Richard Spencer

Comments

• AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

Annafalk said:

I don't know much about this guy but in general I think that violence is a weak way of communicating.

Sometimes when you wrestle with pigs you get dirty.
    Ok that doesn't make much sense to me.
    So if you want someone to change their thinking, you need to give them a punch? How will that help?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    I think what often changes bigots way of thinking is actual real contact with minorities. This means reasonable and respectful back and forth where each person empathizes and listens to the other person. When this happens, the prejudice person starts seeing the actual individual rather than the prejudice. Then they start breaking down and questioning the beliefs they held about that group.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    ^^^
    bingo
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Chicken lover! jed
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited January 2017
    You're not gonna change this clown's mind.

Just punch him in the face
  • Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I don't know much about this guy but in general I think that violence is a weak way of communicating.

So if you want someone to change their thinking, you need to give them a punch? How will that help?
    This guy isn't going to change his way of thinking. At least by punching him... he won't be so smug spouting his nonsense.

Arranging a play date with a minority is hardly realistic.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

You're not gonna change this clown's mind.

Just punch him in the face

Until he decides to shoot you.
  • AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

This guy isn't going to change his way of thinking. At least by punching him... he won't be so smug spouting his nonsense.

Maybe so but stranger things has happened..I don't think you take away hate with hate
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    unsung said:

Unsung... don't get worked up. This is just some nazi f**ker getting punched.

If it was some random dude minding his own business... then we can say "wtf?" But this isn't some guy minding his own business... this is a guy actively promoting hatred and as such... he's fair game.

I disagree. My position has been stated. You can't just go around hitting people that you don't agree with.
    unbelievably, I agree with unsung.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

punching him only confirms his prejudices.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487

unsung said:

If it was some random dude minding his own business... then we can say "wtf?" But this isn't some guy minding his own business... this is a guy actively promoting hatred and as such... he's fair game.

I disagree. My position has been stated. You can't just go around hitting people that you don't agree with.
    Come to the light. :)
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    unsung said:

unsung said:

The very, very, very white light. We wouldn't want any darkness mixed in there.
  • dignin said:

unsung said:

unsung said:

The very, very, very white light. We wouldn't want any darkness mixed in there.
    Lol
  • Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I'm not sure about that.

I'm actually in the middle on this one: as much as I play devils advocate justifying smacking him... in reality... it's not wise.

I feel nothing for the nazi, but the puncher gets himself in a lot of trouble- say nothing about how this could have gone very badly and been much worse aside from current legalities (nazi falls back and hits his nazi head on the ground and is seriously hurt).
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    "Only one thing could have stopped our movement - if our adversaries had understood its principle and from the first day smashed with the utmost brutality the nucleus of our new movement." - Adolph Hitler

It's not like this guys beliefs are simply "I like a free market and you don't", "I think more oil wells should be drilled".
    He has said "Does human civilization actually need the black race? Is black genocide right" and if it is "What would be the best and easiest way to dispose of them?".

Fuck this guy. He is lucky it was just a punch to the head. If I could go back in time I'd gladly punch baby Hitler in his crib.
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    what if that were Trump? all in favor of punches okay with punching Trump? In my mind, he's worse because he actually has power to act on his racist beliefs. Still wouldn't punch him.

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I'm not sure about that.

I'm actually in the middle on this one: as much as I play devils advocate justifying smacking him... in reality... it's not wise.

I feel nothing for the nazi, but the puncher gets himself in a lot of trouble- say nothing about how this could have gone very badly and been much worse aside from current legalities (nazi falls back and hits his nazi head on the ground and is seriously hurt).
    I feel nothing for the nazi either. I actually got a bit of pleasure out of seeing that. but at the same time, it's wrong.

if we are ok with punching a nazi for his beliefs, we have to be ok with it when he resorts to violence for ours.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• halvhalv Posts: 675
    vaggar99 said:

what if that were Trump? all in favor of punches okay with punching Trump? In my mind, he's worse because he actually has power to act on his racist beliefs. Still wouldn't punch him.

I think these are completely different situations. While I find Trump and his policies vile, he is not advocating for the genocide of an entire race.
  • Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I'm not sure about that.

I feel nothing for the nazi either. I actually got a bit of pleasure out of seeing that. but at the same time, it's wrong.

if we are ok with punching a nazi for his beliefs, we have to be ok with it when he resorts to violence for ours.
    Mmm... I'm not sure about that either.

If a person's beliefs are damaging to others... they should be challenged on them. And challenges can present themselves in a variety of ways: this idiot has been in many debates and hasn't budged from his position. Words and reasoning- what some seem to be suggesting as the cure- have proven to be toothless.

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I'm not sure about that.

If a person's beliefs are damaging to others... they should be challenged on them. And challenges can present themselves in a variety of ways: this idiot has been in many debates and hasn't budged from his position. Words and reasoning- what some seem to be suggesting as the cure- have proven to be toothless.
    I don't know what specifically would change him, but I have a strong feeling that if he does change in the future and tells his story about that change, it won't be because he got punched in the face, it will be because of a connection or a relationship to someone.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    This racist stuff makes me shake with anger and shed tears of sorrow.
    I, more and more, won't let anyone talk this way in my presence.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.

Annafalk said:

Annafalk said:

I'm not sure about that.

I don't know what specifically would change him, but I have a strong feeling that if he does change in the future and tells his story about that change, it won't be because he got punched in the face, it will be because of a connection or a relationship to someone.
    He will tell his story in a book and make mad cash.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    No sympathy from me. If you're a f'n nazi in 2017 and you get punched in the face it's because you're a nazi and it's 2017
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.

No sympathy from me. If you're a f'n nazi in 2017 and you get punched in the face it's because you're a nazi and it's 2017

Sympathy isn't required to decide you're not going to punch the guy.
    Malroth said:

*triggered*
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136

Agreed. I just don't have any sympathy FOR the guy who got punched. Dirtbags get what they get in my mind
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    unsung said:

Malroth said:

*triggered*

Triggered?
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171

Agreed. I just don't have any sympathy FOR the guy who got punched. Dirtbags get what they get in my mind
    except who decides who a dirtbag is? some people (might) think gays or a black man are dirtbags. by your definition the person that thinks that way would be ok punching a gay man or a black man. that's why you shouldn't use that it's ok to punch this guy no matter how big of a scumbag he is. obviously he is a piece of shit human being but we have to be very careful as a society to allow violence based on what our beliefs might be...because some people have some f'd up beliefs.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:

except who decides who a dirtbag is? some people (might) think gays or a black man are dirtbags. by your definition the person that thinks that way would be ok punching a gay man or a black man. that's why you shouldn't use that it's ok to punch this guy no matter how big of a scumbag he is. obviously he is a piece of shit human being but we have to be very careful as a society to allow violence based on what our beliefs might be...because some people have some f'd up beliefs.
    As a society, I am pretty comfortable with these general guidelines...

Punching black people for being black = not okay

Punching gays for being gay = not okay

Punching Nazis for being Nazis = Just fine