Prophets Of Rage

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,705
    rssesq said:

the Rage tunes performed by BReal were surprisingly good. I think they could actually do a Rage tour with B frontin it and it would work out.

When Zach left the band in 2000, they actually jammed with B-Real with the intention of carrying on Rage with him. But decided against it. Then, because the three of them wanted to stay together, their record company suggested they become MACY GRAY'S BACKING BAND! Fortunately, someone (Rick Rubin maybe?) suggested they jam with Chris Cornell and they hit it off from the first jam session.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    Barclays show was great!

I didn't see the opener. I did see awolnation and they killed it. The crowd had ZERO interest in them unfortunately. They are such a good band too. So much energy from these guys. To hear Run as the opener was interesting. Great song.
    AWOL closed with Sail and I'm sure a lot of people went "ahhhhhh" and finally realized who they were.

The DJ set was fantastic! Not sure why there isn't more love for that!?!

Prophets were great for the music. My lord, to hear RATM perform their songs was amazing.

Breal and ChuckD did s great job emcing. It's not Zach but they did a great job.

Props to bReal for crowd surfing!!!

Ghost of Tom Joad was great with Aaron from AWOL. Again he brought his energy on stage. Morellos solo was amazing. I'd heard it via utube before, but to hear it live was amazing.

Pit looked fun but I wanted to hear the music so I opted side of the soundboard. Got to see Juliet Louis and Michael Moore. Ms Juliet danced the whole time she was there it seemed. She's a fan!

I got a setlist too. Sound board guy walked over and shook my hand and asked "how'd it sound?!?" GREAT SHOW!!! I told him.

Great sound. Great show.

Enjoy!!!
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164

Suziemay said:

I thought the show was solid and I'm glad I went because I've never seen Rage before, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Not really sure what I was expecting to be honest, might be the Pearl Jam factor (in that I just saw PJ at Fenway and Wrigley so every show I see following will not even come close to those experiences). Wish they played longer, I think they played a little over 90 minutes? Maybe that's normal, but I've come to expect 2 hour sets.

I didn't think there was much on-stage chemistry, like everyone was kinda doing their own thing. Not very cohesive.

I also would have preferred if they scratched the DJ set and played an extra 15 minutes. If there were no openers it would have been cool, but we already sat through two openers so I think we were sufficiently warmed up. I thought it really killed the energy. Or maybe just do 5 minutes.

I love Tom Morello, though, so I could watch him all night doing whatever. My favourite moment was Ghost of Tom Joad. Aaron Bruno did a great job, what a moment for him to join the Rage guys for a song. Oh, and they also did a mashup of Audioslave's Cochise and something that I didn't recognize. Probably a Public Enemy or Cypress HIll song. That was super cool.

At the end of the show, Brad Wilk handed his cymbal to someone on the rail (saw a Facebook post, he's a PJ fan so probably on here) and setlists were handed out. Tom also gave his pick to a very specific person, he made the security dude knew who he was pointing to and he didn't leave the stage until the person got their pick. I love seeing that stuff from bands, so that was super awesome.

Wakrat sucked. They were so angry and their lyrics were awful. "Gimme the gun, fuck the knife" "Now we're fucked really fucked, we are really super fucked, generation fucked". Seriously?!?!

I love Awolnation, but I think it's an odd combination since they have such a different fanbase. Rage fans are predominantly white men in their 30s-40s, I'm pretty sure Awolnation's fanbase are much younger and mostly female. I'm not sure if the crowd appreciated them. I think most people were probably pleasantly surprised at how good they were though. I saw them at Irving Plaza and they killed it, don't think they are suitable for an arena. Hopefully they are enjoying touring with Rage because they cancelled their own tour just to do this tour. They must be huge fans.

Also wonder if they were being overly ambitious by booking arenas. The entire top section of Barclays (the 200s) was blocked off completely. The floor was full at least, thank god. I was a little worried that it would be half empty.

Oh, and for those in GA, rough pit but hoping you're aware since these are mostly Rage fans. There was no way in hell I was going to go in the pit for this show. At multiple points during the show there was just a huge hole in the middle because there was a circle pit going. Looked like everyone was having fun but that would have been too rough for me.

Sorry if I sound negative! I think I went in with super high expectations. I was definitely much more pleased with the Audioslave show I saw a bunch of years ago, but then again, I'm a huge Chris Cornell fan, so probably unfair to compare.

You don't sound too negative. But it seems like I definitely had a better time at my show (Fairfax) than you did at yours. Like you, I'm all about Tom Morello. He's my second favorite guitarist ever (after Jimmy Page) and to see him doing these songs again was great. I've seen Rage twice; once in 1999 (got elbowed in face during Sleep Now In The Fire down in the pit) and in 2008 at Lollapalooza (I was SO FAR away) so this was actually my favorite Tom Morello experience (which includes two Audioslave shows). I thought he, Brad, and Tim rocked the joint as well as ever. And I thought B-Real and Chuck D did a fine job. Nobody can replace Zach, but if anybody could possibly stand-in for him, they picked the right guys. I thought B-Real was great on songs like Bullet In The Head. And the Cypress and Public Enemy songs were great too. Putting the lyrics of Public Enemy songs to No Sleep Till Brooklyn and Cochise was pretty sweet as well.

I don't think the opening DJ set went nearly 15 minutes. At least not at my show. It was about five to seven minutes tops. But I agree that it's unnecessary and frankly, I find very little talent or art in doing it. And I completely agree that Timmy C's band sucked beyond suck. He's a horrible singer and the guitarist sucked too. Awolnation just isn't my thing so I'm not even going to comment on them other than to say, yes, they cancelled their own tour and hopped on with Rage cause they're big fans.

And yes, a little overzealous booking arenas like Barclays. The place I saw them in Fairfax sat about 10,000 and it was near capacity. No way they're filling an NBA arena. But that's okay. I don't take Tom Morello as the type to look at the crowd and say "look at all the empty seats." I think he's the type to look at the people that are there and say "we're going to rock these people."

Overall, I loved it. Had a much better time than I did at Lolla '08.

I need to clarify, I had a good time! Just not a whole lot of standout moments for me, but that's probably my issue, not the band. JH asked what I thought so I obliged, wouldn't have divulged otherwise :)

Barclays show was great!

I didn't see the opener. I did see awolnation and they killed it. The crowd had ZERO interest in them unfortunately. They are such a good band too. So much energy from these guys. To hear Run as the opener was interesting. Great song.
    AWOL closed with Sail and I'm sure a lot of people went "ahhhhhh" and finally realized who they were.

Prophets were great for the music. My lord, to hear RATM perform their songs was amazing.

Breal and ChuckD did s great job emcing. It's not Zach but they did a great job.

Ghost of Tom Joad was great with Aaron from AWOL. Again he brought his energy on stage. Morellos solo was amazing. I'd heard it via utube before, but to hear it live was amazing.

Pit looked fun but I wanted to hear the music so I opted side of the soundboard. Got to see Juliet Louis and Michael Moore. Ms Juliet danced the whole time she was there it seemed. She's a fan!

I got a setlist too. Sound board guy walked over and shook my hand and asked "how'd it sound?!?" GREAT SHOW!!! I told him.

Great sound. Great show.

Enjoy!!!

So I'm a little embarrassed that I know this but I do. Juliet Lewis and Brad Wilk are an item...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,732
    Suziemay said:

Suziemay said:

I thought the show was solid and I'm glad I went because I've never seen Rage before, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Not really sure what I was expecting to be honest, might be the Pearl Jam factor (in that I just saw PJ at Fenway and Wrigley so every show I see following will not even come close to those experiences). Wish they played longer, I think they played a little over 90 minutes? Maybe that's normal, but I've come to expect 2 hour sets.

I didn't think there was much on-stage chemistry, like everyone was kinda doing their own thing. Not very cohesive.

I also would have preferred if they scratched the DJ set and played an extra 15 minutes. If there were no openers it would have been cool, but we already sat through two openers so I think we were sufficiently warmed up. I thought it really killed the energy. Or maybe just do 5 minutes.

I love Tom Morello, though, so I could watch him all night doing whatever. My favourite moment was Ghost of Tom Joad. Aaron Bruno did a great job, what a moment for him to join the Rage guys for a song. Oh, and they also did a mashup of Audioslave's Cochise and something that I didn't recognize. Probably a Public Enemy or Cypress HIll song. That was super cool.

At the end of the show, Brad Wilk handed his cymbal to someone on the rail (saw a Facebook post, he's a PJ fan so probably on here) and setlists were handed out. Tom also gave his pick to a very specific person, he made the security dude knew who he was pointing to and he didn't leave the stage until the person got their pick. I love seeing that stuff from bands, so that was super awesome.

Wakrat sucked. They were so angry and their lyrics were awful. "Gimme the gun, fuck the knife" "Now we're fucked really fucked, we are really super fucked, generation fucked". Seriously?!?!

