I beat Cancer ... I hope :)

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Wobbie said:
    fuck yeah, Brian! thanks for turning me on.

:plus_one:  
    fixed :giggle:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    crankiness? hell yeah!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    edited May 2017
    Congratulations, Rob!  Enough time has gone by that we can all joke about it and give you a hard time but I remember when you first started this thread.  I really admired how you could share all the ups and downs with us.  You probably gave some hope and encouragement (and laughs) to more people than you realize.  Now, while I'm trying to wrap my head around my own diagnosis, thanks for the encouragement you've given me during the last few weeks.. 
    Post edited by Who Princess on
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    I'll drink to this!

"...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Congratulations, Rob!  Enough time has gone by that we can all joke about it and give you a hard time but I remember when you first started this thread.  I really admired how you could share all the ups and downs with us.  You probably gave some hope and encouragement (and laughs) to more people than you realize.  Now, while I'm trying to wrap my head around my own diagnosis, thanks for the encouragement you've given me during the last few weeks.. 
    Beautiful words, Who P.  I didn't know about what you're going through, and hope you can / are handling it more than OK.  So much support here, so reach out whenever needed or wanted.
    hedonist said:
    Beautiful words, Who P.  I didn't know about what you're going through, and hope you can / are handling it more than OK.  So much support here, so reach out whenever needed or wanted.
    Who Princess, :hug:

So much nicer than Rob. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Now, while I'm trying to wrap my head around my own diagnosis, thanks for the encouragement you've given me during the last few weeks.. 
    Wait.. What?? 
    norm said:
    Now, while I'm trying to wrap my head around my own diagnosis, thanks for the encouragement you've given me during the last few weeks.. 
    Wait.. What?? 
    I know, it's hard to believe but Rob can actually be a nice person on rare occasions.  :lol:

My diagnosis came on March 29.  I have a tumor on my left eye.  It's a rare cancer called ocular melanoma.  It only affects about 6 people out of a million.  With odds like that, I don't see why I couldn't have won the lottery instead.  It was a fluke that it was identified at all and early detection will hopefully make a difference.  Another fluke was finding out that there are 3 clinics that specialize in treating it, in Philly, Houston, and Dallas, which is about 45 miles away from me.

The tumor was treated with radiation and now comes a long process of monitoring it to see if it shrinks.  If it doesn't, I'll probably lose my eye.  I've decided that isn't the worst thing in the world.  Besides, it would give me a chance to sport an eye patch like Roger Daltrey wore:

Image result for roger daltrey eye patch

When the tumor was biopsied, it turned out to be an aggressive type, which means there is a greater risk that it will metastasize.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared but I'm trying to take this one step at a time.

So I haven't been hanging around here much lately, in part because of everything that's been going on.  Also, computer monitors really bother my eye although it's getting better.  After I come home from work, the last thing I want to do is look at a computer.  But I've missed all you wonderful friendly, funny people.  The things I've seen happen on this message board long since convinced me that PJ fans are nearly as great as Who fans!  :tongue:   Srsly, I love ya'll to pieces.

Like Rob, I've got good support systems.  A good doctor, caring friends, supportive co-workers who won't stop pampering me, a couple of sweet dogs, and an amazing husband who is taking good care of me. 

This is probably the strangest thing I've ever experienced and I'm still figuring it all out as I go.  If you're a person who prays, I'd appreciate your prayers, and I'd love any good vibes you can send my way.  Thanks, and maybe in a few years I can be like Rob and say that I beat cancer too.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    norm said:
    Wait.. What?? 
    I know, it's hard to believe but Rob can actually be a nice person on rare occasions.  :lol:

My diagnosis came on March 29.  I have a tumor on my left eye.  It's a rare cancer called ocular melanoma.  It only affects about 6 people out of a million.  With odds like that, I don't see why I couldn't have won the lottery instead.  It was a fluke that it was identified at all and early detection will hopefully make a difference.  Another fluke was finding out that there are 3 clinics that specialize in treating it, in Philly, Houston, and Dallas, which is about 45 miles away from me.

The tumor was treated with radiation and now comes a long process of monitoring it to see if it shrinks.  If it doesn't, I'll probably lose my eye.  I've decided that isn't the worst thing in the world.  Besides, it would give me a chance to sport an eye patch like Roger Daltrey wore:

When the tumor was biopsied, it turned out to be an aggressive type, which means there is a greater risk that it will metastasize.  I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared but I'm trying to take this one step at a time.

So I haven't been hanging around here much lately, in part because of everything that's been going on.  Also, computer monitors really bother my eye although it's getting better.  After I come home from work, the last thing I want to do is look at a computer.  But I've missed all you wonderful friendly, funny people.  The things I've seen happen on this message board long since convinced me that PJ fans are nearly as great as Who fans!  :tongue:   Srsly, I love ya'll to pieces.

Like Rob, I've got good support systems.  A good doctor, caring friends, supportive co-workers who won't stop pampering me, a couple of sweet dogs, and an amazing husband who is taking good care of me. 

This is probably the strangest thing I've ever experienced and I'm still figuring it all out as I go.  If you're a person who prays, I'd appreciate your prayers, and I'd love any good vibes you can send my way.  Thanks, and maybe in a few years I can be like Rob and say that I beat cancer too.

Oh, WhoP, that so completely sucks. I'm glad you have good support and that it was caught early, but what a frightening thing to go through. I'm sending all the good vibes I have your way; the direction of Dallas, you say? Good luck!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    My sister is a Texas native - mom and dad moved to San Antonio from NY just before she was born.

So, I will say to you, as you navigate this...THIS...know that, as with often, best energy sent, and passing along a "sho'nuff" (said in my German father's accent but who surprisingly got it right) in the hopes you kick this motherfucker's ass.

Much good energy sent your way, Who P.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Rob is always a nice person.  (Who needs to have the last word(s), of course.  :) )
    Glad that it seems things are going well thus far and best of luck!
    As someone that is blind in one eye, it really doesn't matter....of course I still have the eye and nobody can tell so perhaps that doesn't make you feel any better.  Hopefully the radiation worked and your eye will be fine.  So glad you caught it early -- how does one discover such a seemingly random and rare form early on?  Were you having headaches or something?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    edited May 2017
    :hug:to Rob and Who P.
    ELITIST FUK
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Congrats Rob. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
    Hope all goes well for you Who P. You'll be in my thoughts.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    norm said:
    Wait.. What?? 

WOW!  I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Lucky it was caught soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts. 
    Oh and...

FUCK CANCER!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Sending you all of my positive thoughts, Who Princess!
    Big :hug: to Who Princess. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Looks like I've hijacked Rob's thread.  :giggle:  At least I found a way to tell ya'll about this.
    As someone that is blind in one eye, it really doesn't matter....of course I still have the eye and nobody can tell so perhaps that doesn't make you feel any better.  Hopefully the radiation worked and your eye will be fine.  So glad you caught it early -- how does one discover such a seemingly random and rare form early on?  Were you having headaches or something?
    That actually does make me feel better.  I'm trying to imagine life with one eye.   And even though I joke about the eye patch, I've looked at prosthetic eyes online and they are amazingly realistic. If it comes to that, I think I'll be OK.

The tumor was discovered because I started having a problem with my eye.  I was seeing "flashes and floaters," as they're called, strange flashes of light and black spots.  I probably would have ignored it for quite a while but several years ago a friend had a detached retina and I knew those were the symptoms.  You're supposed to take care of that immediately or you risk losing your sight, so I called my eye doctor and was worked in that afternoon.  When the doc told me ocular melanoma, I thought he was nuts.  He referred me to an ocular oncologist in Dallas and got me an appointment the next day.  I had 3 hours of crazy tests on my eye, including an ultrasound!  Then they showed me a 3D illustration of the tumor and gave me the diagnosis.  I asked how I could get melanoma in my eye, since I think of that as skin cancer.  Turns out it's a cancer that attacks the cells that produce pigment.  In the eye, it usually happens to people of northern European descent (as I told my co-workers, it's a Caucasian thing!) and has nothing to do with sun exposure. 

