Board Gamers?

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Still.. love the game Malarkey. And I loved the game Brainwashed, but I can't find that one ANYWHERE now.. and it was so fun!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    We got Cards Against Humanity for Christmas and it is a blast!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that's really fun for just 2 to play? Most games aren't that great without a group.

I'd like something challenging and a little complicated but not crazy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    rgambs said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that's really fun for just 2 to play? Most games aren't that great without a group.

Backgammon
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    rgambs said:

Cribbage?
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    played UNO deluxe on new years eve. it was fun.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly

rgambs said:

Backgammon
    Hobbes said:

rgambs said:

Cribbage?
    I'm looking for something more engrossing, something with story...might try the pathfinder adventure card game
    rgambs said:

Just got gifted an old school strategy game called Pente. And there is a solo version of play.. busting that puppy out tonight. From what I can see, it is the game upon which Othello was based. I could see you really enjoying a game like this. I'll let you know what I think.
    Never mind! I misspoke! Just googled this game. Based on a Japanese Stone game called ninkuki-renju. Gonna go learn this game?
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

Backgammon
    Hobbes said:

rgambs said:

Cribbage?
    I'm looking for something more engrossing, something with story...might try the pathfinder adventure card game
    7 Wonders Duel could be an option. It's a revamped version of 7 Wonders, but specifically for 2 players.

My wife and I will play games meant for more people, but modify rules/gameplay to make it better for just 2 players.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,772
    rgambs said:

I've heard really good things about Android:Netrunner; I own it, but I am intimidated by the manual and setup.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    rgambs said:

I just got Splendor, sort of card and token game. A bit strategy but not super intense. We watched a YT video to learn how to play.
    I'm looking for something *more* than the standard games...I told the guy at the game store, "Like Risk-with some strategy, but not super intense and goes on forever" He gave us some suggestions, ought Splendor, and I told him I would go back and pick his brain when they weren't busy.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863

Always loved Monopoly... when played properly, which no one ever does. :angry:

Oh dude... I play it right. I am hardcore about it. Back in HS my best friend and I would have monopoly matches that would go on for weeks, we would just leave the board and everything in place so we could continue! Can't find anyone to play with me like that now.
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    I love board games and card games though so much fun! I just recently got Doctor Who clue and Monopoly!
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    edited January 2017
    RKCNDY said:

rgambs said:

I just got Splendor, sort of card and token game. A bit strategy but not super intense. We watched a YT video to learn how to play.
    I'm looking for something *more* than the standard games...I told the guy at the game store, "Like Risk-with some strategy, but not super intense and goes on forever" He gave us some suggestions, ought Splendor, and I told him I would go back and pick his brain when they weren't busy.
    Axis and Allies

Also... i never played, but a recommendation from some trustworthy people: settlers of catan
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
    So going to the shore for a few days.  One of my friends and myself decided to check out this game place near me and pick up a few games.  The place itself was kinda unorganized but holy shot did they have a lot.  Mostly independent games and stuff.  We got Diamonds and Sushi Go.  Went to another friends house and tried them out, they were both pretty good.

Diamonds is a trick taking card game
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/152162/diamonds

Sushi Go is card game. 
    https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/133473/sushi-go

Both were pretty fun, liked Diamonds a little more.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    Ticket to Ride is a fun one. I also like Risk. And Settlers of Catan is a great game 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    I agree on Axis and Allies 

Machi Koro is also great as a card based strategy type game
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Ticket to Ride is a fun one. I also like Risk. And Settlers of Catan is a great game 
    I just played Catan for the first time about 2 months or so ago.  It's a very fun game.  It can be frustrating when you don't get the rolls you're expecting though.  I played a game a couple weeks ago and all I accomplished throughout the entire game was building 4 roads and 1 settlement.  Terrible!!  The one thing I really like about it is the board setup never has to be the same.  You really have to put your thinking cap on before you set up... and even then a lot of it comes down to chance.
    Exploding Kittens. The NOPE card is my favorite. This game is truly hysterical. There's even a "bag of dicks" card.
    LMAO...What???!! Ok, I definitely have to check this out!
    played this a few weeks ago, pretty fun game.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Played 5 Minute Dungeon over the weekend.

Pretty chaotic team cooperation player game. Better with more than two players.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • rgambs said:
    We got Cards Against Humanity for Christmas and it is a blast! Does anyone have a recommendation for a game that's really fun for just 2 to play? Most games aren't that great without a group. I'd like something challenging and a little complicated but not crazy.
    Magic The Gathering.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    I love a good board game! Jenga is always a good drinking go-to. Also love Monopoly, Pictionary, Trivial Pursuit (even though it's too damn hard), Chinese checkers, chess, Scabble, Balderdash is super fun, Cranium... Fun times. :) I'm usually up to try just about any board game.
    I like all of these 'old school' games also. I'm extremely competitive too. Not so much Jenga, but I love backgammon and the rest.

We used to play board games all the time and then on the holidays. We went down the shore for a week every year for 16 years (starting when my sister and I both had babies) and we would have late night Yahtzee tournaments. She would drink and I would speak Spanish. It was just a sister thing. And a lot of fun. 

I used to play a lot of board games with my son, creative ones. 

I also bought Cards Against Humanity one year but it was not what I expected. 

Now we don't play as much since the family got much smaller and broken apart.  But I love to play whenever I have a chance. 

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    edited November 2018
    Risk and Trivial Pursuit are my favorites...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Another fun one is Exploding Kittens.  If you have ever read the Oatmeal then you'll know the artist/maker.

My favorite part of the game is the "Nope" card.  When another player tries to do something against you , you hold this card up and tell them "NOPE!" lol
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 673
    In the vein of exploding kittens, Bears Vs. Babies is also quite fun, with a great NSFW expansion as well.
  • I highly recommend Balderdash if you are with a group of creative and funny people. Very, very fun. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    If you like Cards Against Humanity, try What Do You Meme. Pretty similar except you're captioning various memes with cards you draw. You need 4 or more to play, but I think it's a fun game, especially if everybody has a couple of adult beverages.
    Friend bought me one (late Christmas/birthday present) called Unstable Unicorns. Pretty fun. Think Magic the Gathering but not as difficult. little more simple/easier.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    I'm holding out for CharDee MacDennis someday.
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    Blokus