I love Awolnation, but I think it's an odd combination since they have such a different fanbase. Rage fans are predominantly white men in their 30s-40s, I'm pretty sure Awolnation's fanbase are much younger and mostly female. I'm not sure if the crowd appreciated them. I think most people were probably pleasantly surprised at how good they were though. I saw them at Irving Plaza and they killed it, don't think they are suitable for an arena. Hopefully they are enjoying touring with Rage because they cancelled their own tour just to do this tour. They must be huge fans.

Also wonder if they were being overly ambitious by booking arenas. The entire top section of Barclays (the 200s) was blocked off completely. The floor was full at least, thank god. I was a little worried that it would be half empty.

Oh, and for those in GA, rough pit but hoping you're aware since these are mostly Rage fans. There was no way in hell I was going to go in the pit for this show. At multiple points during the show there was just a huge hole in the middle because there was a circle pit going. Looked like everyone was having fun but that would have been too rough for me.

Sorry if I sound negative! I think I went in with super high expectations. I was definitely much more pleased with the Audioslave show I saw a bunch of years ago, but then again, I'm a huge Chris Cornell fan, so probably unfair to compare.

You don't sound too negative. But it seems like I definitely had a better time at my show (Fairfax) than you did at yours. Like you, I'm all about Tom Morello. He's my second favorite guitarist ever (after Jimmy Page) and to see him doing these songs again was great. I've seen Rage twice; once in 1999 (got elbowed in face during Sleep Now In The Fire down in the pit) and in 2008 at Lollapalooza (I was SO FAR away) so this was actually my favorite Tom Morello experience (which includes two Audioslave shows). I thought he, Brad, and Tim rocked the joint as well as ever. And I thought B-Real and Chuck D did a fine job. Nobody can replace Zach, but if anybody could possibly stand-in for him, they picked the right guys. I thought B-Real was great on songs like Bullet In The Head. And the Cypress and Public Enemy songs were great too. Putting the lyrics of Public Enemy songs to No Sleep Till Brooklyn and Cochise was pretty sweet as well.

I don't think the opening DJ set went nearly 15 minutes. At least not at my show. It was about five to seven minutes tops. But I agree that it's unnecessary and frankly, I find very little talent or art in doing it. And I completely agree that Timmy C's band sucked beyond suck. He's a horrible singer and the guitarist sucked too. Awolnation just isn't my thing so I'm not even going to comment on them other than to say, yes, they cancelled their own tour and hopped on with Rage cause they're big fans.

And yes, a little overzealous booking arenas like Barclays. The place I saw them in Fairfax sat about 10,000 and it was near capacity. No way they're filling an NBA arena. But that's okay. I don't take Tom Morello as the type to look at the crowd and say "look at all the empty seats." I think he's the type to look at the people that are there and say "we're going to rock these people."

I need to clarify, I had a good time! Just not a whole lot of standout moments for me, but that's probably my issue, not the band. JH asked what I thought so I obliged, wouldn't have divulged otherwise :)

Barclays show was great!

Great sound. Great show.

Enjoy!!!

So I'm a little embarrassed that I know this but I do. Juliet Lewis and Brad Wilk are an item...
    Ahhhhhhhhh! That makes sense.
  • JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Suziemay thanks for your review! That makes sense, plus going after 4 epic PJ shows for the record books... yeah I could see how it underwhelmed you.

That said...

Suziemay said:

... I could have seriously written this review, it was pretty much my EXACT experience! Plus I was at the Fairfax show too so... only thing is I didn't see Rage at Lolla. But yeah, that was my experience, it was awesome!

And re: Juliet Lewis, I didn't know they were an item but I will say she's got great taste! He's quite attractive... :)

Suziemay you sound like you know a lot of "fun facts", I need to read more of your posts elsewhere ;)
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    I retain a lot of useless information, I fear that they are taking up too much brainspace because I'm becoming forgetful on things that actually do matter :worried:
    I can relate... I remember details and facts from concerts and about bands from back to the 80s, but can't remember the main thing I was supposed to get at the grocery store... or what my list of things to do at my job was... :)
  • cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,625
    Pit GA tickets for Saturday in Tinley Park, IL
    PM me less than face.
    JH6056 said:

Suziemay thanks for your review! That makes sense, plus going after 4 epic PJ shows for the record books... yeah I could see how it underwhelmed you.

That said...

Suziemay said:

... I could have seriously written this review, it was pretty much my EXACT experience! Plus I was at the Fairfax show too so... only thing is I didn't see Rage at Lolla. But yeah, that was my experience, it was awesome!

