What book are you reading?

Comments

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Recently finished The Interstellar Age by Jim Bell. A fun and insightful read about the Voyager Spacecraft missions.

Currently turn through Final Jeopardy by Stephen Baker. It's the story of IBM creating their Watson computer that won on Jeopardy. 
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    brianlux said:
    After seeing the mind boggling incredible climbing film, Meru, I decided it was high time I pick up Jon Krakaur's Into Thin Air. I am simply ripping through this incredible book!

On my to-watch and read list respectively. :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:l
    After seeing the mind boggling incredible climbing film, Meru, I decided it was high time I pick up Jon Krakaur's Into Thin Air. I am simply ripping through this incredible book!

A fantastic read! I'm a big fan of Krakauer's work.
    I will definitely be reading more of his work! 

Here's a good article I read about him yesterday:
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-jon-krakauer-everest-into-thin-air-20150925-story.html

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I finished Into Thin Air in a flurry of reading today and it left me feeling destroyed.   What an awesome book.  I don't mean "awesome" like "cool" or "great"- I mean awesome like the dictionary definition: extremely impressive or daunting; inspiring great admiration, apprehension, or fear.  One of the heaviest, most engaging, well written, incredible books I've ever read.  This one goes right to the top handful of all-time favorites for me.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Glad you enjoyed it.  He's a hell of a writer.  Read his book Under the Banner of Heaven.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Glad you enjoyed it.  He's a hell of a writer.  Read his book Under the Banner of Heaven.
    That book is disturbing as hell -- and not quite the page-turner that Into Thin Air is. I don't know if it will qualify as awesome, but it definitely stays with you.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    dankind said:
    That book is disturbing as hell -- and not quite the page-turner that Into Thin Air is. I don't know if it will qualify as awesome, but it definitely stays with you.
    Totally agree.  Very different books!
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Agree with Under the Banner of Heaven.  Very different books, but very well written.  I also enjoyed Where Men Win Glory about the death of Pat Tillman in Afghanistan.  Has anyone read his recent book Missoula?
    Didn't read that - just checked it out.
    Agree with Under the Banner of Heaven.  Very different books, but very well written.  I also enjoyed Where Men Win Glory about the death of Pat Tillman in Afghanistan.  Has anyone read his recent book Missoula?
    I'm hoping to get around to all of Krakauer's work.  Great  writer, amazing guy.  On the DVD of the climbing move "Meru" there's a brief extra called "The Calling" where Krakauer talks about what it is we do.  It's amazing!  Well worth checking out.

I'm taking a break from climbing books (planning of reading Ed Viesturs' No Shortcuts to the Top soon) and started reading Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.  Pleasantly strange thus far!

brianlux said:
    I'm hoping to get around to all of Krakauer's work.  Great  writer, amazing guy.  On the DVD of the climbing move "Meru" there's a brief extra called "The Calling" where Krakauer talks about what it is we do.  It's amazing!  Well worth checking out.

I'm taking a break from climbing books (planning of reading Ed Viesturs' No Shortcuts to the Top soon) and started reading Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.  Pleasantly strange thus far!

That's a favorite of mine.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    The Things they Carried by Tim O'Brien. It's a reread, but I last read it almost twenty years ago.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    brianlux said: Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.  Pleasantly strange thus far!

It's been a while since I last read it, but I remember I had the same reaction.
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Finishing up the Southern Reach trilogy with Acceptance. Great series!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    dankind said:
    Both very good books.  First introduced to him with Into the WildWhere Men Win Glory is on my to-read list.

Lol, I was cold the whole time I was reading Into Thin Air.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
    dankind said:
    Both very good books.  First introduced to him with Into the WildWhere Men Win Glory is on my to-read list.

Lol, I was cold the whole time I was reading Into Thin Air.
    Our temperatures here in the foothills were in a narrow range during the recent days when I read Into Thin Air- just hovering a few degrees above and a few below freezing.  Perfect weather for reading this book!

