Post your stereo system!

Comments

• reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

reesdog said:

Does anyone know much about these Klipsch speakers? I know they're an American brand and I've read good reviews online, just wondering if anyone on here has heard them and if they have any thoughts...?

I have a lot of thoughts on Klipsch, although not necessarily those. I think they will be very good for TV although you should probably have a center channel. The Monitors are much better musical speakers than those Klipsch, even if they were the same size.
    Yeah thats what I though too mrussel1, keep the Monitor's for music only as I'm very pleased with them and the Klipsch for TV. The Monitors are floorstanding size so quite a bit bigger than the new Klipsch's, though these are very large for "bookshelf" speakers..
    Yeah.. Klipsch use a horn design which amplifies the highs. I find them a little bright for music, but that's a pet peeve of mine. Bright speakers give me listening fatigue for music. On the flip side, it makes it easier to understand words on movies, tv shows, etc. That's why I find Klipsch and Def Tech better suited for home theater or all purpose listening, rather than audiophile.
    Thanks man, sounds like I made the right choice in splitting things up and making things more pure for the different forms of audio..

A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
  • reesdog said:

So, I've had a bit of a swap around and added some new gear, basically splitting up what I had so I have two set-ups, one for listening (mostly vinyl) and one for TV (movies, sports etc)...

Music set-up:
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Rega RP3 with Elys Blue cartridge 
    Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20
    Monitor Audio Bronze 5's
    Added new shelving for records here..

Then for my TV set-up:

Samsung 50" UHD 4K TV
    Yamaha RX-V481 
    Klipsch RP-150M's
    Apple TV

The guy in-store said the Klipsch speakers will need around 100 hours of play before they burn in properly, so that should be interesting. The plan is to eventually get rid of the Cambridge amp and purchase proper pre and power amp's for the vinyl set-up.. :)

Did you turn that Kallax on it's side? If so be careful.
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    reesdog said:

Does anyone know much about these Klipsch speakers? I know they're an American brand and I've read good reviews online, just wondering if anyone on here has heard them and if they have any thoughts...?

I have never heard a pair of Klipsch speakers that wouldn't benefit from adding a good subwoofer. They have a characteristic brightness that is appealing to some. The ones I have owned really came to life when I paired a sub.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV

reesdog said:

So, I've had a bit of a swap around and added some new gear, basically splitting up what I had so I have two set-ups, one for listening (mostly vinyl) and one for TV (movies, sports etc)...

Music set-up:
    Monitor Audio Bronze 5's

Then for my TV set-up:

Samsung 50" UHD 4K TV
    Yamaha RX-V481 
    Klipsch RP-150M's
    Apple TV

The guy in-store said the Klipsch speakers will need around 100 hours of play before they burn in properly, so that should be interesting. The plan is to eventually get rid of the Cambridge amp and purchase proper pre and power amp's for the vinyl set-up.. :)

Yeah thanks, but it's fine, instructions says so, plus it's those bigger 5x5 ones that have had the toppling issues. The ones I have are the Expedit range..

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

I have never heard a pair of Klipsch speakers that wouldn't benefit from adding a good subwoofer. They have a characteristic brightness that is appealing to some. The ones I have owned really came to life when I paired a sub.
    Ok thanks, I might do that. This set-up is mostly for TV though, not much music, have been suggested a centre channel speaker as well..

• MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited January 2017
    reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Music set-up:
    Monitor Audio Bronze 5's

Then for my TV set-up:

Samsung 50" UHD 4K TV
    Yamaha RX-V481 
    Klipsch RP-150M's
    Apple TV

Yeah thanks, but it's fine, instructions says so, plus it's those bigger 5x5 ones that have had the toppling issues. The ones I have are the Expedit range..

I wouldn't worry at all about them at all, the only one I have ever seen collapse is the one 5x5 (the image you always find online) that was put together wrong and moved full. lol, who does that.
    MedozK said:

reesdog said:

reesdog said:

Music set-up:
    Monitor Audio Bronze 5's

Then for my TV set-up:

Samsung 50" UHD 4K TV
    Yamaha RX-V481 
    Klipsch RP-150M's
    Apple TV

I wouldn't worry at all about them at all, the only one I have ever seen collapse is the one 5x5 (the image you always find online) that was put together wrong and moved full. lol, who does that.
    Yep, totally agree..

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,852
    Bump!
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    My monitor audio floor standers are breaking in nicely
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    bflynn1 said:

That's good to hear.. They are on my list, along with some PSB's.
    mrussel1 said:

bflynn1 said:

I finally rearranged my music room and was able to get them nice and spread out from one another. It made a huge difference with the way the sound fills the room.
    bflynn1 said:

mrussel1 said:

bflynn1 said:

I finally rearranged my music room and was able to get them nice and spread out from one another. It made a huge difference with the way the sound fills the room.
    Yeah a lot of people don't realize that you can have too big of speakers for your room or have them positioned incorrectly for your listening point. It definitely takes some tinkering to get it right.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    bflynn1 said:

I want those, so bad!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

bflynn1 said:

I want those, so bad!
    You won't be disappointed if that's the route you decide to go!
    I have Monitor Audio floorstanders too, they sound so good, a lush sound, but yes positioning is essential..
    So, where did you guys purchase your Monitor Audio speakers???? Amazon? Local store?? Also, how far apart are you positioning these speakers?
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    I brought mine new locally from a very good hi-fi store. I'm in New Zealand, so I'm not sure who would be importing them to the states.
    I have these speakers about 2.5 metres apart, that works best for the room I have them in, they definitely need some distance apart for optimum listening pleasure..
    reesdog said:

I brought mine new locally from a very good hi-fi store. I'm in New Zealand, so I'm not sure who would be importing them to the states.
    I have these speakers about 2.5 metres apart, that works best for the room I have them in, they definitely need some distance apart for optimum listening pleasure..

Thank you!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    I got mine on Amazon. I'm here in the states. I also have them spaced about the same distance as reesdog.
    Crutchfield also sells Monitor. They are an official dealer.
    mrussel1 said:

Crutchfield also sells Monitor. They are an official dealer.

Thanks fellas!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Getting settled in a new house and just got the home theater together. This is the fourth house that this system has been in and each room has been different in terms of size, layout and materials.

The reason I have had good results is that my AVR has a room analysis mic and I learned how to use it correctly.

Those who are shopping for AVRs would do well to find one that can tune and compensate for different speakers and rooms.

That is all.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    chadwick said:

used to crank these infinity & the surround sound speakers. wish i had them now.

Ohh the infinity SM series. Had some myself, they finally rotted away after 20 years. They were workhorses.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Interesting. I am seriously considering getting a subwoofer for my setup... they are fucking expensive though, and I need a klipsch because my speakers are, and that's just how I have to have it. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Interesting. I am seriously considering getting a subwoofer for my setup... they are fucking expensive though, and I need a klipsch because my speakers are, and that's just how I have to have it. :lol:
    how big are your main speakers?
    you prob don't need a sub.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Agreed, if you have full range speakers AND they are only being used for music, you should not need a sub. But if you do need a sub, there are some excellent, excellent internet only sub manufacturers that are as good if not better than 95% of the retail subs (except JL's) and a tiny fraction of the cost.
    PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

I bought a used Klipsch sub a few years ago for $200.00. SW-12 I believe. I went from hearing records to feeling them.

As a disclaimer I should mention that my listening room is quite large. My speakers in that system are Klipsch bookshelf models. They don't go low enough for my taste.

Also, positioning and setting the appropriate crossover frequency for your speakers and sub is critical. I've heard systems with subs that sounded awful and some that sounded great.
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Agreed, if you have full range speakers AND they are only being used for music, you should not need a sub. But if you do need a sub, there are some excellent, excellent internet only sub manufacturers that are as good if not better than 95% of the retail subs (except JL's) and a tiny fraction of the cost.
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Full range is relative. If you have bookshelf speakers with 4" woofers, you're probably not getting a lot of deep bass presence.

I'm a bass lover so take that with a handful of salt.
    dudeman said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Full range is relative. If you have bookshelf speakers with 4" woofers, you're probably not getting a lot of deep bass presence.

I'm a bass lover so take that with a handful of salt.
    True.. and I would be hard pressed to consider many bookshelves as full range. Although my first "real speakers" were Boston Acoustic HD10 bookshelves but they had 10" woofers, so those were pretty much full range.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2017
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

dudeman said:

reesdog said:

Mine are just bookshelf speakers. Good ones, but still.... From what I'm reading here, a sub really might improve the sound somewhat... no? I mean, my system sounds pretty good, but I do feel like it could be better just because of my smaller speakers. I do want to get some super duper amazing speakers, but not right now. Down the road a ways. I've also been told that if I add an external preamp even though my turntable has one built in, that might also improve my sound (assuming the goal is perfection).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata