RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    edited May 2017
    OnWis97 said:
    disclaimer: the following post is pure selfishness and pales to the loss his family and friends feel.

part of it for me is the loss of possibilities. TOTD. Soundgarden. Solo. He played Mad Season and TOTD songs with DUFF MCKAGAN OF GUNS N ROSES. 20 years ago the idea of them sharing a stage would have seemed laughable. he has recorded with Slash, Santana, Timbaland. The possibilities to his creativity were endless. Really, honestly, endless. I was always so excited to find out what he was going to to do next, even if I didn't always like it. With our other heroes, it's usually pretty much all the same stuff. Same bands, same bit players and collaborations. Chris was different. He'd work with anybody on anything. 

I was really, really looking forward to more TOTD dates and possible music.

That's how I feel and it's OK to look at it selfishly...there's no question that this is my worst celebrity death ever for selfish reasons.  I was looking forward to some of the same stuff...I was at the Wisconsin festival five days before he died thinking about a short festival setlist and how I looked forward to seeing Soundgarden headline a "regular" show, hopefully in the not-to-distant future.  The little hints about the possibility of an Audioslave tour (I never saw them), hope for more TOTD (my midwestern location hurt for that one), more SG, more solo shows.  Most of my sorrow comes from the degree to which I was a fan and the fact that I lost a lot more from this death than any other death of a person I don't know.  And it's OK to feel that way.  For the stuff that really matters (family and friends), this is no sadder than Paul Walker or John Ritter.  And I get that.  But I did not really lose anything from those and I don't think humans have the capacity to feel deep loss/sorrow for the loved ones every time they hear about someone's death.  

Because I'm a fan, I'm sad for the way he felt much of his life (and that I assumed everything was A-OK) but I'm also sad for my own loss.  I say that with no guilt; we're humans.
    I kind of lashed out at my wife a little saying "see! I should have gone to see TOTD when I had the chance!". They came nowhere near Winnipeg, and it would have been a big expense to travel to it. But if there was one bucket list band for me, that was it. I really wanted to see SG again as well, but I did get to see them in 1995. AND was backstage and met Matt. 

Thanks for the comments. Makes a lot of sense. 
    I don't like festivals, but given the rarity in seeing Soundgarden (1994, 2013, and now 2017), my wife and I put up with it.  And boy would I be regretting it if we did not.  It was only a 45-minute drive.

We went to PJ20...almost did not because my wife was between jobs.  And we're so blessed to have seen the little TOTD mini-reunion.  We never regretted going; but I'd still be kicking myself if we'd skipped it.  

From Minnesota, those TOTD shows were pretty far away...so I put in for one show through the 10C (Philly, for the small venue and the schedule fit).  Did not win.  Was not even sure I wanted to win. But after this, I wish I had.  I don't regret going to the annoying festival (also saw Bush for the first time, which was cool).  And had I won Philly, we'd have had to get flights, hotel, etc...a fairly expensive concert, but man, I wish I would have...

My facebook post from the day after...
    You'll never hear me say anyone had a better voice than Chris Cornell, regardless of genre. Five days removed from seeing Soundgarden for what I did not believe was my last time (my ninth time seeing him perform), it is unsettling news to wake up to. It's unsettling that "Mt. Grungemore" (Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain...and I like to include Scott Weiland) is down to one. This is the worst celebrity death news I've ever received.

Five days ago (wife) and I fought annoying drunks and messy parking at an annoying festival to hear Soundgarden play an abbreviated set. I tell you this, I don't regret it. To steal from David Letterman's induction of Pearl Jam into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last month, live music is a gift. If you have a chance to see a favorite performer, do what you can within reason to make it happen. And certainly do not count on "next time."

And if you like hard rock and do not own "Superunknown" by Soundgarden, get it. And if you like great pipes to go with acoustic music get his solo album "Higher Truth."

I'm not a hero-worship guy but it's OK to to be enamored with someone else's art to the point that their death will be devastating. This one is gonna gnaw at me for a while but it beats the alternative of not even knowing about it and not having the memories and consistent access to the art.

Post edited by OnWis97 on
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,943
    OnWis97 said:

You'll never hear me say anyone had a better voice than Chris Cornell, regardless of genre. Five days removed from seeing Soundgarden for what I did not believe was my last time (my ninth time seeing him perform), it is unsettling news to wake up to. It's unsettling that "Mt. Grungemore" (Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain...and I like to include Scott Weiland) is down to one.
    I still argue we're down to 2.   He kind of speaks his mind and lacks a filter, but the Pumpkins were right up there with the Seattle bands and STP during the hey dey of that era.   Given recent events it makes me want to see a Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour that much more.   I haven't see them play since January '97 in Vancouver.   It's a long time coming :)
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387
    Zod said:
    OnWis97 said:

You'll never hear me say anyone had a better voice than Chris Cornell, regardless of genre. Five days removed from seeing Soundgarden for what I did not believe was my last time (my ninth time seeing him perform), it is unsettling news to wake up to. It's unsettling that "Mt. Grungemore" (Chris Cornell, Eddie Vedder, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain...and I like to include Scott Weiland) is down to one.
    I still argue we're down to 2.   He kind of speaks his mind and lacks a filter, but the Pumpkins were right up there with the Seattle bands and STP during the hey dey of that era.   Given recent events it makes me want to see a Smashing Pumpkins reunion tour that much more.   I haven't see them play since January '97 in Vancouver.   It's a long time coming :)

I'll take Mark Lanegan any day of the week & twice on Sunday over Billy Corgan.

I'm seeing him in August, and I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't heard him, give him a listen.

• ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075

I'll take Mark Lanegan any day of the week & twice on Sunday over Billy Corgan.

I'm seeing him in August, and I highly recommend to anyone who hasn't heard him, give him a listen.

Hear, hear! I'll be out of town when he comes to NY in August, but I'm so glad to have seen him a few times since 2009. He almost never toured before that, and I wasn't sure I'd ever see him in person. And even better, he often sits at the autograph table after shows too, accommodating anyone and everyone for photos or signatures.
  • NoleeNolee Saskatchewan, Canada Posts: 66
    wish I had known about that. 
    It was more helpful than I'd imagined - unexpectedly so, to hear him say a few things and echo a shared sentiment. A shared cathartic moment for me and maybe others. I logged onto Facebook and it alerted me of the event. I had to turn off the comments though - man there are some annoying and weird fans out there.
    usually those facebook live things are viewable afterwards too. I'll have to see. Thanks Chris. 
    Yup, it's up on the Pearl Jam Facebook page for viewing now - it was really great - Mike has taken some really neat shots over the years. I am a bit of a photography nut myself, so I was fascinated to see all the places and people he's been able to capture in 20 years. Too cool!
    ~ Gimli, MB "Mudfest" 1993
    ~ Edmonton, AB 2005
    ~ Winnipeg, MB 2011
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    disclaimer: the following post is pure selfishness and pales to the loss his family and friends feel.

part of it for me is the loss of possibilities. TOTD. Soundgarden. Solo. He played Mad Season and TOTD songs with DUFF MCKAGAN OF GUNS N ROSES. 20 years ago the idea of them sharing a stage would have seemed laughable. he has recorded with Slash, Santana, Timbaland. The possibilities to his creativity were endless. Really, honestly, endless. I was always so excited to find out what he was going to to do next, even if I didn't always like it. With our other heroes, it's usually pretty much all the same stuff. Same bands, same bit players and collaborations. Chris was different. He'd work with anybody on anything. 

I was really, really looking forward to more TOTD dates and possible music.

Exactly how I feel. I loved that he toured with a cellist during the Higher Truth tour. And when he released The Promise, I tweeted him about maybe hearing Promise that he wrote with Slash one day. Devastated that one day will never happen.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,379
    Jerry Cantrell to Rolling Stone:

"There is a space now and forever empty because of that," Cantrell says of Cornell's death. "It's never going to make sense. It's never going to feel right. And it's always going to hurt."
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    edited May 2017
    That's a nice article. I love the bonus pics with dogs! So damn sweet.
    Post edited by kaseylily on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Suziemay said:
    Thank you!!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,249
    Just cried listening to Doesn't Remind Me. It'll take me a long time to get over this loss.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Jason7192Jason7192 Southern Indiana Posts: 311
    Was in LA for vacation this week & stopped by on Tuesday to pay my respect. 
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737

Taught me well to unleash hell
    But not how to shut it down

So I hold tight to the edge of the night
    And I fight on and wait for the light
    And I hold fast to the here and the now
    Till the sun comes back around

Thoughts of you cut through the doom
    As I stand alone on this wall
    If I die, tell me will it matter
    Whichever side I have on the fall?
    No my dear, it won't matter at all
    Oh my dear, it won't matter

Rest in peace.

• juanceraolojuanceraolo Argentina Posts: 19
    edited June 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGkx4N2s4K4

Tried to write something. Then found out there's no need.
    Post edited by juanceraolo on
  • Magoo2Magoo2 Posts: 94
    edited June 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDym1NvxU6Q
    "I promise it's not Goodbye", 

Chris Cornell co-writes song with fan, "It was a pleasure to put it to music and an honor that he ask if I would ever consider it" Chris Cornell on the poem I Promise It's Not Goodbye, written by Rory de la Rosa

Post edited by Magoo2 on
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead...
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^^^^  That's beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,360
    One of my first introductions to SoundGarden was in the game Road Rash. Pretty cool article...
    http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2017/05/chris-cornell-soundgarden-and-road-rash.html
  • wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• kaseylilykaseylily Michigan, USA Posts: 259
    Was randomly watching Wayne's World the other day. Been so long, then I heard Chris singing....forgot about that, but it was a nice surprise.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    Toxicology reports make it seem like it was a crazy, random mistake. So sad
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    That is a fantastic video! I hadn't seen it before, thanks for posting it. 
    So raw and natural, just 2 guys playing for the enjoyment of it. I love how the crowd keeps growing as people realise what's happening. That would have been something special to be at, even more so now.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    edited June 2017

very sad for Chris Cornell. I think he had it rough.
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Thank you. I loved this video. Made me smile and also shed a couple of tears.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
    Blasting Long Road for CC.  9/11 tribute version 
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    Hopefully with the reports all wrapped up it will help heal this wound.  
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
    edited June 2017
    thought it was very cool that all of the Soundgarden guys and other people got together with S.Silver right after the funeral.... Saw a great dinner photo too
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • mwplummwplum Posts: 1,501
    Sprunkn7 said:
    Hopefully with the reports all wrapped up it will help heal this wound.  
    Unfortunately I don't think that's the case. Won't post anything here that is based on speculation, but thankfully there is still an ongoing investigation.
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524