The Food Thread

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    My boy was in his play kitchen whipping me up some lunch yesterday, and I was in the other room waiting to be served, and I heard him say, "all done? No, put hot sauce on it"
    Talk about a proud Papa!
    :lol: That's awesome!!

By the way, I got a bottle of The Last Dab reaper edition yesterday.  They ran out of Pepper X peppers so, while they're growing more, they had to make a batch with Carolina reapers. Other than the peppers, it's the exact same recipe. Gonna try it out tomorrow at wing night.
    Do you buy a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner with every bottle of The Last Dab?
    A box of Clorox wands refills.
    And a fresh roll of shit tickets. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    The wife and I finally got to celebrate tonight.

Dry aged bone in rib eye for me. Filet for her. Both souls vide to 135 then finished on the grill with a garlic and parsley butter

sliced pork belly...over cooked. Going to try to repurpose in an omelette tomorrow 

Parmesan asuapragus

Roasted red pepper 

sautéed spinach 

le miccine Chianti Classico (a winery we stayed in in Italy)

• hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Looks and sounds incredible! What a special night for the two of you.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Wow very nice!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Sunday Grammy Gravy
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Sunday Grammy Gravy
    What you got going on in there? Any Meat?
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited March 2018
    It's gotta have meat in there to be gravy. Otherwise.....SAUCE.
    Of course there's meat in there. Just ground beef when the pic was taken. Wife's meatballs were added a bit later. 

Olive oil, lots o'garlic cloves, one large red onion, large can whole tomatoes, large can of crushed tomatoes, small can tomato paste, coarse black pepper, sea salt, crushed red pepper, oregano, Italian seasoning, sugar, fresh basil and parsley, lots of parmesan and Romano cheese and then need to add some water. + whichever meat you want. 

The pasta is just a bonus. This is a meal all it's own. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    The local italian market calls their sauce 'Gravy' even though it has no meat in it.  I usually buy some of their meatballs and chunk them up in there, as well. 
    You could pour this over a burnt piece of toast and it would be an amazing piece of bread.

That gravy looks/sounds like good stuff there, Mr The Juggler.
    edited March 2018
    Of course there's meat in there. Just ground beef when the pic was taken. Wife's meatballs were added a bit later. 

Olive oil, lots o'garlic cloves, one large red onion, large can whole tomatoes, large can of crushed tomatoes, small can tomato paste, coarse black pepper, sea salt, crushed red pepper, oregano, Italian seasoning, sugar, fresh basil and parsley, lots of parmesan and Romano cheese and then need to add some water. + whichever meat you want. 

Yeah, I thought I saw ground beef in there, which was why I asked.  The red onion is unique. This is along the lines of my old man's recipe with the ground beef, which I have taken on.  The wife's family does meatballs, pork (pork bones) and braciolee but doesn't do any ground meat.  I like it both ways, but they always call ours a bolognese, so glad to see others do it this way too.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

Yeah, I thought I saw ground beef in there, which was why I asked.  The red onion is unique. This is along the lines of my old man's recipe with the ground beef, which I have taken on.  The wife's family does meatballs, pork (pork bones) and braciolee but doesn't do any ground meat.  I like it both ways, but they always call ours a bolognese, so glad to see others do it this way too.
    My wife has an Italian dude who married in to the family and he makes a killer sauce (grows a bunch of different types of tomatoes throughout the year for his annual holiday dinner of pasta and gravy) and he makes meatballs, amazing pork sausages, and puts hard boiled eggs in there as well.  He is a butcher and knows what he is doing on the meatballs and sausages.
    Look forward to this every year.  Her mostly French-Czech-English family has not a single fucking clue on pasta and the stuff that goes with it.  The few of us with Italian blood in us in the extended in-law family work to educate the others based on the teachings of our grandparents.  ;)
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    You say "gravy", and I think of.......

My F-I-L butchers pasta, so hard.  I gently took over the task of cooking whatever pasta he wants whenever we are doing dinner together.  Didn't tell him that he fucks it all up but played the long game until I got where we are now.
    edited March 2018
    Recreated my wife’s aunt’s chicken salad to put into my lunch salads this week. Her family’s cooking is suspect but this chicken salad is so fucking good. They use use it on crackers and stuff for appetizers at family gatherings. 

Godspeed. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

hedonist said:
    You say "gravy", and I think of.......

I always think of Uncle Junior. “Gravy’s good tonight.”
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh, I vacillated between the Sops and GF.

And then you got the scene of Paulie in Italy.
    hedonist said:
    Oh, I vacillated between the Sops and GF.

And then you got the scene of Paulie in Italy.
    Yup. Every time we have a pasta dinner with my family, like clockwork, myself or my other brothers always say "gravy's good tonight" or something. Ha
    chinese-happy.jpg
    First time my wife invited me over for gravy on a Sunday, i was like what in the hell is this person talking about?  What are we having with gravy? Turkey?  If so, why wouldn't you just say turkey?  So confused.  I definitely heard it before, but I guess it never registered.  Now, I'm the one responsible for most of it, with the mother in law's direction, of course
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Recreated my wife’s aunt’s chicken salad to put into my lunch salads this week. Her family’s cooking is suspect but this chicken salad is so fucking good. They use use it on crackers and stuff for appetizers at family gatherings. 

Godspeed. 

A good chicken salad recipe is a necessity.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I can't do chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, ham salad, etc.   Cold, creamy meat goop that looks like it's already been eaten is a no go.
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I can't do chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad, ham salad, etc.   Cold, creamy meat goop that looks like it's already been eaten is a no go.
    Same!
    Laughed @ Dyer's description but I love good Chicken/Tuna/Egg/Pasta salad.  Ham Salad?  Don't believe I have had that.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847

Godspeed. 

I add vinegar to my turkey/chicken salad.  Do you?  It gives it a killer flavor.
    First time my wife invited me over for gravy on a Sunday, i was like what in the hell is this person talking about?  What are we having with gravy? Turkey?  If so, why wouldn't you just say turkey?  So confused.  I definitely heard it before, but I guess it never registered.  Now, I'm the one responsible for most of it, with the mother in law's direction, of course
    I always thought the term "Gravy" for sauce was a philly thing?

Out in the midwest they use "gravy" on rice, but it's actual brown gravy.

I tell you this world is all messed up...
    Spam salad is the tits. 

Egg salad is essential for dysfunctional family gatherings. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Love chicken salad
    I always thought the term "Gravy" for sauce was a philly thing?

Out in the midwest they use "gravy" on rice, but it's actual brown gravy.

I tell you this world is all messed up...
    I think it's a Philly/Jersey thing for the most part.  Quite confusing when I first moved here.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Godspeed. 

I add vinegar to my turkey/chicken salad.  Do you?  It gives it a killer flavor.
    Vinegar and sugar are the absolute must haves for any "salad" whether it goes in a bowl or on bread.

My mom makes the best macaroni salad you never had.  
    Always let it get cozy with the baked beans.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I do chicken salad with curry powder, grapes and pecans. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    rgambs said:

Godspeed. 

Vinegar and sugar are the absolute must haves for any "salad" whether it goes in a bowl or on bread.

My mom makes the best macaroni salad you never had.  
    Always let it get cozy with the baked beans.
    I don't do the sugar in my chicken/turkey salads.  I know a bunch of people do.  

In a potato salad I will though!