Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    During the Hitchhiker promotion Neil said, "Some have noted after hearing this (Hitchhiker), that this recording may be a high water mark for me, hard to match, yet he we are 40 years later and the Visitor will arrive soon with his own ideas."

Turns out ‘The Visitor’ is Neil’s new record with POTR and it’s out on December 1st :)

The Visitor:
    01 Already Great
    02 Fly By Night Deal
    03 Almost Always
    04 Stand Tall
    05 Change of Heart
    06 Carnival
    07 Diggin’ a Hole
    08 Children of Destiny
    09 When Bad Got Good
    10 Forever

https://pitchfork.com/news/neil-young-announces-new-album-the-visitor-shares-already-great-listen/
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    “Already Great”

https://youtu.be/0MIYJnZ3OnE

(Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

I really hope Neil does another round of touring next year in the US.

I NEED to see him with POTR.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    lolobugg said:

Me, too. They played Mansfield locally last time, and at this point in my life, no band is worth the stress of getting out of that parking lot. If they do the same next year, I might just have to travel to see them.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    lolobugg said:

Me, too. They played Mansfield locally last time, and at this point in my life, no band is worth the stress of getting out of that parking lot. If they do the same next year, I might just have to travel to see them.

Dan,

you can head on down to NC and catch the show with me and Becca.

he hasn't played here in almost 7 years excluding Farm Aid.

we are overdue

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    So... another new album from NY + Promise of the Real coming. Single out. I have to say I really wish Neil and Promise of the Real would part ways now. I enjoyed The Monsanto Years - it was kind of different and enjoyable. They were also excellent on that tour. However, at this point their sound is getting really stale and stilted IMO. I'm even starting to wonder if NY isn't holding those guys back at this point rather than giving them a step up like he did at first.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ... Neil, what are you doing...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    I bought freedom today
    Neil is like a step ahead of everyone 
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    ... Neil, what are you doing...
    Couldn't disagree more... LOVE the new song, I think it's fucking badass... can't wait to hear the new album... really can't wait to hear it all live hopefully in 2018 with Promise of the Real, they are great

• my2hands said:
    Couldn't disagree more... LOVE the new song, I think it's fucking badass... can't wait to hear the new album... really can't wait to hear it all live hopefully in 2018 with Promise of the Real, they are great

Great! I envy you :)

Listening to this song after the Hitchiker-release is jarring :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    my2hands said:

Great! I envy you :)

Listening to this song after the Hitchiker-release is jarring :)
    The world out there is jarring at the moment, we need Neil and his protest songs! Always looking forward to seeing what the legend comes out with next.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
    It's rocking... it's rollicking... it's got keys... it's loose... it's funky... it's political 

I love it
    Pretty sweet post on Neil’s Facebook page this morning. I can’t wait to start exploring the Archives...

Happy 72nd Birthday Neil!

(Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    my2hands said:
    It's rocking... it's rollicking... it's got keys... it's loose... it's funky... it's political 

I love it
    I will definitely have to check it out!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2hands said:

I love it
    It's starting to click with me. 

But it's no Ohio, War song or... War of Man. :)
    brianlux said:
    my2hands said:

I love it
    I will definitely have to check it out!
    Make sure you turn it up and share with the neighbors!!!
  • This is my favorite thread on the board. 

Just saying. 
  • Listened to Times Fade Away again. 

Man, it's great.
    This is my favorite thread on the board. 

Just saying. 
    Same here. This is usually the first thread I check when i get here :)

Listened to Times Fade Away again. 

Man, it's great.
    I got the Original Release 5-8 and 8.5-12 cd box sets for my birthday last week. Finally get to listen to a great sounding cd of Time Fades Away in the car! Love that album

(Tim Rogers)
    I'm ready for The Visitor and some tour dates
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    I'm ready for the Archives. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited November 2017
    I'm going through all the albums in order and post reviews on my Instagram. And I felt like... to me Tonights the Night was 3/5 and now I regret it because it has to be a 4/5. Now my entire marathon is flawed. Fuck. 

But at the same times I don't really listen to it that often or return to it. But ofc it's a 4.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited November 2017
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Tonight's the Night a 3/5?????????

pure madness brother

So... if anybody out there wants to shout me a couple of hundred thousand dollars, I'll take that beautiful Skylark and a bunch of guitars please!

Neil Young 2017

"Julien’s Auctions has announced that PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NEIL YOUNG will close the world-record breaking auction house’s 2017 season on December 9, 2017. Property from the two time inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend will be presented in a single owner sale, and include his extraordinary personal collection of model trains, classic cars, guitars, recording gear, clothing, memorabilia and more. Over 200 items from Young’s vast Lionel train collection will be presented, featuring dozens of rare and unique items such as prototypes for Lionel production locomotives and rolling stock, many of them from the fabled Lionel archives. Highlights include the Lionel 773 New York Central Hudson Factory Prototype locomotive ($10,000-$20,000), the Lionel Western Pacific "1954" Blue Feather Boxcar Factory Prototype (estimate: $5,000-$10,000); the Lionel Santa Fe "Clear Shell" F-3 locomotive (estimate: $3,000-$5,000) and the HORDE Tour Psychedelic Vanderbilt Hudson locomotive (estimate: $12,000-$15,000) that ran in a layout Young brought to the Horizons of Rock Developing Everywhere Tour.

Neil Young’s classic cars, that served as muses many of his songs are featured including a 1948 Buick Roadmaster Hearse built by Flxible (estimate: $8,000-$10,000) identical to the one used by Young and his band, The Squires, to haul their equipment to gigs in the early 1960's, decorated with backstage passes and bumper stickers and served as the theme of Young's song, "Long May You Run;" a 1953 Buick Roadmaster code 76X Skylark Convertible Buick's 50th anniversary special edition, (total production 1,690) with a steering wheel hub that denotes "customized for Neil Young" (estimate: $100,000-$130,000) and a 1941 Chrysler Series 28 Windsor Highlander 2-Door 3-Person Coupe (estimate: $15,000-$20,000), considered the most prestigious model Chrysler had to offer.

Studio gear, recording equipment and instruments featured include two Studer A800 Mark III Master recorders known as 'The Twins' and used together in Young's studio (estimate: $10,000-$12,000); four Marshall Full Stack Amplifiers (estimates ranging from $2,000-$3,500); a 1935 Martin F-7 acoustic guitar (estimate: $4,000-$4,500); a 1965 Gibson ES-345 left handed electric guitar, with a Varitone, original tailpiece, original pickguard, a strap and a handwritten chord chart (estimate: $3,500-$5,000); a 1999 Gretsch White Falcon SS (estimate: $2,000-$2,500) sixteen Universal Audio 610 preamp console modules (estimate: $9,000-$12,000) and a hurdy gurdy used on Young's song "Red Sun" from his album Silver and Gold (estimate: $200-$400). Young's clothing worn on stage and at events will also make an appearance including an Abercrombie & Fitch red and blue plaid flannel shirt worn in a performance with Paul McCartney at a benefit concert for the Bridge School (estimate: $300-$500); a tan and cream striped seersucker J. Crew jacket, worn in a performance at Hard Rock live in Hollywood, Florida (estimate: $400-$600) as well as bolo ties and designer jackets."

Check out the full catalogue here:

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/icatalog-accept.html

(Tim Rogers)
  • my2hands said:

pure madness brother
    Haha. I know. But I think I would give Mirrorball only 3 too. Haha.
    my2hands said:

pure madness brother
    Haha. I know. But I think I would give Mirrorball only 3 too. Haha.
    Holy fuck... pure madness!!!!! 
    I don't use Instagram... you should put your album reviews here for us to check out
    goldrush said:

So... if anybody out there wants to shout me a couple of hundred thousand dollars, I'll take that beautiful Skylark and a bunch of guitars please!

Neil Young 2017

"Julien’s Auctions has announced that PROPERTY FROM THE COLLECTION OF NEIL YOUNG will close the world-record breaking auction house’s 2017 season on December 9, 2017. Property from the two time inducted Rock and Roll Hall of Fame legend will be presented in a single owner sale, and include his extraordinary personal collection of model trains, classic cars, guitars, recording gear, clothing, memorabilia and more. Over 200 items from Young’s vast Lionel train collection will be presented, featuring dozens of rare and unique items such as prototypes for Lionel production locomotives and rolling stock, many of them from the fabled Lionel archives. Highlights include the Lionel 773 New York Central Hudson Factory Prototype locomotive ($10,000-$20,000), the Lionel Western Pacific "1954" Blue Feather Boxcar Factory Prototype (estimate: $5,000-$10,000); the Lionel Santa Fe "Clear Shell" F-3 locomotive (estimate: $3,000-$5,000) and the HORDE Tour Psychedelic Vanderbilt Hudson locomotive (estimate: $12,000-$15,000) that ran in a layout Young brought to the Horizons of Rock Developing Everywhere Tour.

Neil Young’s classic cars, that served as muses many of his songs are featured including a 1948 Buick Roadmaster Hearse built by Flxible (estimate: $8,000-$10,000) identical to the one used by Young and his band, The Squires, to haul their equipment to gigs in the early 1960's, decorated with backstage passes and bumper stickers and served as the theme of Young's song, "Long May You Run;" a 1953 Buick Roadmaster code 76X Skylark Convertible Buick's 50th anniversary special edition, (total production 1,690) with a steering wheel hub that denotes "customized for Neil Young" (estimate: $100,000-$130,000) and a 1941 Chrysler Series 28 Windsor Highlander 2-Door 3-Person Coupe (estimate: $15,000-$20,000), considered the most prestigious model Chrysler had to offer.

Studio gear, recording equipment and instruments featured include two Studer A800 Mark III Master recorders known as 'The Twins' and used together in Young's studio (estimate: $10,000-$12,000); four Marshall Full Stack Amplifiers (estimates ranging from $2,000-$3,500); a 1935 Martin F-7 acoustic guitar (estimate: $4,000-$4,500); a 1965 Gibson ES-345 left handed electric guitar, with a Varitone, original tailpiece, original pickguard, a strap and a handwritten chord chart (estimate: $3,500-$5,000); a 1999 Gretsch White Falcon SS (estimate: $2,000-$2,500) sixteen Universal Audio 610 preamp console modules (estimate: $9,000-$12,000) and a hurdy gurdy used on Young's song "Red Sun" from his album Silver and Gold (estimate: $200-$400). Young's clothing worn on stage and at events will also make an appearance including an Abercrombie & Fitch red and blue plaid flannel shirt worn in a performance with Paul McCartney at a benefit concert for the Bridge School (estimate: $300-$500); a tan and cream striped seersucker J. Crew jacket, worn in a performance at Hard Rock live in Hollywood, Florida (estimate: $400-$600) as well as bolo ties and designer jackets."

Check out the full catalogue here:

http://www.juliensauctions.com/auctions/2017/neil-young/icatalog-accept.html
    Wow..... Anyone else find this a little unsettling? Seems like he's kind of cleaning house in preparation for the inevitable/lightening his load ... I actually really admire people who do that. It's just that it also makes me think about what they're ultimately preparing for, and it makes me sad.