How's Your Luck Been in the Used Bins Lately?

Comments

• iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,290

After getting back from the Columbia show, I found in a used cd bin copies of vs, no code, and yield. Got them all for $15. I will use them for a project since due to seeing those albums played live.

I always buy copies of any pj album I find in the wild - I will give them all away at some point :)
    From the first time I met you Buck, I knew you were a good guy.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Thanks G
  • ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    This thread makes me miss my thrift store so hard I can't stand it. :frowning:
    That said the 'new' place still can't hold a candle to the old place, BUT I was able to get the Jungle Book and a bunch of bilingual Jules Verne kids books for my nephew for $3.

Never occurred to me to look through the CDs. That'll be next.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    ldent42 said:

That said the 'new' place still can't hold a candle to the old place, BUT I was able to get the Jungle Book and a bunch of bilingual Jules Verne kids books for my nephew for $3.

Yep, just picked up

Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder
    Kanye West - The College Dropout
    At The Drive-In - This Station Is Non-Operational (CD+DVD)
    Kerouac - Kicks Joy Darkness (compilation featuring EV)
    Weezer - Raditude (big Weezer fan, but ain't no way was I going to ever pay full price for this album, lol)

for 75 cents each at one of my local thrift stores.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209

ldent42 said:

Yep, just picked up

Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder
    Kanye West - The College Dropout
    At The Drive-In - This Station Is Non-Operational (CD+DVD)
    Kerouac - Kicks Joy Darkness (compilation featuring EV)
    Weezer - Raditude (big Weezer fan, but ain't no way was I going to ever pay full price for this album, lol)

for 75 cents each at one of my local thrift stores.
    Awesome, so many great deals with CDs.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Came away empty today. Seems that everything I find that's worth getting, I already have. I think I'll probably have to go the Amazon route to get some stuff I've been looking for.

Wife got a couple of DVDs though.
    Nice target

Nice target

Yea. Was excited to find it.
    MedozK said:

Nice target

I picked up original Young MC and Biz Markie CDs the other day :)

photo image_zpsgarei1ce.jpeg

photo image_zpsumzpumz7.jpeg

MedozK said:

Nice target

I picked up original Young MC and Biz Markie CDs the other day :)

photo image_zpsgarei1ce.jpeg

photo image_zpsumzpumz7.jpeg
    Nice
    Led Zeppelin ‎– The Complete Studio Recordings (10 CDs + Book) for only $7. Discs aren't perfect, but all tested error free in EAC. Was VERY happy to find this.

• toolietoolie Posts: 388
    So my wife just found at the local Salvation Army:
    The Clash - London Calling
    Still Little Fingers - Wasted Life
    The Pogues - Poguetry in Motion
    The Pogues - Of I Should Fall From Grace With God

All were framed, I don't think any have ever been played. And got them for $3.00 (Cdn!!) each. Pretty rare finds in our small town.
  • ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    MedozK said:

Led Zeppelin ‎– The Complete Studio Recordings (10 CDs + Book) for only $7. Discs aren't perfect, but all tested error free in EAC. Was VERY happy to find this.

the gold standard of all re-masters...that's an effing score.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
    Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac
    Original 1975 pressings.
    KENDUN A stamped on both sides, been looking for this specific pressing for a while in great shape.

Original Pressing for $1.25

Found this in the bins today sealed. It was traded in and the store must have thought it was a new reissue. I noticed it didn't have the hologram sticker on the back, so I knew it was older. On the back it had a RCA Music service stamp, so I took a chance on it knowing it would be all analog and a perfect sealed all analog ZOSO is something I didn't have...so bought it. Sounds great, and after some research, found out it is a 1975 club edition. Sealed from 1975, opened today at my house and finally played.. a good day!
    Perhaps the greatest record of all time sealed?
    Yes, thank you.
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    Rocks by Aerosmith for only $4.99

• bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    @MedozK when you're looking for CDs what's the easiest way to identify the pressings?
    edited September 2016
    bflynn1 said:

@MedozK when you're looking for CDs what's the easiest way to identify the pressings?

Matrix information is the best way to tell, just like the runout for vinyl pressings.

Also, I collect original pressings so if a CD has an SID code (IFPI ####) then it was pressed in 1994 or later. So unless I have read something about a reissue being good, I avoid those.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Matrix information is the best way to tell, just like the runout for vinyl pressings.

Also, I collect original pressings so if a CD has an SID code (IFPI ####) then it was pressed in 1994 or later. So unless I have read something about a reissue being good, I avoid those.
    Thank you. Vinyl is getting a little too expensive here lately so I've been interested in expanding my CD collection, but didn't know what to look for.
    bflynn1 said:

MedozK said:

bflynn1 said:

Thank you. Vinyl is getting a little too expensive here lately so I've been interested in expanding my CD collection, but didn't know what to look for.
    I love CD collecting. Hunting for 1st pressings, and you can get CDs cheap these days. If you know which pressings to look for and do your homework... the sound on some of the early pressings can rival that of vinyl.
    Found an early (1985) Japan-for-US pressing of REM - Reckoning

I heard Pearl Jam's Alive in the Salvation Army yesterday.
    I did find an original Ten CD in the thrift the other day. It will remain firmly planted in my 5 disc changer in the car :)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    found Tom Waits "Nighthawks at the Diner" LP for $4. Cover looks like hell, but the vinyl sounds great!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited November 2016
    Celebration Day
    Led Zeppelin

Flashpoint
    Rolling Stones

$4 for all on CD

• InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    All vinyl:

Peter Gabriel 3 - $9.99
    Signals by Rush - $9.99
    Dire Straits self titled $4.99

Also, I got Boston self titled recently for a buck and it plays without skips. :rock_on:
    Two nice finds this weekend

Original club edition pressing with MASTERDISK and RL in both sides of the dead wax :smiley:

and an original pressing with "Zanz Kant Dance", before Fogerty was made to change it.