Announcing 'The Home Shows'

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    ComeToTX said:

Ten Club continues to strive to get tickets straight into the hands of fans, and we've made arrangements to accommodate more fan club members than ever before.
    Ticket pre-sale information coming soon.

That's nice to read.

.... The people who were interested in the other rumoured venues but be feeling a bit left out right about now, lol. Hopefully their time comes soon!

I booked a hotel room right near Pike Place on Saturday morning, and I'm glad I did. My lord, hotel prices in Seattle during the high season are crazy. Comparable to NYC. I got a small but decent room for something like $300CAD/night at the Executive Hotel Pacific, and I'm finding that that is actually a very good deal. :tired_face: I'm a little jealous of those who got the cheaper Edgewater rooms. It is a bit pricier than what I got and a little farther away from Safeco, but the rooms are also a lot bigger and the amenities are better..... I should have just accepted the extra expense maybe, and booked one of those when I had the chance. The water view ones are just too expensive, and the city view (cheaper) ones are now all gone.
    For those of you looking to save some $$ on hotels for these shows, try Hotwire.  I booked a room for $150 a night, with fees, for Wed-Saturday.  The rooms near the venue were just out of our price range.  It's not a great hotel, but for the price, couldn't say no.
    If price is an issue also consider NOT staying directly downtown. Seattle isn't that big end to end. An uber/taxi isn't that bad from areas just outside of the downtown area. Light rail runs to the U district and to the airport/seatac. 
    Oh sure, the prices are way better outside of downtown. But for me, being right downtown and within close walking distance to everything is an absolute must. I'm a woman travelling alone so taking transit all over the place at night isn't appealing to me. I feel more comfortable having direct easy access to where I want to go.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Zod said:
    I pricelined on Friday when the dates leaked.  Best i could get was 215usd/night at the staypineapple Hotel Five.  They do charge a resort fee of 17ish a day so it was a bit misleading because thats more like 232 a night... but i couldnt find anywhere better.  

Generally the ones below this start to not have air condition.  You can book the moore, the hotel by the hospital, for cheaper but they dont have ac.  I stayed at the moore on a hot summer day once.  Couldnt sleep.  Might be good for heat people.

I had seen the inn at queen anne too but reviews were terrible.  Im fairly happy with the hotel five.  Its crazy how expensive seattle is in the summer.  In 2013 we got the olive8 hyatt for about 100 bucks. Lol.

I booked the Staypineapple Hotel Five last week as well, seemed to be in the area I was hoping and within my budget
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    I live in Bellingham and will likely stay at my brothers in Seattle for the shows. I can offer up my van to someone for cheap sleeping ;) 95 Plymouth voyager with no back seats! My road trip machine! 
  • Given2FlyGiven2Fly Seattle Posts: 167
    100 Pacer said:
    Would make sense for the Seattle shows to be spun off in a separate lottery.
    Only if people within a 200? mile radius of Seattle get first dibs on tickets. This is crazy talk.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,942
    PJ_Soul said:
    ComeToTX said:

Ten Club continues to strive to get tickets straight into the hands of fans, and we've made arrangements to accommodate more fan club members than ever before.

That's nice to read.

.... The people who were interested in the other rumoured venues but be feeling a bit left out right about now, lol. Hopefully their time comes soon!

I booked a hotel room right near Pike Place on Saturday morning, and I'm glad I did. My lord, hotel prices in Seattle during the high season are crazy. Comparable to NYC. I got a small but decent room for something like $300CAD/night at the Executive Hotel Pacific, and I'm finding that that is actually a very good deal. :tired_face: I'm a little jealous of those who got the cheaper Edgewater rooms. It is a bit pricier than what I got and a little farther away from Safeco, but the rooms are also a lot bigger and the amenities are better..... I should have just accepted the extra expense maybe, and booked one of those when I had the chance. The water view ones are just too expensive, and the city view (cheaper) ones are now all gone.
    For those of you looking to save some $$ on hotels for these shows, try Hotwire.  I booked a room for $150 a night, with fees, for Wed-Saturday.  The rooms near the venue were just out of our price range.  It's not a great hotel, but for the price, couldn't say no.
    If price is an issue also consider NOT staying directly downtown. Seattle isn't that big end to end. An uber/taxi isn't that bad from areas just outside of the downtown area. Light rail runs to the U district and to the airport/seatac. 
    We tried that in 2000.  We stayed in a cheaper hotel on aururo ave. which is north of downtown (on the other side of the i5 bridge).     We got stuck in traffic everyday trying to get downtown.  Ever since we just book a hotel downtown (which unfortunately is way more expensive in the summer than the winter).  It's so much less hassle.    Maybe it would be better to stay somewhere south of seattle instead of North though.  Never tried that.
    edited January 2018
    Given2Fly said:
    100 Pacer said:
    Would make sense for the Seattle shows to be spun off in a separate lottery.
    Only if people within a 200? mile radius of Seattle get first dibs on tickets. This is crazy talk.
    Absolutely.  The only reason to hold is a separate lottery, is so people who already have tickets to the other shows, can get #1 picks again for Seattle.   If there's loads of tickets, then a single lottery still works fine.  People going to other cities will be able to pick them up in later rounds.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • i'm reserved(and able to cancel) at a b grade hotel, the kings inn. 170/nite taxes in. all i care about is being downtown where the good cannabis is
  • WashmyLUVWashmyLUV Posts: 102
    DoDaFoo said:
    The Inn at Queen Anne (located right across the street from KEXP and Seattle Center) has rooms ranging from $169 to $189 a night. Better than some of the rates I'm seeing!
    I just booked with them. Great location and much cheaper than other places. I don't need anything too fancy...I can handle a twin size bed. LOL.
  • PRL1JAMPRL1JAM Posts: 782
  • WashmyLUVWashmyLUV Posts: 102
    i'm reserved(and able to cancel) at a b grade hotel, the kings inn. 170/nite taxes in. all i care about is being downtown where the good cannabis is
    I just tried to book this one...no longer available for these dates!
  • SteffyLouSteffyLou Posts: 369
    Got the okay from my hubby to take a girl’s trip to Seattle from Chicago... and then I priced it out. Seriously, I can not get the trip under $1,200 a person and that is prior to tickets, food, merch, and doing stuff in the city. Not looking good right now.  :s
    SteffyLou said:
    Got the okay from my hubby to take a girl’s trip to Seattle from Chicago... and then I priced it out. Seriously, I can not get the trip under $1,200 a person and that is prior to tickets, food, merch, and doing stuff in the city. Not looking good right now.  :s
    Stay outside of Seattle in a smaller town. Enjoy cheap lodging, great local food, and meet awesome people. Skip on Merch at the show and take advantage of low cost public transit to get to the show. Stay in Bellingham. An hour north and it’s amazing. Great food, lots to do, and right on the water. Hotel is $49 per night. You can take the bolt bus to Seattle for cheap! I live in Bellingham. I recommend it greatly over Seattle. :-) 
  • DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 875
    SteffyLou said:
    really? I just booked round trip flights from San Diego, 4 nights downtown and a shuttle bus to and from the airport for $1400 total for two of us on expedia. Try there.
  • SR91748SR91748 Posts: 137
    A little bit ironic that hotel costs are so high, and this show is about homelessness. Maybe someone will open up their lawn for tents. This is a great time of year to be camping in the NW. I expect two great shows. Great to see PJ back in town. Seattle and the NW are so fortunate to have them. 
  • DoDaFooDoDaFoo Seattle, WA Posts: 235
    WashmyLUV said:
    DoDaFoo said:
    The Inn at Queen Anne (located right across the street from KEXP and Seattle Center) has rooms ranging from $169 to $189 a night. Better than some of the rates I'm seeing!
    I just booked with them. Great location and much cheaper than other places. I don't need anything too fancy...I can handle a twin size bed. LOL.
    My mom has stayed there before when she’s come to visit. It’s nothing special, but it’s not bad.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    MayDay10 said:
    I love shows and any news of them...

I am not a fan of the stadium shows though.  Diminished acoustics and fan experience.  Been there, done that.  Its not special anymore. 
    My sentiments, also.

ENJOY, to those who go.
    It is what it is. Too big of a band to do small intimate shows anymore. Gotta take what you can get. 
    They aren't too big for arenas though. I think that's where they are at the best. I agree the ballparks aren't great - that's why I'm going GA or bust for these.
    I hear ya. I prefer the smaller shows too. But considering how hard it is to get tix to any show now..........they actually might be too big for arenas now.  
    Only in the huge markets on the East Coast, Chicago, and LA and such. In all the smaller cities it is actually pretty damn easy to get tix. Many of their arena shows didn't even sell out in 2013 and 2016, or if they did, it took a little while. I don't think they're too big for arenas in most places. These ballpark shows they are doing now... that seems to drum up interest simply because of the venue and not so much because of the band (Seattle excluded). Although if all they are going to do now is 6 ballparks in an entire year, yeah, tix aren't going to be hard to get. They need to play more shows than that to make it easier for fans. That said...... They might still announce an arena tour for the fall. Some people seem to be assuming this is all that's going to happen in 2018 in North America. I suspect otherwise. If they're going to release a new album, they need to do more than that.
    This has probably been said before, but ballpark shows in big cities make perfect sense for where the band is right now as individuals and as a group. They've had a bunch of side projects going on and don't seem to be all that interested in embarking on a massive world tour without an album to support. By playing a few ballparks that they can easily sell out, they keep themselves out there for the hardcore fans without having to go through the logistical rigors of a typical tour or the strain of playing 4-5 shows in a single week.

Play stadiums in big cities near other big cities, have their loyal fans come to them rather than vice versa, take a week or two off in between shows, bring in double the audience of an arena at each ballpark show without worrying about ticket sales, get the hype train here rolling again as people make show plans and talk about setlists, make some good money, put out some bootlegs and maybe a DVD to boot, call it a day. It just makes sense.

It's not like their purpose with these shows is to bring in any new fans. They are aware that most of the folks attending these shows are the same folks who have been attending shows for the past 2 decades. Not until they have a new album to try to introduce to new people should we expect a bigger tour. There's just no point in doing it for a band like Pearl Jam. 
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • hipfan1hipfan1 Posts: 37
    Booked the Coast Hotel in Bellevue for $226/night (plus tax). I can't afford to stay downtown and the trip from Bellevue isn't too bad, if you're not in rush hour. Hopefully I can get GA tix, and if I don't luck out there's no cancellation penalty, so there's no risk for my part. Looking forward to visiting Seattle in the summer and seeing some great shows!
  • varty yovarty yo Posts: 105
    Flying down from canada!!! flights booked 8-11th and hotel. Pacific hotel seems ok $ 900 for everything im good with that. Now the wait for tickets...
  • BZBZ Posts: 45
    Coming in hot from LI, NY. Flights booked! Hotel booked! C'mon tix! 
    Been wanting to see them in Seattle for some time. Night 2 just happens to land on my 40th bday. So psyched! 
    Looking forward to hearing about the pre-show gatherings. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ComeToTX said:

That's nice to read.

We tried that in 2000.  We stayed in a cheaper hotel on aururo ave. which is north of downtown (on the other side of the i5 bridge).     We got stuck in traffic everyday trying to get downtown.  Ever since we just book a hotel downtown (which unfortunately is way more expensive in the summer than the winter).  It's so much less hassle.    Maybe it would be better to stay somewhere south of seattle instead of North though.  Never tried that.
    I live in Vancouver and go down to Seattle a few times a year. Traffic on the I-5 as you approach Seattle from either direction is almost always a nightmare no matter which direction. Other than LA during rush hour I think Seattle is the worst city I've ever driven in for highway traffic. This time we decided to stay in West Seattle to try and avoid the I-5 by using 99, which will be nuts show day, but hopefully a bit better at other times. Many airport hotels are within a block or two of the light rail train which we used to go to Safeco before.  Airport hotels are a good option. 
    halv said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ComeToTX said:

That's nice to read.

I live in Vancouver and go down to Seattle a few times a year. Traffic on the I-5 as you approach Seattle from either direction is almost always a nightmare no matter which direction. Other than LA during rush hour I think Seattle is the worst city I've ever driven in for highway traffic. This time we decided to stay in West Seattle to try and avoid the I-5 by using 99, which will be nuts show day, but hopefully a bit better at other times. Many airport hotels are within a block or two of the light rail train which we used to go to Safeco before.  Airport hotels are a good option. 
    Seattle traffic is my nightmare. But I gotta say, I’ve had some hair pulling moments up in north Van during rush hour! 
  • It goes without saying that y'all need to stay through Sunday to attend the SubPop 30th Anniversary festival.  It's FREE!

https://www.subpop.com/news/2018/01/12/spf30_sub_pops_30th_anniversary_party_at_alki_beach_in_west_seattle_is_saturday_august_11th_2018

• PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS THE 406 Posts: 6,736
    Speaking of home shows, Missoula hotels are getting all booked up, so if i were you guys thinking about going, better get a place to stay very soon!!!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• ChadplamChadplam Alberta Posts: 186
    varty yo said:
    Flying down from canada!!! flights booked 8-11th and hotel. Pacific hotel seems ok $ 900 for everything im good with that. Now the wait for tickets...
    where are ya coming from? ill be coming down from Alberta

2016- TOTD Seattle Night 1+2
    2018- Home Shows Night 1+2, Missoula 
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    edited January 2018
    Ok, so I will throw this out there and it is roughing it a bit. However, if you live somewhat close and are driving to seattle it's an option. By the ballpark is tons of street parking. In particular by a Mcdonald's and Arby's, a five minute walk south of Safeco. You can tailgate and then sleep in your car after the show. I have an SUV that with back seats down fits two people lying down perfectly

Seattle is strange now on another note. The cost of hotels has gone up super high. Last time I was there for  a concert in 2013 I paid maybe $120 for a 4 star hotel. Now it is the cost of your pinky finger
    Post edited by chitty on
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    I've never had a problem driving to or from a stadium show in Seattle. Saw Metallica and Tom Petty (RIP) over the past summer. I live south of Seattle and have never had a problem getting in or out. If you're not too worried about fancy, try hotels near Sea-Tac or Tukwila. As long as you have access to 405 and I-5 you'll be good.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
    halv said:
    Zod said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    ComeToTX said:

That's nice to read.

I'm lucky now.  When I was younger we took the ferry to tsswassen and drove straight down to Seattle.   Once the peach arch crossing starting getting longer and longer lineups, we started taking the coho ferry (which goes from Victoria to Port Angeles) and taking the 101 south to the i5, then back up to Seattle.  Then in 2013 we discovered the bainbridge island ferry.  IE instead of driving all the way around the water, you can cut out 60 to 90 minutes of driving on a 45 minute ferry ride.  Turns driving a few hours on the interstate, into a much less stressful trip.   Don't even have to touch the I5 :)  Last time we took the car on the ferry, but this time I think we'll park the truck on bainbridge island and walk onto the ferry.
  • Is it good public transport to the arena? 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    chitty said:
    Ok, so I will throw this out there and it is roughing it a bit. However, if you live somewhat close and are driving to seattle it's an option. By the ballpark is tons of street parking. In particular by a Mcdonald's and Arby's, a five minute walk south of Safeco. You can tailgate and then sleep in your car after the show. We did that for GnR summer 2016. Sounds bad, but honestly, got up the next day and drove home. Nice and easy. Still got to enjoy some pops before and during the show, but without the crazy price tag. Of course, I have an SUV that with back seats down fits two people lying down perfectly

Seattle is strange now on another note. The cost of hotels has gone up super high. Last time I was there for  a concert in 2013 I paid maybe $120 for a 4 star hotel. Now it is the cost of your pinky finger
    It's also the difference in season.   The hotels are way more expensive in the summer than the winter.   The last PJ show was in the winter in the "low" season.  August is the peak season.   Awesome to have a summer concert, but doing it during tourist season is pretty expensive.
  • Arent there cheap hotels in Seatlle? How can they be soooo far more expansive than in Sweden... Or are the PJ-connected ones classy places?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"