Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Opera Star is badass
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867

A Letter Home (2014). Neil teams up with Jack White’s old recording booth (a Voice-O-Graph) from the 40s. And he still has the nerve to attack mp3s? This choppy, noisy and badly mixed way of recording works better for the Eddie Vedder song Out of Sand, but only barely. Would have loved to have gotten these covers recorded ”properly”, in this manner it’s impossible for me to sit through the album. Best of the songs is the Bruce cover ”My hometown” - Best on the album are the emotional spoken-words tracks with Neil speaking to his dead mother. Those are truly emotional.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Storytone (2014). Neil’s vision is once again splintered so here he gives us three different versions of the same album. One with an Orchestra, one without one and one version mixed. I don’t see how someone would need three different versions of this album. I have a hard time getting through one of them. Neil has always had ”easy” and direct love songs — But here he has turned it all the way to cheese. It’s boring. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I think the solo Storytone is really good, at least 3 stars... I dig A Letter Home as well, 1 star seems harsh on both

I honestly don't think any album in Neil's catalog is 1 star... 

• ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    I've been to see Neil Young live 4 times and he's been amazing each time. The shows have all had a different atmosphere to them as well, based on what sort of band he's had with him etc. I don't think I've ever heard a piece of music by him and thought that it was bad, honestly now.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    my2hands said:
    I think the solo Storytone is really good, at least 3 stars... I dig A Letter Home as well, 1 star seems harsh on both

I think there are some really good songs on Storytone. I like different ones from each disc depending on my mood. And there are some pretty honest lyrics in there.

I preordered Roxy and Paradox on vinyl today from Neil’s site. More Neil, more vinyl!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

I think there are some really good songs on Storytone. I like different ones from each disc depending on my mood. And there are some pretty honest lyrics in there.

I preordered Roxy and Paradox on vinyl today from Neil’s site. More Neil, more vinyl!
    Is there a difference preordering from his site or buying it on RSD?
    goldrush said:
    my2hands said:

Is there a difference preordering from his site or buying it on RSD?
    The RSD version includes a print of the band. It's not something I need, and you get a digital download on release day when you buy it from his site (surprising for Mr Anti-MP3!)

(Tim Rogers)
    But, should I buy the western-movie soundtrack OR THIS GLORIOUS SPAWN MOVIE SOUNDTRACK RELEASE?

Should I pay 13-14 dollars for a copy of Freedom? I noticed I don't have that one on vinyl but found it in the city...

Remember back when it cost like 7-8 dollars here in Sweden used... 

Don't own landing on water either.
    Should I pay 13-14 dollars for a copy of Freedom? I noticed I don't have that one on vinyl but found it in the city...

Remember back when it cost like 7-8 dollars here in Sweden used... 

Don't own landing on water either.
    Absolutely! Freedom is a cool record and it's nice to have it on vinyl

(Tim Rogers)
    Paradox trailer...

https://youtu.be/uecHqZx_wrs

Yep. Pretty weird...

(Tim Rogers)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Neil and Darryl certain seem to have their own little thing going on, eh?
    I'm not even sure what that movie is from the trailer. Is it about music? Or an actual movie with a story line? Is Neil acting in it? Or just performing and being himself? Only time will tell, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Every newly recorded NY album, Ive waited on buying and I usually get it for $10-$20. I'm gonna hold off on this one as well. 

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Every newly recorded NY album, Ive waited on buying and I usually get it for $10-$20. I'm gonna hold off on this one as well. 

New album? I seriously can't even keep up with all of his releases. Which album is new?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The Promise. It was $9 a week or so ago on Amazon. Before that I got Earth for $20 and Monsanto for $12. 

So I assume this soundtrack will be $10 by the fall.

In Sweden it seems Neils albums are always expensive (on vinyl), then they disappear and suddenly costs 10 times as much used. And I'm left trying to get my brother to sell his Dreamin Man LP to me.
    goldrush said:
    Paradox trailer...

Yep. Pretty weird...
    That looks embarrassing. 
    goldrush said:
    Paradox trailer...

Yep. Pretty weird...
    That looks embarrassing. 
    "The Man in the Black Hat, I heard he can be kinda shakey" made me cringe a little! Saying that, I'll still watch it!

Neil is one of only a few artists now where I make sure I buy the physical formats of their new stuff as soon as it is released. I never bother waiting for prices to drop. It's probably only Neil, PJ, Mark Lanegan, Foy Vance, and Joseph Arthur, I'm happy to wait for most others now or just buy downloads.

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm more interested in tour dates and the soundtrack

The Monsanto Years (2015). Neil brings in Willie Nelsons son’s band and it sounds Crazy Horse-esque. I dug them alot when I saw Neil in Berlin in 2016. And I thought both Seed Justice (not featured on the album) and People Want to Hear About Love were... fun. But I don’t like this album. Nowadays when Neil wants to protest he sounds mostly cranky. And a record about GMOs should have maybe been just an EP and maybe been given away for free with a ticket to Farm Aid. Promise of the Real sounds great with Neil - I doubt I will put on this album too often though...

Peace Trail. I’ve had such a problem judging this album. This is not a... good album. But the sloppiness, the demo-feel and the drums together with Neils playing makes it more enjoyable than it should be. But it is not a good album. But it’s quite... nice. 
    edited March 2018
    Going in to buy Harvest Moon for my two brothers now -- They cost 35 dollars. I bought in on RSD for 25.
    You couldn't give someone a much better gift than Harvest Moon. That's one great record from front to back, inside to out. I love the whole thing.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    Just know that the Harvest Moon LP is digitally sourced, which is rare for Neil, and why they released it out of order. 

Do not over pay for it
    In this day and age I rarely buy vinyl anymore. Maybe a few times a year if I'm in really good mood to treat myself. It's just become too expensive. However, I have it on C.D and also on Apple Music. These are the things that probably would make Uncle Neil barf if he heard them.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    They had a different price in store, it was 28 dollars. 48 dollars for ALIVE III was too much for me though.
    Yeah, like I said, I'd only buy something like that when I've had some reason to celebrate or something. I was spending A LOT of money on records.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
    The Promise. It was $9 a week or so ago on Amazon. Before that I got Earth for $20 and Monsanto for $12. 

So I assume this soundtrack will be $10 by the fall.

Are you talking vinyl now?
    Yep.