America's Gun Violence

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    riley540 said:
    Gotta think about why the founders put in the 2nd amendment. That's the answer 

Because they were all wealthy white men who wanted to be able to protect what they saw as theirs by right?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    dudeman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:
    New to this conversation :) 

i grew up in Anchorage Alaska. Now I, myself have shot guns and everything, but have no desire to ever own one, but I will say that I grew up around a lot of responsible gun owners. Growing up, I was taught how to safely handle a gun instead of being taught to fear a gun. I understand the outrage because bad people have easy access to guns, and it needs to stop. But I also full heatedly want to keep guns in the hands of my fellow Alaskans who's use them responsibly. I know all kinds of people who like to collect fire arms, people that like to go hunting, people that go to the range for fun, and even people who just like to have one in their car when they go out at night. All very good people. My girlfriend recently said she wants to get education on how to properly handle a gun and I fully support her. We can all co-exist. Not all gun owners are bad 
    True, people can co exist, but guns and people have been incompatible for a few hundred years already. Stricter gun laws will possibly lower incidents of shootings, but we're never going to end the problem until one of us ceases to exist. All of our efforts are merely bandaids on an already severed head and there's lots of blood to soak up these days.
    I just fear that if guns are harder to get, then only the out laws are going to have guns. Might as well just keep the good people armed at this point. 
    Depends on what you mean by "harder to get."

I find it absolutely outrageous that any person in this country who wants to operate a motor vehicle has to go through a basic training class, a written test, be placed on a provisional period, pass another written test, and a physical driving test to do so and no one bats an eye.  But mention you want to do the same type of process with guns and oh my lord it's the end of the free fucking world.
    Tons of people are killed each year in cars. You have to be 18 to buy a gun. Driving and owning a car is not a constitutionally protected right.

We've been over this a lot in this thread. Driving cars and the regulations that apply are not comparable to gun ownership in this country. 
    And apparently you're still missing the point.  When did I say anything that infringed upon the 2nd Amendment rights of the people?  I didn't.  Nothing I said would keep anyone who legally wanted to own a gun from owning a gun.  You wouldn't want someone driving a car who isn't trained properly on how to drive and who doesn't understand the rules of the road.  Just asking for better regulations and licensing.
    The right is so hell-bent on notions of a "strong vetting process" except for when it comes to muh gunz.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    holy shit the shooter's facebook profile is all Bernie Sanders
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    dudeman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

i grew up in Anchorage Alaska. Now I, myself have shot guns and everything, but have no desire to ever own one, but I will say that I grew up around a lot of responsible gun owners. Growing up, I was taught how to safely handle a gun instead of being taught to fear a gun. I understand the outrage because bad people have easy access to guns, and it needs to stop. But I also full heatedly want to keep guns in the hands of my fellow Alaskans who's use them responsibly. I know all kinds of people who like to collect fire arms, people that like to go hunting, people that go to the range for fun, and even people who just like to have one in their car when they go out at night. All very good people. My girlfriend recently said she wants to get education on how to properly handle a gun and I fully support her. We can all co-exist. Not all gun owners are bad 
    True, people can co exist, but guns and people have been incompatible for a few hundred years already. Stricter gun laws will possibly lower incidents of shootings, but we're never going to end the problem until one of us ceases to exist. All of our efforts are merely bandaids on an already severed head and there's lots of blood to soak up these days.
    I just fear that if guns are harder to get, then only the out laws are going to have guns. Might as well just keep the good people armed at this point. 

I find it absolutely outrageous that any person in this country who wants to operate a motor vehicle has to go through a basic training class, a written test, be placed on a provisional period, pass another written test, and a physical driving test to do so and no one bats an eye.  But mention you want to do the same type of process with guns and oh my lord it's the end of the free fucking world.
    Tons of people are killed each year in cars. You have to be 18 to buy a gun. Driving and owning a car is not a constitutionally protected right.

We've been over this a lot in this thread. Driving cars and the regulations that apply are not comparable to gun ownership in this country. 
    And apparently you're still missing the point.  When did I say anything that infringed upon the 2nd Amendment rights of the people?  I didn't.  Nothing I said would keep anyone who legally wanted to own a gun from owning a gun.  You wouldn't want someone driving a car who isn't trained properly on how to drive and who doesn't understand the rules of the road.  Just asking for better regulations and licensing.
    The right is so hell-bent on notions of a "strong vetting process" except for when it comes to muh gunz.
    I agree with that. I'd be behind a mandatory firearms training and/or safety course before you can legally purchase a gun. It's not infringing on anyone's right to own one, unless you prove that you're unsafe.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    ponytd said:
    dudeman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

I agree with that. I'd be behind a mandatory firearms training and/or safety course before you can legally purchase a gun. It's not infringing on anyone's right to own one, unless you prove that you're unsafe.
    What about age restrictions on usage?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,786
    Michigan Rep. Mike Bishop (R) tells WWJ Newsradio 950  

“He had a rifle that was clearly meant for the job of taking people out, multiple casualties, and he had several rounds and magazines that he kept unloading and reloading.”

