Good News

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Seeing all of those people lined up in Florida to give blood...an uplifting collective act in light of such horror.
  • hedonist said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan on these re-creating of photos. Why? Leave the original beauty as is. Just seems forced otherwise, at least to me.

All the shit going down these days, been searching out truly positive stories/observances, trying to contribute my own as well. No fanfare or views or going viral needed either. Doing alright with this.

People have been kind way before the internet's exposure. May it continue to be that way.

Fine.
    Can you not appreciate that a family after all the years remains together and wanted to capture that.
    It is rare that a fully intact family goes for photos.

hedonist said:

Honestly, I'm not a fan on these re-creating of photos. Why? Leave the original beauty as is. Just seems forced otherwise, at least to me.

All the shit going down these days, been searching out truly positive stories/observances, trying to contribute my own as well. No fanfare or views or going viral needed either. Doing alright with this.

People have been kind way before the internet's exposure. May it continue to be that way.

Fine.
    Can you not appreciate that a family after all the years remains together and wanted to capture that.
    It is rare that a fully intact family goes for photos.
    I said I don't get it. I'm nostalgic as they come, but to re-do, not my thing. Happy with the original photos I've got ("intact family" included) - and if others aren't? Have at it!
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Appeals Court Hands Obama Administration Major Win In Net Neutrality Case
    Under the law, broadband internet providers “must treat all internet traffic the same regardless of source.”
    06/14/2016 10:55 am ET | Updated 2 hours ago

WASHINGTON — In a long-awaited decision, a federal appeals court on Tuesday upheld the Obama administration’s net neutrality rules, dealing a punishing blow to telecom and cable companies that have sought to overturn the regulations.

Characterizing the government’s net neutrality effort as an “attempt to achieve internet openness” and “the principle that broadband providers must treat all internet traffic the same regardless of source,” the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit concluded that the rules are authorized under current law.

http://new.www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/court-obama-net-neutrality-rules_us_571a29dce4b0d4d3f722fc46?section=

Falling down,...not staying down
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    ^^^ Good news indeed.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • The poison from the poison stream caught up to you ELEVEN years ago and you floated out of here. Sept. 14, 08

• Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    awesome story ! thank you.

Godfather.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited September 2016
    Kat said:
    This looks so sweet :) what a nice guy !
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    g under p said:

Kat said:
    I was a waiter once and if that man sat in my section I would've taken care of him the in very same way. Even give up tables to complete that man's meal. I believe when one is willing to give of themselves to others, it comes back or returns to one in the uniquest of ways sometimes never knowing it has.

Peace

I think the best part of that story was he just sat and talked with him like he was a friend.
    Just saw a news piece about these kids from Paraguay who turn garbage into musical instruments. There's a film about them coming out called Landfill Harmonic. Very inspiring to see children playing Ode to Joy.

Just inspiring, period.

(none of the links I found worked, but looks worth catching it if you can)
    Well, yeah. I thought that amid such shitstorms happening, this was pretty nice and uplifting to see.

(though feel free to look away)

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    hedonist said:

Well, yeah. I thought that amid such shitstorms happening, this was pretty nice and uplifting to see.

(though feel free to look away)

Hey we need much more of that in these harsh times. I do wonder what precipitated that awesome gesture?

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

A movement, g. A nice one - admirable, really (though at times turned ugly, as shown below).

This young man fucking rocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_59kJXOLbKg
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    This is really cool! Will be a great help for people living in poor, arid lands who must carry water long distances. I love stuff like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVnnyRWgBFw
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

That was awesome. More ingenuity from capable people to help people, please. :)
    Well hell. This / we could use a boost - a little something, anything, I'll try it all!

I'm not on Facebook but saw a link to this earlier. Found it quite touching, quite sad, and quite sweet.

Therapy dogs (and ducks too, apparently!) are such a gift. As is for the mother who posted, and for her son.

https://www.facebook.com/4pawsforability/photos/a.479071498772761.127386.182576231755624/1359603430719559/?type=3&theater
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited October 2016
    hedonist said:

Well hell. This / we could use a boost - a little something, anything, I'll try it all!

I'm not on Facebook but saw a link to this earlier. Found it quite touching, quite sad, and quite sweet.

Therapy dogs (and ducks too, apparently!) are such a gift. As is for the mother who posted, and for her son.

https://www.facebook.com/4pawsforability/photos/a.479071498772761.127386.182576231755624/1359603430719559/?type=3&theater

Very cool. I can't imagine what mom or the kid have gone through.

Yellow labs* are such great dogs. I still think of my now long gone sweet Ariana. :smile:

*And black and chocolate labs too!
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Got my hopes up with this thread, thought maybe Trump and Clinton withdrew...carry on...
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    Bump to get open threads on page 1
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    edited November 2016
    Kat said:
    I saw that on the morning news yesterday... Okay, it's very good that the kid caught the baby (who may or may not have been hurt from a fall like that)... That the mother is calling it a "miracle" (as though she means it literally) is a bit irksome for me. I mean, a kid caught a baby who fell. It's not a miracle for crying out loud. I also wouldn't call the kid a hero (though would to his face, because positive reinforcement is good sometimes). It's simply lucky that he happened to be there and saw it happening, and any person who was in the position to keep a baby from hitting the ground would do so - it's really a matter of instinct. Also, this kind of thing happens all the time. It's just that most mothers don't make it a matter of public record. But anyway, not trying to poop on your parade or anything, even though I guess I did, sorry. I just found the story a little annoying - so much hoopla and really a big overreaction to a very normal occurrence.
    (btw, there are many, many changing tables with "seatbelts" on them so that this can't happen. Maybe the best part about this story is that those belts will become mandatory)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:
    I saw that on the morning news yesterday... Okay, it's very good that the kid caught the baby (who may or may not have been hurt from a fall like that)... That the mother is calling it a "miracle" (as though she means it literally) is a bit irksome for me. I mean, a kid caught a baby who fell. It's not a miracle for crying out loud. I also wouldn't call the kid a hero (though would to his face, because positive reinforcement is good sometimes). It's simply lucky that he happened to be there and saw it happening, and any person who was in the position to keep a baby from hitting the ground would do so - it's really a matter of instinct. Also, this kind of thing happens all the time. It's just that most mothers don't make it a matter of public record. But anyway, not trying to poop on your parade or anything, even though I guess I did, sorry. I just found the story a little annoying - so much hoopla and really a big overreaction to a very normal occurrence.
    (btw, there are many, many changing tables with "seatbelts" on them so that this can't happen. Maybe the best part about this story is that those belts will become mandatory)
    It's a miracle that baby didn't break it's neck had the sibling not been there. That's how fast things happen w/ kids of all ages.
    It's nice to see videos like that showing how humans should look out for each others safety.
    edited January 2017

PJ_Soul said:

Kat said:
    It's a miracle that baby didn't break it's neck had the sibling not been there. That's how fast things happen w/ kids of all ages.
    It's nice to see videos like that showing how humans should look out for each others safety.
    It's not a miracle at all, just dumb luck, especially since most babies aren't seriously injured when they have falls like that anyhow (though it is possible, of course). I am happy the baby wasn't hurt... I fully expect any person to catch a falling baby, and sure I'll give them credit for a good catch, but I'm not about to call it a miracle. If that's a miracle, then fucking just about everything is. I just don't like the misuse of the concept of miracle I guess. The only really impressive thing is that the kid happened to be there at the right time and was quick enough to make the catch. So kudos to the kid for his quick motor skills for sure. Some people are more clunky than that.
    Yeah, sure, it's nice to see people not get hurt on video, and I suppose it's nice to see family members not just stand there and watch a baby smash on the floor when they could have prevented it, but it's not exactly awe inspiring.
    I know I'm coming off a curmudgeon. I'm not, really. It's just all the fanfare is silly, lol. However, it did bring awareness to changing table safety. As I said, maybe it will make safety straps on the things mandatory. I'm actually surprised that they're not already.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,009
    hedonist said:
    Wow! Thanks for posting that. There are some fantastic people in this world doing selfless things to help others. We need to hear about more stories like this.
    Kat said:
    Those made me smile!
    edited March 2017
    Well...it's not news...but it's very good!
    He just wants to play! Have a beautiful weekend everyone.

https://www.facebook.com/ipandacom/videos/1242620132488813/

Added: But this one's good news. :)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/vflt/emmacooke24/joyful-tidings?utm_term=.fyvXxGqKB3#.fsJLQeE83B
    Post edited by Kat on