What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    I went on a little documentary binge last night. First was last year's Oscar-winning "Icarus", about the Russian Olympic Doping Scandal and doping in sports in general. While the quality of the doc itself wasn't impressive, the subject matter and the way the director is involved in the whole chain of events is downright mindblowing, and makes the doc an amazing viewing experience

I also watched the shorter "Long Shot" on Netflix, and speaking of unbelievable chains of events! Wow! A great quick watch that shows you that you have no idea how your life implicates so many people, and you may not have any idea. I don't want to try to summarize the subject matter on here. I can't do it justice without going into detail, so you can either look it up or watch the thing. It was an amazing story. 
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Game Night - pretty decent comedy without reaching any great heights. Few laughs had though
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Avengers/Infinity War - I liked a lot of things about it and enjoyed it overall.  (I am past the 'watching credits for 12 minutes to see a 60 second tease, although this one was pretty good.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    Scarface

Catching up on some of the "I can't believe you've never seen that" movies.
    Very overrated film in my opinion
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Tully (girlfriends idea)
    Not sure the point of the movie but it wasn't  bad

• markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I agree. I guess I'm glad I watched it to have actually seen the ubiquitous reference that everyone makes. I don't think I'll ever watch it again though.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited May 2018
    PJWGIII said:
    I went on a little documentary binge last night. First was last year's Oscar-winning "Icarus", about the Russian Olympic Doping Scandal and doping in sports in general. While the quality of the doc itself wasn't impressive, the subject matter and the way the director is involved in the whole chain of events is downright mindblowing, and makes the doc an amazing viewing experience

I also watched the shorter "Long Shot" on Netflix, and speaking of unbelievable chains of events! Wow! A great quick watch that shows you that you have no idea how your life implicates so many people, and you may not have any idea. I don't want to try to summarize the subject matter on here. I can't do it justice without going into detail, so you can either look it up or watch the thing. It was an amazing story. 
    I watch a lot of documentaries and have been on the fence about Icarus. Thanks for the review. I think I'll watch it soon.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I agree. I guess I'm glad I watched it to have actually seen the ubiquitous reference that everyone makes. I don't think I'll ever watch it again though.
    Overrated is an understatement. Awful film. Terrible acting. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I have to agree. I just watched it for the first time a couple months ago. It was okay, but I don't know why it's revered the way it is. It's far from Pacino's best... It might be De Palma's best, but only because he doesn't have a lot of super good movies under his belt... But I think Carrie is better than Scarface.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I have to agree. I just watched it for the first a couple months ago. It was okay, but I don't know why it's revered the way it is. It's far from Pacino's best... It might be De Palma's best, but only because he doesn't have a lot of super good movies under his belt... But I think Carrie is better than Scarface.

Carlito's Way takes Scarface to town, in my opinion, lol.  One of the best of the gangster genre, I'd say.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I have to agree. I just watched it for the first a couple months ago. It was okay, but I don't know why it's revered the way it is. It's far from Pacino's best... It might be De Palma's best, but only because he doesn't have a lot of super good movies under his belt... But I think Carrie is better than Scarface.

Carlito's Way takes Scarface to town, in my opinion, lol.  One of the best of the gangster genre, I'd say.
    I was just going to make the same comment. I remember re-watching Scarface in College and being completely disappointed with how bad it was. I guess it seemed a lot better when I was 12.

On the other hand, I watched LA Confidential again for the first time in about 20 years and still think it's great. Made me a Russel Crowe fan at the time.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I have to agree. I just watched it for the first time a couple months ago. It was okay, but I don't know why it's revered the way it is. It's far from Pacino's best... It might be De Palma's best, but only because he doesn't have a lot of super good movies under his belt... But I think Carrie is better than Scarface.
    I first saw it in the mid-late 80's at a friends house on VHS tape.  I liked it but haven't really seen the whole movie since then (only parts of it on tv).   The main thing it's kinda long for me, on VHS it was on two tapes which was a rarity (i do remember godfather and titanic being on two tapes).  Besides the violence, language and drug use I don't really remember what the actual plot was :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I first saw it in the mid-late 80's at a friends house on VHS tape.  I liked it but haven't really seen the whole movie since then (only parts of it on tv).   The main thing it's kinda long for me, on VHS it was on two tapes which was a rarity (i do remember godfather and titanic being on two tapes).  Besides the violence, language and drug use I don't really remember what the actual plot was :lol:
    A surprising amount of it was about Scarface being really creepily protective of his younger sister, like to the point where you wonder if he didn't have a sexual hangup about her.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    tbergs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    KC138045 said:
    Scarface

I was just going to make the same comment. I remember re-watching Scarface in College and being completely disappointed with how bad it was. I guess it seemed a lot better when I was 12.

