2017/18 NBA Thread

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    dankind said:
    ed243421 said:

Wow, three 76ers on Larry?

The absolute low point of Dr. J's career, taking cheap shots at Bird while he's being held by 2 players.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • 23scidoo said:
    If this does happen I will get rid of all my LBJ things and not root for him ever again.

Seriously.
  • 23scidoo said:
    If this does happen I will get rid of all my LBJ things and not root for him ever again.

Seriously.
    I will most likely stop watching the NBA too!
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited February 2018
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.
    I get where you're coming from, but he'll be a Free Agent. So, where he wants to go is up to him.

I won't be crazy about it as a fan, but i'm not gonna stop watching one of the greatest to play the game if he winds up with the GSW.
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.
    I get where you're coming from, but he'll be a Free Agent. So, where he wants to go is up to him.

I won't be crazy about it as a fan, but i'm not gonna stop watching one of the greatest to play the game if he winds up with the GSW.

I agree. I think it would be a bad move for his legacy, but it would be a fun team to watch. I never got the KD hate for his move. He left a team where he obviously didn't enjoy playing with Westbrook to go to team that would offer the best chance of winning and also enjoying basketball.

I've been watching the NBA for 35+ years closely and whilst I did prefer when superstars stayed with their team and there was many rivalries, this is a new time and what KD did is not too dissimilar from what LBJ did in going to the Heat. Teams choose to trade players all the time and the majority have no say in it, so when an opportunity comes up for a player to have his choice, go for it.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,413
    Freak loves the Knicks!!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

I agree. I think it would be a bad move for his legacy, but it would be a fun team to watch. I never got the KD hate for his move. He left a team where he obviously didn't enjoy playing with Westbrook to go to team that would offer the best chance of winning and also enjoying basketball.

I've been watching the NBA for 35+ years closely and whilst I did prefer when superstars stayed with their team and there was many rivalries, this is a new time and what KD did is not too dissimilar from what LBJ did in going to the Heat. Teams choose to trade players all the time and the majority have no say in it, so when an opportunity comes up for a player to have his choice, go for it.

It's a wee bit different than what LBJ did. He went to an unproven team where KD went to a championship team. 

The GS Warriors are a super team and aren't going to be beaten any time soon. Add LBJ to that and it'll be the globetrotter vs everyone else. It'll be fun to see once but not multiple times. 

This would also also be the insane running the asylum. 

My love for LBJ is starting to wear thin now...
    Great Greens!!!!!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

It's a wee bit different than what LBJ did. He went to an unproven team where KD went to a championship team. 

The GS Warriors are a super team and aren't going to be beaten any time soon. Add LBJ to that and it'll be the globetrotter vs everyone else. It'll be fun to see once but not multiple times. 

Its was only different because the team wasn't assembled. He went to a team that had Wade and then bought in Bosh. I don't see that much difference.
    I'm not a LBJ hater, but he is screwing over the Cavs. He forced their hand to sign TT to that ridiculous contract and also JR Smith and now he is living with those signings. He bought a very old (body wise) Wade to the team too, when everyone but Wade knew he was done after last year in Chicago. Cavs just played the worst game of basketball I've seen in a long time against the Rockets. IT is nowhere near to player he was in Boston and his defence is still atrocious. The nicest thing he could do for the Cavs would be to remove his no rade clause and try and let them get something for him to rebuild with, but he won't do that as no team that has a hope of signing him next season will give up anything in a trade to the Cavs, unless they need to offload money.

• No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

Its was only different because the team wasn't assembled. He went to a team that had Wade and then bought in Bosh. I don't see that much difference.
    I'm not a LBJ hater, but he is screwing over the Cavs. He forced their hand to sign TT to that ridiculous contract and also JR Smith and now he is living with those signings. He bought a very old (body wise) Wade to the team too, when everyone but Wade knew he was done after last year in Chicago. Cavs just played the worst game of basketball I've seen in a long time against the Rockets. IT is nowhere near to player he was in Boston and his defence is still atrocious. The nicest thing he could do for the Cavs would be to remove his no rade clause and try and let them get something for him to rebuild with, but he won't do that as no team that has a hope of signing him next season will give up anything in a trade to the Cavs, unless they need to offload money.
    That team wasn't a proven winner where the GS Warriors were already. It's not even in the same breath.

