The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    Just curious, how long does it take for cannabis to leave your system so that you do not violate DUI laws?
    I don’t think there’s an on the street test cops can give like a breathalyzer. I think in Washington they’re trying to develop one. Cops now assess impairment, but I don’t know how well it would hold up in court. 
    Generally speaking, driving 15 MPH in a 45 MPH zone is often a clear giveaway.
    And a burrito in the left hand and a Hostess Snowball in the right. 
    :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

And doing this a lot:
    :lol:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Here in Australia they do random roadside drug tests for cannabis and other drug using saliva devices. 4 hours seems too soon. I would have thought 24 hours to be okay to drive.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Here in Australia they do random roadside drug tests for cannabis and other drug using saliva devices. 4 hours seems too soon. I would have thought 24 hours to be okay to drive.
    Because the potency of weed varies so much, I think this is going to be a tough one to put a time limit on when it is safe.  Hopefully users will be smart and be safe and not hurt themselves or others or blow the whole deal.  And hopefully people will be self-aware enough to know when it is safe to drive.  If someone smokes and then stays up until way late in order for the effects to wear off but then they're dead tired at 3 or 4 AM and drive, that could be just as dangerous.  Self-awareness is key.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    There are many variables involved. 
    Body type, height, weight, etc
    Type of cannabis
    Amount of cannabis
    Strength of cannabis

Some people metabolize it quickly while others it can remain in their system for days.
    In Colorado the police assess the drivers for impairment rather then test.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    WASHINGTON (AP) — Attorney General Jeff Sessions is going after legalized marijuana. Sessions is rescinding a policy that had let legalized marijuana flourish without federal intervention across the country.

That’s according to two people with direct knowledge of the decision. They were not allowed to publicly discuss it before an announcement expected Thursday and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The move will leave it to U.S. attorneys where pot is legal to decide whether to aggressively enforce federal marijuana law. The move likely will add to confusion about whether it’s OK to grow, buy or use marijuana in states where it’s legal, since long-standing federal law prohibits it.

The decision comes days after California began selling recreational marijuana.

Sessions compares marijuana to heroin and blames it for spikes in violence.
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Conservatives are truly the biggest hypocrites in the world.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    rgambs said:
    No doubt Sessions is a drunk too ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    rgambs said:
    More likely getting $$ from big pharma & booze
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
    The majority of Republicans are in favor of legalization.  Sessions needs to take a hike.
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/25/politics/marijuana-legalization-republicans-poll/index.html

CM189191 said:
    rgambs said:
    More likely getting $$ from big pharma & booze
    Yep 
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Fuckin' 5'3" anti-science hillbilly. Let them try. I'm guessing my AG, as well as the other AG's on the left coast will be very aggressive fighting that deplorable. There will certainly be no cooperation with local law enforcement assisting the jackboots.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    yeah, this pissed me off early today.  This is a loser issue for sure.  Let them try...just one more thing to add to the list.  
    jeffbr said:
    Fuckin' 5'3" anti-science hillbilly. Let them try. I'm guessing my AG, as well as the other AG's on the left coast will be very aggressive fighting that deplorable. There will certainly be no cooperation with local law enforcement assisting the jackboots.

mrussel1 said:
    yeah, this pissed me off early today.  This is a loser issue for sure.  Let them try...just one more thing to add to the list.  
    Right on and right on!

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177

GOP senator says Sessions broke pledge to him on marijuana policy

"Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) threatened on Thursday to start holding up the confirmation process for White House Justice Department nominees unless Attorney General Jeff Sessions reverses a decision to roll back a policy allowing legalized recreational use of marijuana in some states.

Gardner said in a series of tweets that Sessions had told him before he was confirmed by the Senate that he would not change an Obama-era policy that discouraged federal prosecutors from pursuing marijuana-related offenses in states where the substance had been legalized. Colorado is one of those states."

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

mrussel1 said:
    Right on and right on!
    Far out, solid AND right on, Bob.  

jeffbr said:

"Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.) threatened on Thursday to start holding up the confirmation process for White House Justice Department nominees unless Attorney General Jeff Sessions reverses a decision to roll back a policy allowing legalized recreational use of marijuana in some states.

Gardner said in a series of tweets that Sessions had told him before he was confirmed by the Senate that he would not change an Obama-era policy that discouraged federal prosecutors from pursuing marijuana-related offenses in states where the substance had been legalized. Colorado is one of those states."

Go Gardener! 

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    jeffbr said:

I've read this morning that even the task force that Sessions himself convened to study the issue did not recommend rescinding the policy, but he decided to go ahead with it anyway. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    hows that small government thingy going?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My initial reaction was anger, but beneath that was a kernel of hope that this would galvanise and energise people, and the response here supports that hope.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Go Gardener! 
    Sounds like he's just saving face here, closing the barn door, etc,  Sessions' stance on the issue has been pretty clear.  Shame on Gardner for not realizing he was being lied to in the first place.
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Go Gardener! 
    Sounds like he's just saving face here, closing the barn door, etc,  Sessions' stance on the issue has been pretty clear.  Shame on Gardner for not realizing he was being lied to in the first place.
    Is it a matter of Gardener being naive or just simply calling on sessions to be accountable for what he said earlier?

I could use a joint right now
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Go Gardener! 
    Is it a matter of Gardener being naive or just simply calling on sessions to be accountable for what he said earlier?
    Maybe not naivete.  He could have been doing what was politically beneficial at that time, and doing the same now.  

Either ignorant or an opportunist, shame for supporting Sessions in the first place.
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    CM189191 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:

Go Gardener! 
    Maybe not naivete.  He could have been doing what was politically beneficial at that time, and doing the same now.  

Either ignorant or an opportunist, shame for supporting Sessions in the first place.
    Yeah, true, but kudos in this case for calling him on his shit and helping keep big gov's hands off our stashes!

I wish I knew someone I could buy off. I really want something tonight.
    I wish I knew someone I could buy off. I really want something tonight.
    You ever try growing your own , it’s better than buying it ..
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    MayDay10 said:
    So now people here care about States' Rights?
    unsung said:
    MayDay10 said:
    So now people here care about States' Rights?
    Likely not... I don't.  The states rights thing is just an easy way to point out the hypocrisy of the person in charge (AG), who claims to be about that.  I care about arcane drug laws that a strong majority of voters in those states and around the country are against.  The AG can allocate their resources and prosecute the crimes that it chooses to prioritize.  There is no legal or ethical obligation to enforce all laws equally or under the same force.  The Obama admin made that clear with the memo they wrote.  They gave the green light to the states saying "No we can't get the law off the books or change the schedule, but we will not prioritize this".  Sessions is reversing it.  If it's all just a ruse and he never spends a buck enforcing them, great.  Although if that's his intent, it's a monumentally stupid move politically.  You get all the backlash with none of the benefit. 
    Jeff Sessions, former senator from Alabama, the state that hasn't raised taxes on alcohol since 1969.  The state that makes it easy to get drunk on cheap booze.  I can  picture Sessions using that worn out phrase, "the evil weed" while downing a shot of Wild Turkey.  Hypocritical son-of-a-bitch.