Europe Tour Routing/Transportation

Comments

• IZIIZI Kraków Posts: 101
    60 days before the trip(this is information from polish railways official site)
    And (I don't know why - it's strange) it's impossible via polish railways internet system.Strange.
    Maximum price without promotion 68Euro (2 class)

PJ 1996 Warszawa, 2000 Katowice 1 ,2007 Chorzów, 2010 Gdynia, 2014 Gdynia, 2018 Amsterdam 1+2, Londyn 1, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Londyn 2
    EV 2019 Amsterdam 1+2, Florence, Barolo, Berlin, Dusseldorf 
  • deftonesdeftones Athens, Greece Posts: 2,444
    PJNB said:
    Also there is still the direct bus option for those that want to travel at night though from what people are saying it would not be as comfortable as a train.

In case we are not doing the train thing then this would be my choice.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    1st time reading this thread in a while.  I thought the 10:24 train was a go!  Now they're saying 2 transfers?

I'm keeping my options open. Does anyone know of a company offering a a large van for a reasonable price?  I thought of renting a 9 passenger van but with gas it'll be like $100/pp. Too expensive, but I'm gonna keep it open in case I can find a better deal.  It's the drop off price that hurts.

The van idea would be good as we can make a 3 hour stop in auschwitz and still get to Krakow by dinner. 
    Red Lukin said:
    1st time reading this thread in a while.  I thought the 10:24 train was a go!  Now they're saying 2 transfers?

I'm keeping my options open. Does anyone know of a company offering a a large van for a reasonable price?  I thought of renting a 9 passenger van but with gas it'll be like $100/pp. Too expensive, but I'm gonna keep it open in case I can find a better deal.  It's the drop off price that hurts.

The van idea would be good as we can make a 3 hour stop in auschwitz and still get to Krakow by dinner. 
    Airplane is cheaper right now, I think that the van/car option is way too expensive, at least for my wallet.
    ATHENS / 30-9-2006, MANCHESTER / 20-6-2012, MANCHESTER / 21-6-2012, AMSTERDAM / 16-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 17-6-2014, AMSTERDAM / 12-6-2018, AMSTERDAM / 13-6-2018, PRAGUE / 1-7-2018, KRAKOW / 3-7-2018, BERLIN / 5-7-2018
  • nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    I'm still holding out hope for this train option to work out. It's almost hilarious how it's like they don't even want our money!
    The van option is a good idea if we can find a company where the cost is reasonable. Plane seems like too much of a hassle and I personally don't want to bother with an overnight bus after the show.

2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

deftones said:
    PJNB said:
    Also there is still the direct bus option for those that want to travel at night though from what people are saying it would not be as comfortable as a train.

In case we are not doing the train thing then this would be my choice.
    flix bus it's cheap and very,very comfortable believe me - very good option
    PJ 1996 Warszawa, 2000 Katowice 1 ,2007 Chorzów, 2010 Gdynia, 2014 Gdynia, 2018 Amsterdam 1+2, Londyn 1, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Londyn 2
    I'm still holding out hope for this train option to work out. It's almost hilarious how it's like they don't even want our money!
    The van option is a good idea if we can find a company where the cost is reasonable. Plane seems like too much of a hassle and I personally don't want to bother with an overnight bus after the show.

The train is a good option even with the 2 transfers, I think it only takes an hour more than the no transfer one. Being with all you dosn't mind at all the extra hour. We could wait until tickets become available for 2nd of July and even take the 2nd class option.
    Yeah same here. Plane too much of a hassle.  I may even consider the overnight train. I gain a day as the day train will eat up most of the day.

Any locals wanna look into private transportation?  I'd be willing to pay a premium especially if they are willing to stop in auschwitz on the way.
    Red Lukin said:
    Yeah same here. Plane too much of a hassle.  I may even consider the overnight train. I gain a day as the day train will eat up most of the day.

Any locals wanna look into private transportation?  I'd be willing to pay a premium especially if they are willing to stop in auschwitz on the way.
    I can't see any overnight train. The only overnight option right now is the bus. This would work for me if train fails.
    edited April 2018
    Red Lukin said:

try to use a bus from transport company - if you need contact in Poland I will try to find for you no problem
    I think 8  passengers bus with driver (with Auschwitz stop) it will be possible for maximum 500 Euro for bus(but I think that will be possible cheaper)
    Look at my comments at page 3
    As I told I payid with friends (Kraków-Prague-Krakow - and driver waited for us during the concert in Prague) less than 1500 zł(about 350 Euro)
    Post edited by IZI on
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    edited April 2018
    deftones said:
    Red Lukin said:

I can't see any overnight train. The only overnight option right now is the bus. This would work for me if train fails.
    Definately a direct overnight train on Monday. Here it is 
    Post edited by Gingerlou77 on
    edited April 2018
    Thanks IZI. I stumbled across this one. https://www.krakowtraveltime.com/prague

Not sure how good or legit they are but 400€ plus a stop in auschwitz doesn't seem too bad.  It's basically 50€ plus auschwitz.

Type in 22:00 to find a the train. Wasn't easy for me at first. Or maybe they don't have them every night.
    Post edited by Red Lukin on
    deftones said:
    Red Lukin said:

Oh ok, you mean the next night train. I was looking for something just after the show.
    deftones said:
    deftones said:
    Red Lukin said:

Oh ok, you mean the next night train. I was looking for something just after the show.
    Ah sorry. There are a couple but cutting it fine on times i think, and not direct!
  • The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,356
    I was looking forward to the day train direct, but two transfers sounds a bit crappy!
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    I think the best thing to do is wait and see what is available when the 60 days out schedule updates. We seem to be all on the same page for the most part but if there is not a direct train like we thought we maybe split up a bit on what we do. 
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    deftones said:

The train is a good option even with the 2 transfers, I think it only takes an hour more than the no transfer one. Being with all you dosn't mind at all the extra hour. We could wait until tickets become available for 2nd of July and even take the 2nd class option.
    Agree..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    If the schedule with the transfers sticks, it also appears that the third train does not have a first class car which makes paying the premium for first less appealing
    Is there a thread for Berlin anywhere? I can't find one.  Where are people staying in Berlin? I'm having trouble deciding, it seems a tad more expensive than Prague and Krakow.
  • nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    The Rock said:
    Is there a thread for Berlin anywhere? I can't find one.  Where are people staying in Berlin? I'm having trouble deciding, it seems a tad more expensive than Prague and Krakow.
    Depends on what you're looking for. I've stayed at Meininger before and they're really good for a hostel (they also have private rooms and there's a few locations around the city). If you're looking for a hotel, I'd recommend choosing something close to the S-bahn lines that go to the venue (S3 and S9). The U2 subway line also goes nearby, but it's a bit farther walk.

What are people's plans for the Krakow -> Berlin trip? Doesn't seem like there's a direct train, sadly. 
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

The Rock said:
    Depends on what you're looking for. I've stayed at Meininger before and they're really good for a hostel (they also have private rooms and there's a few locations around the city). If you're looking for a hotel, I'd recommend choosing something close to the S-bahn lines that go to the venue (S3 and S9). The U2 subway line also goes nearby, but it's a bit farther walk.

What are people's plans for the Krakow -> Berlin trip? Doesn't seem like there's a direct train, sadly. 
    Yeah, the overnight train Krakow to Berlin has two changes which is a total drag. So we're probably going to do the overnight bus. It's direct and comes to less than £20 total for the two of us.
    Airbnb work out reasonable if you're a couple?
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    23scidoo said:
    deftones said:

Agree..
    I agree also. I don't mind losing only one hour,  for a couple of transfers. 
    So where is everyone else staying in Berlin?  We're getting into Berlin early morning on the day of the show (5th) so need somewhere not too far away from the bus station but also not too far away from the venue too!
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    There's a train that stops at Warsaw then to Berlin, so I'm doing that during the day on the 4th. Apparently the direct line from Krakow to Berlin is getting maintenance for a couple of years?

I'm staying in a hotel quite near the zoo, I think.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
    Is Wahldbuhne fairly accessible by train/tram/bus or whatever?
  • SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    The Rock said:
    Looks to be, it's right next to the Olympic Stadium.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
    The Rock said:
    Thanks!  I'm just going in circles looking at a million different hotels.  I really have no idea where to stay :s
    The Rock said:
    The Rock said:
    Thanks!  I'm just going in circles looking at a million different hotels.  I really have no idea where to stay :s
    We're staying in Mitte. Easy to see the sights and get to the venue.
    Sorry for all the questions.  The overnight bus arrives at the Central Bus Station (ZOB). Is the S-Bahn line nearby?