Tool

Comments

• Holland said:

I have never seen Tool live but am dying too. I am seriously thinking of making the 7-hour drive down to Boston to see them if they are doing day passes. I have a question though. I always wanted to see them in an arena setting and am wondering does a festival setting really not do this band any justice? Should I hold out and wait for a proper tour/show with all of the bells and whistles or do these guys give it their all no matter where they play?

If you have the chance you should go. There's no guarantee of a proper show in the future.

I've seen them festival and arena. Both were great!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • HollandHolland Posts: 73

Holland said:

I have never seen Tool live but am dying too. I am seriously thinking of making the 7-hour drive down to Boston to see them if they are doing day passes. I have a question though. I always wanted to see them in an arena setting and am wondering does a festival setting really not do this band any justice? Should I hold out and wait for a proper tour/show with all of the bells and whistles or do these guys give it their all no matter where they play?

If you have the chance you should go. There's no guarantee of a proper show in the future.

I've seen them festival and arena. Both were great!
    Ya I just looked back at their sets and the festivals run around 10 songs and arenas are 13. Not a huge difference really. I plan on waiting until the last minute on this one and see what my options are. Thanks for the advice.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Holland said:

Tool only plays an hour & 15 minute set on their own tour. Not worth a 7 hour drive to see them at a festival. Save your money and see other shows.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    Holland said:

I would prefer an arena show, but I've seen Tool 3 times at festivals, and have never walked away disappointed.

I think the Pixies had a full 2 hour set @ Boston Calling in 2015 (32 songs); it may be worth your time looking into other BC festivals to compare headlining sets if that's a concern.
    Even then, as far as the setlist itself goes, it depends on the festival. Tool's last festival appearance (Voodoo fest) was only a 10 song set, but of their regular 13 song set, they cut out only 1 album song you know (the other two were the instrumental version of their new song, & DC's [awesome] drum solo).

Thirtybillsunpaid hit the nail on the head too, there are no guarantees of future shows with this band.

7 hours is a long way, but if you've never seen them, it may be worth it.
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I started listening in 1993 but they would never come close to me.
    First time I saw Tool we drove 14 hours through the Rockies.From Lethbridge to Seattle.
    King Crimson opened for them at the Paramount.
    The show changed my life and I've seen them six times since but not since 2010.
    If you love this band, go.
    There is only one Tool and their shows are next level!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• What is this tweet?

Don't play with me, man.

• RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    edited January 2017

What is this tweet?

Don't play with me, man.

Oh shit!

People ask when the next Tool album will drop and I usually say in either another 10 000 Days or when is the next Olympics? Lol
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,622
    Is there a forum or Facebook group out there for Tool that is active at all? I lurk Reddit once and a while but even that is very slow and I have yet to find a good Facebook group similar to Pearl Jams. Anyone have a link to a site that is at least somewhat active?
  • PJNB said:

Is there a forum or Facebook group out there for Tool that is active at all? I lurk Reddit once and a while but even that is very slow and I have yet to find a good Facebook group similar to Pearl Jams. Anyone have a link to a site that is at least somewhat active?

Don't try to hard awaiting positive Tool news. It'll drive you mad.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Seeing this thread bumped made me think there was good news, but back to waiting again. Still hope they add some dates around those two festivals this summer.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    So there is no active group/forum out there for Tool? I find that really surprising with new news or not.
  • BV84003BV84003 Holt, MI Posts: 360
    Toolnavy and Fourtheye are a couple semi-active forums.
    2003 Clarkston MI #2 | 2004 Grand Rapids MI | 2013 London ON | 2014 Detroit MI | 2016 Toronto ON #1
  • PJNB said:

So there is no active group/forum out there for Tool? I find that really surprising with new news or not.

What is it you seek to discuss?

Lyrical interpretations of The Grudge? I'm not sure I can help you with that one. What the hell is that unreal song about?
    BV84003 said:

Cool thanks I haven't stumbled upon those two yet.

PJNB said:

Lyrical interpretations of The Grudge? I'm not sure I can help you with that one. What the hell is that unreal song about?
    https://toolnavy.com/archive/index.php/t-47327.html

I think I am in way over my head after reading that lol.
  • ^^^

Brilliant lyrics though eh?

Some great interpretations. I've read some others as well. I'm not totally sure myself after having my initial thoughts out to question by some excellent analysis on the part of others.

