Boston Red Sox

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Piss up a rope.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Great win last night.
    Very good starting pitching on this team.

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Certainly looks like Dumbo was right in not rescinding the Pomeranz trade when he had the chance.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    Certainly looks like Dumbo was right in not rescinding the Pomeranz trade when he had the chance.
    Well the guy they traded Espinoza just had Tommy John surgery this month.
    He will miss the rest of this year (did not throw 1 pitch) and most likely all of 2018.
    Yeah that trade worked out quite well.

I think Dave D has done a great job.
    He got Chris Sale on the team. Yeah He's pretty good.
    Moncada is hitting under .200 for Chicago.

People really bashed him for the Shaw trade.
    Maybe just maybe the GM of the Sox had a pretty good idea that Devers was special player and Shaw blocked him.

He also got Nunez and Reed for very little.
    I'm quite happy with the man you call "Dumbo",

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Hey fellas, you notice how the Yankees catcher took his mask off today before he got in a fight?  Just sayin...
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Blown out tonight. It happens over 162.
    Hey fellas, you notice how the Yankees catcher took his mask off today before he got in a fight?  Just sayin...
    Just watched the film of your DH Gary Sanchez throwing not one but two cheap shots at guys on the ground. Real classy.
    Just sayin...
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Hi Dan! is your avatar a commentary on the sox, the world or your life?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Poncier said:
    He will miss the rest of this year (did not throw 1 pitch) and most likely all of 2018.

Maybe just maybe the GM of the Sox had a pretty good idea that Devers was special player and Shaw blocked him.

I wouldn't call it a great tenure thus far. Mediocre. Some good to great moves, some bad to awful moves.
    Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

TBD: Reed

So-so: Moreland
    I am hoping for Sale to not win a World Series and Moncada to be an MVP
    Piss off!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Piss off!
    Later
    dankind said:
    Piss off!
    Later
    And while you're at it, you can take your ghost peppers and shove 'em straight up your ass!

https://youtu.be/h2xu1lyhcNU

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Piss off!
    Later
    And while you're at it, you can take your ghost peppers and shove 'em straight up your ass!

https://youtu.be/h2xu1lyhcNU

:smiley:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

I wouldn't call it a great tenure thus far. Mediocre. Some good to great moves, some bad to awful moves.
    Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

They traded Wade Miley for Carson Smith.
    Miley is no longer on the Red Sox.
    Someone else actually took his contract.
    If that's bad you really don't know what you are talking about.

Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

And what production have they gotten from Carson Smith?
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

So you must think the Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawford trade was a bad trade because the 5 players we got back from LA did nothing also.
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

So you must think the Beckett, Gonzalez and Crawford trade was a bad trade because the 5 players we got back from LA did nothing also.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

Of his major moves:

Good:
    Sale
    Pomeranz
    Kimbrel
    Nunez

Bad:
    Price
    Carson Smith
    Thornburg

Very different circumstances. That trade was made specifically to shed contract (and a couple of problem children).The Smith trade was made to get an 8th inning guy for the bullpen. Unloading Miley's salary while helpful was by no means a priority, he made 6Mil last year, a tick under 9 this year(and then he's done, next year is a club option they'd have declined), nothing that would have any major impact on the Sox. They didn't trade him to save 15Mil like they traded Crawford and company to save $250 Mil.
    If you think trading Miley was about shedding salary, perhaps you don't know what you're talking about. The trade was about getting that 8th inning guy, and when he failed to pitch (2.2 innings over 2 seasons thus far, not a great return), the bullpen was thrown out of whack, forcing moves like using Kimbrel for more than 3 outs on occasions last year, and trading for guys like Abad and Ziegler last year, then trading for Thornberg this year (and that one has worked out even worse as he has spent the season sipping pina coladas with Smith while Travis Shaw has lit up the NL and the Sox have tried everyone from Panda to dankind to fill the void at 3rd base) and then ultimately Addison Reed. So if you think the Carson Smith trade was good, so be it. I don't see it that way. It thrust the back end of the bullpen into a year and a half of chaos that hopefully now is solved by the addition of Reed. 4 further trades required to maybe solve the problem of Smith being unable to pitch. Not a good deal. Sorry. Have a good weekend, go Sox, go Pats.

edited September 2017

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Dusty!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Sox could use a nice blowout win today. Giterdun.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• And what production have they gotten from Carson Smith?

Very different circumstances. That trade was made specifically to shed contract (and a couple of problem children).The Smith trade was made to get an 8th inning guy for the bullpen. Unloading Miley's salary while helpful was by no means a priority, he made 6Mil last year, a tick under 9 this year(and then he's done, next year is a club option they'd have declined), nothing that would have any major impact on the Sox. They didn't trade him to save 15Mil like they traded Crawford and company to save $250 Mil.
    If you think trading Miley was about shedding salary, perhaps you don't know what you're talking about. The trade was about getting that 8th inning guy, and when he failed to pitch (2.2 innings over 2 seasons thus far, not a great return), the bullpen was thrown out of whack, forcing moves like using Kimbrel for more than 3 outs on occasions last year, and trading for guys like Abad and Ziegler last year, then trading for Thornberg this year (and that one has worked out even worse as he has spent the season sipping pina coladas with Smith while Travis Shaw has lit up the NL and the Sox have tried everyone from Panda to dankind to fill the void at 3rd base) and then ultimately Addison Reed. So if you think the Carson Smith trade was good, so be it. I don't see it that way. It thrust the back end of the bullpen into a year and a half of chaos that hopefully now is solved by the addition of Reed. 4 further trades required to maybe solve the problem of Smith being unable to pitch. Not a good deal. Sorry. Have a good weekend, go Sox, go Pats.

Right now the best pitchers on the Boston Red Sox are Sale, Pomeranz, Fister, Reed and Kimbrel.
    All five were aquired by Dave D in the last two years because the Red Sox had had a awful time at developing pitchers.
    The bottom line is this.
    Red Sox 2014 - last place
    Red Sox 2015 - last place
    Red Sox 2016 - first place
    Red Sox 2017 - first place - so far
    Not sure how you can argue that.

I do believe I said Sale, Pomeranz and Kimbrel were good deals. I said it was too early to tell on Reed. (He's pitched well since I said that).

But you have to acknowledge the guy has had several bad deals as well. And has drained a lot out of the farm system.

Poncier said:

I do believe I said Sale, Pomeranz and Kimbrel were good deals. I said it was too early to tell on Reed. (He's pitched well since I said that).

But you have to acknowledge the guy has had several bad deals as well. And has drained a lot out of the farm system.

That's his MO, draining the farm systems
  • The June swoon came late this year.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I SAW PEARL JAM