BTW I'm still having flashes and floaters.  They're caused by the tumor pressing on my retina. 
    norm said:
    Oh and...

FUCK CANCER!
    HELL YES!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the thoughts, vibes, hugs sent my way.  It means more than I can say.
    Rob, thanks for the support and encouragement you've given me.  I'm gonna give you your thread back now. 

yeah.....start your own fuckin' thread :angry:

just kidding. as I've told you. I think all will be good.

I'm at 6 years and a week :triumph:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    An eye ultrasound?  Whacky!  I had one on my balls and I thought that was uncomfortable - but on you eye?  Odd.
    Great attitude and if you worshipped​ the Flying Spaghetti Monster (like me) you would know that Pirates are the closest beings to god...so a patch could be a life changing thing in a good way!  ;)
    Best of luck!

FSM is the shit!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • I'll keep you in my thoughts, Who Princess. :hug: Best of luck!
    Looks like I've hijacked Rob's thread.  :giggle:  At least I found a way to tell ya'll about this.
    That actually does make me feel better.  I'm trying to imagine life with one eye.   And even though I joke about the eye patch, I've looked at prosthetic eyes online and they are amazingly realistic. If it comes to that, I think I'll be OK.

The tumor was discovered because I started having a problem with my eye.  I was seeing "flashes and floaters," as they're called, strange flashes of light and black spots.  I probably would have ignored it for quite a while but several years ago a friend had a detached retina and I knew those were the symptoms.  You're supposed to take care of that immediately or you risk losing your sight, so I called my eye doctor and was worked in that afternoon.  When the doc told me ocular melanoma, I thought he was nuts.  He referred me to an ocular oncologist in Dallas and got me an appointment the next day.  I had 3 hours of crazy tests on my eye, including an ultrasound!  Then they showed me a 3D illustration of the tumor and gave me the diagnosis.  I asked how I could get melanoma in my eye, since I think of that as skin cancer.  Turns out it's a cancer that attacks the cells that produce pigment.  In the eye, it usually happens to people of northern European descent (as I told my co-workers, it's a Caucasian thing!) and has nothing to do with sun exposure. 

BTW I'm still having flashes and floaters.  They're caused by the tumor pressing on my retina. 
    norm said:
    Oh and...

FUCK CANCER!
    HELL YES!

You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the thoughts, vibes, hugs sent my way.  It means more than I can say.
    Rob, thanks for the support and encouragement you've given me.  I'm gonna give you your thread back now. 

YOU are awesome, Who P.

(and, despite - or maybe because of - the what in the fuck would Wob do thread, he is one of my favorite stand-up people here)

PS...yes to FUCK CANCER.
    One should wear protection when one fucks cancer. No one wants crabs. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Speak for yourself
    :whistle:
  • Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    dankind said:
    Shave your pubes off beforehand and you don't need to worry about it. 
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
    dankind said:
    Shave your pubes off beforehand and you don't need to worry about it. 
    Already got that covered.

#manscaping
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,171
      I had one on my balls and I thought that was uncomfortable -

I dunno, had the same thing, that warm gel they applied first was kind of comfortable. :i_dunno:

Worst part was after in the waiting room, all the other patients (shockingly all pregnant women) got these nice pictures of their babies, all I got was confirmation of a tumor.

This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
      I had one on my balls and I thought that was uncomfortable -

I dunno, had the same thing, that warm gel they applied first was kind of comfortable. :i_dunno:

Worst part was after in the waiting room, all the other patients (shockingly all pregnant women) got these nice pictures of their babies, all I got was confirmation of a tumor.

Balls!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM