Pearl Jam 2017 Rock & Roll Hall of Fame DVD & Blu-ray Release

Comments

• Pearl34JamPearl34Jam TN Posts: 1,102

So there are people on this board who have never heard of Joan Baez or ELO? Damn, I'm old.

I'm a youngster and I even know who ELO are.
    "Must I keep explaining my decisions to you strangers of the Internet?" - Merch tent 8/19/16

'13: 10/27 Baltimore
    '15: 9/26 New York City
    '16: 4/16 Greenville (VS!), 4/26 Lexington, 4/28 Philly, 8/20 Wrigley
    '18: 9/02 Fenway
    '22: 9/16 Nashville
    ’24: 8/26 Noblesville, 9/12 Baltimore
  • jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Does it bother anyone else that PJ ranks at 4th place?

I understand that public voting results do not have much impact but still, it doesnt look good.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
    mcgruff10 said:

who the hell is electric light orchestra and how are they beating us? didn't I watch that series in grade school? that guy lamar was the main guy.

I listened to one ELO concert, on last week-end. They are between average and good. Nowhere close to PJ.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

who the hell is electric light orchestra and how are they beating us? didn't I watch that series in grade school? that guy lamar was the main guy.

I listened to one ELO concert, on last week-end. They are between average and good. Nowhere close to PJ.
    Jeff Lynne and ELO are between legendary and Hall of Fame. While Ed is getting some publicity with JayZ, Chris Martin, Sting, Bruce and Beyonce, Jeff Lynne travels/traveled in circles with Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and Bob Dylan. Jeff Lynne is a legend among musicians. Ed will get there, and PJ should get in on the first ballot, but let's not kid ourselves. PJ still has a ways to go for legend status outside of this board.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    jumbojet said:

Does it bother anyone else that PJ ranks at 4th place?

I understand that public voting results do not have much impact but still, it doesnt look good.

the public vote accounts for less than 1% if I remember correct.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    edited October 2016
    Joan Baez has a beautiful voice IMO.... if you like super hippy-type folk music for baby boomers who never developed their musical tastes beyond about 1970, lol. But there are a few songs she's done that I can enjoy.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,148
    jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

Jeff Lynne and ELO are between legendary and Hall of Fame. While Ed is getting some publicity with JayZ, Chris Martin, Sting, Bruce and Beyonce, Jeff Lynne travels/traveled in circles with Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, George Harrison, and Bob Dylan. Jeff Lynne is a legend among musicians. Ed will get there, and PJ should get in on the first ballot, but let's not kid ourselves. PJ still has a ways to go for legend status outside of this board.
    Pearl Jam have already reached legend status
    I miss igotid88
  • DesirePJDesirePJ Denmark Posts: 94
    aahh we need more people to vote for PJ.. is everyone voting for anyone else... I only use one vote .. for PJ
    Roskilde 1992
    Roskilde 2000
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

So there are people on this board who have never heard of Joan Baez or ELO? Damn, I'm old.

It's not an old thing.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    igotid88 said:

derbydave said:

mcgruff10 said:

Tell me you're joking?!?!
    Jeff Lynne & ELO were huge back in the day!!
    Face The Music is a CLASSIC with Strange Magic & Evil Woman...really good album!!
    I know I went thru several copies (had this one on vinyl and 8 track) of A New World Record & saw them on the Out Of The Blue tour!!!
    These guys should absolutely be in the R&RHOF
    he's never heard a Zeppelin song. So i don't think he is
    Hey I know some zeppelin songs but far from an expert.
    Dave, I still have no clue who they are.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    DesirePJ said:

aahh we need more people to vote for PJ.. is everyone voting for anyone else... I only use one vote .. for PJ

I'm only voting for PJ and I have multiple email accounts so I'm voting more than once per day.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    KC138045 said:

DesirePJ said:

I'm only voting for PJ and I have multiple email accounts so I'm voting more than once per day.
    Heard there is a lot of that in Ohio. Isn't that how Bush won Cleveland in 2004? :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited October 2016
    igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

I guess that is subjective. On an objective level, I see that Pearl Jam actually has 1.5 million more monthly listeners than ELO does on Spotify (PJ has 3.7m and ELO "only" has 2.07m). So PJ is more popular with Spotify users. However, the vast majority of ELO fans probably aren't on Spotify, so.....
    Anyway, ELO is good, if you happen to like their style. I think they have a few great songs, and that's it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    lolobugg said:

KC138045 said:

DesirePJ said:

Heard there is a lot of that in Ohio. Isn't that how Bush won Cleveland in 2004? :lol:
    hahahahaha
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    PJ_Soul said:

Wasn't Tupac a total criminal? I guess he is considered one of the best rappers ever (I don't like rap), and this is about the music career and not private life... It still stings a bit, though, when straight up criminals are inducted. I mean, he spent time in prison for sexual assault, jail for felonious assault, and a bullet from his gun killed a child. Didn't he shoot some cops too?
    And yet.... he's a rap superstar who will likely be a RRHoH inductee. Sigh.

you know how many people in there probably have records or have done illegal things as rock stars? we start basing criteria on whether an inductee has committed any crimes then I don't know how many people get in

edited October 2016
    pjalive21 said:

PJ_Soul said:

Wasn't Tupac a total criminal? I guess he is considered one of the best rappers ever (I don't like rap), and this is about the music career and not private life... It still stings a bit, though, when straight up criminals are inducted. I mean, he spent time in prison for sexual assault, jail for felonious assault, and a bullet from his gun killed a child. Didn't he shoot some cops too?
    And yet.... he's a rap superstar who will likely be a RRHoH inductee. Sigh.

you know how many people in there probably have records or have done illegal things as rock stars? we start basing criteria on whether an inductee has committed any crimes then I don't know how many people get in

Yes, this conversation has already happened in this thread. And I'm not talking just "illegal things". I am talking about violent crimes. Also, my post wasn't a suggestion.
  • pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    Pearl Jam is in 4th......

1. Journey

2. ELO

3. Cars
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Rick Ocasek is a dick. don't vote for him. :lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

edited October 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

I guess that is subjective. On an objective level, I see that Pearl Jam actually has 1.5 million more monthly listeners than ELO does on Spotify (PJ has 3.7m and ELO "only" has 2.07m). So PJ is more popular with Spotify users. However, the vast majority of ELO fans probably aren't on Spotify, so.....
    Anyway, ELO is good, if you happen to like their style. I think they have a few great songs, and that's it.
    subjective or not. if they haven't reached legendary status after 25 years then they'll never get it. But there's PJ radio both on Sirius and here.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

subjective or not. if they haven't reached legendary status after 25 years then they'll never get it
    True. I just have no idea who the judge is as far as who is and isn't legendary. I have no clue how one decides if Pearl Jam has reached "legendary status" or not.
    Tom Morello said in an interview on SiriusXm Volume. I'm paraphrasing "If Pearl Jam and Tupac aren't in first ballot. The Hall should just shut down."
    I miss igotid88
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    mcgruff10 said:

we only have 38,365 votes. let's go you lazy fucks!!! ;)

somehow we still have 38,365 votes. did everyone abstain from voting today?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

subjective or not. if they haven't reached legendary status after 25 years then they'll never get it
    True. I just have no idea who the judge is as far as who is and isn't legendary. I have no clue how one decides if Pearl Jam has reached "legendary status" or not.
    There are people who don't like The Beatles. But can acknowledge their legendary status.
    I miss igotid88
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

Try this on for legendary status:

Have sold over 60 million records.
    Were the biggest band in the land at one point.
    Still sell out stadiums after 25 years.
    Recently headlined some of the largest festivals.
    Their name and likeness as well as songs have been used in many movies over the years.
    Major League Baseball or Fox TV bought the rights to use their songs during the playoffs last year.
    ESPN references them constantly on their TV shows.
    Their has been a major motion picture made about them.
    Fought Ticketmaster
    Basically killed the live concert bootleg business.

Any more questions??????
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

Everyone gets to decide. I think for me, perhaps because of my age (I'm a contemporary of the members of PJ), I went through a couple of other eras, and my heros from the 70's and perhaps 80's are legends. 90's & beyond not so much, yet. But I really didn't mean to slight PJ, and can totally understand people considering them legends. My initial comment was only in reaction to someone else's opinion that ELO are average or good at best. Again, maybe because of my age, I see it way differently, and ELO were part of an amazing prog/post-prog movement with ELP, Yes, Kansas, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, etc... Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to create a tangent in this thread, and am happy both ELO and PJ are solidly in the running for induction. I think both bands are deserving, and hope they both make it in.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    TJ25487 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

Their name and likeness as well as songs have been used in many movies over the years.
    Major League Baseball or Fox TV bought the rights to use their songs during the playoffs last year.
    Fought Ticketmaster

Any more questions??????
    The MLB thing was 3 years ago
    I miss igotid88
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,447
    igotid88 said:

TJ25487 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

jeffbr said:

jumbojet said:

mcgruff10 said:

Fought Ticketmaster

Any more questions??????
    The MLB thing was 3 years ago
    Still legends! Hahaha! Forgive me as I am almost 50 and time flies when your this old.
    Okay I see the results now. I couldn't see it on my phone. PJ is 5th now with 40,819. 8 points behind Yes
    I miss igotid88
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited October 2016
    https://vote.rockhall.com/send.php

And, i just voted.

CURRENT STANDINGS

JOURNEY49906 votes
    ELECTRIC LIGHT ORCHESTRA (ELO)45352 votes
    THE CARS42575 votes
    YES40827 votes
    PEARL JAM40819 votes
    STEPPENWOLF27859 votes
    DEPECHE MODE24687 votes
    THE J. GEILS BAND21963 votes
    JOAN BAEZ17592 votes
    THE ZOMBIES17242 votes
    JANE'S ADDICTION17081 votes
    TUPAC SHAKUR16265 votes
    JANET JACKSON15933 votes
    CHAKA KHAN14150 votes
    KRAFTWERK11241 votes
    MC511039 votes
    CHIC10956 votes
    BAD BRAINS10304 votes
    JOE TEX3619 votes
    Post edited by cutz on
    jeffbr said:

Again, maybe because of my age, I see it way differently, and ELO were part of an amazing prog/post-prog movement with ELP, Yes, Kansas, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, etc... Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to create a tangent in this thread, and am happy both ELO and PJ are solidly in the running for induction. I think both bands are deserving, and hope they both make it in.

Of those bands you mentioned; Moody Blues deserves best to be inducted, IMO.
    I actually see Journey as the heavyweight in this year's running, along with PJ. I might be mistaken.