Recent Wave of Immigrant Arrests - What Does it Mean?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited February 2017
    PP193448 said:

dignin said:

PP193448 said:

the mainstream media will have you believe that the recent wave of door to door deportations was mothers and hotel maids...but the truth is ALL those arrested and set for deportation have criminal records including rape and murder...and that's who you guy are defending.

And by criminal record you include the woman who was deported because she voted, right? That heinous act of voting..... for Trump.
    illegal immigrant who voted 3 times in just the last election ? that's sounds like a criminal record to me.

No. The immigrant who was brought to the US by her family when she was a young child, who had lived in the US all her life, who was employed, raising her children, and had landed immigrant status. She voted - once - in the election, and got deported for it a couple of weeks ago.
    Why would she vote if she's not a legal citizen?? Just asking. Can you go and vote in Canada if your not a citizen there?? It is inappropriate and extreme to deport her, but why would you do something illegal to potentially lead to deportation?? Plus if she's been in the US all her life, why did she not go thru steps to become a legal citizen?? Seems like common sense to me...
    From the news coverage, it just looked as if she was genuinely confused about whether she could vote or not. I can kind of understand that; she grew up in the US, it was her country. She had legal status, was legally allowed to work, etc. Why would anyone risk all of that unless you didn't actually understand you were risking it?

Anyway, she's back in Mexico, where she hasn't lived since childhood, and her children are in the US without their mother. Great outcome.
    Is she? I thought she has to serve her sentence first, then she gets deported. I may have read that wrong. I hope I did, I would rather her deported than spend 8 years in prison then get deported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/us/illegal-voting-gets-texas-woman-8-years-in-prison-and-certain-deportation.html
    Whoops, you're right, and thank you. Somehow I had forgotten that little detail - 8 years in jail first, then deportation. For voting.
    That is fucking ridiculous!!! At least Trump could pardon the jail time...
    Sure he could. But why would he? She's part of the violent horde of criminals just waiting to simultaneously take your jobs and sit on social assistance.

So now the state will pay to feed and clothe and house her for 8 years, when previously she was feeding and clothing and housing herself and her children.
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

At what point have we met our moral obligation to help poor people?

At the point when the system doesn't create poverty and an outrageous imbalance in the distribution of wealth... so essentially, when there are no more poor people. Does that work for you?
    Stop giving them incentives to remain poor then.
    So you're saying there's living wage jobs for everyone and those jobs are sitting unfilled?
    Word is that there is about to be roughly 10,000 career opportunities here:
    https://www.ice.gov/careers

PP193448 said:

dignin said:

PP193448 said:

the mainstream media will have you believe that the recent wave of door to door deportations was mothers and hotel maids...but the truth is ALL those arrested and set for deportation have criminal records including rape and murder...and that's who you guy are defending.

And by criminal record you include the woman who was deported because she voted, right? That heinous act of voting..... for Trump.
    illegal immigrant who voted 3 times in just the last election ? that's sounds like a criminal record to me.

No. The immigrant who was brought to the US by her family when she was a young child, who had lived in the US all her life, who was employed, raising her children, and had landed immigrant status. She voted - once - in the election, and got deported for it a couple of weeks ago.
    Why would she vote if she's not a legal citizen?? Just asking. Can you go and vote in Canada if your not a citizen there?? It is inappropriate and extreme to deport her, but why would you do something illegal to potentially lead to deportation?? Plus if she's been in the US all her life, why did she not go thru steps to become a legal citizen?? Seems like common sense to me...
    From the news coverage, it just looked as if she was genuinely confused about whether she could vote or not. I can kind of understand that; she grew up in the US, it was her country. She had legal status, was legally allowed to work, etc. Why would anyone risk all of that unless you didn't actually understand you were risking it?

Anyway, she's back in Mexico, where she hasn't lived since childhood, and her children are in the US without their mother. Great outcome.
    Is she? I thought she has to serve her sentence first, then she gets deported. I may have read that wrong. I hope I did, I would rather her deported than spend 8 years in prison then get deported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/10/us/illegal-voting-gets-texas-woman-8-years-in-prison-and-certain-deportation.html
    Whoops, you're right, and thank you. Somehow I had forgotten that little detail - 8 years in jail first, then deportation. For voting.
    That is fucking ridiculous!!! At least Trump could pardon the jail time...
    HaH! Not going to happen
    She was clearly part of the millions of illegal votes.
    Even if she voted for the wrong person.
    Yeah. I mean, she voted. That's a horrible crime. It's not like she raped anyone or something minor like that; then she'd get six months, let out after three for good behaviour. Of course, for that you need to be a white male athlete.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

At the point when the system doesn't create poverty and an outrageous imbalance in the distribution of wealth... so essentially, when there are no more poor people. Does that work for you?
    So you're saying there's living wage jobs for everyone and those jobs are sitting unfilled?
    Living wage job is not a right.
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited February 2017
    tbergs said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Unsung, do you have any idea what it's like to be poor or homeless? Ever visited your local shelter when they're all lined up to be let in for a cot to sleep on with everything on their back they own? Do you think people enjoy going to the salvation army? Getting food stamps or WIC support? You act like those who are poor live so well that they have no reason to get a job because they've got it made.

Quit your job, give away all your possessions and then go to the local job corps and see how easy it is to find a job that will pay you enough to support basic human needs; food, shelter and clothes. If only they could afford to pay for a membership to post on PJ's forum and put down you and your narrow minded ignorant viewpoint.
    Yes.

Odd, you list examples of problems that exist in this country yet you and other want to bring in more of these people from third world countries. How about taking care of the current ones without adding more.
    Post edited by unsung on
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

I didn't know I said it was. What about the question?
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504

a man robs a bank, he spends the money to feed his family and pay his rent when suddenly 6 and a half years later DNA testing ties him to the robbery and proves his guilt beyond reasonable doubt and is given 10 years in a federal prison and forced to pay fines and restitution .......ain't that a drag, I guess his family should have made better choices in life and convinced him not to rob a bank right ?

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

I want to live the lifestyle of a rock star. I deserve it because I said so.

a man robs a bank, he spends the money to feed his family and pay his rent when suddenly 6 and a half years later DNA testing ties him to the robbery and proves his guilt beyond reasonable doubt and is given 10 years in a federal prison and forced to pay fines and restitution .......ain't that a drag, I guess his family should have made better choices in life and convinced him not to rob a bank right ?

I would respond if I had any idea what you point was here.

Are you equating voting with robbing a bank?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

seriously. jesus.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

See, the answer is no, that there aren't jobs for everyone. But what underlies your position is the assumption that there is an open job for everyone.

really ?

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

really ?

What on Earth were you saying?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

See, the answer is no, that there aren't jobs for everyone. But what underlies your position is the assumption that there is an open job for everyone.
    So why give people the false hope that if they immigrate to the US, it will be all rainbows and unicorns? If we do not have the jobs, food, healthcare or other means to provide for people already here, why do we keep trying to adopt more and more? The US has turned into the cat lady.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    rgambs said:

really ?

We have to learn bafoonism it's the new language and soon to come Russian!!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

So why give people the false hope that if they immigrate to the US, it will be all rainbows and unicorns? If we do not have the jobs, food, healthcare or other means to provide for people already here, why do we keep trying to adopt more and more? The US has turned into the cat lady.
    My grandparents were told wonderful things about the US. This was in the early 1900s. I think most people come here for opportunity or to escape oppression. Contemprary immigrants come here for the same reasons. I can't think of the US without a welcoming immigration policy as so many people in this country are part of the immigration legacy.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

it's not false hope if it's still better than where they are.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Ms. Haiku said:

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

My grandparents were told wonderful things about the US. This was in the early 1900s. I think most people come here for opportunity or to escape oppression. Contemprary immigrants come here for the same reasons. I can't think of the US without a welcoming immigration policy as so many people in this country are part of the immigration legacy.
    we're all immigrants here. whether it's goes back one generation or 15...we're all immigrants.

also, I don't believe that it's false hope at all. look around the world and tell me that if you were in some of those countries/situations that you wouldn't be looking elsewhere to have the best life for yourself and your family. if you say otherwise, you're either lying to yourself or you need to take your blinders off.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

rgambs said:

really ?

cool, maybe it will replace Spanish ?

rgambs said:

really ?

Unreal.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:

rgambs said:

really ?

Unreal.
    he's just trolling.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mfc2006 said:

rgambs said:

really ?

Unreal.
    he's just trolling.
    I know it. That doesn't make any less disgusting, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

I readily admit there are limited opportunities, thanks for agreeing.

Now why do you want to import more poor when there are not opportunities for them to be productive?
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Now why do you want to import more poor when there are not opportunities for them to be productive?
    That's what my old great great great gran pappy used to say.
    dignin said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

That's what my old great great great gran pappy used to say.
    LOL!
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

it's not false hope if it's still better than where they are.
    Maybe I should say "exaggerated" hope.
    unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Maybe there would be more jobs waiting on them on farms and ranches if....oh what a conundrum.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Just read more articles about the DHS memos and the wall. Building a wall is activating a type of Cold War. Its wrong.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJPOWER said:

unsung said:

PJ_Soul said:

unsung said:

Word is that there is about to be roughly 10,000 career opportunities here:
    https://www.ice.gov/careers
    cool... 10,000 government jobs and a $30,000,000,000 wall....

brought to you by small government fiscally conservative republicans? lol