Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2018
    Just over half of Ontario Conservatives who voted for Ford to lead are obviously idiots, wtf. Such a joke.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    Just over half of Ontario Conservatives who voted for Ford to lead are obviously idiots, wtf. Such a joke.
    I believe Elliot won the majority of the votes and Ridings ... they used some kind of weighted voting system (some say rigged).  Sort of Trump became president...Anyways the whole process seemed way to complicated.  The thing is PJ, the PC could have went into the June election with interim leader and easily won.  However, unless Ford says something incredibly dumb the Tories will win this election still.  And by all that I’ve read about his leadership campaign he didn’t say anything that could get him into trouble, at nothing that I’ve.  Mind you I never really followed the campaign to closely.  I’m not sure if any of the leaders for our 3 big parties are all that popular, but Wynn has to go, even if it means Doug Ford as premier.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    With your obvious political leanings it seems odd you would have such an opinion on the Conservative leadership race in Ontario...
    but then I realized the Liberal Premier has the lowest approval rating in history because of scandal, boondoggles, the mismanagement of the adoption of renewable energy, etc. etc. etc.  and that anyone the Conservatives trot out will inevitably win.

As unlikely as a Notley win in Alberta was (and I have said previously I think she is doing a good job I just wish they would balance the budget sooner than later) it came about because people wanted change.  Ford would not be my first choice but the other candidates seemed rather uninspiring.  Ford has the name recognition and said just enough about anti-abortion (which I do not believe in) to get the votes from that social conservative whack job he was running against.

I don't play too close attention to Ontario politics but my in-laws live in Sudbury (conservative area) so I'm mildly interested.

On another note, isn't it cute to see our PM on CNN and MSNBC letting Americans know he won't be pushed around by Donald Trump and it was a good idea the Tariffs on our steel and aluminum were not levied (I agree).  He is visiting steel mills and shaking hands to show his support for the hardworking Ontarians and Quebecers in the steel industry.
    Where have you been for Albertans as the BC government has been illegally blocking a federally approved pipeline (pipelines are federal jurisdiction).  Why aren't you on CBC and CTV explaining to all Canadians you will not stand idly and you will support the hardworking Canadians in the oil industry as the world is clamoring for our energy resource? 

Hiding behind the environmental debate won't work as steel mills and ore mining contribute greatly to CO2 emissions.  Since Alberta emits only 1.63% of the world's emissions neither industry amounts to much.  Trudeau is floundering from that botched trip to India, the misuse of public funds for a vacation,  and the mishandling of NAFTA negotiations and took this opportunity to try and rekindle some hope in the places he needs to get votes.

If you wonder why Albertans have an attitude problem, this is it.  Any Prime Minister from Quebec outside of Jena Chretien had no use for Alberta. The shortsightedness of this is economic suicide for the country. And as Trudeau throws all of his support behind the steel industry of Eastern Canada he continues to let the oil industry of Alberta flounder for no good reason.  The lack of empathy is astounding... and remember his government APPROVED this pipeline and is doing nothing about it.  

All the NIMBY environmentalists of this forum can now let me have it, with all of your plastic, gas powered transportation, flights to vacations... everything else that oil contributes to your lucky, fat-cat western civilization standard of living.  Noone is complaining about the 400 tankers a week bringing oil through the Juan de Fuca straight from Alaska to the 5 refineries in Seattle.
    How about the natural gas we have that China so desperately needs to produce power as they move away from coal? A pipeline to the coast with liquefied natural gas would be a huge boon to our economy and help with worldwide emissions. NOOOO! LEAVE IT IN THE GROUND THEY SAY as they sleep comfortably in their warm natural gas heated homes.   It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Being a humanitarian first would go a long way in solving the environmental issues... just sayin.

• Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited March 2018
    With your obvious political leanings it seems odd you would have such an opinion on the Conservative leadership race in Ontario...
    but then I realized the Liberal Premier has the lowest approval rating in history because of scandal, boondoggles, the mismanagement of the adoption of renewable energy, etc. etc. etc.  and that anyone the Conservatives trot out will inevitably win.

As unlikely as a Notley win in Alberta was (and I have said previously I think she is doing a good job I just wish they would balance the budget sooner than later) it came about because people wanted change.  Ford would not be my first choice but the other candidates seemed rather uninspiring.  Ford has the name recognition and said just enough about anti-abortion (which I do not believe in) to get the votes from that social conservative whack job he was running against.

I don't play too close attention to Ontario politics but my in-laws live in Sudbury (conservative area) so I'm mildly interested.

On another note, isn't it cute to see our PM on CNN and MSNBC letting Americans know he won't be pushed around by Donald Trump and it was a good idea the Tariffs on our steel and aluminum were not levied (I agree).  He is visiting steel mills and shaking hands to show his support for the hardworking Ontarians and Quebecers in the steel industry.
    Where have you been for Albertans as the BC government has been illegally blocking a federally approved pipeline (pipelines are federal jurisdiction).  Why aren't you on CBC and CTV explaining to all Canadians you will not stand idly and you will support the hardworking Canadians in the oil industry as the world is clamoring for our energy resource? 

Hiding behind the environmental debate won't work as steel mills and ore mining contribute greatly to CO2 emissions.  Since Alberta emits only 1.63% of the world's emissions neither industry amounts to much.  Trudeau is floundering from that botched trip to India, the misuse of public funds for a vacation,  and the mishandling of NAFTA negotiations and took this opportunity to try and rekindle some hope in the places he needs to get votes.

If you wonder why Albertans have an attitude problem, this is it.  Any Prime Minister from Quebec outside of Jena Chretien had no use for Alberta. The shortsightedness of this is economic suicide for the country. And as Trudeau throws all of his support behind the steel industry of Eastern Canada he continues to let the oil industry of Alberta flounder for no good reason.  The lack of empathy is astounding... and remember his government APPROVED this pipeline and is doing nothing about it.  

All the NIMBY environmentalists of this forum can now let me have it, with all of your plastic, gas powered transportation, flights to vacations... everything else that oil contributes to your lucky, fat-cat western civilization standard of living.  Noone is complaining about the 400 tankers a week bringing oil through the Juan de Fuca straight from Alaska to the 5 refineries in Seattle.
    How about the natural gas we have that China so desperately needs to produce power as they move away from coal? A pipeline to the coast with liquefied natural gas would be a huge boon to our economy and help with worldwide emissions. NOOOO! LEAVE IT IN THE GROUND THEY SAY as they sleep comfortably in their warm natural gas heated homes.   It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Being a humanitarian first would go a long way in solving the environmental issues... just sayin.

Edit: never mind.

Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473

Well, your lack of empathy for the perspective of British Columbians against the pipeline is also astounding, so, you know, glass houses and all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

Not a fan of Trudeau?  Why not, just the last few weeks...

-he told a wounded veteran you are asking for more than we can give
    -a disaterous India trip
    -snubbed the Belgium royal couple and their business delegation
    -interrupted a speaker at a town hall, so he could say the word peoplekind
    -rehabilitating ISIS fighers
    -on vacation in florida
    Give Peas A Chance…

Braid: In dig at Ottawa, Notley says no carbon deal without pipeline

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/braid-notley-needs-to-lay-off-b-c-go-after-ottawa-instead

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, your lack of empathy for the perspective of British Columbians against the pipeline is also astounding, so, you know, glass houses and all.
    That argument holds no water (pun intended).  The pipeline process includes a rigorous, and I mean rigorous, environmental approval process.
    Funny you are still stuck on the pipeline, yet have no problem with the other 400 tankers traveling through the strait each day.  I respect the environmental concerns, however I also respect the PROCESS.  This pipeline expansion was approved.

I'd have empathy if nothing you use, consume, drive, heat, or anything else did not use oil. 
    I'd have empathy if the entire world had the advantages we all have because of OIL. 
    I'd have empathy if you were also protesting the tankers who bring oil from countries who have no care for human rights or the environment in their production process (anywhere else in the world compared to Canada).
    I'd have empathy if you did the research and followed the money trail to see where all the anti-pipeline funding is coming from. Keeping Canadian oil landlocked only benefits one country. The US.  I encourage you to look into it. Eye opening. Environmentalism is business and the truth is being clouded.
    I'd have empathy if you understood countries like South Korea WANT our oil because they can't produce their own.  They want our ethical oil. Oil produced with environmental respect.
    I'd have empathy if "British Columbians" (you talk as if you speak for all of them, which I know you don't) took the time to understand this pipeline expansion is part of a larger plan.  Money from the royalties of each barrel of oil is planned to invest in renewable energy research and development.  The carbon tax which Alberta already has will be increased to also fund the R&D.  This is billions of dollars going to further the R&D in renewables not currently available. 

