot of the anger of non-believers, though, stems from those very offenses.

edited May 2018
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

I agree, Anna.  As long as someone is not using their belief to cause war or trying to force it on a non-believer or thinking that makes them better or using it in a judgemental way, there's no reason to be angry.  I think a lot of the anger of non-believers, though, stems from those very offenses.
    I think so too :) and it goes for everyone. No one needs judgmentness, war or offenses. No one should believe they are better than anyone else because of what they believe.
    Post edited by Annafalk on
    This is an idea I could consider  - a “church” for atheists, where people can find a community for fellowship and support without a reliance in the idea of a god. 

I akso like that their first meeting was held in a pasty shop. That’s my kind of church. 

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/30/calgary-secular-church-first-atheist-church-alberta_n_2583930.html
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Annafalk said:
    brianlux said:
    Annafalk said:

I'm not sure I have ever in my life encountered anyone who has gotten angry at someone only because they believe in God though....
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    This is an idea I could consider  - a “church” for atheists, where people can find a community for fellowship and support without a reliance in the idea of a god. 

I akso like that their first meeting was held in a pasty shop. That’s my kind of church. 

https://m.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/01/30/calgary-secular-church-first-atheist-church-alberta_n_2583930.html
    The Unitarian/Universalist church has been around for decades
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville

The Unitarian/Universalist church has been around for decades

Sure, but Unitarians do no rule out the existence of God, to the best of my understanding. They still use the concept but allow it to have broad meaning, or not, to those in their congregation, so I see this as different. Certainly, though, if your argument is that atheists could already find a community with Unitarians, then likely so. 
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Glad that "pasty" was a typo, often...you had me wondering there ;)

There are some I know and love who are atheists.  To me, religion or not, it's about one's character.

Live and let live, while doing no harm to others.  Judgments aren't necessarily hurtful in themselves, it's the attempts at control that stick in my craw (and then some).
    hedonist said:

There are some I know and love who are atheists.  To me, religion or not, it's about one's character.

Live and let live, while doing no harm to others.  Judgments aren't necessarily hurtful in themselves, it's the attempts at control that stick in my craw (and then some).

Judge not the pasties, let you be judged ;)
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    hedonist said:

Pasties are delicious.  Grandma made them all the time.  LINK

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Concerts are my church.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

I read an Annie Dillard book one time where she talked about living on Washington's San Juan Islands and going to church there, not so much because she was a believer, but more for the community/fellowship you mention.  I read that a long, long time ago and I remember it made so much sense to me and helped me feel better about rejecting the particular faith I grew up in--  which worked for my folks and that was fine, just not for me.

P.S.  Literally "pasty shop" or typo'd  "pastry shop"?  I'm good with both.  :smiley:

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Smellyman said:
    hedonist said:

Pasties are delicious.  Grandma made them all the time.  LINK

*Homer drool*

Last night, my husband and I were talking about religion - he was raised Irish Catholic, me Jewish.  He asked if I'll always consider myself a Jew and without second thought, said yes, but an agnostic one.  It's just part of my history, my family's history, and therefore part of me.
    There's this part of northern Michigan called Yoopers.  Been through there once.  Saw several pasty shops.  Went into one that was recommended.  Man, talk about good pastys!  To die for!

Pastries  >>>>>>>>>>>>>> pasties
    Pastries  >>>>>>>>>>>>>> pasties
    Visit the Yoopers sometime, you might be surprised and end up knocking a few of the "greater than" symbols off!