Juliana Hatfield

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
The lady rocks! From Blake Babies, Some Girls, The Lemonheads, The I Don't Cares.

Check out the song "Short Fingered Man" from her new album, Pussycat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogYJvaG6_uc
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Juliana and Paul Westerberg (AKA The I Don't Cares) sounding great together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmrOqD602TU

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I love Juliana Hatfield. I used to put my hair in pigtails and cover a few of her songs back when I played open mic nights and the like. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I love Juliana Hatfield. I used to put my hair in pigtails and cover a few of her songs back when I played open mic nights and the like. 
    Excellent!

brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Excellent!
    It was jokey, but it did come from a true love of her songwriting and musicianship. The Juliana Hatfield Three's Become What You Are is as essential as Ten
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    dankind said:

thanks for the mental image.

fuck.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    dankind said:

thanks for the mental image.

fuck.
    DanActive. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    Excellent!
    It was jokey, but it did come from a true love of her songwriting and musicianship. The Juliana Hatfield Three's Become What You Are is as essential as Ten
    Oh dang!  And here I was hoping for at least a few snap shots! 

My generation lived in the moment, Brian. We weren't taking pictures of everything.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    My generation lived in the moment, Brian. We weren't taking pictures of everything.
    And a good way to live it is.  I'm thinking this morning about how making each one count is hugely important.

• spnoonespnoone Posts: 625
    the timing was odd given all her recent output (jh3 reunion, blake babies reunion, i don't cares, minor alps) but she really made it sound like the new album was unexpected. said she thought she was done recording and had already said everything she had to say. glad she was wrong. I'm definitely hoping for more I don't cares, as well as solo records. paul made a 2nd idc record sound probable in that interview he did with peter wolf. and the mats' drummer josh posted hints on insta that another might be forthcoming. that was last year, though. we'll see...
    spnoone said:
    the timing was odd given all her recent output (jh3 reunion, blake babies reunion, i don't cares, minor alps) but she really made it sound like the new album was unexpected. said she thought she was done recording and had already said everything she had to say. glad she was wrong. I'm definitely hoping for more I don't cares, as well as solo records. paul made a 2nd idc record sound probable in that interview he did with peter wolf. and the mats' drummer josh posted hints on insta that another might be forthcoming. that was last year, though. we'll see...
    That great hopeful news.  I would love another IDC record!  Always happy to hear anything Paul or Juliana put out, together or separately!

So stoked to see this reissue coming out on vinyl!!  Limited issue, less than a month to pre-order!

I meant to update this several days ago.  This record is KILLER on the vinyl reissued by  Runout Groove Vinyl.  A few days after it arrived, I ran across the used CD version.  Even the CD sounds great but the vinyl is so damn good!  Great song writing (Juliana), great guitar playing (Juliana), if your like me and have acquired a taste for her voice, great singing, (Juliana)! 

A couple of my several favorites:

I finally got around to picking up a copy of Juliana's book, dove right into it, and it is great! The story is honest and compelling and she is a fine writer to boot! Loving it! 
    When I Grow up A Memoir Hatfield Juliana 9780470189597 Amazoncom  Books

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    She is releasing an album of ELO covers.....can't wait to hear it!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Love the album she did with Matthew Caws (of Nada Surf) under the name Minor Alps. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't heard it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    She is releasing an album of ELO covers.....can't wait to hear it!

Yes, glad you mentioned it, Joe! 
    I pre-ordered yesterday and am stoked!  Gotta wait til fall to get it, but something to look forward to, for sure!

Juliana Hatfield Sings ELO
    mfc2006 said:
    Love the album she did with Matthew Caws (of Nada Surf) under the name Minor Alps. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't heard it.

I don't know that one and will definitely check it out, thanks!

edited November 2023
    It's out, it's here, it's beautiful!  Now I just need to make time to give it my undivided attention!
    Juliana Hatfield Sings ELO

Secondary 3 of 4

Juliana Hatfield – Sings ELO

Label:American Laundromat Records – ALR-0061
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Limited Edition, Stereo, Powder Blue
    Released:Nov 17, 2023
    Genre:Rock, Pop
    Style:Pop Rock

Post edited by brianlux on

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    wonder if she's related to James Hatfield? :tongue::wink:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    edited November 2023

I don't think so, lol, but her mother, Julie Hatfield, had a relationship with Mountain's Felix Pappalardi.  Even though both were married to other people, he and Julie were in and out of each others lives for many years.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    BL + JH

4ever
    Loujoe said:
    BL + JH

4ever

Heart-eyes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY
    :lol:

I finally had time to listen to Juliana's ELO covers straight through.  It's great!  I think it's her best covers LP yet.  And rumor has it she plans on doing an REM covers LP..  Sure hope so!  

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    brianlux said:

I don't think so, lol, but her mother, Julie Hatfield, had a relationship with Mountain's Felix Pappalardi.  Even though both were married to other people, he and Julie were in and out of each others lives for many years.

That was an attempt at a very bad joke
    James Hetfield GIFs  Tenor

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    brianlux said:

That was an attempt at a very bad joke
    James Hetfield GIFs  Tenor

lol. 

• JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    brianlux said:
    I finally got around to picking up a copy of Juliana's book, dove right into it, and it is great! The story is honest and compelling and she is a fine writer to boot! Loving it! 

Do I remember correctly that Henry Rollins was her 1st serious boyfriend? Does she talk about that in the book? And why do I also remember her in a later relationship with the singer of Camper Van Beethoven or maybe the Lemonheads singer?

In terms of her doing an album of ELO covers, that's fascinating! I don't listen to ELO since I was a very young kid, but I can see how it would be a great collection. Does she ever tour her cover albums?
    JH6056 said:
    brianlux said:

Do I remember correctly that Henry Rollins was her 1st serious boyfriend? Does she talk about that in the book? And why do I also remember her in a later relationship with the singer of Camper Van Beethoven or maybe the Lemonheads singer?

In terms of her doing an album of ELO covers, that's fascinating! I don't listen to ELO since I was a very young kid, but I can see how it would be a great collection. Does she ever tour her cover albums?

Good questions, J.  In her book, Hatfield describes a number of her relationships, but is very guarded about revealing names.  She talks about how she and fellow Blake Babies band members John Strohm and Freda Love Smith stayed at Rollins' house a little while during their tour leg in the greater L.A. area, but says nothing about dating him or anything like that (it was interesting, though, when she  mentioned him playing them some of his Albert Ayler records which did not go over hugely, lol).  It's also rumored that her song "President Garfield" from her LP, Become What You Are is about Henry Rollins (who was born Henry Lawrence Garfield), but again, that is not substantiated. 

Yes, another rumored states that she and Lemonheads frontman Evan Dando were a things for awhile, but again, she never actually mentions  that in her book and writes little about her time with that band (which I believe was just for the It's About Ray LP, if I'm correct.)  Her descriptions of a substance abusing boyfriend hint at such a relationship, but again, she does not mention names. 

Good question regarding whether or not she does the covers for her tours.  I'm sorry to say I have not caught her playing live.  She seems to tour infrequently is more so on her home east coast than out west here.  I hope to get a chance to catch one of her shows some day.  As good as her ELO and Police covers are, I would think she would be more likely to do some of the Olivia Newton-John numbers as a solo act.

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Sounds like another music project. When will I ever hear all the music?!?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,606
    After your earballs slam shut