RIP Chris Cornell

Comments

• emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    edited May 2017
    emjot said:

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    emjot said:

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DegeneratefkDegeneratefk Posts: 3,123
    Seeing pictures of that grave stone at the memorial made this real. I couldn't help but cry again. For a week, I was waiting for the news report to come out and say it was a hoax. But now, it's sunk in. Seeing his band mates eulogize Chris was the moment I came to terms with losing him. 

I can't imagine how Eddie has felt during this process. But this picture taken at last night's show pretty much sums it up.

will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    Keep on listening massively to Soundgarden. Oh, what a voice! Still sad.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • emjotemjot Posts: 2,722
    Better picture here 

PJ * 2010 * Belfast * 2012 * Manchester 1 * Manchester 2 * Berlin 1 * Berlin 2 * 2014 * Amsterdam 1 * Amsterdam 2 * Berlin * Leeds * Milton Keynes *
    EV * 2012 * Manchester * London 1 * London 2 * 2017 * Dublin * Cork *
  • Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,275
    emjot said:
    Better picture here 

It was like being there to say goodbye. Thank you Jacqueline
    :hug:
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    emjot said:
    Better picture here 

Does the bottom represent the rest of 10c or just those listed?

Brilliant idea. RIP.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,434
    Listening to Fell On Black Days. Chris' vocal range is stunning
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • GW12074GW12074 Posts: 2
    Of all the losses the last couple years in the Rock world, this one feels different.  My first thought was like so many others I have heard.  From all appearances Chris looked like all was well and he had everything together.  I saw him perform about 15 times starting in 1994 including PJ20, but it is those solo tours that hit me now that he is gone.  The 9:30 Club solo band show in DC on the Euphoria Morning tour in 1999 was a revelation.  I just remember his incredible voice, feeling so lucky to be there in such an intimate setting.  I was fortunate to be close to the stage for the Scream tour at the same club in 2009 when he played an incredible mix of his material plus Immigrant Song.  Then the intimate solo solo shows on the Songbook Tour (2011; 27 songs), 2013 Acoustic Tour (32 songs including Footsteps!, One/U2 with One/Metallica lyrics mashup, and Hotel California), and the Higher Truth Tour (2015; 30 songs including River of Deceit! and Nothing Compares 2 U).  On the Higher Truth Tour he seemed so in command and on top of everything that the last 10 days still don't compute for me.  I pushed myself to the second Philly TOTD show last November 5 (Pushin Forward Back, River of Deceit, Holy Roller!, Achilles Last Stand, Fascination Street!, and Missing) but never could imagine that was it.  Chris, you left us too soon, but I know I speak for your fans when I say how grateful we are for the so many albums and memories.

• GW12074GW12074 Posts: 2
    And all my love and support to Matt, Jeff, and PJ.  We have some idea how tough this is for you.
  • morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    "Slaves & Bulldozers" came on my music on the bus home from work this evening & the tears came back. So sad to think that's the last song he played(I think I have that right) :'-(
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    I'm still feeling so out of sorts about this ...
    Sad about the loss, grateful for his gift of music to us, heartbroken for his family and close friends.

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,632
    Its affecting me weirdly.  Even the gossip has just bummed me out to the point where im not wanting to listen to certain stuff. Been playing a ton of SG and Cornell tho.  
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578
    Jerry Cantrell kinda nailed it when he said Cornell was the "last guy in the world I thought that would happen to. That's not the way that book was supposed to end. And it was not the way that book was going."
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Im a member of both the SG and CC fanclubs as well, and I guess that just goes away...this summer, effing sucks.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    RS65573 said:
    Im a member of both the SG and CC fanclubs as well, and I guess that just goes away...this summer, effing sucks.

That's been a hard thing for me to accept. After the TOTD tour last fall, it wasn't unreasonable to think these guys could do more - I believe Chris even said they may do more tour dates, and all that's out the window. That's hard enough to take as a fan, I can't imagine how his SG bandmates are feeling. In addition to losing a friend/ bandmate etc. they've also permanently had the plug pulled on the band & its future. Like Nirvana, SG can't go on without him, that's the end of it. (maybe we'll get some unreleased material, or some live releases, but no more tours, no more new albums, no future - that's got to be brutal)
    I imagine it's a tough pill to swallow on top of losing someone you've worked with for over 30 years - granted, they did take an approximate 12 year hiatus, but they've been back together for a solid 7 or 8 years, and as far as I know there was no reason to think their future wasn't bright.

I understand, this all pales in comparison to the loss the family is feeling, but it's definitely another aspect to what a tragedy this is.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Mike really said it for all of us last night. "Stop fucking dying".
    www.cluthelee.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    where did he say that?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

disclaimer: the following post is pure selfishness and pales to the loss his family and friends feel.

part of it for me is the loss of possibilities. TOTD. Soundgarden. Solo. He played Mad Season and TOTD songs with DUFF MCKAGAN OF GUNS N ROSES. 20 years ago the idea of them sharing a stage would have seemed laughable. he has recorded with Slash, Santana, Timbaland. The possibilities to his creativity were endless. Really, honestly, endless. I was always so excited to find out what he was going to to do next, even if I didn't always like it. With our other heroes, it's usually pretty much all the same stuff. Same bands, same bit players and collaborations. Chris was different. He'd work with anybody on anything. 

I was really, really looking forward to more TOTD dates and possible music.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    RS65573 said:

That's been a hard thing for me to accept. After the TOTD tour last fall, it wasn't unreasonable to think these guys could do more - I believe Chris even said they may do more tour dates, and all that's out the window. That's hard enough to take as a fan, I can't imagine how his SG bandmates are feeling. In addition to losing a friend/ bandmate etc. they've also permanently had the plug pulled on the band & its future. Like Nirvana, SG can't go on without him, that's the end of it. (maybe we'll get some unreleased material, or some live releases, but no more tours, no more new albums, no future - that's got to be brutal)
    I imagine it's a tough pill to swallow on top of losing someone you've worked with for over 30 years - granted, they did take an approximate 12 year hiatus, but they've been back together for a solid 7 or 8 years, and as far as I know there was no reason to think their future wasn't bright.

I understand, this all pales in comparison to the loss the family is feeling, but it's definitely another aspect to what a tragedy this is.

I think we'll see a final SG album...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    where did he say that?
    KEXP live stream on Facebook last night re: his new Poloroid book.
    www.cluthelee.com
    The host told him he was sorry for his loss, and Mike said something to the effect that he was sorry for 'our loss' as well. It was an unexpected moment - could tell he struggled especially when they showed pics of Layne and Chris.
    www.cluthelee.com
    wish I had known about that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It was more helpful than I'd imagined - unexpectedly so, to hear him say a few things and echo a shared sentiment. A shared cathartic moment for me and maybe others. I logged onto Facebook and it alerted me of the event. I had to turn off the comments though - man there are some annoying and weird fans out there.
    www.cluthelee.com
    It was more helpful than I'd imagined - unexpectedly so, to hear him say a few things and echo a shared sentiment. A shared cathartic moment for me and maybe others. I logged onto Facebook and it alerted me of the event. I had to turn off the comments though - man there are some annoying and weird fans out there.
    usually those facebook live things are viewable afterwards too. I'll have to see. Thanks Chris. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

usually those facebook live things are viewable afterwards too. I'll have to see. Thanks Chris. 
    : )
    www.cluthelee.com
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    disclaimer: the following post is pure selfishness and pales to the loss his family and friends feel.

part of it for me is the loss of possibilities. TOTD. Soundgarden. Solo. He played Mad Season and TOTD songs with DUFF MCKAGAN OF GUNS N ROSES. 20 years ago the idea of them sharing a stage would have seemed laughable. he has recorded with Slash, Santana, Timbaland. The possibilities to his creativity were endless. Really, honestly, endless. I was always so excited to find out what he was going to to do next, even if I didn't always like it. With our other heroes, it's usually pretty much all the same stuff. Same bands, same bit players and collaborations. Chris was different. He'd work with anybody on anything. 

That's how I feel and it's OK to look at it selfishly...there's no question that this is my worst celebrity death ever for selfish reasons.  I was looking forward to some of the same stuff...I was at the Wisconsin festival five days before he died thinking about a short festival setlist and how I looked forward to seeing Soundgarden headline a "regular" show, hopefully in the not-to-distant future.  The little hints about the possibility of an Audioslave tour (I never saw them), hope for more TOTD (my midwestern location hurt for that one), more SG, more solo shows.  Most of my sorrow comes from the degree to which I was a fan and the fact that I lost a lot more from this death than any other death of a person I don't know.  And it's OK to feel that way.  For the stuff that really matters (family and friends), this is no sadder than Paul Walker or John Ritter.  And I get that.  But I did not really lose anything from those and I don't think humans have the capacity to feel deep loss/sorrow for the loved ones every time they hear about someone's death.  

Because I'm a fan, I'm sad for the way he felt much of his life (and that I assumed everything was A-OK) but I'm also sad for my own loss.  I say that with no guilt; we're humans.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,359
    Because I'm a fan, I'm sad for the way he felt much of his life (and that I assumed everything was A-OK) ...
    Well said, I like that.
    OnWis97 said:

That's how I feel and it's OK to look at it selfishly...there's no question that this is my worst celebrity death ever for selfish reasons.  I was looking forward to some of the same stuff...I was at the Wisconsin festival five days before he died thinking about a short festival setlist and how I looked forward to seeing Soundgarden headline a "regular" show, hopefully in the not-to-distant future.  The little hints about the possibility of an Audioslave tour (I never saw them), hope for more TOTD (my midwestern location hurt for that one), more SG, more solo shows.  Most of my sorrow comes from the degree to which I was a fan and the fact that I lost a lot more from this death than any other death of a person I don't know.  And it's OK to feel that way.  For the stuff that really matters (family and friends), this is no sadder than Paul Walker or John Ritter.  And I get that.  But I did not really lose anything from those and I don't think humans have the capacity to feel deep loss/sorrow for the loved ones every time they hear about someone's death.  

Because I'm a fan, I'm sad for the way he felt much of his life (and that I assumed everything was A-OK) but I'm also sad for my own loss.  I say that with no guilt; we're humans.
    I kind of lashed out at my wife a little saying "see! I should have gone to see TOTD when I had the chance!". They came nowhere near Winnipeg, and it would have been a big expense to travel to it. But if there was one bucket list band for me, that was it. I really wanted to see SG again as well, but I did get to see them in 1995. AND was backstage and met Matt. 

Thanks for the comments. Makes a lot of sense. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD