Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Personally I don’t see any of the online “criticisms” of Trudeau being any different from the vitriol spewed at Harper. It’s all just a matter of which side of the fence you sit on. Perhaps the fact there’s a “fence” at all is half the problem, we’re all too entrenched in our own views.

While I’ve (obviously?) never been a fan of our current PM, I’m still hoping he’ll do something to win me over, but he keeps digging himself deeper holes.

Is it perhaps telling that there’s been zero mention in this thread (what better place, after all?) about Dawson’s ethics findings against Trudeau? And saying Harper was as bad or worse is nonsense, I’m sorry. It was Trudeau’s Liberals that campaigned on being so different from the previous government, yet seemingly can’t/won’t walk the walk after talking the talk.
    I know what you're getting at, but I actually do notice a difference. With Harper, people were pissed off and hated them, but they tended to hate him for real shit. But now I'm seeing that the great majority of the hate is based on silly bullshit. Like, I don't know how many time I read about how Trudeau was a drama teacher and how that makes him unqualified. Well, this is just garbage. For one, he taught more than drama. Also, talk about undervaluing teaching, holy. But most importantly, it completely dismisses the fact that Trudeau was already an elected politician for a fair bit of time before he even ran for leadership, and the fact that he was actually every bit as qualified as Harper was when he was first elected. Yet I never once saw the people who hated his guts go off about how unqualified he was, because he wasn't, just like Trudeau isn't. And then as HFD said, much of the vitriol is just bullcrap based in racism and not distinguishing between reality and fact. The Kadr thing is a great example. Trudeau has always been very clear about why the settlement was made. It is logical and based on the Charter of Rights, not his personal opinions. Yet people keep blabbing about how he embraces terrorists, which is really pretty ridiculous. So yeah, I think things are indeed different now, and I definitely think that difference has a lot to do with the whole populist surge that's happening in many countries right now, and not so much on people simply picking sides like they always do, which is on its own certainly true as well... In short... everyone is just acting a lot crazier than they did before Trump came along, and before Brexit, etc.
    Yeah, yeah........ but on to the important news of the day!

Any opinion on the Canadian men's Olympic hockey team? ;)
    It's actually better than I thought it would be.
    Would you trade in all those gold medals for a 94 canucks Stanley cup win?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Personally I don’t see any of the online “criticisms” of Trudeau being any different from the vitriol spewed at Harper. It’s all just a matter of which side of the fence you sit on. Perhaps the fact there’s a “fence” at all is half the problem, we’re all too entrenched in our own views.

While I’ve (obviously?) never been a fan of our current PM, I’m still hoping he’ll do something to win me over, but he keeps digging himself deeper holes.

Is it perhaps telling that there’s been zero mention in this thread (what better place, after all?) about Dawson’s ethics findings against Trudeau? And saying Harper was as bad or worse is nonsense, I’m sorry. It was Trudeau’s Liberals that campaigned on being so different from the previous government, yet seemingly can’t/won’t walk the walk after talking the talk.
    I know what you're getting at, but I actually do notice a difference. With Harper, people were pissed off and hated them, but they tended to hate him for real shit. But now I'm seeing that the great majority of the hate is based on silly bullshit. Like, I don't know how many time I read about how Trudeau was a drama teacher and how that makes him unqualified. Well, this is just garbage. For one, he taught more than drama. Also, talk about undervaluing teaching, holy. But most importantly, it completely dismisses the fact that Trudeau was already an elected politician for a fair bit of time before he even ran for leadership, and the fact that he was actually every bit as qualified as Harper was when he was first elected. Yet I never once saw the people who hated his guts go off about how unqualified he was, because he wasn't, just like Trudeau isn't. And then as HFD said, much of the vitriol is just bullcrap based in racism and not distinguishing between reality and fact. The Kadr thing is a great example. Trudeau has always been very clear about why the settlement was made. It is logical and based on the Charter of Rights, not his personal opinions. Yet people keep blabbing about how he embraces terrorists, which is really pretty ridiculous. So yeah, I think things are indeed different now, and I definitely think that difference has a lot to do with the whole populist surge that's happening in many countries right now, and not so much on people simply picking sides like they always do, which is on its own certainly true as well... In short... everyone is just acting a lot crazier than they did before Trump came along, and before Brexit, etc.
    Yeah, yeah........ but on to the important news of the day!

Any opinion on the Canadian men's Olympic hockey team? ;)
    It's actually better than I thought it would be.
    Would you trade in all those gold medals for a 94 canucks Stanley cup win?
    In a heartbeat.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    It's not often canadian news breaks the headlines down in the states.  yikes. (I believe this was in winnipeg)
    I know this isn't politics per say but my question is: what happens to the cop in canada?  is he instantly fired and imprisoned?  lengthy investigation? suspended with/without pay?  is the cop always right?  
    http://politicalblindspot.info/2018/01/06/cop-beats-mother-pounds-face-table-front-8-yr-old-child/

An 8-yr-old son was terrified after watching a cop bludgeon his mother with a baton and then ram her face into a table, according to a report by the Raw Story.

It began when Lana Sinclair was sitting at home with her child at night. Someone in the neighborhood apparently called the police because they heard “yelling” from outside.Police knocked on Lana’s front door and told her that they were there to investigate her home because they had received reports of “yelling”.
    One of the officers began speaking with Lana and the other officer went off alone with her child.

Lana had a seat in her kitchen chair as the officer insisted on investigating.

Lana didn’t know why she needed to be investigated, and that’s when the officer poked her with his finger.

The poke caused Lana to instinctively stand up out of her chair and tell the officer to not touch her.

“He came up to me and poked me”, said Lana.

“I was sitting on a chair in the kitchen and I jumped up and said you don’t need to touch me”, she added.
    In response, the officer pulled out his baton and began striking her with it.

Her little boy watched as the cop beat her, frightened.
    As if that wasn’t enough, the cop then placed his arm around Lana and pounded her face down into her sewing table.

“He had my arm behind me and he smashed my face right here”, Lana said as she pointed down at the table.

The officer then handcuffed her and stood her up, but once she was up, he kicked her feet out from under her, causing her to fall down and drive her head into the floor face-first.

“We [my son and I] were both traumatized”, Lana said.

“I just hug him and kiss him and tell him it’s okay”.

“All I was thinking of was his safety, and how he was going to be traumatized and how he is going to see the police now”.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    mcgruff10 said:
    It's not often canadian news breaks the headlines down in the states.  yikes. (I believe this was in winnipeg)
    I know this isn't politics per say but my question is: what happens to the cop in canada?  is he instantly fired and imprisoned?  lengthy investigation? suspended with/without pay?  is the cop always right?  
    http://politicalblindspot.info/2018/01/06/cop-beats-mother-pounds-face-table-front-8-yr-old-child/

An 8-yr-old son was terrified after watching a cop bludgeon his mother with a baton and then ram her face into a table, according to a report by the Raw Story.

It began when Lana Sinclair was sitting at home with her child at night. Someone in the neighborhood apparently called the police because they heard “yelling” from outside.Police knocked on Lana’s front door and told her that they were there to investigate her home because they had received reports of “yelling”.
    One of the officers began speaking with Lana and the other officer went off alone with her child.

Lana had a seat in her kitchen chair as the officer insisted on investigating.

Lana didn’t know why she needed to be investigated, and that’s when the officer poked her with his finger.

The poke caused Lana to instinctively stand up out of her chair and tell the officer to not touch her.

“He came up to me and poked me”, said Lana.

“I was sitting on a chair in the kitchen and I jumped up and said you don’t need to touch me”, she added.
    In response, the officer pulled out his baton and began striking her with it.

Her little boy watched as the cop beat her, frightened.
    As if that wasn’t enough, the cop then placed his arm around Lana and pounded her face down into her sewing table.

“He had my arm behind me and he smashed my face right here”, Lana said as she pointed down at the table.

The officer then handcuffed her and stood her up, but once she was up, he kicked her feet out from under her, causing her to fall down and drive her head into the floor face-first.

“We [my son and I] were both traumatized”, Lana said.

“I just hug him and kiss him and tell him it’s okay”.

“All I was thinking of was his safety, and how he was going to be traumatized and how he is going to see the police now”.

he will most likely be suspended with pay pending investigation. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah, I think it's about the same as it is in the USA. Innocent until proven guilty, so as HFD said, they're usually suspended with pay until there is a full internal investigation and/or trial/court ruling, since anything else would cause them legal problems.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Good news.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/charter-solitary-confinement-bc-ruling-1.4491526?cid=

Indefinite solitary confinement in Canadian prisons ruled unconstitutional by B.C. court

B.C. Civil Liberties Association had challenged federal government on 'inhuman' practice

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has ruled that the practice of indefinite solitary confinement in Canadian prisons is unconstitutional. 

In a lengthy ruling released Wednesday, Justice Peter Leask found that the laws surrounding segregation in prison discriminate against Aboriginal and mentally ill inmates.

He also found that the existing rules create a situation in which a warden becomes judge and jury in terms of deciding whether prolonged or even indefinite segregation is needed.

"I find as a fact that administrative segregation … is a form of solitary confinement that places all Canadian inmates subject to it at significant risk of serious psychological harm, including mental pain and suffering, and increased incidence of self-harm and suicide," Leask wrote.

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA) and the John Howard Society of Canada (JHSC) brought the challenge against the federal government, arguing that rules regarding administrative segregation, more commonly known as solitary confinement, are inhuman and unconstitutional.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    A small program but a really important one, and good news for everybody involved.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/ex-foster-kids-in-b-c-flock-to-college-after-tuition-fees-waived-1.23149023

The number of ex-foster kids getting a free education at B.C. colleges and universities jumped 20 per cent after the NDP government waived tuition fees last fall, statistics show.

A total of 229 ex-foster kids received tuition waivers from September to December compared with 189 for the entire 2016-17 school year, the government said.

The province has spent $443,000 on the program to date to cover tuition and mandatory fees at 17 post-secondary schools.

Advanced Education Minister Melanie Mark said she’s “thrilled” to see so many students taking advantage of the new program.

“When we created the policy, they said: ‘What’s going to be the measure of success? What’s success going to look like?’ And I said: ‘One. If one more student goes to post-secondary, that’s a victory.’

“So we’ve got an increase of 20 per cent.”

Mark said the government is looking at ways to boost “wrap-around” supports for the students, who are enrolled in a range of programs from nursing and pre-medical studies to trades, business and graphics design.

“We’ll certainly be enhancing where needed, but we’re still listening,” she said. “It’s still a new policy and it’s too premature, I believe, to make any rash changes.”

Premier John Horgan announced in September that his government was waiving tuition fees for former youth in care at all 26 post-secondary schools in the province.

The move expanded on programs already in place at 11 colleges and universities.

The government said the enrolment increases were mainly at schools, such as Camosun College, that previously lacked a comprehensive tuition waiver program. Camosun now has 31 former youth in care taking courses.

Joan Yates, Camosun’s vice-president of student experience, said the college was pleasantly surprised by the increase.

“We’re huge believers that education is an incredibly important tool for people in terms of rebuilding or building their lives and futures,” she said. “This just fits absolutely beautifully with our mandate, so we’re pretty happy about it.”

Vancouver Island University, which was the first school to offer tuition waivers in 2013, continues to lead other institutions with 85 students attending for free this year, up from 65 last year.

The school itself covers the costs for about 35 per cent of those students, because they failed to meet the province’s requirement that applicants be under 27 years of age and have spent at least 24 months in care.

“We don’t have an age cap on it and we say that to qualify [students] need to be in care for a minimum of 12 months,” said William Litchfield, associate vice-president of university relations.

He added that VIU supports the students by investing in counselling and financial aid programs, and raises additional money across the country to help them with child care, housing, transportation and books.

Litchfield said VIU believes its role is to make sure all the kids in its community have an opportunity to attend a post-secondary school and find a good job.

“This is one of our favourite programs,” he said. “These are students that have gone on to win academic achievements and they’re doing absolutely fantastic, but for the most part they weren’t being given the chance they need to shine.”

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    Good news.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/charter-solitary-confinement-bc-ruling-1.4491526?cid=

Indefinite solitary confinement in Canadian prisons ruled unconstitutional by B.C. court

B.C. Civil Liberties Association had challenged federal government on 'inhuman' practice

A B.C. Supreme Court judge has ruled that the practice of indefinite solitary confinement in Canadian prisons is unconstitutional. 

In a lengthy ruling released Wednesday, Justice Peter Leask found that the laws surrounding segregation in prison discriminate against Aboriginal and mentally ill inmates.

He also found that the existing rules create a situation in which a warden becomes judge and jury in terms of deciding whether prolonged or even indefinite segregation is needed.

"I find as a fact that administrative segregation … is a form of solitary confinement that places all Canadian inmates subject to it at significant risk of serious psychological harm, including mental pain and suffering, and increased incidence of self-harm and suicide," Leask wrote.

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association (BCCLA) and the John Howard Society of Canada (JHSC) brought the challenge against the federal government, arguing that rules regarding administrative segregation, more commonly known as solitary confinement, are inhuman and unconstitutional.

Yes, an important decision, and I'm looking forward to the response from the AG. I wonder if the ruling defined "indefinite"? I wouldn't want them to simply replace "indefinite" with "a really long time". It is a challenging area, because the behaviours that some inmates present are really difficult to deal with and the Corrections staff don't necessarily have the training, mindset or interest in dealing with them. 
    A small program but a really important one, and good news for everybody involved.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/ex-foster-kids-in-b-c-flock-to-college-after-tuition-fees-waived-1.23149023

The number of ex-foster kids getting a free education at B.C. colleges and universities jumped 20 per cent after the NDP government waived tuition fees last fall, statistics show.

A total of 229 ex-foster kids received tuition waivers from September to December compared with 189 for the entire 2016-17 school year, the government said.

The province has spent $443,000 on the program to date to cover tuition and mandatory fees at 17 post-secondary schools.

Advanced Education Minister Melanie Mark said she’s “thrilled” to see so many students taking advantage of the new program.

“When we created the policy, they said: ‘What’s going to be the measure of success? What’s success going to look like?’ And I said: ‘One. If one more student goes to post-secondary, that’s a victory.’

“So we’ve got an increase of 20 per cent.”

Mark said the government is looking at ways to boost “wrap-around” supports for the students, who are enrolled in a range of programs from nursing and pre-medical studies to trades, business and graphics design.

“We’ll certainly be enhancing where needed, but we’re still listening,” she said. “It’s still a new policy and it’s too premature, I believe, to make any rash changes.”

Premier John Horgan announced in September that his government was waiving tuition fees for former youth in care at all 26 post-secondary schools in the province.

The move expanded on programs already in place at 11 colleges and universities.

The government said the enrolment increases were mainly at schools, such as Camosun College, that previously lacked a comprehensive tuition waiver program. Camosun now has 31 former youth in care taking courses.

Joan Yates, Camosun’s vice-president of student experience, said the college was pleasantly surprised by the increase.

“We’re huge believers that education is an incredibly important tool for people in terms of rebuilding or building their lives and futures,” she said. “This just fits absolutely beautifully with our mandate, so we’re pretty happy about it.”

Vancouver Island University, which was the first school to offer tuition waivers in 2013, continues to lead other institutions with 85 students attending for free this year, up from 65 last year.

The school itself covers the costs for about 35 per cent of those students, because they failed to meet the province’s requirement that applicants be under 27 years of age and have spent at least 24 months in care.

“We don’t have an age cap on it and we say that to qualify [students] need to be in care for a minimum of 12 months,” said William Litchfield, associate vice-president of university relations.

He added that VIU supports the students by investing in counselling and financial aid programs, and raises additional money across the country to help them with child care, housing, transportation and books.

Litchfield said VIU believes its role is to make sure all the kids in its community have an opportunity to attend a post-secondary school and find a good job.

“This is one of our favourite programs,” he said. “These are students that have gone on to win academic achievements and they’re doing absolutely fantastic, but for the most part they weren’t being given the chance they need to shine.”

That's awesome!
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    patrick brown and jaimie baillie go down ...

i think the tories here in ontario can survive this pretty easily ... the hate on for wynne is quite deep and horwath won't be able to capitalize ...
    https://www.thestar.com/business/2018/01/26/us-international-trade-commission-votes-in-favour-of-bombardier.html

That is good news - the right decision for sure..... Plus it makes Trump look like a fucking idiot, which is always kind of satisfying. Boeing is just being a big asshole IMHO.

U.S. International Trade Commission unanimously votes in favour of Bombardier

Commissioners voted 4-0 that Boeing didn’t suffer harm from prospective imports of C Series planes.

Todays decision is a victory for innovation competition and the rule of law the Montreal-based manufacturer said The decision eliminated nearly 300 per cent in duties on its C Series commercial jet
    “Today’s decision is a victory for innovation, competition, and the rule of law,” the Montreal-based manufacturer said. The decision eliminated nearly 300 per cent in duties on its C Series commercial jet.  (Nathan Denette / THE CANADIAN PRESS file photo)  
    By Ross MarowitsThe Canadian Press
    Fri., Jan. 26, 2018

MONTREAL—Bombardier Inc. won a resounding victory Friday when the U.S. International Trade Commission eliminated nearly 300 per cent in duties on its C Series commercial jet by unanimously voting against a petition filed by Boeing Co.

Commissioners voted 4-0 that Boeing didn’t suffer harm from prospective imports of C Series planes.

“Today’s decision is a victory for innovation, competition, and the rule of law,” the Montreal-based manufacturer said in a news release moments after the vote was announced.

The decision was a surprise for some observers who expected the commission would side with Boeing even though they believed the company sustained no harm. Even one government official said it wouldn’t be surprised by a loss.

The decision caused Bombardier’s stock to shoot up to its highest level in three years. Shares gained nearly 15 per cent to $3.52 after the ruling.

Bombardier also called it a victory for U.S. airlines and the American travelling public.

“With this matter behind us, we are moving full speed ahead with finalizing our partnership with Airbus,” it added.

Chicago-based Boeing said it is disappointed by the decision but will review the commission’s detailed opinions when they are released in the coming days.

“We are disappointed that the International Trade Commission did not recognize the harm that Boeing has suffered from the billions of dollars in illegal government subsidies that the Department of Commerce found Bombardier received and used to dump aircraft in the U.S. small single-aisle airplane market,” it said in a statement.

“Those violations have harmed the U.S. aerospace industry, and we are feeling the effects of those unfair business practices in the market every day.”

Boeing said it will continue to document any harm to Boeing from illegal subsidies and dumping pricing.

“We will not stand by as Bombardier’s illegal business practices continue to harm American workers and the aerospace industry they support. Global trade only works if everyone adheres to the rules we have all agreed to. That’s a belief we will continue to defend.”

Boeing launched the trade case last April, arguing that governments in Canada and Britain subsidized the plane’s development and allowed Bombardier to sell it at unfairly low prices.

Trudeau was in my neck of the woods yesterday. Well, two hours away. I didn’t go, but I understand it was lively and wide ranging. 

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/jack-knox-trudeau-stands-up-to-tough-crowd-in-nanaimo-1.23163682

This article didn't didn’t mention it, but another article I read said that one of the hecklers yelled that they “don’t respect anyone in this room”. Not a great way to win the audience to your cause. 
  • Trudeau is losing me. He's kind of bound to bring terrorist voyeur, Jack Letts (an ISIS operative), from a Turkish prison cell to Canada. If this happens I'm done with the guy.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsvideo/suspected-isis-operative-wants-to-come-to-canada/vi-BBIUhBp?refvid=BBIUcHC&ocid=edgsp

Letts has never lived in Canada, but his father is a Canadian living in Britain (a country who wants no part of him). In fairness, Letts is sorry and he's really tired of the cell he's residing in. He also promises to be a better person too.

Oh... his 'peoplekind' comment was one of the goofiest things I've ever heard.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    edited February 2018
    Trudeau is losing me. He's kind of bound to bring terrorist voyeur, Jack Letts (an ISIS operative), from a Turkish prison cell to Canada. If this happens I'm done with the guy.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newsvideo/suspected-isis-operative-wants-to-come-to-canada/vi-BBIUhBp?refvid=BBIUcHC&ocid=edgsp

Letts has never lived in Canada, but his father is a Canadian living in Britain (a country who wants no part of him). In fairness, Letts is sorry and he's really tired of the cell he's residing in. He also promises to be a better person too.

I think the peoplekind thing must have been a joke... Either that, or Trudeau had a brain fart and forgot that the word humankind exists. :lol: I actually don't like the term mankind either, and I don't use it. Humankind is a great word. But at the end of the day, omg, nothing could be less important than that. Talk about a pointless thing to consider. If anyone is taking that peoplekind thing as a reason to not like Trudeau or use it as some kind of ammunition, then they are WAY too biased.

Me, I'm most concerned about his support of the Kinder Morgan pipeline project, although I knew he supported it when I voted for him. I never expected to be happy with everything Trudeau did - I voted knowing that I wouldn't be. And that is okay. I don't think it will ever be any other way, no matter who I vote for. Still, I sure do wish he wasn't so into the oil.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    PJ_Soul said:
    Trudeau is losing me. He's kind of bound to bring terrorist voyeur, Jack Letts (an ISIS operative), from a Turkish prison cell to Canada. If this happens I'm done with the guy.

I think the peoplekind thing must have been a joke... Either that, or Trudeau had a brain fart and forgot that the word humankind exists. :lol: I actually don't like the term mankind either, and I don't use it. Humankind is a great word. But at the end of the day, omg, nothing could be less important than that. Talk about a pointless thing to consider. If anyone is taking that peoplekind thing as a reason to not like Trudeau or use it as some kind of ammunition, then they are WAY too biased.

Me, I'm most concerned about his support of the Kinder Morgan pipeline project, although I knew he supported it when I voted for him. I never expected to be happy with everything Trudeau did - I voted knowing that I wouldn't be. And that is okay. I don't think it will ever be any other way, no matter who I vote for. Still, I sure do wish he wasn't so into the oil.

The "peoplekind" comment was a lame joke, along the lines of most "dad jokes". The appropriate response is to just roll your eyes. 
  • PJ_Soul said:

The "peoplekind" comment was a lame joke, along the lines of most "dad jokes". The appropriate response is to just roll your eyes. 
    I never had much context. I hope you're right. But even then... what's the humour?
    edited February 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Even that seems a bit harsh to me. I think the appropriate response is to chuckle politely, lol. At least that's how I always respond to lame dad jokes, lol. I don't wanna be hurting the feelings of dads just because their joke isn't funny, haha. Although in this case I think it was kinda funny, just because it really triggered a lot of sexists. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Where are people at with the Colten Boushie trial and verdict?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/gerald-stanley-colten-boushie-verdict-1.4526313

Some people are saying this is a race issue. I don't think it is. When you live on an isolated farm and intruders invade your domain- trying to steal multiple vehicles and creating chaos- I don't think you are noting the color of their skin when you attempt to defend what is yours.

The fatal shot could be debated, but in all honesty... this was an intense situation on an isolated farm with nobody but themselves to assist them. Things could have gone very badly for the Stanleys. They never went looking for this trouble- they were forced to deal with it.

I guess I'm surprised at the response. And I guess I'm not. Despite not sitting in on the jury trial... Trudeau has already publically expressed a veiled disappointment for the verdict. He's still losing me.
    I actually know next to nothing about the Colten Boushie trial. I had never even heard of it before the verdict. It didn't seem to be on the radar on my local news until now. Therefore, I really can't speak to whether or not the verdict is justified. I don't know the details of the trial. I hope very much that the jury had a good reason to acquit. A lot of people are acting like they didn't... but that doesn't mean it's so.
    I hadn't heard about it either until it exploded on Twitter when the verdict came down (I don't generally consume news anymore except from stuff here and things I come across on social media). Everything I've read so far points to at least a conviction of some sort. Every expert witness testified that the gun did not malfunction; Stanley said that it did. I don't know the ins and outs of knowing for certain how a gun operated when you weren't there to see it happen or even holding it yourself. Can a gun not malfunction on one use and then function perfectly on the next? or would a malfunction leave some sort of verifiable forensic trace? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Where are people at with the Colten Boushie trial and verdict?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/gerald-stanley-colten-boushie-verdict-1.4526313

Some people are saying this is a race issue. I don't think it is. When you live on an isolated farm and intruders invade your domain- trying to steal multiple vehicles and creating chaos- I don't think you are noting the color of their skin when you attempt to defend what is yours.

The fatal shot could be debated, but in all honesty... this was an intense situation on an isolated farm with nobody but themselves to assist them. Things could have gone very badly for the Stanleys. They never went looking for this trouble- they were forced to deal with it.

I guess I'm surprised at the response. And I guess I'm not. Despite not sitting in on the jury trial... Trudeau has already publically expressed a veiled disappointment for the verdict. He's still losing me.
    anytime a visible minority is gunned down by a white man, you should NEVER be surprised at the response. 

