America's Gun Violence

Comments

• Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    here is another duck.  use it to copy and paste with your other cut and paste thoughts when asked to think outside the box.  free on me

the whole moving train and it's threads are just a bunch of ducks floating around in a amusement park pond
    ^ Post above wasn't user specific.  Applies to all.

Quack.
    Clark is Jones ... Jones is Clark ... 

• cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    sad day today.

this shooter was a troubled man. he was a gun owner who beat his wife. statistics say that people who own guns and are domestic abusers are more likely to have anger issues and are more capable of doing this kind of thing.

true the guy supported sanders. sanders has condemned it. most of us on the left have condemned it. this is not how you make your point. i dislike scalise a great deal, but i do not want harm to come to him. i saw an article that republican congressmen are receiving threats now. one received an email that said "one down, 213 to go." this is not how you make the change you want to see.

that said, i can understand where this guy is coming from. trump lost the popular vote by 3 million people. more people voted for democrats for the house and senate than republicans, yet the republicans hold both houses due to gerrymandering. trump won with the assistance of the russians and comey. the gop is wanting to take his health care away while cutting taxes for the rich and cutting benefits for the poor. i understand the guy is angry and i understand how it feels when congress does what it wants and does not listen to the people. he probably has zero faith in the electoral process. probably felt that even it the dems win by a greater margin in 2018 they will still lose because the districts are rigged in favor of republicans. he probably felt helpless and pissed off as a result. you have fox news and their pundits talking about second amendment remedies last year, and this guy went ahead and did it. he probably felt like he had no other recourse and wanted to make a statement. that to me is what terrorism is. this guy is a white, leftist terrorist.

i feel bad for those that died and hope that the wounded can fully recover.

i am not supporting this person at all. i am just saying i can understand his frustration with the system. 
    I appreciate your honesty in this, and I read this 2x before commenting....but I have no idea how you can understand where he is coming from.  I don't. I don't understand the need to shoot people I disagree with. I find it absurd actually.  So I personally have no idea where this guy was coming from and don't think he should get any level of support/sympathy....can't think of the right word. I honestly can't for the life of me figure how you could write this about this guy.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    sad day today.

this shooter was a troubled man. he was a gun owner who beat his wife. statistics say that people who own guns and are domestic abusers are more likely to have anger issues and are more capable of doing this kind of thing.

true the guy supported sanders. sanders has condemned it. most of us on the left have condemned it. this is not how you make your point. i dislike scalise a great deal, but i do not want harm to come to him. i saw an article that republican congressmen are receiving threats now. one received an email that said "one down, 213 to go." this is not how you make the change you want to see.

that said, i can understand where this guy is coming from. trump lost the popular vote by 3 million people. more people voted for democrats for the house and senate than republicans, yet the republicans hold both houses due to gerrymandering. trump won with the assistance of the russians and comey. the gop is wanting to take his health care away while cutting taxes for the rich and cutting benefits for the poor. i understand the guy is angry and i understand how it feels when congress does what it wants and does not listen to the people. he probably has zero faith in the electoral process. probably felt that even it the dems win by a greater margin in 2018 they will still lose because the districts are rigged in favor of republicans. he probably felt helpless and pissed off as a result. you have fox news and their pundits talking about second amendment remedies last year, and this guy went ahead and did it. he probably felt like he had no other recourse and wanted to make a statement. that to me is what terrorism is. this guy is a white, leftist terrorist.

i am not supporting this person at all. i am just saying i can understand his frustration with the system. 
    I appreciate your honesty in this, and I read this 2x before commenting....but I have no idea how you can understand where he is coming from.  I don't. I don't understand the need to shoot people I disagree with. I find it absurd actually.  So I personally have no idea where this guy was coming from and don't think he should get any level of support/sympathy....can't think of the right word. I honestly can't for the life of me figure how you could write this about this guy.
    100% agree. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    sad day today.

i did not say he deserves any support or sympathy. i was expressing empathy and trying to see where he may have been coming from and what his motive was. big difference.

where did i say i understand his need to shoot people he disagrees with? my words in my post, to your words in yours, is quite a stretch.

all i said is i understood his anger and frustration with a system that is working against him. i also called him a white, leftist terrorist, because that is what he was. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    sad day today.

I understand it. People are pushed to do extreme things all the time. 

dignin said:
    sad day today.

How was he pushed? He wasn't. He's just a bully with a gun that couldn't stand people that disagreed with him.
    hippiemom = goodness

sad day today.

i did not say he deserves any support or sympathy. i was expressing empathy and trying to see where he may have been coming from and what his motive was. big difference.

where did i say i understand his need to shoot people he disagrees with? my words in my post, to your words in yours, is quite a stretch.

all i said is i understood his anger and frustration with a system that is working against him. i also called him a white, leftist terrorist, because that is what he was. 
     I said I couldn't think of the right word...regardless I don't have any empathy for this guy and can't see how anyone does.  What about him makes you feel empathy for him based on his actions?

Sitting there thinking about why this guy was driven to do this and showing any level of understanding is making a BIG leap. He got mad and shot people, bottom line. So, anytime anyone gets mad it's ok?

hippiemom = goodness
    dignin said:
    sad day today.

How was he pushed? He wasn't. He's just a bully with a gun that couldn't stand people that disagreed with him.
    In his mind he was.  I don't see the world as simply as you do I guess.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130

sad day today.

I said I couldn't think of the right word...regardless I don't have any empathy for this guy and can't see how anyone does.  What about him makes you feel empathy for him based on his actions?

Sitting there thinking about why this guy was driven to do this and showing any level of understanding is making a BIG leap. He got mad and shot people, bottom line. So, anytime anyone gets mad it's ok?

nobody is excusing what he did. i called him a lefty terrorist. 

maybe i feel a bit of empathy because i am an angry white guy. maybe i feel like my government is not working for me. maybe i feel like the federal government is making a fool out of every single one of us. maybe i feel like the rhetoric from the right is fightin words and i have had enough. maybe i don't. i am fascinated by motivations and why people do what they do. i am in no way excusing what he did, nor am i advocating what he did, nor am i saying i would do what he did. just trying to put myself in his shoes because that is what i do. if you can't or won't or don't do that sort of thing, good on ya i guess. i seek understanding. maybe that is what we need more of, because god sure as hell knows we can't be any more divided than we are now.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    sad day today.

In his mind he was.  I don't see the world as simply as you do I guess.
    By what? I'm sure in his mind he was, cause he was a crazy bully.
    hippiemom = goodness
    edited June 2017

sad day today.

nobody is excusing what he did. i called him a lefty terrorist. 

maybe i feel a bit of empathy because i am an angry white guy. maybe i feel like my government is not working for me. maybe i feel like the federal government is making a fool out of every single one of us. maybe i feel like the rhetoric from the right is fightin words and i have had enough. maybe i don't. i am fascinated by motivations and why people do what they do. i am in no way excusing what he did, nor am i advocating what he did, nor am i saying i would do what he did. just trying to put myself in his shoes because that is what i do. if you can't or won't or don't do that sort of thing, good on ya i guess. i seek understanding. maybe that is what we need more of, because god sure as hell knows we can't be any more divided than we are now.
    I'm not trying to make it out that you are ok with what he did. And I see times where it's appropriate to put yourself in someone else's shoes. This ain't one of them in my opinion. I get why he did it in his mind (based on his own words on the internet).....but he was just a crazy bully.  
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I think I get what gimme is getting at, but it's hard to explain. I also don't think this happens if Trump was trying to unite the country, but he perpetuates hate and divisiveness. He alone has a chance to make crazed people like this guy today feel like we're moving to something besides civil war. Yes, the shooter (I refuse to give him any glory and name him) is responsible for his actions, but we know mentally severed and damaged people will react this way when pushed to their wits end. Jeremy fucking spoke today and it wasn't himself he took it out on.

Guarantee, lots of mentally unstable people will see this as the beginning to this type of action. Trump must step up and put his fucking egotistical attitude behind him and speak to all people for once. He is the catalyst.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Scalise...A+ NRA rating....oh, the irony.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    HE IS NOT OK WITH WHAT HE DID

Judas Priest

Smellyman said:
    HE IS NOT OK WITH WHAT HE DID

Judas Priest

No shit. Not my point. Jesus H Christ 
    hippiemom = goodness

tbergs said:
    I think I get what gimme is getting at, but it's hard to explain. I also don't think this happens if Trump was trying to unite the country, but he perpetuates hate and divisiveness. He alone has a chance to make crazed people like this guy today feel like we're moving to something besides civil war. Yes, the shooter (I refuse to give him any glory and name him) is responsible for his actions, but we know mentally severed and damaged people will react this way when pushed to their wits end. Jeremy fucking spoke today and it wasn't himself he took it out on.

Guarantee, lots of mentally unstable people will see this as the beginning to this type of action. Trump must step up and put his fucking egotistical attitude behind him and speak to all people for once. He is the catalyst.
    I think just about everyone in Washington owns this a little. They have created an atmosphere (along with the media and fostered by social media that allows people to find others doing the same crazy things they are doing and making it seem normal).

The politicians have been demonizing their opponents. Even Bernie who I don't like but think is likely a very nice guy trying to do what he thinks is best demonizes the rich and creates victims to drive voters and volunteers....like this guy. Not an intended consequence...but it opens the flood gates for the crazies. Just like trump did...trump to a higher degree.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588

sad day today.

Having empathy isn't saying something's okay. We don't progress as people without empathy. 
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    Hundreds of kids and action is taken to try and prevent it from occurring. Tens of thousands of victims every year, year after year and crickets. Guess those 20 kids in Sandy Hook didn't matter much?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/06/14/hundreds-of-children-have-died-in-hot-cars-new-bill-aims-to-stop-this-horror/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_hotcars819pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.5292871d9a42Love 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Wobbie said:
    Scalise...A+ NRA rating....oh, the irony.
    Has absolutely nothing to do with it.  I hate the NRA but this comparison is ridiculous.  

sad day today.

Having empathy isn't saying something's okay. We don't progress as people without empathy. 
    And clearly not everyone deserves empathy.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    It'd be nice if both sides got together and actually game up with some ideas.  Registration of all gun sales would be a nice start.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    This continues the trend of the violent policies and reactions of the left.  Temper tantrums that actually harm people.
    unsung said:
    This continues the trend of the violent policies and reactions of the left.  Temper tantrums that actually harm people.
    Haha, you should post a made up meme to back up that "trend". 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,425
    unsung said:
    waiting to see what kind of actions the poorer of trumps supporters take when they begin to get fucked over by hom and the gop.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mcgruff10 said:
    It'd be nice if both sides got together and actually game up with some ideas.  Registration of all gun sales would be a nice start.
    Agree.  But look at recent history.  We had a mass killing of little kids....6-7 years old and it resulted in nothing.......unbelievable.
    hippiemom = goodness
    mcgruff10 said:
    If Sandy Hook couldn't do it, this won't.
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Dude lived just outside of St Louis, MO.  How many times do you think he saw this:
    https://youtu.be/0-VfFi6Z14Q
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
This discussion has been closed.