Tool

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    edited March 2017

chitty said:

Consensus is the more expensive and closer seats are not worth it?

Who's doing the gorge? I'm debating vancouver or there.

I like having a good view of Danny Carey if at all possible, so I personally vouch for any seat in the house. You may not get the full light / laser effect if you're up close, but I don't mind missing that if I get a good view of the musicians.

With that being said, I'm pretty psyched with the two shows I have lined up. 11th row in Bangor, and then a festival show the next night. That will be the night I hang back & enjoy the lights etc........ best of both worlds IMO.

Good luck to anyone going for the next round of tickets.
    Ya I am going back and forth on what to do as well. My plan is the opposite of yours I think. To get somewhat close for Boston Calling and to Lawn GA for The Gorge. Can't go wrong either way. I think I might risk to see what best seats I can come up with tomorrow and if they are off to the side I will just throw them back and go for Lawn. Does Lawn GA ever sell out in minutes for popular bands at the Gorge?
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,384
    PJNB said:

chitty said:

Consensus is the more expensive and closer seats are not worth it?

Who's doing the gorge? I'm debating vancouver or there.

I like having a good view of Danny Carey if at all possible, so I personally vouch for any seat in the house. You may not get the full light / laser effect if you're up close, but I don't mind missing that if I get a good view of the musicians.

With that being said, I'm pretty psyched with the two shows I have lined up. 11th row in Bangor, and then a festival show the next night. That will be the night I hang back & enjoy the lights etc........ best of both worlds IMO.

Good luck to anyone going for the next round of tickets.
    Ya I am going back and forth on what to do as well. My plan is the opposite of yours I think. To get somewhat close for Boston Calling and to Lawn GA for The Gorge. Can't go wrong either way. I think I might risk to see what best seats I can come up with tomorrow and if they are off to the side I will just throw them back and go for Lawn. Does Lawn GA ever sell out in minutes for popular bands at the Gorge?
    I can't speak for sales at the Gorge, but I would think that if you go for the lawn right out the gate, you would be ok, as people usually select 'best available' or better sections first.
    So Spin has an article talking about how Tool plans to start streaming their library 'in advance of the new album' but that's really all the article says.

There's no mention of a timeline, and more importantly no official comment from the band.

http://www.spin.com/2017/03/tool-streaming-new-album-spotify-apple-music/
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

So Spin has an article talking about how Tool plans to start streaming their library 'in advance of the new album' but that's really all the article says.

There's no mention of a timeline, and more importantly no official comment from the band.

I just came here to post the same thing! No big deal if they don't since I already own everything on CD. Would make them a little more accessible though.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

I just came here to post the same thing! No big deal if they don't since I already own everything on CD. Would make them a little more accessible though.
    I hesitated to just leave the link as it says 'tool-streaming-new-album.'

I felt the need to issue a disclaimer in advance so as to not cause hysteria. : )
  • FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Can you ask Spin if Aenima on vinyl is in the works?!
    FrankY59 said:

Can you ask Spin if Aenima on vinyl is in the works?!

Right? F the streaming, how about a 20th anniversary remastered vinyl?
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    Good luck with sales today!! Crossing fingers my wife gets through.
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
    I saw some images of the Gorge for the first time this morning, and I am f'ing jealous, that place looks amazing!!!

Good luck everyone!
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited March 2017

I have an extra Bangor ticket in section 3 for face value if anybody needs one.

*sold
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Managed to get seats for Calgary 35 minutes after they went on sale. Didn't want to get excited until I knew we had seats, now I'm STOKED!!!!!
    Got level 202 row 12 at the Gorge and my friend snagged 2 Lawn GA's. I am thinking of taking the Lawn GA's from him and giving him the floor seats.
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    Got my tickets for Vancouver. Show #6 for me!
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
    Fighting against the bots is a pain!
  • tbergs said:

Tell me about it. No tix yet and about to call 'er quits.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

tbergs said:

Tell me about it. No tix yet and about to call 'er quits.
    I got through on one, but then it gave me some weird processing error when I tried to log in to ticketmaster and then it was back to the bot board. Really frustrating to see hundreds of tickets up on Vivid and Stub Hub already with their $60 mark up at minimum for upper deck.
  • toolietoolie Posts: 388
    Hate the bots. Still bitter over The Hip shows last summer.
    tbergs said:

• HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    edited March 2017
    I got locked out going for the Gorge this morning. If anyone has any extras I'm looking for any two for my son and myself. Will Paypal right away. (541)579-4347
    Post edited by Horos on
    #FHP
    Horos said:

I got locked out going for the Gorge this morning. If anyone has any extras I'm looking for any two for my son and myself. Will Paypal right away. (541)579-4347

I have two in section 202 that I am possibly selling. I will let you know later tonight. Keep trying to buy tickets as I may not be selling them for sure. We can transfer through Livenation if we do this.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    PJNB said:

Horos said:

I have two in section 202 that I am possibly selling. I will let you know later tonight. Keep trying to buy tickets as I may not be selling them for sure. We can transfer through Livenation if we do this.
    Cool. Tried for an hour while at work. Can't keep trying today. Let me know if you're going to sell.
    #FHP
    edited March 2017
    Nothing too insightful, but a fun article all the same. (Also 14 months old)

http://www.dallasobserver.com/music/there-will-never-be-another-band-like-tool-7931988

• rattzeyrattzey Posts: 875
    ISO 1 ticket for Calgary
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
    Question for those that have seen Tool from different seat locations. Is it possible to get to close at a Tool show? I am planning on getting as close as possible for Tool at Boston Calling but is there a point that you are too close and miss the light show and the sound is not as good? I am going to The Gorge as well and am sitting on the lawn so I will be able to take it all in there. Just wondering if anyone has been super close before whether it was for a festival or not and curious what their experience was.
  • iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290
    PJNB said:

Question for those that have seen Tool from different seat locations. Is it possible to get to close at a Tool show? I am planning on getting as close as possible for Tool at Boston Calling but is there a point that you are too close and miss the light show and the sound is not as good? I am going to The Gorge as well and am sitting on the lawn so I will be able to take it all in there. Just wondering if anyone has been super close before whether it was for a festival or not and curious what their experience was.

For the two Tool shows I've seen, I was in a lower bowl section for one and upper bowl section for another, both arena shows. I would be away from the stage to take in the full light show. The sound was fine for the shows I was at.

I can't say how an outdoor Tool show would be, have a fun time at both shows.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    I've seen Tool like 5 times. I'd say it's not worth it trying to get close at a festival. The sound and visuals are best near the sound booth. Also Tool fans are not easy to squeeze by so if you want to get close get there early.

Plus there have some douche fans so why be be squeezed up against them?
  • At the River's Edge Festival, things got very physical the closer you got to the stage. Lots of people trying to squeeze past you in ignorant fashion. Many punches and tons of shoving. It was excessive actually.

My buddy and I had several drinks that day, felt like we were tough guys, hung in there and emerged no worse for the wear. But we definitely had to amp it up. It actually added to the experience, but I wouldn't do it like that again- ain't nobody got time for that.

Assigned seating wasn't anything like that. In Spokane, people seemed to just really get into the music and respect each other while doing so.

At the River's Edge Festival, things got very physical the closer you got to the stage. Lots of people trying to squeeze past you in ignorant fashion. Many punches and tons of shoving. It was excessive actually.

My buddy and I had several drinks that day, felt like we were tough guys, hung in there and emerged no worse for the wear. But we definitely had to amp it up. It actually added to the experience, but I wouldn't do it like that again- ain't nobody got time for that.

Oh man, no thanks……. I’m all of 5’7”, and while I had my share of fun in the mosh pits or fighting through the crowd to get up close back in the ‘90s, I’m looking at 40 next month. No way I’m going to deal with the sea of bodies pressed up against me from all sides. I’m all about reserved seating when I have the option. When I don't, I like having my personal space, so I'm forced to hang near the back. It is what it is.

@ Monster Mash in 2015, we were several hundred yards from the stage, and I was lucky enough to get a spot on a slight incline so I could see the stage. That was good enough for me.

With the exception of the vocals (let’s face it, Maynard’s vocals are never turned up enough, and at that show in particular there were issues – there were no vocals at all for the first part of the Grudge, I’m pretty sure that was a technical problem) I had no problem with the sound, and the light show was amazing. Granted, wind can affect sound, but other than that, with the sound systems these days I don’t think you have much to worry about at an outdoor venue (I was SHOCKED at how good PJ sounded at Fenway last year, and Foo Fighters the year before)

@PJNB – go with the flow buddy, I wouldn’t overthink it. If you can’t get close enough to see the musicians, you’re still going to have an awesome time, they are hands down one of the best live shows IMO. (ALTHOUGH I do expect a ton of college kids at Boston Calling, and it won't be nearly as aggressive a crowd as there was at Monster Mash, so you may be able to get up fairly close without all that much effort or discomfort)
    Thanks for the advice. I don't mind mixing it up a bit with a tough crowd but if someone is trying to get in front of me every 10 secs that would definitely take away from the experience. I am just going to wing it and see what happens. Going solo is going to make it a lot easier and I am not the type to barge my way in front of people so what ever spot I find that is where I will stay if the sight line is decent. Merkin Baller (can't tag you since someone else has the name Merkin lol) when the show gets closer and you have your plans set hit me up and I will let you know what I am up to. I am catching a bus into South Station sometime on the 28th and heading right over to the show to catch some of the early acts.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    I can't picture "college kids" seeing TOOL. The last time TOOL put out an album those kids were 10-12 years old. I just can't see the demand to be there.

At Governors Ball here in NY I can see 60K people watching Whiz Kalifa and 10K watching TOOL.
  • I can't picture "college kids" seeing TOOL. The last time TOOL put out an album those kids were 10-12 years old. I just can't see the demand to be there.

At Governors Ball here in NY I can see 60K people watching Whiz Kalifa and 10K watching TOOL.

You'd be surprised.