On the other hand, I watched LA Confidential again for the first time in about 20 years and still think it's great. Made me a Russel Crowe fan at the time.
    Yes, Carlito's Way was an excellent film. One of the best in that genre and also l also love Donnie Brasco (back when Johnny Depp made some good movies)

I saw Scarface in the early 90's and liked it, but certainly never  thought about as a classic. I have watched it again, with someone who hadn't seen it, but would not revisit again. I have watched Carlito's way and Donnie Brasco multiple times though

Donnie Brasco was great. Depp really went to hell after he hit it big as Captain Jack Sparrow. His last good movie for me was The Secret Window. Then he just started making mostly crap. His late 90's and early 00's work was his peak.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    tbergs said:
    Donnie Brasco was great. Depp really went to hell after he hit it big as Captain Jack Sparrow. His last good movie for me was The Secret Window. Then he just started making mostly crap. His late 90's and early 00's work was his peak.
    I thought Black Mass was pretty good. Not exactly the 'return to form' that it was made out to be, as it was 3 years ago and he hasn't done anything good since! I loved Donnie Brasco though.

I've never seen Scarface all the way through. Whenever it comes on TV I put it on to see what the fuss is about, but I never make it more than a few minutes before remembering why I always turn it off!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Depp is a woman-beating turd.

I loved Carlito's Way.  Haven't seen in forever.
    LA Confidential was one of the rare movies that got the feel of the book conveyed fairly well, I thought, even if the plot had differences.
  • You guys are being pretty rough on Scarface. When it came out in the early 80s... it was awesome.

It hasn't aged very well, but for the era... the cheesy lines and violence were on point.

I'll still watch it to this day for nostalgia's sake (just like I would Jaws).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    You guys are being pretty rough on Scarface. When it came out in the early 80s... it was awesome.

It hasn't aged very well, but for the era... the cheesy lines and violence were on point.

Wait a minute, did you just put Jaws in the same category as Scarface? No way. Jaws has class.
  • tbergs said:
    You guys are being pretty rough on Scarface. When it came out in the early 80s... it was awesome.

Wait a minute, did you just put Jaws in the same category as Scarface? No way. Jaws has class.
    Hang on a sec... I never quite did that.

I just stated that there are some movies where an appreciation must be had for time and era (no computer assisted- or other innovative- effects among other items).

If I'm chilling before bedtime and looking for a movie to wash over me to stop the flow of thoughts... movies like Jaws, Scarface, First Blood, etc. get the job done for me!
    tbergs said:
    Depp has made some very good movies, early in his career (What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Edward Scissorhands, Donnie Brasco, Sleepy Hollow), but I can't think of one I enjoyed after his first outing as Captain Jack. Black Mass, was okay, but didn't reach the heights it should have. Everything else has been very average, with him playing very similar roles with no range

Depp sucks ass and should go away
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Crush the Skull: A teenage musical.

Okay, I made up the part after the double L's
    Movie was entertaining though.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    Only The Brave (2017)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Depp was awesome in Tusk.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,012
    Deadpool 2

CROJAM95 said:
    Deadpool 2

and....?

The Tingler ('59) starring Vincent Price.  I saw a live riffing of this last night from some of the guys from MST3K.  Movie itself was pretty good/funny, riffing was outstanding!
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    edited May 2018
    Good Time- fun time
    Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Deadpool 2.  It was very entertaining (stay for the credits).
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited May 2018
    Finished The Terror series on AMC. Excellent. 
    Acting was incredible all around, especially good performance by Jared Harris.
    Horror mixed with history.
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.