Lebron IS holding the Cavs hostage though.  I'd agree with you on that.  Not sure why the cavs front office let's him continue to do what he does...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I really don't want to see Cavs/Warriors IV and I really don't want to see Lebron in the Finals.

Two new teams, please.  Pelicans/Bucks would be awesome. 

I don't think Lebron will go to Golden State.  ESPN fabricated that rumor themselves then blew it up for ratings, because ESPN fucking sucks.
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

That team wasn't a proven winner where the GS Warriors were already. It's not even in the same breath.

Lebron IS holding the Cavs hostage though.  I'd agree with you on that.  Not sure why the cavs front office let's him continue to do what he does...
    I can certainly see the difference and will agree that KD's move was worse, but LBJ's "Decision" and team up with his mates was still bad.

The way LBJ is controlling the front office (and been doing since his return) will tarnish his legend when he ups and leaves this offseason. I just hope other teams don't do the Cavs any favours with stupid trades. I have not doubt some teams will take some of their crap contracts, but hopefully they don't take these without draft picks tied to them. The Cavs really don't have anyone on their team that other teams would be chasing, with the exception of K Love, as I doubt there would be many teams still in love with IT, knowing that he expects to be paid big $$ in the offseason.

No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

I can certainly see the difference and will agree that KD's move was worse, but LBJ's "Decision" and team up with his mates was still bad.

The way LBJ is controlling the front office (and been doing since his return) will tarnish his legend when he ups and leaves this offseason. I just hope other teams don't do the Cavs any favours with stupid trades. I have not doubt some teams will take some of their crap contracts, but hopefully they don't take these without draft picks tied to them. The Cavs really don't have anyone on their team that other teams would be chasing, with the exception of K Love, as I doubt there would be many teams still in love with IT, knowing that he expects to be paid big $$ in the offseason.
    KD and LBJ were FREE  AGENTS. They can, and did, sign with what team/s they wanted to. Neither decision was bad. Hell, they won Championships. Smart moves by them.

LBJ legend will never be tarnished as he will be considered one of the best to play the game, regardless if one believes he has/had complete control of team moves. AKA: the GM>(Tabloid sports reporting>LOL)

cutz said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

KD and LBJ were FREE  AGENTS. They can, and did, sign with what team/s they wanted to. Neither decision was bad. Hell, they won Championships. Smart moves by them.

LBJ legend will never be tarnished as he will be considered one of the best to play the game, regardless if one believes he has/had complete control of team moves. AKA: the GM>(Tabloid sports reporting>LOL)

Certainly not doubting his status as one of the all time greats and he also has been brilliant off the court with the community, but the one thing that can be a knock on him is his demands placed behind the scenes on management of his team. He has meddled with team mates contracts and who to draft on multiple occasions and for the most part, those moves have not been great.

No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    No Coder said:
    cutz said:
    23scidoo said:

Seriously.

Certainly not doubting his status as one of the all time greats and he also has been brilliant off the court with the community, but the one thing that can be a knock on him is his demands placed behind the scenes on management of his team. He has meddled with team mates contracts and who to draft on multiple occasions and for the most part, those moves have not been great.
    But, no one knows for sure that LeBron is the""GM".  It's pure speculation by the Tabloid Sports reporters. 

Yet, he has made 8 Finals(7 in a row with 3 Championships), so "GM" LBJ must've made some great moves>LOL
    No one knows for sure that he is not making the moves, and some of the reports on this are not from Tabloid reporters, but respected longtime NBA journalists (Not Brian Windhurst)
    Yes, he's made a heap of Finals appearances, all from the East, where there has been woeful depth for the past 5+ years. Again not doubting his ability, he's the best player of his generation, but there's not a chance he makes that many finals out the West with that team.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    I really don't want to see Cavs/Warriors IV and I really don't want to see Lebron in the Finals.

Two new teams, please.  Pelicans/Bucks would be awesome. 

good match-up but would be bad for ratings and NBA probably.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Porzingis is out with a torn ACL.

He's not a friggin unicorn.  I'm over him.

The cavs just stink.  Something is really really wrong there.  Are they not practicing together?  WTF?!?

Lebron has now cursed most of his picks for the allstar team with injuries...
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    The Porzingis news sucks. I'm not a Knicks fan but I am an NBA fan. Hate seeing anyone go down like that.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • NBA observations as we approach the All Star break...

1. Warriors are not unbeatable like so many thought. Their effort on a nightly basis is not good, they're forming bad habits that aren't easy to just break come playoff time. Their bench is not even average.

2. Houston is a legit title contender, Harden and CP3 have figured out how to coexist and will only get better. I still worry about CP3 staying healthy thru a long playoff run though.

3. OKC can challenge GS and HOU despite having lousy depth. Westbrook is playing better than last year and Paul George is a top 10 player.

4. Toronto or Boston will likely represent the East. Yes LeBron's run of consecutive NBA Finals will end, Cavs are a mess and with him having one foot out the door things will only get worse.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• 23scidoo said:
    Kobe said to Magic Johnson on first meeting him "I can out jump you!"

Magic calmly replied "I can out win you."            

23scidoo said:
    Kobe said to Magic Johnson on first meeting him "I can out jump you!"

Magic calmly replied "I can out win you."            

But Freak jump and win!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

NBA observations as we approach the All Star break...

1. Warriors are not unbeatable like so many thought. Their effort on a nightly basis is not good, they're forming bad habits that aren't easy to just break come playoff time. Their bench is not even average.

2. Houston is a legit title contender, Harden and CP3 have figured out how to coexist and will only get better. I still worry about CP3 staying healthy thru a long playoff run though.

3. OKC can challenge GS and HOU despite having lousy depth. Westbrook is playing better than last year and Paul George is a top 10 player.

4. Toronto or Boston will likely represent the East. Yes LeBron's run of consecutive NBA Finals will end, Cavs are a mess and with him having one foot out the door things will only get worse.

Totally agree on Houston, D'antonio has got them playing great ball and I can't stand them. CP3 staying healthy is a major concern though.

Warriors are missing a contributing legitimate big man. Zaza is not good and with Jordan Bell out, they have been rotating Zaza, McGee and Looney in there. If Bell can come back soon, he will help and they will still go well in any seven game series.

I cannot see OKC going deep in the playoffs. Russ is being Russ, but his shot selection is the worst of any superstar and his shooting percentages show that this season. PG has really turned it up in the last month.

Unless some team gives the Cavs a gift before the trade deadline, they are DONE and yes, Boston /Toronto are the teams in the East.

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    JAZZ are playing great. 

the trade deadline presents a dilemma.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    JAZZ are playing great. 

the trade deadline presents a dilemma.
    Rubio has been fantastic over the last few games and Jingling Joe has been shooting the lights out

• No Coder said:

NBA observations as we approach the All Star break...

Totally agree on Houston, D'antonio has got them playing great ball and I can't stand them. CP3 staying healthy is a major concern though.

Warriors are missing a contributing legitimate big man. Zaza is not good and with Jordan Bell out, they have been rotating Zaza, McGee and Looney in there. If Bell can come back soon, he will help and they will still go well in any seven game series.

I cannot see OKC going deep in the playoffs. Russ is being Russ, but his shot selection is the worst of any superstar and his shooting percentages show that this season. PG has really turned it up in the last month.

Unless some team gives the Cavs a gift before the trade deadline, they are DONE and yes, Boston /Toronto are the teams in the East.
    I agree with most of this except Toronto.  People have been "wanting" to hype up Toronto but they just can't click.  I'd pick the sixers over Toronto in a playoff match.

The Warriors may just be goofing right now and will turn it up during the playoffs though.  They've got that switch and they also know not to burn out during the regular season.

Houston is a delight to see gelling right now.

Cavs are done.  We can all agree on that.  What a damn mess that team has become.  I wish I knew why?  Love isn't playing with them now so there goes that scapegoat...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    James Harden is playing out of his mind right now.  It's crazy to think that him, Durant and Westbrook were on the same team but OKC was too cheap to keep them together.  Hopefully we get a Rockets-Warriors playoff series.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Lakers get Isaiah Thomas!!!! WOOT!!!! 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Lakers get Isaiah Thomas!!!! WOOT!!!! 
    R U shittin me?