Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Maybe he is moving?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Maybe he is moving?
    Perhaps, but I don't think that really changes anything. Not at his age.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

So... if anybody out there wants to shout me a couple of hundred thousand dollars, I'll take that beautiful Skylark and a bunch of guitars please!

Neil Young 2017

"Julien’s Auctions has announced that PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NEIL YOUNG will close the world-record breaking auction house’s 2017 season on December 9, 2017. Property from the two time inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend will be presented in a single owner sale, and include his extraordinary personal collection of model trains, classic cars, guitars, recording gear, clothing, memorabilia and more. Over 200 items from Young’s vast Lionel train collection will be presented, featuring dozens of rare and unique items such as prototypes for Lionel production locomotives and rolling stock, many of them from the fabled Lionel archives. Highlights include the Lionel 773 New York Central Hudson Factory Prototype locomotive ($10,000-$20,000), the Lionel Western Pacific "1954" Blue Feather Boxcar Factory Prototype (estimate: $5,000-$10,000); the Lionel Santa Fe "Clear Shell" F-3 locomotive (estimate: $3,000-$5,000) and the HORDE Tour Psychedelic Vanderbilt Hudson locomotive (estimate: $12,000-$15,000) that ran in a layout Young brought to the Horizons of Rock Developing Everywhere Tour.

Neil Young’s classic cars, that served as muses many of his songs are featured including a 1948 Buick Roadmaster Hearse built by Flxible (estimate: $8,000-$10,000) identical to the one used by Young and his band, The Squires, to haul their equipment to gigs in the early 1960's, decorated with backstage passes and bumper stickers and served as the theme of Young's song, "Long May You Run;" a 1953 Buick Roadmaster code 76X Skylark Convertible Buick's 50th anniversary special edition, (total production 1,690) with a steering wheel hub that denotes "customized for Neil Young" (estimate: $100,000-$130,000) and a 1941 Chrysler Series 28 Windsor Highlander 2-Door 3-Person Coupe (estimate: $15,000-$20,000), considered the most prestigious model Chrysler had to offer.

Studio gear, recording equipment and instruments featured include two Studer A800 Mark III Master recorders known as 'The Twins' and used together in Young's studio (estimate: $10,000-$12,000); four Marshall Full Stack Amplifiers (estimates ranging from $2,000-$3,500); a 1935 Martin F-7 acoustic guitar (estimate: $4,000-$4,500); a 1965 Gibson ES-345 left handed electric guitar, with a Varitone, original tailpiece, original pickguard, a strap and a handwritten chord chart (estimate: $3,500-$5,000); a 1999 Gretsch White Falcon SS (estimate: $2,000-$2,500) sixteen Universal Audio 610 preamp console modules (estimate: $9,000-$12,000) and a hurdy gurdy used on Young's song "Red Sun" from his album Silver and Gold (estimate: $200-$400). Young's clothing worn on stage and at events will also make an appearance including an Abercrombie & Fitch red and blue plaid flannel shirt worn in a performance with Paul McCartney at a benefit concert for the Bridge School (estimate: $300-$500); a tan and cream striped seersucker J. Crew jacket, worn in a performance at Hard Rock live in Hollywood, Florida (estimate: $400-$600) as well as bolo ties and designer jackets."

Check out the full catalogue here:

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/icatalog-accept.html
    Wow..... Anyone else find this a little unsettling? Seems like he's kind of cleaning house in preparation for the inevitable/lightening his load ... I actually really admire people who do that. It's just that it also makes me think about what they're ultimately preparing for, and it makes me sad.
    Depressing to think about.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

So... if anybody out there wants to shout me a couple of hundred thousand dollars, I'll take that beautiful Skylark and a bunch of guitars please!

Neil Young 2017

"Julien’s Auctions has announced that PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NEIL YOUNG will close the world-record breaking auction house’s 2017 season on December 9, 2017. Property from the two time inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend will be presented in a single owner sale, and include his extraordinary personal collection of model trains, classic cars, guitars, recording gear, clothing, memorabilia and more. Over 200 items from Young’s vast Lionel train collection will be presented, featuring dozens of rare and unique items such as prototypes for Lionel production locomotives and rolling stock, many of them from the fabled Lionel archives. Highlights include the Lionel 773 New York Central Hudson Factory Prototype locomotive ($10,000-$20,000), the Lionel Western Pacific "1954" Blue Feather Boxcar Factory Prototype (estimate: $5,000-$10,000); the Lionel Santa Fe "Clear Shell" F-3 locomotive (estimate: $3,000-$5,000) and the HORDE Tour Psychedelic Vanderbilt Hudson locomotive (estimate: $12,000-$15,000) that ran in a layout Young brought to the Horizons of Rock Developing Everywhere Tour.

Neil Young’s classic cars, that served as muses many of his songs are featured including a 1948 Buick Roadmaster Hearse built by Flxible (estimate: $8,000-$10,000) identical to the one used by Young and his band, The Squires, to haul their equipment to gigs in the early 1960's, decorated with backstage passes and bumper stickers and served as the theme of Young's song, "Long May You Run;" a 1953 Buick Roadmaster code 76X Skylark Convertible Buick's 50th anniversary special edition, (total production 1,690) with a steering wheel hub that denotes "customized for Neil Young" (estimate: $100,000-$130,000) and a 1941 Chrysler Series 28 Windsor Highlander 2-Door 3-Person Coupe (estimate: $15,000-$20,000), considered the most prestigious model Chrysler had to offer.

Studio gear, recording equipment and instruments featured include two Studer A800 Mark III Master recorders known as 'The Twins' and used together in Young's studio (estimate: $10,000-$12,000); four Marshall Full Stack Amplifiers (estimates ranging from $2,000-$3,500); a 1935 Martin F-7 acoustic guitar (estimate: $4,000-$4,500); a 1965 Gibson ES-345 left handed electric guitar, with a Varitone, original tailpiece, original pickguard, a strap and a handwritten chord chart (estimate: $3,500-$5,000); a 1999 Gretsch White Falcon SS (estimate: $2,000-$2,500) sixteen Universal Audio 610 preamp console modules (estimate: $9,000-$12,000) and a hurdy gurdy used on Young's song "Red Sun" from his album Silver and Gold (estimate: $200-$400). Young's clothing worn on stage and at events will also make an appearance including an Abercrombie & Fitch red and blue plaid flannel shirt worn in a performance with Paul McCartney at a benefit concert for the Bridge School (estimate: $300-$500); a tan and cream striped seersucker J. Crew jacket, worn in a performance at Hard Rock live in Hollywood, Florida (estimate: $400-$600) as well as bolo ties and designer jackets."

Wow..... Anyone else find this a little unsettling? Seems like he's kind of cleaning house in preparation for the inevitable/lightening his load ... I actually really admire people who do that. It's just that it also makes me think about what they're ultimately preparing for, and it makes me sad.
    I agree, there's something quite sad about it in some ways. He has said that it's time for other people to enjoy these things though, so maybe it is just a cathartic clean out.

It would have been so cool to see these in a Neil museum though...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    Could be a divorce thing. But after the dropping out of the RnRHOF thing, as well as how weird he was on that Hitchhiker stream, it does give me pause. Especially after Bowie being sick and an insane few knowing.  Neil is a pretty private guy. 

Read a pretty good theory at Thrashers positing the free Archives on Dec. 1 will probably only be Vol. 1. Makes sense actually. The original Vol. 1 is OOP. He wants to remind people about the depth of the set and then hook people in for a sub for Vol. 2 or the remainder dropping next year. Or 5. 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    As a lefty I would love to have that 1965 Gibson ES-345
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2017
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Tonight's the Night a 3/5?????????

pure madness brother
    Haha. I know. But I think I would give Mirrorball only 3 too. Haha.
    Holy fuck... pure madness!!!!! 
    my2hands said:
    I don't use Instagram... you should put your album reviews here for us to check out
    In comparison to other music, it would be different maybe. Im just grading it in a Neil Young vacuum.

Will se if embedding works.

<a href="
    " style=" color:#000; 

Self titled (1969). I have never understood why Neil Youngs solo debut is so overlooked and rarely brought up when discussing Young. It's a masterpiece. Soaked in mood and atmosphere and with a blanket of sadness. Not a song on the album that doesn&#39;t stand out.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited November 2017
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:
    Tonight's the Night a 3/5?????????

pure madness brother
    Haha. I know. But I think I would give Mirrorball only 3 too. Haha.
    Holy fuck... pure madness!!!!! 
    my2hands said:
    I don't use Instagram... you should put your album reviews here for us to check out
    In comparison to other music, it would be different maybe. Im just grading it in a Neil Young vacuum.

Will se if embedding works.

<a href="
    " style=" color:#000; 

Self titled (1969). I have never understood why Neil Youngs solo debut is so overlooked and rarely brought up when discussing Young. It's a masterpiece. Soaked in mood and atmosphere and with a blanket of sadness. Not a song on the album that doesn&#39;t stand out.
    I saw one of your Instagram reviews the other day when I was randomly searching for Everybody Knows.. hashtags. I didn't spot your avatar (doh!) Cool stuff :clap:

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:

Neil Young 2017

Yeah, this is definitely a bit unsettling to me.  It could be related to his divorce (did he end up keeping his ranch in the hills above Redwood City, CA?  I never heard either way.)  But I'm more concerned it may be due to failing health or poor money management. 

Or maybe it's just the reality that scaling back is something most of us have to (or really ought to) do when we get older.  We're starting to do a little of that ourselves in my home. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Lukas Nelson was going on about touring with Neil in 2018, so I'm sure its just part of the divorce stuff. Hopefully Neil is fine and is with us for many more years!
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    He just tweeted that he’s gonna be playing from Canada on Dec. 1. And I assume streaming it live?? 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Ed had to feel good about writing the two best songs of the mirrorball sessions.  Long Road and I Got Id. 
  • Flipping through that catalogue, I wish I've had the cash to buy my dad one of the guitars. Haha. 

How does those kind of auctions work? Are they live or more like eBay?

And I agree it feels uneasy, with him selling stuff off. But maybe he's leaving/have left the ranch?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited November 2017
    Harvest Moon looks to be out in the wild now... 
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Neil doesn't live at the ranch anymore.  Pegi lives there now.
    Maybe there isn't room for all that stuff along with the rest of his things and all of Daryl Hannah's things at the home they now share.
    I look forward to seeing Neil on tour in 2018.  This year was the first calendar year in which I didn't see Neil perform live since 1998.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    edited November 2017
    Why cant Neil Young and Pearl Jam just record an acoustic moody Mirrorball sequel. 

I think it would do PJ good.
    edited November 2017
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969). First album with Crazy Horse. And a much rawer and less polished sound than the solo debut. I would argue It's the quentisential Neil Young album, featuring staples (and amazing songs) like Cinnamon Girl, Down by the river and the title track Everybody knows this is nowhere.
    edited November 2017
    After the Goldrush (1970). After the Goldrush is one of the iconic albums in history. Three albums in a row from Neil without one weak song. Even the quirky Cripple Creek Ferry is magic.

edited November 2017
    Harvest (1972). One of the most beautiful sounding albums ever recorded. I adore it and the cover is the most gorgeous album cover ever designed.

• On the Beach (1974). Wonderfully stripped down and crude. A typical Neil Young-contrast coming off of Harvest. Remember A-Camp doing a lovely cover of the title track, But don't know If it can be found online. Standouts: See the sky about to rain, On the beach, Motion Pictures, Ambulance Blues.
    edited November 2017
    Picked up the Harvest Moon reissue this morning. It's a double vinyl issue, with the tracks split across 3 sides.
    Side 4 is an etching of the album cover.

Sounds pretty sweet so far!
    Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)
  • Bought Harvest Moon too. $24.
  • yanknuckyanknuck Peterborough, ON Posts: 57
    Live from "somewhere in Canada" Dec 1! Check out ctv.ca for details. Speculation has it to be be somewhere in the greater Peterborough, ON area. Less than 30 minutes from my house. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969). First album with Crazy Horse. And a much rawer and less polished sound than the solo debut. I would argue It's the quentisential Neil Young album, featuring staples (and amazing songs) like Cinnamon Girl, Down by the river and the title track Everybody knows this is nowhere.
    For sure, I would agree this one is essential Neil! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Neil Young should get the Harvest Moon-guys back together and make a "Christmas Album". 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Neil Young should get the Harvest Moon-guys back together and make a "Christmas Album". 
    Ben Keith, Tim Drummond, and Kenny Buttrey have all passed away... the only major contributor still alive is Spooner Oldham
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    goldrush said:
    Picked up the Harvest Moon reissue this morning. It's a double vinyl issue, with the tracks split across 3 sides.

Sounds so good!  Way better than expected!  Why does all of his stuff sound so great on vinyl???

Really happy I went out on Black Friday in spite of a cold to get this one.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • I want that.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
    vant0037 said:
    goldrush said:

Sounds so good!  Way better than expected!  Why does all of his stuff sound so great on vinyl???

Really happy I went out on Black Friday in spite of a cold to get this one.
    It really does, doesn't it? It's partly why always I'm happy to buy Neil's reissues, you know they're always going to sound great.

(Tim Rogers)