RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Blasting Long Road for CC.  9/11 tribute version 
    That's an amazing version!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • dospawndospawn Posts: 210
    Blasting Long Road for CC.  9/11 tribute version 
    I've been listening to this version on repeat. REM and Eddie. Not the best sound quality but it makes me feel better.

https://youtu.be/BKsQEhSogDU
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Can anyone grab me a copy of the Kerrang issue with Chris on the cover?  Never made it here to our bookstore.  
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Thank you. I loved this video. Made me smile and also shed a couple of tears.

I haven't really listened to any of his music since the news broke, I always loved this video, but like you said, a quick smile soon turned to tears.  Still struggling to wrap my head around this, seems totally surreal.  Just so fucking sad.

some crazy stuff going on.  He didnt deserve this ending. 
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Agreed
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    edited June 2017
    'Right Turn' by Alice In Chains just randomly came my iPod. I always remember Mark Arm's guest spot the most, his vocals are just so dark. I'd almost forgotten Chris was on this one.

Then he starts his verse with "I'm 'bout as low as I can get..." and it completely floored me...

https://youtu.be/QoHsR4IlUk8
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    mwplum said:
    Sprunkn7 said:
    Hopefully with the reports all wrapped up it will help heal this wound.  
    Unfortunately I don't think that's the case. Won't post anything here that is based on speculation, but thankfully there is still an ongoing investigation.
    An investigation on what?  Speculation on what?  Sounds to me he took a mixture of medications and at that moment he ended his life. I'm sad about it but there is no one to blame here.
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Sprunkn7 said:
    mwplum said:
    Sprunkn7 said:
    Unfortunately I don't think that's the case. Won't post anything here that is based on speculation, but thankfully there is still an ongoing investigation.
    An investigation on what?  Speculation on what?  Sounds to me he took a mixture of medications and at that moment he ended his life. I'm sad about it but there is no one to blame here.
    speculation that it was an accident. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Sprunkn7 said:
    mwplum said:
    Sprunkn7 said:
    speculation that it was an accident. 
    That is usually a possibility when someone supposedly unexpectedly killed themselves without witnesses or a note.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited June 2017
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
    This is a very difficult time and while it’s understandable to look for answers to make sense of this tragedy please be mindful of what you post. Respectfully, please leave gossip and innuendo where it belongs (not here).
    Thank you.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    edited June 2017
    Seeing the light :)

*edit - posted this after shedding many a tear, then finding happiness.

Such is life?  And after...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMYJqw552ws

And then.......ahhh, bless Chris.  May his soul be at peace.

No more hiding.  Bring on the love.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I952VR0sGfE

Post edited by hedonist on
  • ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
     The best ever. Thank you for sharing everything you gave. 
                     Set it off. 
  • hemisphirehemisphire Posts: 19
    Angelbear said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDym1NvxU6Q
    "I promise it's not Goodbye", 

Chris Cornell co-writes song with fan, "It was a pleasure to put it to music and an honor that he ask if I would ever consider it" Chris Cornell on the poem I Promise It's Not Goodbye, written by Rory de la Rosa

Oh man, that's great. I went looking for the song and found out he used to offer the mp3 on his website, but the link is broken now: https://web.archive.org/web/20091105184442/http://www.chriscornell.com:80/ipromiseitsnotgoodbye/Default.aspx

Does anyone have it that might share?

Angelbear said:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDym1NvxU6Q
    "I promise it's not Goodbye", 

Chris Cornell co-writes song with fan, "It was a pleasure to put it to music and an honor that he ask if I would ever consider it" Chris Cornell on the poem I Promise It's Not Goodbye, written by Rory de la Rosa

Oh man, that's great. I went looking for the song and found out he used to offer the mp3 on his website, but the link is broken now: https://web.archive.org/web/20091105184442/http://www.chriscornell.com:80/ipromiseitsnotgoodbye/Default.aspx

Does anyone have it that might share?