And re: Juliet Lewis, I didn't know they were an item but I will say she's got great taste! He's quite attractive... :)

Suziemay you sound like you know a lot of "fun facts", I need to read more of your posts elsewhere ;)
    Cool...glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,412
    Don't want to be rude asking, but has anyone come across the audio from last Wednesday's show in Toronto? My techno-illiterate fumblings haven't yielded anything other than just Kick Out The Jams, lol. I'm hoping something will surface and be pretty decent, since it was streamed over Facebook, lol.

I'd love to add a 5th "ticket show" bootleg to my collection, lol, thanks in advance for any help on this.

Glad most have enjoyed the shows so far, and for those going to the upcoming shows, prepare to be well and truly rocked, lol!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,887
    Just got the CD in the mail from Amazon today. Cool to see that two of the live songs on it were from the Hollywood Palladium show I attended back in June.
    Wish they would put the whole show out!
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,412
    May have gotten my fix, lol. Found it on youtube and ran the songs through a site that converts the videos into mp3s. Just checking it out now, lol.

Still on a high from the show, 2 weeks ago tonight!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • May have gotten my fix, lol. Found it on youtube and ran the songs through a site that converts the videos into mp3s. Just checking it out now, lol.

Still on a high from the show, 2 weeks ago tonight!

That's how I get all my individual songs these days; ripping them from youtube

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • New Zach De La Rocha single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLishDbwy9c

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Just scored free tickets for the Forum show next week.
  • korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 914
    kasedoug said:

Nice, ill be there. Still havent gotten tix yet but theyre goin for dirt cheap on stubhub
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,702
    Hell yes. Finally- now complete a full album.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • kasedoug said:

Man, you always score free tickets.

Good job! And have fun.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Saw them at white river.

Loved them.

Great venue by the way.

kasedoug said:

Man, you always score free tickets.

Good job! And have fun.
    Seriously Kasedoug, like at an almost unnatural rate you win tickets to shows!! Did you build some secret "Concert-ticket-win-er-ator" a la Phineus and Ferb kid's show, or what??
  • rmartin70rmartin70 Posts: 64
    edited September 2016
    Just got upgraded to front row for the Shoreline show tonight, can't wait. I'm hearing there is gonna be a special guest. Place holds 20,000 and the guy at the gate says they only expect 7,000. I knew there was no way they could sell out but damn
    Post edited by rmartin70 on
    12/31/1991 07/18/1992 11/04/1995 11/19/1997 10/31/1999 06/01/2003 07/18/2006 11/26/2013 10/26/2014
  • Bought pit tickets for the show in Houston 90% going just for AWOL. This will be my 6th time seeing them
  • AWOL was decent, but I couldn't get over their jump suits. They looked like the biggest geeks I've ever seen on stage: a cross between Devo and Uter (the German exchange student on the Simpsons).
  • rmartin70 said:

Just got upgraded to front row for the Shoreline show tonight, can't wait. I'm hearing there is gonna be a special guest. Place holds 20,000 and the guy at the gate says they only expect 7,000. I knew there was no way they could sell out but damn

Was the special guest the 92 year old woman who introduced the band? Was she related to one of the band members? I didn't hear her first couple of words, so I don't know if she mentioned who she was.
    edited September 2016

rmartin70 said:

Was the special guest the 92 year old woman who introduced the band? Was she related to one of the band members? I didn't hear her first couple of words, so I don't know if she mentioned who she was.
    Tom's mother, an old white woman, used to sometimes introduce Rage. Maybe it was her.

Here she is in like 2000 doing it.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdvCSsAQFmY

Pearl Jam bootlegs:

rmartin70 said:

Yes, it was Tom's mother.

• korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 914
    edited September 2016
    Haha toms mom, when i saw Rage in 2007 i remember after the downpour and a great opening set from qotsa the crowd was getting a little antsy... This frail little old lady walks out on stage and says something to the effect of
    "Introducing the best FUCKING band in the world Rage Against the Machine!" As the crowd went nuts and they ripped into Testify. Was awesome! Hopefully she shows tomorrow in LA...
    Post edited by korn-1 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • LanaJayLanaJay Posts: 524
    Awesome Mom!
  • Great show, no special guest unless you count the AWOL singer coming out to sing The Ghost of Tom Joad with them.
    12/31/1991 07/18/1992 11/04/1995 11/19/1997 10/31/1999 06/01/2003 07/18/2006 11/26/2013 10/26/2014
    Hope we'll at least get Sen Dog to join for some of the Cypress Hill songs tomorrow since he's local.