Dave Matthews Band

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I liked these guys a lot early on. What happened?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,173
    brianlux said:

We got older, their fan base stayed the same age.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,864
    Also they started writing shitty songs.
  • I think these guys are awesome.

I love seeing them at the Gorge every year and am disappointed they aren't there this year. It's such a great event.

The band has a great sound. The band is accessible. The band plays very well. The band mixes up their setlists. They've got a massive catalogue. They're not pretentious in the slightest.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,594

brianlux said:

We got older, their fan base stayed the same age.
    alright alright alright.

I think these guys are awesome.

I love seeing them at the Gorge every year and am disappointed they aren't there this year. It's such a great event.

The band has a great sound. The band is accessible. The band plays very well. The band mixes up their setlists. They've got a massive catalogue. They're not pretentious in the slightest.

I think they are excellent and unique performers too. Maybe I just burned out on them between 95 and 02, but everything after the Lillywhite Sessions is kinda garbage. I'll give them maybe a dozen good songs post that period, but half of them weren't even recorded. This is a band that got too far in their own heads and started not being interesting because of it.

• erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    As far as post Lillywhtite DMB is concerned: I really enjoy Big Whiskey and the Little Red Bird e.p. Away from the World didn't really grab me as much, but it was alright. Everyday- To me, was Daves 1st solo record. I don't own it. The Folsom Field show is great, though and has a lot of the Everyday material. Stand Up had some good songs on it, but no real flow as an album to me. Joyride was on a special edition somewhere and that's one of my favorites.

Everything up to and including, the Lillywhite Sessions, is damn near perfect. Busted Stuff is okay and I mainly listen to it for the 2 songs written and recorded for it. I doubt I'll ever go see them live again, unfortunately. Every show I've went to there has been at least 1 drunken idiot that wants to fight.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    They have a pre-order for a 5 LP 25th anniversary set limited to 2500. Pretty steep at $175, though. Pre-order ends Wednesday the 12th.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • dpduke69dpduke69 Raleigh, NC Posts: 187
    Tough concert year without PJ or DMB to follow around. D&T was a cool change this summer though.
    2013: Charlotte
    2016: Greenville Columbia
  • dpduke69 said:
    Tough concert year without PJ or DMB to follow around. D&T was a cool change this summer though.
    I'm used to no PJ.

It was shitty without DMB. I love going to the Gorge the last weekend of summer and watching them.

I can't really complain though: RHCP, U2, Tool in the bag. Tom Petty, GnR, and Metallica to come.

dpduke69 said:
    I'm used to no PJ.

It was shitty without DMB. I love going to the Gorge the last weekend of summer and watching them.

I can't really complain though: RHCP, U2, Tool in the bag. Tom Petty, GnR, and Metallica to come.

I guess I can't complain either since I'm seeing/have seen RHCP, U2, Tom Petty and GN'R this year lol
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Why didn't these guys break internationally? Seems to be really confined to the US (or NA)... just like Tyler Perry-movies and Blackberry.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    I don't think they put in the time touring there. I know they did do some euro tours, but not like they toured here. On top of that, they came along in the US right as grunge burned out and the Dead ended leaving upper middle class collegiate white kids with nowhere to turn to so that sort of music took over (Hootie, Phish was blowing up huge, Blues Traveller, etc). I don't think Europe really got down with that vibe.

Hell, I'd posit most of their international tour dates were for American kids studying overseas.

I think the basic answer is their sound and their timing wasn't right for Europe/Rest of the world. I think they tour decent sized places there every few years.

• JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    If anyone cares the DMB Live 25 set sold out.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    Was there ever a studio version of that song Idea of You? I was at it's debut years ago in Indiana, knew it was a hit if released to radio, yet I have not seen it on any albums or outtakes since then. 
    Thats probably one of maybe ten songs of theirs I've enjoyed since Busted Stuff. 
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    Awesome package deal to see Dave and Tim in Mexico
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Was before these crowded streets or busted stuff ever released on vinyl?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,225
    BTCS was
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    I saw Dave & Tim on their first tour back in the 90s. Jesse Auditorium University of Missouri. Some of the best acoustic guitar work I've ever heard. Got DMB fan club seats from a record rep back in 2002 for a show in Camden. Some frat boy barfed all over us & the people in our section 3 songs in. Left immediately & haven't seen DMB since. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    Was there ever a studio version of that song Idea of You? I was at it's debut years ago in Indiana, knew it was a hit if released to radio, yet I have not seen it on any albums or outtakes since then. 
    Thats probably one of maybe ten songs of theirs I've enjoyed since Busted Stuff. 
    Best I can tell, no. It wasn't. 

And thats at s the story of post 2000 DMB. Great songs debuted live, forgotten in the studio and we get sub part stuff instead. 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    one of the most shit i ever saw live!!1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFoKnSD-4wU
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

Indeed
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    Those box set shipping tomorrow still?

Those box set shipping tomorrow still?

I hope so. That's what it originally said.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136

Say what?
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • one of the most shit i ever saw live!!1

Please explain.

Thanks!
    I took it as a good thing.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
    Mexico trip booked! Had a 5 year service award at work to pay for airfare so why not start 2018 off right?!
    Just received a shipping notice for the DMB25 vinyl set.

Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I've never seen DMB live.  It's a close call, but I'd venture to say I was just as big a DMB fan in the 90s as I was Pearl Jam.  Definitely not so much these days as Before These Crowded Streets was the last album I really took in.  I would like to see them at some point, I just worry that I won't know about 90% of the setlist.