The Official XFL Thread

igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
edited January 2018 in All Encompassing Trip
The XFL is possibly making a comeback. Announcement coming at 3 p.m. 2020 is the supposed start date
I miss igotid88
Post edited by igotid88 on

Comments

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    doomed
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    I loved the XFL.  The WLAF before it as well.  I hope they can find a way to keep an 'off season' football league going.  Will it be less than the NFL?  In most ways. 
    In some ways the XFL was more fun, at least for me.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I'm curious if this is something Trump will champion to his "base" as an alternative to the NFL. He and Vince are friendly and Linda McMahon serves in his administration.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    edited January 2018
    im curious to see the layout and goals...

but my guess is mcmahon intends to challenge the nfl and capitalize on all those peopke who are fake boycotting the nfl... in which case the league wont last more than 2 seasons.

the whole appetite for "non-wussy" football is gone.  we dont need to outlaw fair catches or mandate personal fouls.  with the advances in awareness of head injuries, and what this league will likely pay, they will get the worst of the worst. 

the nfl own many valuable brands that are reaching 100 years old, most over 50 years old.  they have a stranglehold on the consciousness in every major us city.  they have the infrastructure, training staff, medical staff, facilities, player pension/NFLPA, delivery vehicles, etc.  they will pay players and coaches the most.  literally impossible to compete.   Its possible that they snipe one or a few headline-grabbing players... but long term they won't be able to offer anything close to what the NFL does.

set it as a true minor league, position it in just a few markets in one region... keep things fair, reasonable, and safe,  maybe it stands a chance to grow into a farm system.
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Good points about some of the schtick McMahon brought to bear in the XFL.  I just want more football.  If the quality of play is between NFL and CFL/Arena I am fine with that.  Don't care where the teams are...hope there is a way to make this work. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Ehhhhhh.  Feels like the quality of play in the NFL keeps going down.  So many bad teams last year....only a handful of really good teams.  Can't imagine the quality of players/coaches would be any good in a lower tier league like this.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Ehhhhhh.  Feels like the quality of play in the NFL keeps going down.  So many bad teams last year....only a handful of really good teams.  Can't imagine the quality of players/coaches would be any good in a lower tier league like this.
    Yeah, it's bad enough when, out of 32 teams, only about 5 of them have a quarterback that's worth a fuck.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Yeah, it's bad enough when, out of 32 teams, only about 5 of them have a quarterback that's worth a fuck.
    depends on how the game is played. part of the problem with the NFL is the pace is too slow. speed that shit up like in the CFL. Yeah, yeah, 3 downs means more punting, but you make rules to circumvent the obvious boring nature that comes with that (fuck fair catches), and you have entertaining football. CFL teams have HALF the time to get ready for each play that NFL teams have. that is significant. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Smart to,push it to 2020. Allows them enough time to plan it thoroughly and not rush into a shit show. Hopefully it airs between February and March. This time of year is boring AF for me. Actually, being a Bears fan, November through March is pretty boring. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    "People don't want social and political issues coming into play when they are trying to be entertained," McMahon said. "We want someone who wants to take a knee to do their version of that on their personal time."
    "We are evaluating a player based on many things, including the quality of human being they are," McMahon said. If you have any sort of criminal record or commit a crime you aren't playing in this league."
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    depends on how the game is played. part of the problem with the NFL is the pace is too slow. speed that shit up like in the CFL. Yeah, yeah, 3 downs means more punting, but you make rules to circumvent the obvious boring nature that comes with that (fuck fair catches), and you have entertaining football. CFL teams have HALF the time to get ready for each play that NFL teams have. that is significant. 
    That's another big factor for me.  All the time spent watching absolutely nothing going on whatsoever. In a 3 hour NFL broadcast, you might see the ball actually in play for a combined 5 minutes of action.
    That's another big factor for me.  All the time spent watching absolutely nothing going on whatsoever. In a 3 hour NFL broadcast, you might see the ball actually in play for a combined 5 minutes of action.
    McMahon touched on that. He said that watching a 3+ hour game can be often laborious. I think he wants to speed up the game, but also possibly shorten it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Smart to,push it to 2020. Allows them enough time to plan it thoroughly and not rush into a shit show. Hopefully it airs between February and March. This time of year is boring AF for me. Actually, being a Bears fan, November through March is pretty boring. 
    he said starting January or Feb. smart to not wait till the spring. capitalize on the super bowl hangovers. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited January 2018
    One good thing is he wants to get the games in at about 2 hours.

The bad thing is everything else he said.  Him being the sole owner/investor is a bad idea.  Paying the players based on winning isnt a sustainable model.  Banning anyone with a criminal record probably eliminates like 25% of his talent pool.  Moving into "large markets" and trying to compete with the NFL out of the box is a bad idea.  Coming out and restricting potential players' right to voice their opinions is not good (for a league trying to attract talent).  His history of treatment of his entertainers tells me any football player worth a damn wont touch this.  

Starting a 'top tier' pro football league as the only investor with $100 million is a joke.  

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Will He Hate Me be playing?  Wonder if they'll keep the same teams?  I don't understand why they didn't have wrestling team names in the first season.  Could have had the Rocks, The Hitmen, The Stone Cold Stunners, etc...  Guess they could have the Shield or or something
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    If the NFL didn't allow players with criminal records. They won't have a league
    I miss igotid88
  • Nope, nope, nope...
    Will He Hate Me be playing?  Wonder if they'll keep the same teams?  I don't understand why they didn't have wrestling team names in the first season.  Could have had the Rocks, The Hitmen, The Stone Cold Stunners, etc...  Guess they could have the Shield or or something
    The Hitmen were the NY team
    I miss igotid88
    LOL. he said this time it will be a completely separate entity form WWE. And the team cities aren't even on their radar yet. I'm thinking 2 years away to start a league where you don't have a clue which cities you are eyeing, not to mention having to strike a deal with the NFL (your potential competition) to use their stadiums? Good luck. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

LOL. he said this time it will be a completely separate entity form WWE. And the team cities aren't even on their radar yet. I'm thinking 2 years away to start a league where you don't have a clue which cities you are eyeing, not to mention having to strike a deal with the NFL (your potential competition) to use their stadiums? Good luck. 
    with $100 million as the sole investor

The NFL can piss through $100 million in 10 seconds.  

Think about all the $ that is needed.  pay players, rent facilities, medical, training, front office staffs, production teams, marketing, etc...  
    $100 M is just the startup investment, is it not?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

igotid88 said:
    The Hitmen were the NY team
    they were?  i know there's a Calgary Hitmen (part-time owned by bret hart).  Still could have used other wrestling names IMO.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    2001 teams: Memphis Maniacs. Orlando Rage. Chicago Enforcers. New York/New Jersey Hitmen. Birmingham Thunderbolts. Los Angeles Xtreme. San Fancisco Demons. Las Vegas Outlaws. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

2001 teams: Memphis Maniacs. Orlando Rage. Chicago Enforcers. New York/New Jersey Hitmen. Birmingham Thunderbolts. Los Angeles Xtreme. San Fancisco Demons. Las Vegas Outlaws. 
    I do remember LA Xtreme winning the whole thing

Apparently Vince wants Johnny Football as the face of the XFL.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I do remember LA Xtreme winning the whole thing

Apparently Vince wants Johnny Football as the face of the XFL.
    He said no one with a criminal background
    I miss igotid88
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    No thanks. 
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • erebuserebus Posts: 549
    The 30 for 30 on the XFL was interesting. I believe the NFL even adopted some of the XFL's ideas
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto