Jack White/ThirdMan/THE VAULT

Comments

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    Lol, no disrespect. I just find people really like to give their negative thoughts on things. I guess for the most part I try to live by the "If I don't have something good to say, I don't say anything" ... but .... Just my thoughts.
    Oh. Well, I like to express and hear other people's thoughts on everything, good and bad. I think it's more honest and keeps things more interesting. I love when people share their thoughts and feelings, whatever they may be. I think just focusing on the nicey-nice gets boring and makes life a bit shallow and overly simplified and undramatic. That said, I'm not negatively emotionally effected by the negative. Some people are, I gather.
    Your probably right. I should go over to the Neil Young thread and post how I feel his whole discography is utter garbage. Probably make me feel better. I guess everyone is different, lol, that's what makes life fun. right? I may get bothered by what someone says and others might get bothered by what I say... but who really cares. Cheers!
    You keep your ass out of the Neil Young thread! Just kidding, I actually just asked if anyone else only honed in on a certain type of Neil's music because I don't like a lot of the stuff in his catalog. I'd say 50% resonates with me and 50% doesn't. Kind of the same with Jack. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2018
    bflynn1 said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    Lol, no disrespect. I just find people really like to give their negative thoughts on things. I guess for the most part I try to live by the "If I don't have something good to say, I don't say anything" ... but .... Just my thoughts.
    Oh. Well, I like to express and hear other people's thoughts on everything, good and bad. I think it's more honest and keeps things more interesting. I love when people share their thoughts and feelings, whatever they may be. I think just focusing on the nicey-nice gets boring and makes life a bit shallow and overly simplified and undramatic. That said, I'm not negatively emotionally effected by the negative. Some people are, I gather.
    Your probably right. I should go over to the Neil Young thread and post how I feel his whole discography is utter garbage. Probably make me feel better. I guess everyone is different, lol, that's what makes life fun. right? I may get bothered by what someone says and others might get bothered by what I say... but who really cares. Cheers!
    You keep your ass out of the Neil Young thread! Just kidding, I actually just asked if anyone else only honed in on a certain type of Neil's music because I don't like a lot of the stuff in his catalog. I'd say 50% resonates with me and 50% doesn't. Kind of the same with Jack. 
    lol, I actually like a lot of Neil's stuff, some is just ok. His singing (imo) is an acquired taste. But I respect what he does. Now with Jack, I enjoy about 99% of what he does. I love most if not all of it. However, these new tracks might have to grow on me a little. Saying that, I am a lifetime Vault member, so I will have this new limited version... like it or not.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    MedozK said:
    bflynn1 said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    lol, I actually like a lot of Neil's stuff, some is just ok. His singing (imo) is an acquired taste. But I respect what he does. Now with Jack, I enjoy about 99% of what he does. I love most if not all of it. However, these new tracks might have to grow on me a little. Saying that, I am a lifetime Vault member, so I will have this new limited version... like it or not.
    Neil's catalog is so big that I don't think i could say I like more than 50% of it. You're spot on with the singing style comment though. As for Jack, I like his work the best when it's in it's simplest form. I LOVED the Acoustic Recordings release. Things like that are what really get my attention. The experimenting with different genres etc. doesn't really do it for me as much. But like you, I'm a vault member for the long haul. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    I think there's something far more interesting going on here - the fact you two are going toe to toe!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    I think there's something far more interesting going on here - the fact you two are going toe to toe!
     ;) 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    there's quite a difference between what we're discussing and what you suggested. But hey, have a nice day!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

MedozK said:
    bflynn1 said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:
    you probably shouldn't have said that. it's negative and I'm offended. 

Sincerely,

Snowflake Hugh
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

MedozK said:
    bflynn1 said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:

Sincerely,

Snowflake Hugh
    Lol, I'm truely sorry. But wow, being negative is kinda fun.
    MedozK said:
    MedozK said:
    bflynn1 said:
    MedozK said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    MedozK said:

Sincerely,

Snowflake Hugh
    Lol, I'm truely sorry. But wow, being negative is kinda fun.
    I told you so! :lol:;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • @MedozK You want to pick me up a tri color tomorrow please?

Are you making the trip?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    bflynn1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bflynn1 said:
    jjflash said:
    DewieCox said:
    Anyone getting a bad vibe about this album? The description of it sounds like it could be a convoluted mess. My vault automatically renewed this morning. So I guess I ave to be in for this now. 

Nothing wows me so far. Going by the bits we’ve heard and the Vault announcement, he may be trying mash too many styles together. He’s best when there are strong ties to American roots music

He’s had pretty strong country influences for basically his whole career.
    Laz and Blunderbuss are genre hopscotchers so I'd be surprised if BHR isn't as well. I'm not a huge fan of JW's solo work but he's an iconic trailblazer and I'm willing to follow his muse. I'd recently cancelled my Vault membership (been on board since the beginning) but re-up'd after today's announcement (dang you New Year's resolution to be more frugal w spending, LOL) 
    Outside of my TMR vault subscription and the PJ vaults I allow myself to spend $60 a pay period on records. That's $120 a month. Or if there's a grail that I'm looking for I'll save up a couple/few paychecks worth of vinyl money to throw at it. It works out pretty well. 
    That's a nice, healthy budget.  That would add 40-50 records a year to the old collection.  Not too bad at all.  My budget goes awry because I'm super anal about the record sleeves and outer sleeves.  The Groove Jimmy Hats I use are 35 bucks for 50 so that adds up... but they are so worth it.  
    Which ones do you use? I consider myself a vinyl neat freak but I just get the inner sleeves from Mofi. So maybe I'm missing out on something. 
    I use the MOFI or sleeve city for the inners, but it's the outers I'm talking about.  My biggest peeve were the sleeves that get bunched up on the shelves.  These are super tight, super thick and crystal clear.  You won't believe the difference in quality.  They have single and double (or combo pack).  They NEVER bunch.  

https://www.amazon.com/Groove-Vinyl-Single-Premium-Sleeves/dp/B0106WX86E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515781581&sr=8-1&keywords=jimmy+hats
    I will definitely have to try some of these thanks! I know what you mean about sleeves getting bunched up/slipping off. I actually started putting my records in the sleeve wirh the record cover opening going in the sleeve first and the spine facing outward. That way when I pull a record off the shelf I'm pulling the sleeve toward me and therefore tighter on the record rather than where it can slip off. 

The only annoying thing about that is I have to take the record completely out of the sleeve to listen to it. So I'll definitely try a pack of these Groove ones to see how it goes. 
    I actually store the record in the mofi, but outside the record jacket.  It sits behind the jacket within the outer sleeve.  I do that because I hate the ring wear and the damage caused by constantly opening the gatefold or whatever.  Good luck!  Let me know what you think of them.  
    HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE TOM PETTY?  I just can't get over that one, right off the bat. 

Here's another one...  the Rolling Stones four album run of utter genius (Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile) are chock full of songs with deep country roots!  That stuff is so much better than the radio friendly Stones.  
  • Air23Air23 Roma Posts: 1,351
    @MedozK You want to pick me up a tri color tomorrow please?

Are you making the trip?
    @MedozK please help us buddy
    mrussel1 said:
    HOW CAN YOU NOT LIKE TOM PETTY?  I just can't get over that one, right off the bat. 

Here's another one...  the Rolling Stones four album run of utter genius (Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile) are chock full of songs with deep country roots!  That stuff is so much better than the radio friendly Stones.  
    I own no Tom Petty nor any RS albums. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mrussel1 said:

I thought those albums were where they openly admitted to ripping off the blues?
    edited January 2018
    mrussel1 said:

Blasphemer.  Wildflowers from TP is one of the best albums a person can own.  
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    saw the stones on their voodoo lounge tour. Didn't mind that record. A buddy of mine kept playing it. But other than that, don't really do it for me. 

I also own no Beatles. 

*ducks for cover* 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Are you making the trip?
    Air23 said:

Are you making the trip?
    I'm going. It's COLD here, going to be like 23 degrees when they open in the morning. I'm hoping the line isn't crazy. You can only get one, but you can get in the back of the line to get another... so depending on how the line is... we will see. I imagine it will be pretty long, but you never know.
    mrussel1 said:

I thought those albums were where they openly admitted to ripping off the blues?
    Depends on the songs but it's both for sure.  Taking the album Let it Bleed (one of my fav of all time), Love in Vain, Country Honk , Let it Bleed, and Midnight Rambler are deep in country.  Plus, when you go back, there's a ton of overlap between country and the original Delta blues.  
    To me, there's a world of difference between the white, suburban woman country pop of today and the old time stuff.  I'm not a fan of true country, but I like rock with country influence.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Depends on the songs but it's both for sure.  Taking the album Let it Bleed (one of my fav of all time), Love in Vain, Country Honk , Let it Bleed, and Midnight Rambler are deep in country.  Plus, when you go back, there's a ton of overlap between country and the original Delta blues.  
    To me, there's a world of difference between the white, suburban woman country pop of today and the old time stuff.  I'm not a fan of true country, but I like rock with country influence.  
    I always saw midnight rambler as a honky tonk/bluesy song but I get what you are going for.
  • MedozK said:

Are you making the trip?
    Air23 said:

Are you making the trip?
    I'm going. It's COLD here, going to be like 23 degrees when they open in the morning. I'm hoping the line isn't crazy. You can only get one, but you can get in the back of the line to get another... so depending on how the line is... we will see. I imagine it will be pretty long, but you never know.
    If it's that cold by you don't worry about it.

Try and have a good time tomorrow!

mrussel1 said:

I love Petty, but I've never been much of a fan of the Stones. A little too... I dunno, roadhousey for my liking a lot of the time, lol. Although a few of their songs are still fantastic for me.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    edited January 2018
    We need a negative musical opinions thread. 

These are some pretty sweet song titles:

BOARDING HOUSE REACH TRACK LIST

1. Connected By Love

2. Why Walk A Dog?

3. Corporation

4. Abulia and Akrasia

5. Hypermisophoniac

6. Ice Station Zebra

7. Over and Over and Over

8. Everything You've Ever Learned

9. Respect Commander

10. Ezmerelda Steals The Show

11. Get In The Mind Shaft

12. What's Done Is Done

13. Humoresque

We need a negative musical opinions thread. 

Great idea, lol.
    I just noticed this. I have never even heard of these challenge coins before somehow. I like that it serves as an adaptor.

"BOARDING HOUSE REACH Vault Package #35 will also include, for the third year running, a custom 2018 THIRD MAN RECORDS CHALLENGE COIN, complete with album-specific artwork. The substantial and stylish coin doubles as a 45 adaptor and grants its holder 10% off purchases in both Third Man Records storefronts. Past Third Man Challenge coins will no longer be valid at Third Man storefronts once Vault Package #35 ships."

• kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,888
    PJ_Soul said:
    I just noticed this. I have never even heard of these challenge coins before somehow. I like that it serves as an adaptor.

"BOARDING HOUSE REACH Vault Package #35 will also include, for the third year running, a custom 2018 THIRD MAN RECORDS CHALLENGE COIN, complete with album-specific artwork. The substantial and stylish coin doubles as a 45 adaptor and grants its holder 10% off purchases in both Third Man Records storefronts. Past Third Man Challenge coins will no longer be valid at Third Man storefronts once Vault Package #35 ships."

I have the previous two. They've come in the first Vault packages of their respective years. Pretty much only use them as a 45 adaptor since I've yet to make it back to TMR.
    We need a negative musical opinions thread.  :):)
    Perfect.  :)
    MedozK said:
    We need a negative musical opinions thread.  :):)
    Perfect.  :)
    No way.. I hate negativity.