Europe Tour Routing/Transportation

Hey all,
Didn't see a centralized thread for this, but I'm trying to plan out my Prague > Krakow > Berlin run and it seems that those legs are particularly annoying (really long train rides and no convenient flights.) Anybody looked into them at all or have any recommendations? Also open to discussing splitting a rental (or paying some gas money...) with somebody if anybody has similar problems.

Feel free to use this thread for general Euro Tour routing stuff too!
2006: Hartford
2008: Camden 2, Hartford
2010: Hartford
2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
2015: NYC
2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas

Comments

• SpinTheLastExitSpinTheLastExit Edinburgh, Scotland Posts: 398
    I'm quite happy with the length of the train journey. Just take the day off out and listen to a couple of bootlegs. What I'm doing for the Prague and Krakow journey is booking first class - still pretty cheap - where you can charge your phone and get a jug of Staropramen for the trip! Understandable that everyone is different and doesn't want their butt to fall asleep during a near seven hour train journey.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2014 – Amsterdam I & II, Gdynia, Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2017 – Amsterdam III [EV]
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2022 – Copenhagen, Hyde Park I, St. Louis
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    I'm quite happy with the length of the train journey. Just take the day off out and listen to a couple of bootlegs. What I'm doing for the Prague and Krakow journey is booking first class - still pretty cheap - where you can charge your phone and get a jug of Staropramen for the trip! Understandable that everyone is different and doesn't want their butt to fall asleep during a near seven hour train journey.
    When do you think we can expect the train schedule to update?
    PJNB said:
    I don't know, I think it sticks to a strict schedule of two trains a day to each city. So I believe there's a train that leaves Prague at 10.30am and arrives in Krakow at 5pm. I don't know about you, but I'm struggling to find a reputable looking website that provides the train tickets? Obviously, Italy has Trenitalia, but what does Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Berlin have?
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2018 – London I, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, Madrid, Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • Micheyb21Micheyb21 UK Posts: 235
    Try www.raileurope-world.com - train tickets are usually released 3 months in advance so may still be a little early to book. For generic details about all things trains check out www.seat61.com. 
    2000 Cardiff/ 2006 Paris/ 2011 Toronto/ 2013 Chicago/ 2014 Amsterdam 1 & Milton Keynes, 
    2016 MSG 1 & 2/ 2017 London Ed solo/ 2018 London 1, Padua, Rome, Prague & London 2
    2019 Dusseldorf & Dublin Ed Solo  
    2022 Copenhagen, London 1&2, Budapest, Krakow, Vienna, Prague, Ams 1 & Ams 2
    2024 Manchester, London, Auckland & Sydney
  • vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    check out czech-transport.com 
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • vest71vest71 Posts: 239
    and polrail.com
    Burn my eyes and try to blind me
    Bury me so they won't find me
    Try to suck my power empty
    Got no crown of thorns on me
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,414
    edited March 2018
    PJNB said:
    I don't know, I think it sticks to a strict schedule of two trains a day to each city. So I believe there's a train that leaves Prague at 10.30am and arrives in Krakow at 5pm. I don't know about you, but I'm struggling to find a reputable looking website that provides the train tickets? Obviously, Italy has Trenitalia, but what does Prague to Krakow and Krakow to Berlin have?
    You are right about the train..this is the site..i think we are able to take tickets at early April..
    https://www.cd.cz/en/nase-vlaky/default.htm
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • nippleholicnippleholic Toronto Posts: 1,083
    Me and 2 friends are planning on renting a car for Prague-Krakow-Berlin and might have room for one or two more people.
    Does anyone have any advice on a good rental company in Prague that won't charge us too exorbitantly to drop the car off in Berlin?
    2003: Buffalo, Toronto
    2004: Boston (x2), Toledo, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto (x2), Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit
    2008: New York City (x2), Hartford, Boston II
    2010: Buffalo, Newark, New York City (x2), Nijmegen, Berlin, Werchter
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2012: Amsterdam (x2), Berlin (x2)
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Brooklyn (x2)
    2014: Detroit
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto (x2), Chicago (x2)
    2018: Amsterdam (x2), Padua, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Fort Worth (x2), Austin (x2)

Micheyb21 said:
    Try www.raileurope-world.com - train tickets are usually released 3 months in advance so may still be a little early to book. For generic details about all things trains check out www.seat61.com. 
    Many thanks to you and vest71! I'll check them out.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
  • Cal.PJ.CCal.PJ.C Posts: 180
    I'm hoping to do the over night train
  • Gingerlou77Gingerlou77 Posts: 429
    Im planning the train from Prague around 1.40pm i think, giving me the chance to see a few sights in the morning. Still gets me in before 10pm. Krakow to Berlin I'm getting the arranged bus!
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    There are a bunch of people hiring two buses for the Prague-Krakow-Berlin leg
     https://www.facebook.com/groups/543256526035097/
    It's about 100 Euros for the whole thing. I am not sure how full the buses are yet, though. 
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Me and 2 friends are planning on renting a car for Prague-Krakow-Berlin and might have room for one or two more people.
    Does anyone have any advice on a good rental company in Prague that won't charge us too exorbitantly to drop the car off in Berlin?
    That's a tough one. For insurance purposes you will probably have to tell them you're taking the car into Poland as well. Regardless, that one-way fee will be hard to avoid. If you can get 3/4 people it might help to split the cost. I did Berlin-Gdynia in 2010 and it was a pretty hefty fee if I recall.
    eddiec said:
    That's a tough one. For insurance purposes you will probably have to tell them you're taking the car into Poland as well. Regardless, that one-way fee will be hard to avoid. If you can get 3/4 people it might help to split the cost. I did Berlin-Gdynia in 2010 and it was a pretty hefty fee if I recall.