Tool. The thinking man's band.

Love 'em. I'll keep waiting for the next album as long as it is on par with the others.
    PJNB said:

BV84003 said:

PJNB said:

I wish I had a transcript of an old MSN Messenger discussion I had with a friend of mine regarding The Pot. We dove so deep into the lyrics of that song that we began confusing the living fuck out of our own selves.
  • PJNB said:

BV84003 said:

PJNB said:

I wish I had a transcript of an old MSN Messenger discussion I had with a friend of mine regarding The Pot. We dove so deep into the lyrics of that song that we began confusing the living fuck out of our own selves.
    and THAT is what they like!
  • 46 and 2 is pretty deep as well.

Lateralus? Ride the spiral to the end we may just go where no ones been!

* The spiral has kind of slowed down a bit. A local show or... of course... a release would get that thing spiralling again.
  • 46 and 2 is pretty deep as well.

* The spiral has kind of slowed down a bit. A local show or... of course... a release would get that thing spiralling again.

Maynard is in his 50's and just had a hip replacement done and I think they could STILL do 20-30 shows a year.

Danny constantly does shows, so yeah, I'd like to see the damn ball rolling.

I would love to here some deep cuts and ridiculous drum fills and time changes...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195

46 and 2 is pretty deep as well.

46 and 2 and Lateralus are awesome. That ending on Lateralus still gives me chills. You can feel that song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281

I need a girlfriend so I can see Tegan & Sara. I've been wanting to see them for years, but I'm not going with a dude friend, and going alone might be even more weird than that. I went to see Kacey Musgraves by myself and I swear to god everyone that walked by me gave me weird looks.

Stalker!! Did you have security watching your every move??? :rofl:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    PP193448 said:

I need a girlfriend so I can see Tegan & Sara. I've been wanting to see them for years, but I'm not going with a dude friend, and going alone might be even more weird than that. I went to see Kacey Musgraves by myself and I swear to god everyone that walked by me gave me weird looks.

Stalker!! Did you have security watching your every move??? :rofl:
    On the contrary. I was hoping to get attacked! :smiley:
    46 & 2 is the song that I have always given to people to listen to that have never heard of Tool. Love that song.

Also it looks like Chance the Rapper is going to be the headline on Friday May 26th for those that are going to Boston to see Tool leaving Saturday or Sunday for when they are going to play. I have a wedding Saturday night that I have to go to so fingers crossed they are playing Sunday like the are with the Governors Ball.
    Is it finally happening and if so how far out are we from a new album? I would love to get a new song or two at Boston Calling.

16 February, 2017 (11:02am)
    TOOL MOVES GEAR INTO NEW SPACE - MAYNARD WORKING ON VOCALS
    In speaking with Danny last night, he told me that the band has temporarily MOVED some of their gear into a larger space (across town) where MAYNARD is working on VOCALS for some of the new Tool material. I'm sure that he has already been doing this to some extent, but now he has more room to breathe and a better vocal booth.
    BMB

toolband.com/news/index.html
  • PJNB said:

Is it finally happening and if so how far out are we from a new album? I would love to get a new song or two at Boston Calling.

In speaking with Danny last night, he told me that the band has temporarily MOVED some of their gear into a larger space (across town) where MAYNARD is working on VOCALS for some of the new Tool material. I'm sure that he has already been doing this to some extent, but now he has more room to breathe and a better vocal booth.
    BMB

You beat me to it! I just saw this, and it's good news for sure.

They debuted a new instrumental "Descending" at the Monster Mash in '15, I wouldn't be surprised if they play an updated version of that in May.

Who knows? More than anything, I hope they get at least a good 90 minutes @ BC (which I think they will).

Did you buy a weekend pass, or are you holding out for single day tickets?
    edited February 2017

PJNB said:

BMB

You beat me to it! I just saw this, and it's good news for sure.

They debuted a new instrumental "Descending" at the Monster Mash in '15, I wouldn't be surprised if they play an updated version of that in May.

Who knows? More than anything, I hope they get at least a good 90 minutes @ BC (which I think they will).

Did you buy a weekend pass, or are you holding out for single day tickets?
    Ya I am holding out. I would love to go to all 3 days but my wife is in a wedding on that Saturday. Right now there is a 50/50 chance that Tool is playing on Sunday fingers crossed with Chance confirmed on Friday. Are you going?
    Post edited by PJNB on