I'm kinda with you on your first paragraph, though. In the heat of the moment, is it possible Stanley feared for his life? Absolutely. is it possible he feared for his life because of the perps' race? Also absolutely. if it was indeed an intentional shot, would he have shot a white kid in the head? Impossible to know. 

reasonable doubt. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

part of his mandate in office is recociliation. whether he believes the shooting to be justified or not, his hands are tied politically. if he expresses that the verdict was just, then he loses all of his reconciliation capital. it's a tough spot to be in. I can't say I blame him for that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    I actually know next to nothing about the Colten Boushie trial. I had never even heard of it before the verdict. It didn't seem to be on the radar on my local news until now. Therefore, I really can't speak to whether or not the verdict is justified. I don't know the details of the trial. I hope very much that the jury had a good reason to acquit. A lot of people are acting like they didn't... but that doesn't mean it's so.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/what-happened-stanley-farm-boushie-shot-witnesses-colten-gerald-1.4520214
  • Pretty impressed with Rachel Notley's recent performance.  The BC  government 's unconstitutional actions against an approved pipeline cannot be tolerated. 
    Government's cannot simply drag out decisions with the hope investors will simply back out.  This is no way to run a country. If you don't think it's unconstitutional, just look up Section 121 of the Constituion Act of 1867

121. All Articles of the Growth, Produce, or Manufacture of any one of the Provinces shall, from and after the Union, be admitted free into each of the other Provinces.

• Where are people at with the Colten Boushie trial and verdict?

With two friends who were first stationed in this area for their RCMP stint and the stories they tell me, this is common place. It wouldn't matter if it was a car full of white, Chinese, black, native, whatever. Read what the drunk youths were doing on this guys isolated farm and tell me you would not retrieved a weapon to protect yourself?

But....the guy should have got manslaughter thrown at him for sure.

Need to fix the problem on the rez and it is not going to happen with more free money from the government.

The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

With two friends who were first stationed in this area for their RCMP stint and the stories they tell me, this is common place. It wouldn't matter if it was a car full of white, Chinese, black, native, whatever. Read what the drunk youths were doing on this guys isolated farm and tell me you would not retrieved a weapon to protect yourself?

But....the guy should have got manslaughter thrown at him for sure.

Need to fix the problem on the rez and it is not going to happen with more free money from the government.

100% agree on your last two senteneces. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I'm not so sure about the manslaughter charge needing to stick.

Many are depicting the scene as an innocent one where those youths stumbled on to Stanley's property with no harm intended- this simply isn't true.

It was chaos at the farmstead. Aside from the attempted theft of the vehicles... Stanley's wife had been physically assaulted. Boushie had a rifle on him. The youths' testimonies were fraught with lies.

We can't expect the guy to act with ice in his veins as madness is ensuing around him and with no assistance from anyone. He says there was an accidental discharge of the handgun. If he wanted to lie, he could easily have made up a lie involving Boushie and the rifle (there was a bullet in the chamber).
    edited February 2018
    I'm not so sure about the manslaughter charge needing to stick.

Many are depicting the scene as an innocent one where those youths stumbled on to Stanley's property with no harm intended- this simply isn't true.

It was chaos at the farmstead. Aside from the attempted theft of the vehicles... Stanley's wife had been physically assaulted. Boushie had a rifle on him. The youths' testimonies were fraught with lies.

We can't expect the guy to act with ice in his veins as madness is ensuing around him and with no assistance from anyone. He says there was an accidental discharge of the handgun. If he wanted to lie, he could easily have made up a lie involving Boushie and the rifle (there was a bullet in the chamber).
    actually, nothing I have seen has depicted the scene as an innocent one. everyone is well aware of what they were there to do. the question is, was lethal force necessary? and shooting someone in the head is difficult to do unless it is intentional and at close range. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Twitter features many people that seem to have not fully understood the full gravity of the situation.

They were in very close proximity- Stanley was in the driver's side window of the SUV trying to grab the keys as Bouchie resisted his efforts.

It's questionable for sure, but in my mind... he gets the benefit of the doubt given his role in the entire mess.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I'm not so sure about the manslaughter charge needing to stick.

You need to read that CBC article I posted, because you don't have your facts straight.