"Nevermind" all the economic benefits which will affect Canadians from coast to coast for jobs in the oil industry AND jobs in renewables R&D and eventual implementation.  The absolute short-shortsightedness of all the protesters in BC, fueled by money from sources who wish to do nothing but keep Alberta oil landlocked because they get it for 40% off is reprehensible. 

If this post doesn't at a minimum give you a moment to ponder your position, then you even mentioning the word empathy is defined with one word - hypocrisy.  I am not saying you have to like pipelines. I am saying there is more at stake than you realize.  There is absolutely no safer, cost-effective or environmentally friendly way to ship oil than pipeline.  The fear mongering is unsubstantiated.  Can you imagine how idiotic we must look to the rest of the world?  They want our resource (badly) and we can't even figure out how to get it to our own coast.

Makes Trump look like a genius...
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on

Wynne spills the beans on carbon pricing

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/h-wynne-spills-the-beans-on-carbon-pricing

Thats all carbon taxes, just another tax grab....
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I'd rather oil go through pipeline than rely on than the  far more dangerous transportation by rail/semi truck...

Lac-Mégantic rail disaster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-Mégantic_rail_disaster

Pipelines are designed by engineers.  Semi Drivers and Railway worker are people we should not want to trust with such dangerous loads when there are other options.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Chris Selley: With Wynne taking a Reefer Madness tone, Doug Ford is voice of reason on marijuana

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/chris-selley-with-wynne-taking-a-reefer-madness-tone-doug-ford-is-voice-of-reason-on-marijuana

At the end of the aisle in which my grocery sells beer and wine candy is for sale, next aisle over is chips.  She's just a bitter woman who's probably pissed that weed was legalized sooner so she could open her poorly designed way to sell pot, the she could hire more government workers to vote for her...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

That argument holds no water (pun intended).  The pipeline process includes a rigorous, and I mean rigorous, environmental approval process.
    Funny you are still stuck on the pipeline, yet have no problem with the other 400 tankers traveling through the strait each day.  I respect the environmental concerns, however I also respect the PROCESS.  This pipeline expansion was approved.

I'd have empathy if nothing you use, consume, drive, heat, or anything else did not use oil. 
    I'd have empathy if the entire world had the advantages we all have because of OIL. 
    I'd have empathy if you were also protesting the tankers who bring oil from countries who have no care for human rights or the environment in their production process (anywhere else in the world compared to Canada).
    I'd have empathy if you did the research and followed the money trail to see where all the anti-pipeline funding is coming from. Keeping Canadian oil landlocked only benefits one country. The US.  I encourage you to look into it. Eye opening. Environmentalism is business and the truth is being clouded.
    I'd have empathy if you understood countries like South Korea WANT our oil because they can't produce their own.  They want our ethical oil. Oil produced with environmental respect.
    I'd have empathy if "British Columbians" (you talk as if you speak for all of them, which I know you don't) took the time to understand this pipeline expansion is part of a larger plan.  Money from the royalties of each barrel of oil is planned to invest in renewable energy research and development.  The carbon tax which Alberta already has will be increased to also fund the R&D.  This is billions of dollars going to further the R&D in renewables not currently available. 

"Nevermind" all the economic benefits which will affect Canadians from coast to coast for jobs in the oil industry AND jobs in renewables R&D and eventual implementation.  The absolute short-shortsightedness of all the protesters in BC, fueled by money from sources who wish to do nothing but keep Alberta oil landlocked because they get it for 40% off is reprehensible. 

If this post doesn't at a minimum give you a moment to ponder your position, then you even mentioning the word empathy is defined with one word - hypocrisy.  I am not saying you have to like pipelines. I am saying there is more at stake than you realize.  There is absolutely no safer, cost-effective or environmentally friendly way to ship oil than pipeline.  The fear mongering is unsubstantiated.  Can you imagine how idiotic we must look to the rest of the world?  They want our resource (badly) and we can't even figure out how to get it to our own coast.

Makes Trump look like a genius...
    Sounds like you guys need a coastline to do with as you please.

I'm not against a pipeline and think that ultimately... there might need to be one. I am against Albertans throwing tantrums, saying really stupid things, and making lame threats because they aren't getting their way at the moment. It's really unflattering and to be honest... it gets my back up.

If there's a future with this project... Alberta might wish to brush up on (speaking of Trump) 'the art of the deal'. And don't try and dress this up as a 'national' issue. This is an Alberta issue to the core.

You won't hold a gun to BC's head and force them into something they aren't completely comfortable with because it would be great for you. Bottom line: among other things... the environmental impact study and benefit analysis left question marks that didn't make the risk-reward worthwhile for BC. If this was a sweet deal for BC... we'd be all over it.

Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
    Once again, we aren’t “holding a gun to anyone’s head”.  

This is is a federal jurisdiction. The federal government has approved the pipeline.
    You stated it would be good for “you” like people in BC aren’t in the same country! It’s laughable.  The economic and environmental benefits are for everyone.  

Your argument is moot. If you aren’t against pipelines why are you “getting your back up”.  This is a sweet deal for CANADA, which last time I checked included BC.  

Nothing in your post refutes a single point I’ve made. It’s just an emotional reaction.  With all do respect, my problem isn’t with British Columbians, it’s with your government and our federal government (as this thread is about politics I will take the high road and not make it personal as you have) :) 
    Any Premier in Notley's shoes would do the same thing...

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2018

This is is a federal jurisdiction. The federal government has approved the pipeline.
    You stated it would be good for “you” like people in BC aren’t in the same country! It’s laughable.  The economic and environmental benefits are for everyone.  

Your argument is moot. If you aren’t against pipelines why are you “getting your back up”.  This is a sweet deal for CANADA, which last time I checked included BC.  

Nothing in your post refutes a single point I’ve made. It’s just an emotional reaction.  With all do respect, my problem isn’t with British Columbians, it’s with your government and our federal government (as this thread is about politics I will take the high road and not make it personal as you have) :) 

I'm getting my back up for exactly what I stated: Albertans are being babies because we are refusing to bend over the pommel horse with a cue ball stuffed up our mouth- serving us a shit sandwich and expecting us to enjoy it.

You're giving yourself too much credit: you haven't made very good points outside of indirectly stating that there is a lot of money to be made for Albertans pumping your oil through BC so you can send it to Asian countries... with a few kickbacks to CANADA (I can yell too). I won't get to everything because everything isn't worth getting to... but did you realize that less than 2% of British Columbians work in the oil and gas sector? Were you making comments about 'ethical oil' and 'environmental benefits' (lol)?

You haven't been listening very well: increased oil tanker traffic off the coast of Vancouver isn't fantastic for many people that live on the coast (or marine life for that matter). I don't live on the coast so I'm not speaking to self preservation. I live in Kamloops. Check your pipeline map and see where that city resides in relationship to the project (and existing one). 

I'd be for the pipeline, but with a much... much... better deal for British Columbians. I have read many reports where BC would garner a few full time jobs (about 50), lose many more full time jobs attached to the coastline, and would expect to receive less than 3% of the total revenue. 

Exactly why are you thinking we should be thrilled? 

Catherine McKenna says Trans Mountain pipeline expansion will make B.C. coast safer

Give Peas A Chance…
    Why does BC have right to impede a federally improved pipeline?  But Alberta doesn’t have the right to retaliate?  Things that make you hmmmm.  
    Give Peas A Chance…

Person dressed as Spider-Man climbs Norwood Bridge in Winnipeg

Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Why does BC have right to impede a federally improved pipeline?  But Alberta doesn’t have the right to retaliate?  Things that make you hmmmm.  
    Because Albertans are "babies".
    dignin said:
    Are you serious or being sarcastic?  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    I didn't make the initial comment and put it in quotes. Of course I'm not serious, I'm not ignorant enough to call the good people of any province stupid names.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    I didn't make the initial comment and put it in quotes. Of course I'm not serious, I'm not ignorant enough to call the good people of any province stupid names.
    Sometimes sarcasm doesn’t come across in written form...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I wasn't too sure how to describe the childish responses I read and hear of. For example: 

Hilarious. If it wasn't so goofy.