Yeah, we priced it out with a couple companies (Hertz, Budget) and the drop-off fee alone is over $400 CAD. After you include the rental fee itself, insurance, fuel and international driving permits (for PL and CZ), we're looking at around $550-600 CAD for a two-day rental. I think we're just going to take the train instead. 
    2011: Alpine Valley I, Alpine Valley II, Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa, Hamilton
    2022: San Diego, Los Angeles (x2), Oakland (x2), Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto

• IZIIZI Kraków Posts: 101
    Train from Cracow to Berlin about 250-300 zl per person
    If you will have 4 people  - car rental will be in the same price about 1200 zloty  I think
    But if you will have more people the cheaper options will be micorbus with driver 
    A trip from Cracow to Berlin takes you about 7 hours all via highway 
    In Poland you will pay less than 40 zł for a highway in Germany it's free of charge.

PJ 1996 Warszawa, 2000 Katowice 1 ,2007 Chorzów, 2010 Gdynia, 2014 Gdynia, 2018 Amsterdam 1+2, Londyn 1, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Londyn 2
    EV 2019 Amsterdam 1+2, Florence, Barolo, Berlin, Dusseldorf 
  • Y. VANY. VAN france Posts: 132
    Hello,
    Do you know a reputable website for trains from Krakow to Berlin? Thank you

Une demande "WMA" pour le Tour Européen 2018 

Y. VAN said:
    Hello,
    The train schedule is not out yet for July 4th. I was told you need to wait May 5th since it will update 60 days before the day you want to travel. The sites that I have been using are these. The second one actually has trains you can book on that date but being from Canada I have had no luck with it. Let me know if you find anything out that I have not listed as I still need to book Prague --> Krakow and Krakow --> Berlin.

https://www.goeuro.com/travel-search2/results/786663844/train?v=wa_dw_bwg:on

https://www.bahn.com/en/view/offers/index.shtml

• My brother and I are renting a car with Budget at the Prague airport.  We find it pretty cheap and convenient.  We’ll have a small car and may have 1-2 seats available.  We’ll figure this out more clearly in the coming weeks.

BTW, we are still looking for a pair of tickets for Prague (could be two single GA tickets) and one 10C ticket for Berlin. 
  • IZIIZI Kraków Posts: 101
    website polish railway 
    http://rozklad-pkp.pl/en

PJ 1996 Warszawa, 2000 Katowice 1 ,2007 Chorzów, 2010 Gdynia, 2014 Gdynia, 2018 Amsterdam 1+2, Londyn 1, Padova, Kraków, Barcelona, Londyn 2
    EV 2019 Amsterdam 1+2, Florence, Barolo, Berlin, Dusseldorf 
  • Y. VANY. VAN france Posts: 132
    Thank you. It seems to me that for the moment it is the bus reservations. For trains, it looks complicated. 

PJNB
    said:
    The train schedule is not out yet for July 4th. I was told you need to wait May 5th since it will update 60 days before the day you want to travel. The sites that I have been using are these. The second one actually has trains you can book on that date but being from Canada I have had no luck with it. Let me know if you find anything out that I have not listed as I still need to book Prague --> Krakow and Krakow --> Berlin.

Une demande "WMA" pour le Tour Européen 2018 

PJNB said:
    Y. VAN said:
    Hello,

Likewise, I've been regularly checking. I'll message you nearer the time and see what your plans are, would be good to speak with a few PJ fans on the long journey.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II
    Anyone for the morning train from Prague to Krakow on 2nd of July??..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    Maybe! Or maybe we could catch a bus at 2:30am bus too! What time were you thinking?
    PJNB said:
    23scidoo said:
    Maybe! Or maybe we could catch a bus at 2:30am bus too! What time were you thinking?
    Ι think train is more comfort..the morning train arrives at Krakow at 5 in the afternoon, thats a good time
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    I think I'm going to get the 13.00 train, gives me time to explore Prague in the morning as i only get in on the day of the gig 
    23scidoo said:
    The 10:24 - 17:00 train? Me and my friends will probably be on that one. It sucks you lose a day for travel, but what can you do.

edited April 2018
    23scidoo said:
    The 10:24 - 17:00 train? Me and my friends will probably be on that one. It sucks you lose a day for travel, but what can you do.
    There is an 8:17 - 14:25 train available as well as a lot of bus options. 8:17 may be too early for some people though you do gain almost 3 hours in Krakow. 
    Interested in everyone's travel plans. I arrive late morning in Prague on the day of the gig. Wondering if I should do a whistle stop tour that day to try and get a few hours in Krakow the following day. My original plan was to head straight to GA line in prague after checking in and eating on 1st, sightseeing in Prague Monday morning, train to Krakow Monday pm, spend all day in line in Krakow on the Tues. But that leaves me no time at all to check out Krakow as I'm on the fan bus to Berlin straight after the Krakow gig. Decisions, decisions!
    23scidoo said:
    This one..not to early to leave Prague, not to late to arrive Krakow..we have the afternoon, the night and 3-4 hours in next morning to see the city..do you know when we can take tickets??..i believe early May??..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

23scidoo said:
    I was thinking this one.
    2012 – Manchester II
    2016 – Wrigley I & II
    2019 – Dublin [EV]
    2023 – Chicago I & II