That's impossible.  I have been informed on many occasions that guns are strictly for game hunting and target practice. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653
    tbergs said:
    ponytd said:
    dudeman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    riley540 said:

What about age restrictions on usage?
    For buying a gun? they can be kept the same as they are now.  Here in TN, you have to be 18 to purchase a shotgun or hunting rifle, but 21 for handguns. If you're under whatever age is set, but like to go hunting, currently you can't legally purchase a gun, but you have to pass a hunter safety course before you can go and have to have a hunting license. Wouldn't be much of a change for that, except you'd throw in a gun safety course with that hunting safety course (although many incorporate that in there already) for children.
    edited June 2017
    This just in: Citizen exercises second amendment rights to protect themselves from government tyranny.  GOP reportedly confused.

Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Not a surprise.  First it was Fox news creating haters and eliminating rational discussion and then MSNBC took over.   

Fox News + MSNBC + stupid gun laws + social media = crazy people killing others.  

Its awful.  No discussion, just hate.  All "my team vs your team".  Its either a win or a loss, no more win-wins.  I wonder if anywhere on that facebook had him praising kathy Griffin.....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Looks like it was a nutjob Bernie Sanders supporter.

Not a surprise.  First it was Fox news creating haters and eliminating rational discussion and then MSNBC took over.   

Fox News + MSNBC + stupid gun laws + social media = crazy people killing others.  

Its awful.  No discussion, just hate.  All "my team vs your team".  Its either a win or a loss, no more win-wins.  I wonder if anywhere on that facebook had him praising kathy Griffin.....
    It looks like he hated Hillary as much as Trump

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    CM189191 said:
    This just in: Citizen exercises second amendment rights to protect themselves from government tyranny.  GOP reportedly confused.

I would say "Left wing terrorist asshole perpetuates politically charged shooting at sporting event (where it is usually illegal to carry for self defense, btw).
    CM189191 said:
    reset the clock
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html?ICID=ref_fark
    Why weren't any of these people armed to defend themselves while they were trying to enjoy a nice softball game?
    No shit...all of those snowflake republicans should have been packing heat
    Aren't sporting events considered "Gun Free Zones" in most states?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Why are we not calling the shooter a terrorist?
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    dignin said:
    I think we know the answer to that. Had this man been Muslim, we'd already have a tweet from the President about how we need a travel ban to keep us safe. But since it's a white guy with a gun...radio silence about keeping us safe. 
    dignin said:
    ter·ror·ist
    ˈterərəst
    noun
    1. a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

pa·tri·ot
    ˈpātrēət
    noun
    1. a person who vigorously supports their country and is prepared to defend it against enemies or detractors.

Could either way, really
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    I think we know the answer to that. Had this man been Muslim, we'd already have a tweet from the President about how we need a travel ban to keep us safe. But since it's a white guy with a gun...radio silence about keeping us safe. 
    Yup, it's just an unforeseen tragedy.  He's a madman, lone gunman. Thoughts and prayers.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    reset the clock
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14/virginia-gop-baseball-practice-shooting-multiple-people-shot.html?ICID=ref_fark
    Why weren't any of these people armed to defend themselves while they were trying to enjoy a nice softball game?
    This wasn't a sporting event. It was like going to a community park. The shooter wouldn't have gotten in to a sporting event along with the rest of the gun toting protectors you're advocating for. Either way, people with guns were right there and several were still shot. Fortunately no one has been fatally shot. 2nd amendment doesn't protect anyone in this instance.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    reset the clock
    This wasn't a sporting event. It was like going to a community park. The shooter wouldn't have gotten in to a sporting event along with the rest of the gun toting protectors you're advocating for. Either way, people with guns were right there and several were still shot. Fortunately no one has been fatally shot. 2nd amendment doesn't protect anyone in this instance.
    also, people with guns = trained security there to protect Congressmen

It is my understanding that at least one person was fatally shot
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    Yup, it's just an unforeseen tragedy.  He's a madman, lone gunman. Thoughts and prayers.

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Shooter has been identified.

I SAW PEARL JAM
    lol - republicans blaming Kathy Griffin and The Public Theater
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    dignin said:
    And why don't we know what religion he is?
    edited June 2017
    tbergs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    CM189191 said:
    reset the clock
    Well, if he had not been "engaged immediately" by someone else with a gun, do you not think the results might have been different?  He probably would have walked around finishing people off as seen in other incidents where gunmen faced no opposition.  "Good guys" with guns most likely saved several lives in this situation.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    Yep.  The "liberal media" is going to have a field day with this.  

The "resistance" just took a few steps back.  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
    OnWis97 said:
    Yep.  The "liberal media" is going to have a field day with this.  

The "resistance" just took a few steps back.  
    The resistance didn't do anything. It's not defined by how some right wing folks want to continually grasp at singular events to confirm their belief system. 
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    dignin said:

Is a terrorist organization taking credit for the attack?  Less then 12 hours in.  Should wait and see

Perhaps it was the Sons of the Harpies?
    Jason P said:
    dignin said:

Is a terrorist organization taking credit for the attack?  Less then 12 hours in.  Should wait and see

Perhaps it was the Sons of the Harpies?
    The accepted definition of terrorist now is that you only need to be "influenced" by a terrorist group. Of course that depends on what religion the perpetrator is.  
    Another shooting at UPS in Cali

This discussion has been closed.