If a 'trade war' is actually on the horizon... then fair enough if that is what Alberta thinks will ramrod the project through. Don't drink BC wine, place tolls on gas pipelines... and BC will boycott beef... etc. Sounds like a 'win-win'!

BC is within its rights to impede/protest a really bad deal for them. When Trudeau campaigned, he stated, "Governments can grant permits, but only communities grant permission" in the Liberal election platform. BC doesn't want the deal which is the shits for us for many reasons- all risk and no reward.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings. I wasn't too sure how to describe the childish responses I read and hear of. For example: 

If a 'trade war' is actually on the horizon... then fair enough if that is what Alberta thinks will ramrod the project through. Don't drink BC wine, place tolls on gas pipelines... and BC will boycott beef... etc. Sounds like a 'win-win'!

BC is within its rights to impede/protest a really bad deal for them. When Trudeau campaigned, he stated, "Governments can grant permits, but only communities grant permission" in the Liberal election platform. BC doesn't want the deal which is the shits for us for many reasons- all risk and no reward.
    What makes you think you hurt my feelings?  I have no dog this fight, just an interested observer.  We’ve enough problems in Ontario for my feelings to get hurt over a trade dispute between 2 Canadian province...why would you boycott beef, I thought you were all vegans and drove Prius’s...I kid of course...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…

Troubled waters: Nuclear radiation found in B.C. may pose health concerns

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Toxic+waters+Nuclear+radiation+found+pose+health+concerns/9606269/story.html
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:

What makes you think you hurt my feelings?  I have no dog this fight, just an interested observer.  We’ve enough problems in Ontario for my feelings to get hurt over a trade dispute between 2 Canadian province...why would you boycott beef, I thought you were all vegans and drove Prius’s...I kid of course...lol
    I was speaking to Dignin who seemed to be upset.

I'm buying a barbeque today. Spring is here and old trusty has seen better days. Rest assured there will be plenty of steaks grilled to medium rare (with mushrooms, baked potatoes, salads, beer, and red wine)- this household likes its beef. We like our salmon and halibut too.
    dignin said:
    dignin said:

I'm buying a barbeque today. Spring is here and old trusty has seen better days. Rest assured there will be plenty of steaks grilled to medium rare (with mushrooms, baked potatoes, salads, beer, and red wine)- this household likes its beef. We like our salmon and halibut too.
    BBQ season is a sure sign of spring.  I was just kidding about the meat.  It’s all good.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignin said:
    dignin said:

BBQ season is a sure sign of spring.  I was just kidding about the meat.  It’s all good.

I know you were. Everything is cool.

I'm getting my back up for exactly what I stated: Albertans are being babies because we are refusing to bend over the pommel horse with a cue ball stuffed up our mouth- serving us a shit sandwich and expecting us to enjoy it.

You're giving yourself too much credit: you haven't made very good points outside of indirectly stating that there is a lot of money to be made for Albertans pumping your oil through BC so you can send it to Asian countries... with a few kickbacks to CANADA (I can yell too). I won't get to everything because everything isn't worth getting to... but did you realize that less than 2% of British Columbians work in the oil and gas sector? Were you making comments about 'ethical oil' and 'environmental benefits' (lol)?

You haven't been listening very well: increased oil tanker traffic off the coast of Vancouver isn't fantastic for many people that live on the coast (or marine life for that matter). I don't live on the coast so I'm not speaking to self preservation. I live in Kamloops. Check your pipeline map and see where that city resides in relationship to the project (and existing one). 

I'd be for the pipeline, but with a much... much... better deal for British Columbians. I have read many reports where BC would garner a few full time jobs (about 50), lose many more full time jobs attached to the coastline, and would expect to receive less than 3% of the total revenue. 

Exactly why are you thinking we should be thrilled? 
    Once again... an untilleigent post with very little fact behind it except name calling and divisive rhetoric.

You don’t understand how royalties, taxes, transfer payments of resources within provinces work and how those benefit British Columbia. You want a “sweet deal” which is just ridiculous.

does Alberta ask you for a dime for all the lumber that travels through the province to points east? Should we put a toll booth at the border for each load of plywood headed to Saskatchewan? 

A pipeline is just a conduit to sell oil. Sure it’s good for Alberta, how you can’t for the life of you see how it is good for the entire country is beyond me lol