Whiskey Clique

Comments

• bbiggs said:
    Wobbie said:
    bbiggs said:
    ^ I know there’s a separate thread for this, but does anyone have a beat on where to get a bottle without paying astronomical ( see above) prices?  I’m guessing no, but worth a shot asking.

The 12 yr would be ideal for me. Any tips are appreciated. 

you gotta be in the right place at the right time.

I also post on a baseball collecting site and a dude in some eastern state (MD?) has scored a bottle of almost every variety for less than $150 ea.
    Thanks for the tip. I know a guy who’s in some bourbon club so I’m hoping maybe he can score me one, but I know it’s a fat chance. I’ll keep trying though! Sounds like the dude you mention is in the right place at the right time pretty often ;)
    I'm very friendly with my local wine spot and they gave me first crack at a bottle.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Shit I must not be friendly enough with my liquor store!
  • bbiggs said:
    I'm a regular so they know me.
    bbiggs said:
    I'm a regular so they know me.
    So am I!  Might need to grease him to put me at the top of the list. Lol 
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    edited January 2018
    We've almost finished the bottle Glen Dronach... 
    Post edited by Miss.Snowdrop on
    Blantons has been extremely hard to find lately in the Chicago area. I found a local store today that tells me they have it for $60 over the phone. I go to pick it up...$90! WTF. I passed on it out of principle. What are most of you paying for it these days? 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    Mmmm...whiskey!
    For me, being handed a whiskey menu at a whiskey bar is about as good as it gets.  Like a kid in a candy store!
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    bbiggs said:
    Blantons has been extremely hard to find lately in the Chicago area. I found a local store today that tells me they have it for $60 over the phone. I go to pick it up...$90! WTF. I passed on it out of principle. What are most of you paying for it these days? 
    $59.99- $64.99 here in Michigan.  Usually, hard to find around the holidays.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    bbiggs said:
    $59.99- $64.99 here in Michigan.  Usually, hard to find around the holidays.
    That’s exactly what it should be priced at. Problem is it’s hard to find here always. So these stores mark it up 50% and wait for someone to be desperate enough to pay it. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mca47 said:
    Mmmm...whiskey!
    For me, being handed a whiskey menu at a whiskey bar is about as good as it gets.  Like a kid in a candy store!
    This
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Anyone ever have Blade and Bow?
    I never had it until recently.  A friend was going on and on about it and how hard to find it is.  Anyways, she got a bottle for me when she was in Cali recently.  It got pretty good reviews so I was excited.
    Not overly impressed.  Has a decent flavor on the front, but the back was lacking.  Very strong alcohol punch.  Expected it to be a little smoother I guess.  It'll likely be sitting in the liquor cabinet for some time.
    mca47 said:
    I never had it until recently.  A friend was going on and on about it and how hard to find it is.  Anyways, she got a bottle for me when she was in Cali recently.  It got pretty good reviews so I was excited.
    Not overly impressed.  Has a decent flavor on the front, but the back was lacking.  Very strong alcohol punch.  Expected it to be a little smoother I guess.  It'll likely be sitting in the liquor cabinet for some time.
    Never tried.

Maybe add a few drops of water. If that doesn't do the trick, perhaps it gets put to use in cocktails.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    I am a simple man.
    Dewars with a cube
    When I want to splurge Balvenie carribean cask.  Man is that stuff good.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Get_Right said:
    I am a simple man.
    Dewars with a cube
    When I want to splurge Balvenie carribean cask.  Man is that stuff good.
    I meant to mention this up front.  Big fan of The Balvenie Carribean Cask
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I haven't had the Carribbean, but the standard Balvenie 12 is a little sweet for me, or maybe it's just sweet in a way I don't like.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    I haven't had the Carribbean, but the standard Balvenie 12 is a little sweet for me, or maybe it's just sweet in a way I don't like.
    It's definitely a little sweet for a scotch with the rum barrels. 
    rgambs said:
    Yes, the carribean cask does have a sweeter finish. Are there others you guys might suggest that are finished in rum barrels?
    Get_Right said:
    rgambs said:
    Yes, the carribean cask does have a sweeter finish. Are there others you guys might suggest that are finished in rum barrels?
    This is the only scotch that I am familiar with that is.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Spiced rum barrels?
    That sounds more up my alley than the Sherry casks used on the Balvenie 12.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Spiced rum barrels?
    That sounds more up my alley than the Sherry casks used on the Balvenie 12.
    I don't think they are spiced but there is a very subtle "rummy" finish
    A little Tomatin Dualchas to go along with the first golf tournament of the year. Nothing special, but a nice light scotch. 
    dankind said:
    mca47 said:
    Never tried.

Maybe add a few drops of water. If that doesn't do the trick, perhaps it gets put to use in cocktails.

Yeah, that helped tone it down, but still just an average at best bourbon.  
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Have some Cleveland Underground hickory finished.
    Don't really like it, and it also gives me acid reflux (heartburn?) every sip.
    Tried a different whisky and it didn't.  Why?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Malroth said:
    That's strange one would give you heartburn and another wouldn't.  Most whiskeys tend to have a similar alcohol % +/- 10% and I would imagine the alcohol would be what gave you the reflux.
    mca47 said:
    Malroth said:
    That's strange one would give you heartburn and another wouldn't.  Most whiskeys tend to have a similar alcohol % +/- 10% and I would imagine the alcohol would be what gave you the reflux.
    I have the same issue with bourbon and scotches that are aged or finished in stronger woods and barrels that have been heavily torched. Not sure about the chemistry involved but they don't sit well with me.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    crown royal is my usual go to. sometimes gibson's finest. other times forty creek. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Having some Four Roses SB right now.  Not many at this price level that are this good.  
    Always one of my go-to’s.  
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mca47 said:
    Having some Four Roses SB right now.  Not many at this price level that are this good.  
    Always one of my go-to’s.  
    .....one of my favorites as well.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Polished off my bottle of Bunnahabhain 12 last night. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Buffalo Trace for me this weekend