Post your stereo system!

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited December 2017
    bflynn1 said:
    Turntable Lab has the Denon DP-300F w/ Ortofon 2m Red Cartridge Upgrade for $269. Thinking about upgrading from my Audio Technica LP120. Any feedback on this table/cartridge combo?
    Totally awesome package. I have it and couldn't be happier. Great deal too, wow. I got mine for $410 and thought that was a really good deal. But if you're looking for a bigger sound upgrade, perhaps get that TT (which is awesome because it is a quality automatic, which is next to impossible to find - I personally think that feature alone is worth the purchase), and get the blue Ortofon cartridge instead of the red. Obviously that will cost more, but yeah, that will improve your sound.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Once I get around to running over my Pro-reJect Carbon Debut a few time with my car I'll post pics.  
    Why would you do that?  What happened to it?
    It says "re-ject" so I can only assume it's a defective one?

@brianlux ?
    I was a big ProJect fan at first but then problems started to develop.  I suppose their higher end stuff might be better, but I'm not sure.  I feel badly because I had previously given the Debut Carbon good ratings here and elsewhere.  I can't do that any more.  When I get the time and money to upgrade, I'll review whatever comes next! 
    It's such a simple machine, I'm surprised you've had problems.  I've had mine for a few years now and have been really happy.  Maybe a Rega next?  They are in about the same price and quality category.
    Could be luck of the draw.  I've known of others who haven been happy with the ProJect and others, no.  Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about the Rega Planar 3 with an Ely2 cartridge... if I can swing it.  Maybe next year.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I upgraded my VPI HW-19 from a Grado Blue to a Grado Silver and it sounds excellent (Runs through a Marantz 2200 receiver to a pair of bookshelf Polks).

Its like having a new table. 
  • brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Once I get around to running over my Pro-reJect Carbon Debut a few time with my car I'll post pics.  

@brianlux ?
    I was a big ProJect fan at first but then problems started to develop.  I suppose their higher end stuff might be better, but I'm not sure.  I feel badly because I had previously given the Debut Carbon good ratings here and elsewhere.  I can't do that any more.  When I get the time and money to upgrade, I'll review whatever comes next! 
    It's such a simple machine, I'm surprised you've had problems.  I've had mine for a few years now and have been really happy.  Maybe a Rega next?  They are in about the same price and quality category.
    Could be luck of the draw.  I've known of others who haven been happy with the ProJect and others, no.  Yeah, I'm definitely thinking about the Rega Planar 3 with an Ely2 cartridge... if I can swing it.  Maybe next year.
    I've been running a Project debut carbon for a few years now and no problems here Brian!?!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

@brianlux ?
    I've been running a Project debut carbon for a few years now and no problems here Brian!?!
    They seem to run hot and cold.  I can't afford another chance with Project and overall the Rega's have a better reputation.  I'm squirreling away my "allowance"!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

@brianlux ?
    They seem to run hot and cold.  I can't afford another chance with Project and overall the Rega's have a better reputation.  I'm squirreling away my "allowance"!
    Yeah I don't blame you going another direction.  I was torn between Pro and a Rega.  If my burned out, I'd be going to a Rega too.  I'm sure they both sound awesome.  
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Got Elac F5 speakers for Christmas. For budget "audiophile" speakers I think they sound great so far.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Congrats! Have any pics of your new setup?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    This is not mine - I wish!!! But I thought some of you might enjoy seeing this awesome setup that is currently on display in the Vancouver Art Gallery (I was there a couple weeks ago). If memory serves it's a part of an exhibit of retro Scandinavian design. Pretty cool! I love it in person. I want it! Those globes are the speakers of course. And on the right side there is the bin for records, sliding separators built in. Me and a few other vinyl people were all standing there looking at if for a good 10 minutes, all talking about how much we want it, lol. It's so weird. I believe it is called the Q2? G2? Like an idiot, I took a photo of the thing, but forgot to photo the accompanying placard.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 5 towers..........love 'em.  They sound great for movies and music!

Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    PJ_Soul said:
    This is not mine - I wish!!! But I thought some of you might enjoy seeing this awesome setup that is currently on display in the Vancouver Art Gallery (I was there a couple weeks ago). If memory serves it's a part of an exhibit of retro Scandinavian design. Pretty cool! I love it in person. I want it! Those globes are the speakers of course. And on the right side there is the bin for records, sliding separators built in. Me and a few other vinyl people were all standing there looking at if for a good 10 minutes, all talking about how much we want it, lol. It's so weird. I believe it is called the Q2? G2? Like an idiot, I took a photo of the thing, but forgot to photo the accompanying placard.

Wow yeah that’s an interesting piece of kit, did you hear it?
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    I purchased a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 5 towers..........love 'em.  They sound great for movies and music!

I have these exact speakers in black, they are very good and only get better after 2-3 weeks of playback. I want to upgrade to their next level speakers, the silver series..
    ^^^^^  I've had them since September, I  believe you (reesdog) and a few others recommended them!  Right price and right size for my room. Thanks!
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    reesdog said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Wow yeah that’s an interesting piece of kit, did you hear it?
    Unfortunately no. This was a display only situation (I wasn't even allowed to touch it or get any closer to it than I did for this photo).
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    ^^^^^  I've had them since September, I  believe you (reesdog) and a few others recommended them!  Right price and right size for my room. Thanks!
    Yep! I have the black ones like reesdog as well. I believe I bought mine based on his post WAAAY back in this thread somewhere. I've had mine for a little over a year now and absolutely love them.
    PJ_Soul said:

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. It looks like a Dual turntable in there.
    bflynn1 said:
    Yep! I have the black ones like reesdog as well. I believe I bought mine based on his post WAAAY back in this thread somewhere. I've had mine for a little over a year now and absolutely love them.
    Glad I could be of some assistant to you fine people. They are great speakers, look good too, not too big and Monitor Audio is a quality brand..
    Who else? This thread needs more action!
    Updates to my system:

Got a really good deal on these Rotel seperates, my Cambridge Audio amp was having issues with the phono stage, was told by the repair guy it would be out of action for a couple of weeks. No record playing for at least 2 weeks?! Not this kid, dropped in at a couple of hi-fi places on my way home that day and saw this lot for a really nice price, we're talking around 50% off. Had a listen and thought yep, I'll take that.

All brand new..

Rotel RCD-630 CD Player.
    Rotel RA-630 Integrated Amplifier.
    Rotel RT-12 Digital Gateway.

It's not a massive leap in sound from my previous set-up, but it is noticeable and seems to be getting better the more I play things. Nice to have a CD player, I would never have brought one if it wasn't such a good deal and its been fun playing a few of my old CD's that I don't have on vinyl. The RT-12 is for radio and internet radio, probably won't use it too often, but as I said it was a bargain. I mostly play vinyl and its sounding great here.

Are you using the integrated as your TT amp? Any degradation vs your preamp?

Is the 60wpc enough to power those towers? 
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah the integrated is for the turntable, sounds better than the last amp I had, which was an integrated too. 60wpc seems absolutely fine, volume goes up to 100, haven't had it past 75 and that fricken loud.. 
    Nice score, reesdog! That's a clean set up you have there.
    reesdog said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yeah the integrated is for the turntable, sounds better than the last amp I had, which was an integrated too. 60wpc seems absolutely fine, volume goes up to 100, haven't had it past 75 and that fricken loud.. 
    What does the gateway do for you? Does it stream from your pc using DLNA or is it more limited?
    dudeman said:
    Nice score, reesdog! That's a clean set up you have there.
    Thanks mate, pretty happy with it..

mrussel1 said:
    reesdog said:
    mrussel1 said:

What does the gateway do for you? Does it stream from your pc using DLNA or is it more limited?
    Yeah can stream via Wi-Fi, also is for radio and internet radio..
    reesdog said:
    Updates to my system:

Got a really good deal on these Rotel seperates, my Cambridge Audio amp was having issues with the phono stage, was told by the repair guy it would be out of action for a couple of weeks. No record playing for at least 2 weeks?! Not this kid, dropped in at a couple of hi-fi places on my way home that day and saw this lot for a really nice price, we're talking around 50% off. Had a listen and thought yep, I'll take that.

All brand new..

Rotel RCD-630 CD Player.

It's not a massive leap in sound from my previous set-up, but it is noticeable and seems to be getting better the more I play things. Nice to have a CD player, I would never have brought one if it wasn't such a good deal and its been fun playing a few of my old CD's that I don't have on vinyl. The RT-12 is for radio and internet radio, probably won't use it too often, but as I said it was a bargain. I mostly play vinyl and its sounding great here.

Beautiful!!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    edited March 2018
    dudeman said:
    PJ_Soul said:

That's really cool. Thanks for sharing. It looks like a Dual turntable in there.
    I never even really noticed that!
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    reesdog said:
    Updates to my system:

All brand new..

Rotel RCD-630 CD Player.

Nice! Rotel is quality equipment.
    MedozK said:
    reesdog said:
    Updates to my system:

All brand new..

Rotel RCD-630 CD Player.

Nice! Rotel is quality equipment.
    Thanks, yeah more than happy with it. And have been using the internet streamer much more than I thought I would..
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    It’s pretty easy to guess what I’m listening to at any time...

severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2