I gave up on Master and Margarita.  It's great but just not my thing right now.  So I started Where Men Win Glory but quickly dropped that one for now.  I found it too disturbing based on my feelings of "why the hell were we in Afghanistan in the first place?" and what a waste of lives, including Tillmman's.

So it looks like I'm going back into the mountains with Ed Viesturs' No Shortcuts to the Top.

While riffling through all the book bins in the basement, looking for The Hobbit to read to my daughter (which I did not find :angry: ), I found the bin with all of my Pynchon and brought up the books to my nightstand. I almost feel whole again. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dankind said:
    While riffling through all the book bins in the basement, looking for The Hobbit to read to my daughter (which I did not find :angry: ), I found the bin with all of my Pynchon and brought up the books to my nightstand. I almost feel whole again. 
    Unexpectedly coming across books you have loved is a wonderful feeling. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dankind said:
    Unexpectedly coming across books you have loved is a wonderful feeling. 
    It will be a wonderful day when all of my books currently trapped in bins in the basement are freed and readily accessible on a shelf. We've lived here for nearly three years now, and there’s just nowhere to put them. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,995
    I sort of binged on all things Jon Krakauer.  Loved Where Men Win Glory and also Missoula - although Missoula is about college rape and very disturbing.  

I'm almost done with this, All the Truth is Out by Matt Bai.  About how the reporting of Gary Hart's affair changed journalism.  Fascinating.  

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    brianlux said:

Awesome book -- I'm about halfway through re-reading it myself, need to get back to it one of these days. I've found it interesting, revisiting books that I read in college. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that they're every bit as good as I remember them being. I also get so much more out of them now that I'm older; I see and understand more than I did back in the day. And, yes, I'm a big fan of reader-response criticism.

I'm currently in the middle of three books: David Frum's Trumpocracy; The Productivity Project ('cause I need to be more productive); and The Power, which is a nice, light, change from all of the political (non-fiction) stuff I've been reading. I'm definitely relishing the occasional break from news/ politics. Frum is a great writer, but as a number of people have noted, this might be the most distressing book ever written.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.

Just finished this book. The writing at the beginning is a little choppy as if her notes weren't clear, but it gets better. There are extraneous descriptions of people, but it can't be denied the impact of this sex discrimination case against Newsweek. It would be a good bookclub read.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Ms. Haiku said:

Just finished this book. The writing at the beginning is a little choppy as if her notes weren't clear, but it gets better. There are extraneous descriptions of people, but it can't be denied the impact of this sex discrimination case against Newsweek. It would be a good bookclub read.
    Wow! An Edvard Munch table?
    Note taker- alright, me too!
    I'll take my coffee black, thank you!  :smiley:

The book looks interesting.  I haven't seen that one but the cover photo looks very familiar somehow.

• dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829

If anyone is so inclined, my latest book came out on Feb 9th and has been connecting with audiences on a level I never expected. The characters do end up at a Pearl Jam show or two............
    It's available on Amazon in print and digital as well as Apple iBooks. Will be available at Barnes and Noble in a month or two. The artwork was done by Rockets are Red, my favorite gig poster artist out there. If anyone like Gaslight Anthem, he did many of their older posters.

"All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

Discovering statistics using IBM SPSS Statistics by Andy Field.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014

If anyone is so inclined, my latest book came out on Feb 9th and has been connecting with audiences on a level I never expected. The characters do end up at a Pearl Jam show or two............
    It's available on Amazon in print and digital as well as Apple iBooks. Will be available at Barnes and Noble in a month or two. The artwork was done by Rockets are Red, my favorite gig poster artist out there. If anyone like Gaslight Anthem, he did many of their older posters.

Bravo Dustin! :clap:
    Three hundred pages into this 800 page book. Chernow is an incredible storyteller. 

Congratulations, dustinpardue! 
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    A Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo

=)

It was cute. And very short, LOL.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.