pm me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,350
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    edited June 2017
    feeling grateful for Chris Cornell and Pearl Jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cKS6Fy2M_Q

Post edited by Magoo2 on
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    I was never really into Audioslave, but became a fan of some of their songs through seeing Chris perform them solo in recent years. Was a huge fan of both SG and RATM, but at the time I think I just refused to accept Audioslave as I wanted both of those bands back together. Over the past few days, I've been watching more of their live footage and I came across this video. It's honestly the first thing that's made me smile and laugh since hearing of this horrible tragedy. Seeing Chris jump around and swear is quite hilarious in contrast to the Chris I recognize from SG, TOTD, solo, and Mad Season. Anyways, I hope this brings some smiles to you all as its been a very tough past few weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT0q3GH16lA
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited June 2017
    Great video thanks!

Post edited by kaseylily on
  • kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    mwplum said:
    I was never really into Audioslave, but became a fan of some of their songs through seeing Chris perform them solo in recent years. Was a huge fan of both SG and RATM, but at the time I think I just refused to accept Audioslave as I wanted both of those bands back together. Over the past few days, I've been watching more of their live footage and I came across this video. It's honestly the first thing that's made me smile and laugh since hearing of this horrible tragedy. Seeing Chris jump around and swear is quite hilarious in contrast to the Chris I recognize from SG, TOTD, solo, and Mad Season. Anyways, I hope this brings some smiles to you all as its been a very tough past few weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT0q3GH16lA

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Angelbear said:
    feeling grateful for Chris Cornell and Pearl Jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cKS6Fy2M_Q

That smile at 1:47...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359

Josh Brolin’s eulogy from Chris Cornell’s funeral

Everywhere I look, I think I see Chris walking toward me: tall, a long mane of lion curls, a slight smile under either a beard or a pencil thin mustache.

Every time I look at my phone and it says Christopher and I think it’s all been a dream, something imagined, that you create subconsciously so that it can never be realized.

Every time I think of Chris, it’s like he’s in front of me, telling me what he’s been doing: his kids, Vicky, a fair they went to, or how much fun he had when we all went karting, a song he’s mining the magic out of.

This is the thing that never goes away, the impact someone has on you. It will ebb and flow with time in its intensity, but it will always be there until someone is doing it about you.

An impact. That’s what we all hope to have: a great memory, a witticism, a song, how they deal with their children, moments, when in repose, they call you to just say “Hey, man, I miss you”.

Chris Cornell touched on happy, his kind of grace. We all have our own happy. He’d ridden his various treacherous roads on the psychic motorcycle rebelling, reacting, rebounding, etc. And now, older, familied, this was a time of just working on himself, said family, a deeper music and how to pull for more love out it all. His was an uphill climbing trajectory. There’s the professional, yeah, that too, but people don’t die professionally, they only die personally. And personally, was an uphill climb — a winded climb, just by nature of his sensitivity — but uphill nonetheless.

Chris Cornell the human being.
    Chris Cornell who loved his family: Vicky, Lilli, Toni and Christopher.
    Chris Cornell who was my friend: simply, my friend.

I met Chris at the Hollywood Café. I was drunk, and afterward, backstage, sat on his lap and told him how great I thought he was. He smiled, I’m sure a little irritated, but let me pontificate until I felt he had really heard how deeply he had affected me. I had a tendency to be fairly aggressive toward the things that moved me, and Chris, from the moment I heard him live (so intimate, as only he could be), grabbed each of my cells by the throat and never let go.

Chris Cornell was my friend: simply. It came from the music sure, the way his voice reached out like ET’s finger, but it was the lap dance I gave him that set it all in motion.

Over the next 7 years, Chris and I became close. I got him: the isolation, the love and tension to create, the elation of finding the love of your life and manifesting a happier life with that love, and he got me. Our lives paralleled and with that a loose friendship came true intimacy and reveal.

When you are well known for your chosen profession you have a tendency to protect yourself. You wall off and deny that people are talking about you. You know how to deflect conversations. You start to question if you know anymore what a general openness looks like.

Then, if you are diligent, if you care about your personal legacy, you fight for that intimacy.

When I told Chris that Kathryn and I were getting married he sent me a song that he had written for Vicky after they first got together, a song that he was going to sing at our wedding. His quote:

“I started writing this song years ago right after I met Vicky. I sang an early version to her over the phone before we were engaged but I felt for years that I hadn’t distilled all of the magic I felt with her into song form. About a month ago I finished it. This version played into a hundred dollar mic seems to be the only way to capture the hugeness of how I feel about her.

I was thinking recently that you might relate to it.

Big hugs to you both!
    C”

Kathryn and I listened to the song just as we had listened to another of Chris’s songs early in our relationship, both of us with tears.
    Once in a while someone comes along in your life who just oozes personal. You share inspirations, values, desires, wishes, hopes, like a teenage journal, hoping it will one day answer back to you.

My buddy Chris answered back.
    Chris Cornell, the human being.
    “Hey, man. I’m just calling to say I miss you.”

The other day I started pulling up all the emails, all the voicemails, and just gazing into the memories of different conversations, moments, milestones. My wife and I listened to him sing “Happy Birthday” on my voicemail. “Happy Birthday dear yoooouuuuu. Happy Birthday to you. I love you, man”…click.

You live a life, and to be grateful for that life lived is having lived. Chris Cornell was a human being and like all human beings, we have an expiration date; all different than one another: May 18th, 2017 was his.

But Chris will always be in my heart. I will hold him not high, not angrily, but face to face, like we were, supporting each other through this wacky, circus tent of a life.

There was a moment he wrote to me years ago, and it’s a moment I’d like to share with you. It speaks beautifully for itself as to who he was: a sensitive, protective warrior of a father. What the human aspect of everything meant to him. How he just wanted all of us to find common ground and appreciate this gift that we have for just the little while we’ve been given it.

“JB — Thought of you again today. We live above Benedict Canyon and my daughter’s Parrot flew out of a window and down over the canyon. Hoping he wouldn’t die, I dressed up like Pitt in Seven Years in Tibet and headed down into the wilds of the canyon. As I descended, I saw a female bluebird in a distant tree. Thought it was mine. I chased it around until I saw she was nesting and wasn’t in fact green.

I spent the next 2 hours in the screaming sun alternately crashing thru brush and sitting still so I’d be able to vibe out his spot. Decided it was too big a canyon and I would never find him. I cut back up behind my house and sat in the shade near where the bush whacking started.

I sat there for a half hour feeling like I betrayed a little friend who relied on me for his safety.

I waited another few minutes and gave up. I paused for one second before going inside and tried one last time to chirp for him. I waited and listened, and suddenly I heard a faint chirp back down in the brush. There he was! Wanting very much to be rescued. Little green birds that talk are the needles in the haystacks formed of needles on top of a bed of a valley of needles.

But they sometimes chirp.”

Brother, you are near, you are dear, and I’ll see you when it’s time. But for now, my heart billows and embraces everything that you were, that you are, that you forever will be. I hear you “in the haystack formed of needles/ on top of a bed of a valley of needles/ but I hear you/ and know that you are there”. Yes, I know that you are there. I’ll miss you, but I know that you are there.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384

Wow, that eulogy.......

• lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734

It's been a couple weeks, and this really hasn't sunk in. Just seems so surreal. 
    He's pretty much all I've been listening to. 
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I don't know much about Brolin, but man...what a beautiful expression of love and loss - and of appreciation.

His "face to face" remark got me.

Thank you for posting this.
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 3,857
    Amazing eulogy. Thanks for sharing.
    jesus. that eulogy. josh brolin is an amazing speaker. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Its not sinking in at all

way worse than Kurt or Layne. Those weren't as shocking. I said a few weeks ago on here that Chris was the wise older brother of the scene.  I wont post the stuff about his family life that's been made public but this whole thing is very bizarre