Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

bflynn1 said:

Do you guys use a specific brand of audio cables and/or are there ones to steer clear of?

Bestbuy has a "Hi-fi" shop in some of their locations. I wanted to buy some speaker wires, 10G. They came back with 8' cables for $300 each...

Someone PLEASE explain to me how one form of copper is 30x more expensive than another...

I ended up buying 10g cheaper wire...
    10 is really heavy unless you're doing very long runs. Either way that BB shit is a rip off. Monoprice oxygen free is all you need imo.
    See that's just it, Oxygen free? What does that have to do with my setup unless it's a 50K set up?!?
    Well... It really just means that it's clean copper vs some silver material that is made in Chinese wires and I think the lines get polluted. It's marginally more expensive but I have read in lots of places that it makes a difference. 50 feet of 12 gauge is only 20 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102747-50-Feet-Enhanced-Oxygen-Free/dp/B001UNGJF6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481205971&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=14+gauge+speaker+wire+monoprice

BTW - did you get that ground loop solved (if it was a ground loop)?
    99.7% copper will ALWAYS be 99.7% copper... This is why I don't get what people believe to be a better product. Snake oil I tell you, snake oil.

I have not had time to attempt a fix yet on the ground loop. Hopefully this weekend. Thx again for your knowledge!
    But it isn't copper... that's the point. It's copper clad, basically a wrap around aluminum. If you strip apart that cheaper wire, you'll see it's silver.
    99.7% copper means just that. if it's copper clad then it isn't 99.7%, no? It sounds like shenanigans are going on with copper impurities? I need to start reading the fine print on the copper wire I buy...
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

bflynn1 said:

Do you guys use a specific brand of audio cables and/or are there ones to steer clear of?

Bestbuy has a "Hi-fi" shop in some of their locations. I wanted to buy some speaker wires, 10G. They came back with 8' cables for $300 each...

Someone PLEASE explain to me how one form of copper is 30x more expensive than another...

10 is really heavy unless you're doing very long runs. Either way that BB shit is a rip off. Monoprice oxygen free is all you need imo.
    See that's just it, Oxygen free? What does that have to do with my setup unless it's a 50K set up?!?
    Well... It really just means that it's clean copper vs some silver material that is made in Chinese wires and I think the lines get polluted. It's marginally more expensive but I have read in lots of places that it makes a difference. 50 feet of 12 gauge is only 20 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-102747-50-Feet-Enhanced-Oxygen-Free/dp/B001UNGJF6/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481205971&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=14+gauge+speaker+wire+monoprice

99.7% copper will ALWAYS be 99.7% copper... This is why I don't get what people believe to be a better product. Snake oil I tell you, snake oil.

I have not had time to attempt a fix yet on the ground loop. Hopefully this weekend. Thx again for your knowledge!
    But it isn't copper... that's the point. It's copper clad, basically a wrap around aluminum. If you strip apart that cheaper wire, you'll see it's silver.
    99.7% copper means just that. if it's copper clad then it isn't 99.7%, no? It sounds like shenanigans are going on with copper impurities? I need to start reading the fine print on the copper wire I buy...
    I think we're talking past each other. My point is I believe there is a difference in speaker wire. It's the difference between CCA and copper. I would always buy copper. It's not much more expensive and it makes sense that it would be better since copper is a better conductor than aluminum,. I don't think there is an audible difference between say... Monoprice or Mediabridge copper speaker wire vs. Monster, which has always been overpriced.
  • mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:

bflynn1 said:

I think we're talking past each other. My point is I believe there is a difference in speaker wire. It's the difference between CCA and copper. I would always buy copper. It's not much more expensive and it makes sense that it would be better since copper is a better conductor than aluminum,. I don't think there is an audible difference between say... Monoprice or Mediabridge copper speaker wire vs. Monster, which has always been overpriced.
    Oh ok got it.

I just never understood for the high priced stuff. I get you.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    lolobugg said:

anyone here ever used an anti static gun for their turntable? I seem to always get a lot more pops and hiss in the winter time. wondering if this might make a difference?

I use the Thunderon Conductive Record Brush from Sleeve City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxO7iWdYo-c
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    MedozK said:

lolobugg said:

anyone here ever used an anti static gun for their turntable? I seem to always get a lot more pops and hiss in the winter time. wondering if this might make a difference?

Thank you so much. seems like a less expensive option. does it work pretty well for you?

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

MedozK said:

lolobugg said:

Thank you so much. seems like a less expensive option. does it work pretty well for you?
    Yes, works great for me. I just couldn't see spending $100 for the Milty Zerostat gun.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Ok just an update. I changed my mind last minute and went with the Yamaha 501 amp you had initially posted @mrussel1 I also decided to pony up a little extra and went with the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers. So even though I didn't exactly follow your recommendations to a tee, they lead me in the right direction for myself I think.

Current setup:

Yamaha A-S501BL integrated amp

Yamaha wireless Bluetooth adapter (for when I listen to Tidal via phone)

Onkyo C-7030 CD player

Audio Technica ATLP120 TT

Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 floorstanders
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    bflynn1 nice stuff there bro, just did a search on the Yamaha amp and it looks and sounds like a beauty, perfect for a 2-channel system. Very happy to hear you went with the Monitor Audio Bronze 5's, I have the same exact floor-standers and they are awesome, they aren't too big, which I like, they look really nice and the sound is exceptional. They take a little while to burn in, maybe 20 hours at least of playback, but once they are, wow they sound fucking good. Don't get me wrong, they still sound sweet out of the box, but there definitely is a burn in period where you will notice a significant upgrade of the sound.

Don't forget to toe the speakers in a little and give them some space off any back wall, this will make the listening experience if you're sitting right infront of them that much better. I used the round bits of foam they provide in the back port to reduce the bass a little as the room I have them in isn't huge.

I think you're going to be one happy punter, hope to hear your thoughts on the set-up soon!
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    bflynn1 said:

Ok just an update. I changed my mind last minute and went with the Yamaha 501 amp you had initially posted @mrussel1 I also decided to pony up a little extra and went with the Monitor Audio Bronze 5 speakers. So even though I didn't exactly follow your recommendations to a tee, they lead me in the right direction for myself I think.

Current setup:

Yamaha A-S501BL integrated amp

Yamaha wireless Bluetooth adapter (for when I listen to Tidal via phone)

Onkyo C-7030 CD player

Audio Technica ATLP120 TT

Nakamichi BX-300 cassette deck

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 floorstanders

Nice setup! Did you get it all in yet or still waiting? Let us know how it all sounds together.

And Rees is absolutely right.. don't forget to toe them. Creates much better imaging that way. And don't forget to listen in pure mode!
    Photo's if you can too please!
    Thanks guys! Everything is in. I'm setting it all up tomorrow. Pics to follow!
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    edited December 2016
    I have been a big fan of Onkyo CD players. Great bang for the buck.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:

Yep, the Onkyo C-7030 CD player is an exceptional player for the money.
  • MedozK said:

dudeman said:

Silly question... Or maybe not?

How can a CD player be a better quality sounding than another? It's digital.

@mrussel1 @reesdog

All done and it sounds fantastic! Can't wait to break in the speakers some more.

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

Circuit topology, quality of components, build quality, DAC....these all contribute to the experience of the end listener.
    bflynn1 said:

@mrussel1 @reesdog

All done and it sounds fantastic! Can't wait to break in the speakers some more.

Nice and well done, but the photo didn't show up...

reesdog said:

bflynn1 said:

@mrussel1 @reesdog

Nice and well done, but the photo didn't show up...

I was afraid of that. First time trying to post a pic.
    edited December 2016
    There we go.
    Post edited by bflynn1 on
    Looks great! Can you widen the speakers? You'll get a much better sound stage.
    mrussel1 said:

Looks great! Can you widen the speakers? You'll get a much better sound stage.

I can, I was actually fiddling with the spacing last night and I can see what you mean.
    Looks great and a dedicated cabinet for everything too! Yeah definitely widen the speakers a good couple of metres apart and toe them in slightly as already suggested. Then its crank it up! :)
    Monitors are gorgeous speakers. And that Yamaha looks pretty heavy duty for 85 WPC. Looks substantial.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    mrussel1 said:

Monitors are gorgeous speakers. And that Yamaha looks pretty heavy duty for 85 WPC. Looks substantial.

Those monitors look sweet! I've read some great reviews about them. They might be my next set of floorstanders.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Looking good. How is the low end on the Monitors?
    dudeman said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

Circuit topology, quality of components, build quality, DAC....these all contribute to the experience of the end listener.
    This ^
  • MedozK said:

dudeman said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

This ^
    Is A DAC. A game changer? All my CDs should be played through this?

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

This ^
    Is A DAC. A game changer? All my CDs should be played through this?
    I think it depends how you are connected from your CD player to your pre/amp, integrated or AVR. For example, if you are connected through old school analog cables, you are using the DAC in your CD player. If you are using the optical or digital output on the cd player, then you would be using the DAC within the pre amp/AVR, etc. That's because the cd player is sending a digital signal and the pre amp now decodes it.

Whether it's important or not depends on the rest of your chain of components. You are only as good as your weakest link (AVR, speakers, etc.) So you may not have a tremendous DAC in your CD player but if your speakers are no better, improving the CD player makes no difference. It all just leads you to spend more money.
    edited December 2016
    The Onkyo C-7030 has a Wolfson® 192 kHz/24-bit DAC, from what I researched about it..it was great. And it does sound very nice, so I connect through analog cables to my Marantz PM5005 integrated amp. I run my FLAC library through a Cambridge DacMagic 100 with a Wolfson 24-bit DAC, with a 24-bit/192kHz driverless USB Audio 1.0 input. I then connect it to my amp with analog cables. I am very happy with my digital set up.

I am still trying to save for a proper analog front end. I currently have a Music Hall 2.2 with an AT440MLb cartridge and Pro-Ject Speed Box S.
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    I love my Music Hall 2.2!!!! I need to finally upgrade my cartridge.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit