Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Anyway, it Looks like Roxy is about to drop soon. Probably for RSD and then a wider release a few weeks later. Like Harvest Moon. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I'm an analog kind of guy but even I will admit that digital can sound good if done right.  But given the choice, I always go with well recorded analog.  And no matter what the argument, I'm forever grateful for Neil Young championing analog and helping it get a foothold again.  I think he's done a lot to help get the choice to have analog after that choice was mostly taken away in the 80's by the digital CD frenzy that led so many people (LIKE ME!) to be idiots and dump a lot of there LP's.  I've slowly built my vinyl collection back up to speed (and then some) over the years.  
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited February 2018
    Just give me good tunes and master it well. I don't care how its presented. I will always buy vinyl though.
  • lolobugg said:
    goldrush said:
    This is a cool little read

Trent Reznor: " I heard Neil Young say that doesn't sound good." Like Neil Young would know his ass from a hole in the ground about digital recording. Nothing against Neil Young, but people get these archaic notions.

Fuck Reznor. he's a talentless hack.
    Get out of here.

Reznor producing a Young album would be GOAT.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I submitted this in another thread but I'm so fired up about it I'm submitting it here too!

Inambled into a record shop in a town Inwas at over the weekend and voila (brand new and only 29 CAN):

"My brain's a good brain!"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I submitted this in another thread but I'm so fired up about it I'm submitting it here too!

Inambled into a record shop in a town Inwas at over the weekend and voila (brand new and only 29 CAN):

Awesome! Such a great record
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    Anyway, it Looks like Roxy is about to drop soon. Probably for RSD and then a wider release a few weeks later. Like Harvest Moon. 

I’m pretty sure I read Roxy will be released in March. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I read the NYA will have different levels of membership,  some of which will include early access to buy concert tix... sign me up!

edited February 2018

The LincVolt Years - Official Outtake

https://youtu.be/DWHc2xL1_TE 
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
    So Roxy is a RSD first release (as a limited version - prob numbered) and then a standard version a few weeks later (via p4k)

• Americana (2012). I’m surprised but I really LOVE this album. Didn’t give it much attention on release but thank god I did now. Neil taking old american classic songs and turning them into garagerock with great grungy backing from Crazy Horse. I COME FROM ALABAMA WITH MY B-A-N-J-O ON MY KNEE! 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

• Psychedelic Pill (2012). It’s hard to resist Crazy Horse, but here they made me struggle. I could not get through the 15-30 minute songs when it was released. Or stand the album cover. Neil has always been topical, but the tweet-ness of his lyrics are lately - as on here - often on the banal side. But there is something damn soothing about the Crazy Horse sound, so here I’ll live through grumpy Neil lashing out on the quality of MP3s. 

Americana (2012). I’m surprised but I really LOVE this album. Didn’t give it much attention on release but thank god I did now. Neil taking old american classic songs and turning them into garagerock with great grungy backing from Crazy Horse. I COME FROM ALABAMA WITH MY B-A-N-J-O ON MY KNEE! 

Psychedelic Pill (2012). It’s hard to resist Crazy Horse, but here they made me struggle. I could not get through the 15-30 minute songs when it was released. Or stand the album cover. Neil has always been topical, but the tweet-ness of his lyrics are lately - as on here - often on the banal side. But there is something damn soothing about the Crazy Horse sound, so here I’ll live through grumpy Neil lashing out on the quality of MP3s. 

I love both of those records. I think they’re both worth 4 stars.
    Ramada Inn is definitely a top 10 Neil song for me.

(Tim Rogers)
    Gig news! And there’s a possibility that it may be live-streamed too :)

(Tim Rogers)
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    RS151862 said:

https://www.spin.com/2018/02/neil-young-tonights-the-night-live-album-announcement-record-store-day/

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    goldrush said:
    Gig news! And there’s a possibility that it may be live-streamed too :)

PLAY OPERA STAR AND SLIP AWAY!
    goldrush said:

Americana (2012). I’m surprised but I really LOVE this album. Didn’t give it much attention on release but thank god I did now. Neil taking old american classic songs and turning them into garagerock with great grungy backing from Crazy Horse. I COME FROM ALABAMA WITH MY B-A-N-J-O ON MY KNEE! 

Psychedelic Pill (2012). It’s hard to resist Crazy Horse, but here they made me struggle. I could not get through the 15-30 minute songs when it was released. Or stand the album cover. Neil has always been topical, but the tweet-ness of his lyrics are lately - as on here - often on the banal side. But there is something damn soothing about the Crazy Horse sound, so here I’ll live through grumpy Neil lashing out on the quality of MP3s. 

I love both of those records. I think they’re both worth 4 stars.
    Ramada Inn is definitely a top 10 Neil song for me.
    I think my favorite on the album is Walk like a Giant.
    I would love to see Opera Star 
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    kramer73 said:
    RS151862 said:

https://www.spin.com/2018/02/neil-young-tonights-the-night-live-album-announcement-record-store-day/

Thanks for the info. Just preordered
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

Fuck her, and the NRA
    my2hands said:
    Fuck her, and the NRA

she can go shove a PONO up her ass!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

From Consequence Of Sound:

"Last month, we learned that actress Daryl Hannah directed a film starring her boyfriend, the estimable folk legend Neil Young. Called Paradox, it’s a western described as “a fantasy, a loud poem and a free-spirited tale of music and love.” It’s set to debut at South by Southwest next week, and, as we’ve just learned, will premiere worldwide on Netflix on March 23rd.

Young stars in the film alongside Willie Nelson and his sons, Lukas and Micah, as well as members of Young’s backing band, Promise of the Real. It follows a band of outlaws named “Man in the Black Hat” (Neil Young), the “Particle Kid” (Micah Nelson) and “Jail Time” (Lukas Nelson) as they search for treasure in the mountains. Original music by Young and Promise of the Real will underscore the proceedings. As we previously reported, it seems that a portion of Young’s 2016 concert in Telluride, Colorado, during which Young and his band donned “full retro Western outfits,” will be used in the film.

Hannah says in a press statement: “Paradox sprung up spontaneously and unexpectedly, like a peculiar dandelion, popping up between the cracks in the pavement. We were fortunate to find this brief window of opportunity to share the love for the natural world, each other and for the precious seeds of creativity and life. We are all thrilled the film will premiere at SXSW and that Netflix will be sharing it with the world.”

On the same day as its Netflix premiere, Reprise/Warner Bros. Records will release Paradox (Original Music from the Film), on which you’ll hear studio and live performances from Young and his band, as well as covers and music composed exclusively for the film."

(Tim Rogers)
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594
    Sounds like Magical Mystery Tour, although I hope it gets better reviews.  :)
    edited March 2018
    No films Neil does are "good". That is not how it works.
    lolobugg said:
    Reading this article, my first reaction to Loesch and her stupid comments was to hear in my head Bob Dylan's song "Idiot Wind".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,817
    I have always been a big fan of Neil, but have really started to get more into him the last few years. I had really only ever listed to his 70s albums, then scattered hits after that. But thanks to @Spiritual_Chaos and the album blurbs recently, I've been going through his catalog chronologically for the firs time. I am currently on Landing on Water. The Reactor Trans Everybodys Rockin stretch was.....a little tough.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
    brianlux said:
    lolobugg said:
    Reading this article, my first reaction to Loesch and her stupid comments was to hear in my head Bob Dylan's song "Idiot Wind".

exactly. I guess it takes a special kind of "idiot" to be a spokeswoman for the NRA.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    brianlux said:
    lolobugg said:

exactly. I guess it takes a special kind of "idiot" to be a spokeswoman for the NRA.
    Yep, especially these days!

pjpitt89 said:
    I have always been a big fan of Neil, but have really started to get more into him the last few years. I had really only ever listed to his 70s albums, then scattered hits after that. But thanks to @Spiritual_Chaos and the album blurbs recently, I've been going through his catalog chronologically for the firs time. I am currently on Landing on Water. The Reactor Trans Everybodys Rockin stretch was.....a little tough.
    Oh cool! JUST WAIT TILL I GO THROUGH CREED!

(BTW-- Opera Star from Reactor though! yummy)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJroVZNx9lc